PDA

View Full Version : Mares Reg's

MichaelJ_AUS
11-15-2007, 16:51
Hi Guys/Girls,

So I have decided on a BC, comp, occy, analogue SPG/depth/compass, computer etc. The hardest choice is the Regs.

I was originally looking at the MK17/x650 which seems to be discontinued at leisure pro. But since have decided not to feed the scubapro machine as I disagree with their 'business ethics' I have read about. Anyway, I decided to look at Mares regs (as I can get them from here instead), whats your thoughts on the MR12 Abyss? or the Abyss 22 (which from what I can see has only a different first stage).

I'm in Melbourne (AUS) so will be used primarily for cold water diving but also holidays in the north (tropics).

Is there much of a difference between the 12 and 22 to warrant an extra $100?? Or is the MR12 Abyss, an excellent set up for the price?

Thanks for your help.

Michael.

comet24
11-15-2007, 17:01
I have had a MR22 Abyss for about five years now. Great reg. Breaths very easy in any position up to and past rec. limits. Never had a problem with it.

Recently bought a Apeks 200 XTX because I got a very, very good deal on it. Took it on a liveaboard trip and did 27 dives on it in 6 days. I like my Abyss better.

The Abyss is heavy but I think it's the best I have ever used. Mine has the older plastic cover on the second stage but is the same as the current ones besides that.

Kabniel
11-20-2007, 14:46
used to own a Mares Proton Metal with the MR12 first stage. The only downside is the hose routing from the MR12, if you're diving cold in a drysuit then you will have your primary reg hose coming off the first stage nearly vertical behind your head.

If I can find them I'll dig out some photos to show you what I mean.

Airborne!
11-20-2007, 23:13
I love the Abyss 22. Even without all the fancy knobs and switches you see on some regs it manages to be a great breather at any depth. I would suggest a Sea Cure Mouthpiece or similar. It really makes the Abyss 22 much more comfortable…like night and day in some cases.

tenninstr
11-21-2007, 04:29
The Abyss is an awesome reg. It will take you deep and bring you back and will last a life time.

Silverlode
11-21-2007, 05:09
I have had a MR22 Abyss for about five years now. Great reg. Breaths very easy in any position up to and past rec. limits. Never had a problem with it.

Recently bought a Apeks 200 XTX because I got a very, very good deal on it. Took it on a liveaboard trip and did 27 dives on it in 6 days. I like my Abyss better.

The Abyss is heavy but I think it's the best I have ever used. Mine has the older plastic cover on the second stage but is the same as the current ones besides that.

Other than personal taste, is there a reason why you like the Abyss better than the Apeks XTX 200?

ScubaToys Larry
11-21-2007, 05:10
Your are right in that the only difference is the first stages, and the only reason for the more expensive 1st stage is if you need more "performance". For example, a few years ago, someone set a new world record for depth with a mr22 abyss... a bit over 950 feet. With the MR12, it would not have been able to deliver enough air at that depth... but if your diving is going to be recreational depths - 100 feet, 150 feet... then you'll never be able to starve our a mr12 unless you have 4 people all breathing off the same 1st stage.

It's a lot like owning a race car to sit in traffic, or a 4 wheel drive truck in the city. It's more for show than functionality if you are not doing extreme depths.