PDA

View Full Version : Pony mount on tank

cow109
11-15-2007, 19:10
I know pony mounts have been discussed into the ground, but hopefully this is different. I want to mount a pony to a tank, as opposed to sling or other BC mount, but most tank mounts I have seen involve the BC webbing strap. This is not available on my BC because of non-removeable rear weight pockets. That seems to leave the kind of mount that involves hose clamps on both the pony & the main tank. No so bad if you own the main tank, but how would I best mount to a rental tank quickly when the BC strap is not available? Is there something out there that just involves maybe two giant rubber bands? Thanks.

cow109
11-17-2007, 23:33
Ok, I guess I have to answer my own question: Buy a replacement BC band but instead of installing it on the BC just strap it onto the tank above the existing band, then use one of the standard brackets, such as the Quick-Draw.
"Great answer, David."
"Thanks."
: )

texdiveguy
11-17-2007, 23:42
This is the set-up I use to mount my 13cf ARGON cylinder to my doubles....works great. Since my cylinder is mount upside down,,,I don't use the cylinder neck strap as pictured.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQEUPB.html

cow109
11-18-2007, 13:03
That's exactly what I had in mind, only better because the cam buckle strap comes w/the bracket & is dedicated to the setup, as oppsed to my idea of using a generic replacement BC strap. Acc. to the mfg. website at Ultimate Pony Bottle Bracket (http://www.aquaexplorers.com/pony_bracket.htm) the MSRP price is $84.95 ($59.95 LeisurePro) vs. approx $130 for the Quick-Draw/BC strap combo.

I discovered one other option: H20 makes a pony bag for around $12 that uses something closely akin to my "giant rubber band" theory. That would be one way to get by on the cheap, but might be better to go with the AquaExplorer bracket to eliminate all wobble factor.

texdiveguy
11-18-2007, 13:22
That's exactly what I had in mind, only better because the cam buckle strap comes w/the bracket & is dedicated to the setup, as oppsed to my idea of using a generic replacement BC strap. Acc. to the mfg. website at Ultimate Pony Bottle Bracket (http://www.aquaexplorers.com/pony_bracket.htm) the MSRP price is $84.95 ($59.95 LeisurePro) vs. approx $130 for the Quick-Draw/BC strap combo.

I discovered one other option: H20 makes a pony bag for around $12 that uses something closely akin to my "giant rubber band" theory. That would be one way to get by on the cheap, but might be better to go with the AquaExplorer bracket to eliminate all wobble factor.

I know these are a bit pricey...but they work really well..I think you would be more than happy. I was lucky picking up mine used (had 4 dives on it), payed $20. Good luck.

fireted
02-25-2010, 17:17
I would only use the Ult. Pony bottle Brackets. They make changing over from any sized tank to tank an easy feat. There is also the ability to swap ponys at depth for what ever reason. They are strong and simply to use and operate. I have even used them on my OMS wing/Backplate set up by adding another tank strap in the middle to mount my Pony. I love em to death !