PDA

View Full Version : I sher wood like to know...

cow109
11-15-2007, 18:54
I'm interested in buying a reg that meets two criteria: 1.) simplicity of design/ease of service, and 2.) two HP ports (for redundancy purposes). In doing online research my first problem is that I have only found one mfg. (Zeagle) that even bothers to tell how many ports their models have, and then there is Sherwood who--out of all their models--only offers that information for the Maximus (which happens to have two ports). Other than that there is no info out there. I'm presuming that single HP port models are far more common (???). Given my limited info, I've narrowed down my quest to the Envoy (cheap) vs. the Maximus (semi-pricey). All questions of price aside, I'm leaning toward the Maximus (ducking rotten tomatoes from Z. fans) but have questions about it: a). Is it basically a Brut (legendary simplicity) with some fancy features added that don't affect service difficulty, or is it actually more complex than the Brut? b). Does anyone know if the Brut itself has two HP ports? Thanks for any input.

hoop
11-15-2007, 18:59
I can't speak for the Brut, but have been very satisfied with my old school type Sherwood Maximus... It's like a timex; takes a lickin', keeps on tickin'.. Plus, I've heard it's an excellent cold water reg. I can't say one way or another since I'm not a cold water diver. Hopefully someone with some actual useful info can chime in.....!

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-15-2007, 19:25
My regs have two HP ports. Thought it was the norm. Perhaps not. What do I know? I *have* seen regs have different numbers of LP ports, though.

Puffer Fish
11-15-2007, 19:27
While I do not like them.... leasurepro has a sorting of all their regs (grey market though they may be)that have two high pressure ports:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Cat/Context_954/Filter_4%3d209/Page_1/Regulators/1159.html

cow109
11-15-2007, 19:30
Wow, now that's helpful! I figured there must be such a list somewhere. I'll check that out (haha, I presume Aqualung & Scubapro will be excluded from the list)!

Puffer Fish
11-15-2007, 19:35
Wow, now that's helpful! I figured there must be such a list somewhere. I'll check that out (haha, I presume Aqualung & Scubapro will be excluded from the list)!
remember, this is grey market stuff...they are there...just remember, great price - zero support and if you buy it, it is your problem...

cow109
11-15-2007, 19:53
Yikes, I went to that site! Now I know what you mean by grey market... I'm surprised Aqualung hasn't filed suit. I hate that website because it's ugly and slow (I have dial-up). Well, I did discover the Brut is one port.

BTW, the reason I favor Maximus over Envoy is first stage sealed/piston vs. unsealed/diaphragm and love the underarm routing. Now, does anyone know about the service complexity of the 2nd stage?

ScubaToys Larry
11-15-2007, 20:38
They are pretty straight forward. It's not really any different than any other adjustable second, except it has the built in right angle (almost) on the hose side and the adjustment is there.

So I wouldn't worry about serviceability of the second.. pretty simple.

cow109
11-16-2007, 18:19
Thanks, Larry. Sounds like the definitive answer!

Marcus
11-19-2007, 16:48
Just my 2 cents about the Sherwoods that I've tried. Went to Aruba and dove. The most reputable dive shop there had Sherwood gear. Dove with the Sherwood and didn't like it. Might have been an oasis, because it felt like a real wet regulator, but I wasn't impressed. My wife's reg failed at 80 feet and she started sucking water(probably due to poor maintenance of the regulator fleet). She did great and switched to her backup.

I know that Sherwood have great reliability record, but I just didn't like the way they provided air. I dove with a Poseidon Jetstream with Zeagle ZX backup. The zeagle breathed better than my primary poseidon, and I liked my Poseidon.

I'm buying my wife a Zeagle, and just bought and Apeks for myself. Both are great and I have tried em both. Point of this whole thing is that I tried some of the Sherwood stuff and wasn't happy with it.

cow109
11-21-2007, 23:56
Overall, Sherwood is good stuff so you're right, your bad experience was probably a maintenance issue. I've been obsessing on this choice since the original post. I have leaned toward the Sherwood for one reason only--my LDS and leader of the only dive group in town is a Sherwood dealer, and so I have tried to make myself like them, for reasons of loyalty, hurt feelings, etc. But I guess those are poor reasons for such an important decision. Over the last couple of days I find myself experiencing hypothetical buyer's regret every time I imagine springing for the pricier Sherwood. It would even look like crap with my other stuff (Seaquest BC w/ black, red, titanium)...haha, style is admittedly an even poorer basis for decision, but hey, a good looking diver is a better diver....uh, right?. The Zeagle keeps sounding better.. Oh well, I'll probably buy a computer from the LDS and he'll get over the reg. issue (I hope). And if the Zeagle becomes a reality that will be a definite ST purchase and I can finally quit being a freeloader around here!

Marcus
11-22-2007, 21:14
Overall, Sherwood is good stuff so you're right, your bad experience was probably a maintenance issue. I've been obsessing on this choice since the original post. I have leaned toward the Sherwood for one reason only--my LDS and leader of the only dive group in town is a Sherwood dealer, and so I have tried to make myself like them, for reasons of loyalty, hurt feelings, etc. But I guess those are poor reasons for such an important decision. Over the last couple of days I find myself experiencing hypothetical buyer's regret every time I imagine springing for the pricier Sherwood. It would even look like crap with my other stuff (Seaquest BC w/ black, red, titanium)...haha, style is admittedly an even poorer basis for decision, but hey, a good looking diver is a better diver....uh, right?. The Zeagle keeps sounding better.. Oh well, I'll probably buy a computer from the LDS and he'll get over the reg. issue (I hope). And if the Zeagle becomes a reality that will be a definite ST purchase and I can finally quit being a freeloader around here!

Buy the zeagle ZX line. It simply breathes a LOT better than the Sherwood, and at a very reasonable price. Comfortable mouthpiece, easy of breathing and nice and dry. I find that Zeagle has some of the best stuff for the price. I think you'll be more than happy.

cummings66
11-22-2007, 21:34
I don't think it breathes better than all Sherwoods, it is better than some and not as good as others.

For what it's worth my Apeks XTX50/DS4 breathes better than every reg I've ever used. My Sherwood Blizzard is a backup regulator for me as well, it's not as good but it does work fine and is not wet breathing.

For what it's worth I don't believe in absolutes, there is always going to be a better regulator out there. Zeagle makes some really nice regs and I wouldn't feel bad if I told you to buy one. Same goes for Sherwood and Apeks, they all have regs of a certain class that I like.

danielh03
11-23-2007, 03:11
Hey, ST carries a great reg with 2 hp ports for a great price. The OMS R-251