PDA

View Full Version : Top of the line computers?

JugglingMonkeys
07-21-2007, 10:47
I'm a new diver. Just certified open water. Buying initial gear. What are the "top-of-the-line" computers? Ones that will do both nitrox and air. What are brand names and model numbers?
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>i know that's a difficult question since there are so many choices and individual preferences, etc. But as a total newbie i'm looking for some direction.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>thanks very much!
<DIV></DIV>

TommyB
07-21-2007, 11:24
2 top of the line that ScubaToys carry is the
Areis Elite T3
Full details on the T3
http://www.diveaeris.com/p_computers_elitet3.html

ST only shows the epic, but they have the T3, not sure why they
have not updated their product page yet??
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AerisEpic

and the

Oceanic vt3
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=VT3

Both made by the same company, just some cosmetic changes on the layouts.
I think the vt3 only goes to 190ft, the t3 does 300 ft.

I have the T3. due to a little bit bigger character display.

list 899.00

downunder
07-21-2007, 11:25
From what I see, it is SOMEWHAT a personal preference. There are some basic things, but beyond that - some like conservative tables built in and some like agressive (then set the warnings as conservative as they like). I bought the Dacor Extreme (air-integrated wireless)a while back and have loved it. It doesn't do Nitrox, but that hasn't been a problem for me. My son bought the Airlab and I couldn't find more computer for the money. It isn't wireless, but that doesn't bother him. People complained about the size of the characters, but he doesn't have a problem with that either and I can easily see the numbers when I double check him myself.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Also, if you are going to keep the dive log on the computer, you really need air-integrated so that it shows breathing rates and pressure information. I highly recommend that!</DIV>

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 11:30
Is there any reason why you want top of the line? That will be very expensive and not very practical; especially since you are just starting out. Some of the top of the line models will have features you may never use unless you get into tech diving. I would just look for a reliable computer that has nitox capabilities and is easy to read and understand. Another thing to consider is if you want a liberal or conservative model. You can set some of the liberal ones more conservative but you can’t make a conservative one more liberal. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

TommyB
07-21-2007, 11:42
Look for one that has;
<ul>
turn air warning
depth warning
tank ending pressure warnings
PO2 settings for gas mixes (nirtox)
and buddy monitor (if you dive with wife, you can monitor her stuff also)
[/list]
If your like me, a geek, I wanted one that I could set all the bells and whistles. Turn on the CONS mode or not (conservative mode).

thesmoothdome
07-21-2007, 16:21
Top of the line is sort of difficult to describe. The most expensive recreational computers will be those that are air integrated and hoseless, usinga trasmitter to relay information to the computer. Are they the best? You'll get a lot of argument on it.
<DIV>I just looked at the ST website and found their Delta P VR3 Dive Computer. This thing can do everything. Open/Closed circuit,gasswitching, trimix,etc.I guess you could say that it's top of the line an it'll set you backa cool $1800.00, but it's complete over kill for the average recreational diver. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

downunder
07-21-2007, 17:15
I think tc_rain has is... Do you really need a computer that does 10 gasses (maybe even including that 'gas' after eating beans...http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley17.gif) and allows you to dive 1,000 feet??? For the money, I'd say a beginner would be well served by the Mares Airlab! Well, I don't want to say that too loud because they are in clearance at ST and we are saving up for one with the Mares reg package!

JugglingMonkeys
07-21-2007, 19:41
Hey, thanks everyone for your help!
<DIV>This is great. Just what I needed!</DIV>

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 20:19
The only brand I am familar with is the Oceanic/Aeris. I can tell you they have great customer service. In fact on Scubaboard you can look under their manufacturing section and see Doug Krause (works for Oceanic) is very responsive and goes way beyond the warranty to see that you are happy with your product. I know Larry will back me up on this one.

Prouty33
07-22-2007, 07:55
I am a beginner as well, decided to go with something affordable, yet would last me a few years. Ended up with a Suunto Mosquito (new off ebay, under $300). I know its a little small for some people, but works just fine for me, and does air, nitrox, deco, etc... I also went Suunto because they are very conservative, I don't need to push any limits as a newbie

Zenagirl
07-22-2007, 08:41
Congrats on your new computer, it's great you found something that you're comfortable with.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Personally, when I was a new diver I avoided the Suunto because of their over-conservative nature (IMO). I prefer to set my own level of conservativeness when I dive, and as I've become a more experienced diver, I'm even more grateful for the choice I made back then. I wanted a computer that I could grow with instead of having one that would restrict me or that I'd want to replace in a couple of years.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Recreational dive computers (excluding those for tri-mix, etc) all stay within the NDLs that you learned in OW, and there is no statistical or anectodal records that show that fewer divers get bent diving one brand over another.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Just my opinion.</DIV>

thesmoothdome
07-22-2007, 13:08
Congrats on your new computer, it's great you found something that you're comfortable with.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Recreational dive computers (excluding those for tri-mix, etc) all stay within the NDLs that you learned in OW, and there is no statistical or anectodal records that show that fewer divers get bent diving one brand over another.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Just my opinion.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I agree. I diveSuunto (Solution, Companion, and a Cobra over the years)anyway and I've never found myself limited in any way by it's conservative nature. </DIV>

cummings66
07-22-2007, 14:58
I think the vt3 only goes to 190ft, the t3 does 300 ft.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>330 feet operating limit for the VT3 unless it's in gage mode in which case it's 399 feet.</DIV>

Judestudio
07-22-2007, 16:25
I'm also voting for Oceanic / Aeris. While I think it's a great idea to get something you can grow in (ie, get one compatible with nitrox), I wouldn't worry too much about being top-of-the line though, a good computer from a good company will serve its purpose for a long long time. Just like cellphones, you can get a top of the line one, before you can learn to use all the functions, they go on and release another one with even more functions. Afterall, you only need your phone to act like a phone...

dmdoss
07-22-2007, 17:04
I like the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus II.

Zenagirl
07-22-2007, 17:04
I agree. I diveSuunto (Solution, Companion, and a Cobra over the years)anyway and I've never found myself limited in any way by it's conservative nature.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We've actually dove with quite a few people who were limited by their Suuntos and many who weren't. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I choose not to own onebut respect those who do, to each his own. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>

Rascal1933
07-22-2007, 19:57
Yes,all a matter of preference...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>A little trade secret is that different computers are actually made by the samemanufacturer,forthe different dive gear companies.They are just packaged/housedwith selling company gear name on them.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Do go with Nitrox compatible if you are at all serious about the sport &gt; as you will wish you had down the road.</DIV>
<DIV>That is my experience talking. smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>
<DIV>I Wish I had bought mynitrox computer from the start,rather than progress to one.</DIV>

JugglingMonkeys
07-22-2007, 20:03
Well, a $900 computer certainly sounds like a "top of the line" for me!
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif</DIV>

creggur
07-22-2007, 20:08
I would say it really depends on what you are going to do... My wife and I just got the Oceanic Veo 180's, it's kind of a bare-bones Nitrox setup..

I figured spend a couple of hundred now, grow into the Nitrox, and down the road spend the big $$ if I outgrow it.

If you are planning on going ahead full steam into technical diving, and you have the means, it may be worth it for you to go ahead and get one of the big-boys, as I understand dive computers will last for years if taken care of..

Just couldn't justify the extra $$ for the recreational diving that I'll be doing..

Good luck on your research, and let us know what you get!!

creggur
07-22-2007, 20:13
As a side note I did almost talk myself into an Aeris Atmos AI, just because I thought it looked coolsmileys/smiley16.gif. My wife wouldn't let me thoughsmileys/smiley6.gif.

Judestudio
07-22-2007, 20:25
Well, a $900 computer certainly sounds like a "top of the line" for me!
<div>http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif
This is a Scubapro Xtender V3 Q.A.B., only sold in Japan, listing for $1078. Other than cosmetic differences (which I have to say, impressively beautiful), it is no different to the normal Xtender you get for around $350.
http://www.scubapro.co.jp/products/dc/01/01.jpg

smileys/smiley24.gif over $1K with standard functions...I personally wouldn't call it top of the line.
</div>

JugglingMonkeys
07-23-2007, 02:13
<DIV>After studying all these posts and related links, I think I'm leaning toward the Aeris Elite T3.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

medic001918
07-23-2007, 06:15
I've been using an oceanic pro plus 2 which has been a great computer. The Mrs. uses the Aeris XR-2 that we got from scuba toys and it's been a fine piece of equipment as well. In the next couple fo weeks, I'll be swapping out the Pro Plus 2 for a Suunto D9. The Mrs. ordered one for me as a wedding gift. I'd be lieing if I said I wasn't excited about it...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Shane</DIV>

BSea
07-23-2007, 11:13
I have a Suunto Vytek. It does 3 gases which is about all I would ever need. It's also AI, but I've had a few problems with that part. I use a SPG so the AI problems is nothing more than an annoyance. I bought this 1 instead of the oceanic mainly because my LDS doesn't sell oceanic, and they have been a great dive shop for me.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>All things being equal, if I were you I'd go with the Aires or Oceanic.</DIV>

cummings66
07-23-2007, 18:51
I like the Oceanic and if you're ever going to do anything like advanced Nitrox or stage bottles the 3 gas switches are very nice. You can even have wireless on each tank if you wanted.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The VT3 is nice, or T3.</DIV>

Judestudio
07-23-2007, 18:57
Oh and remember to check how much extra you gotta pay for the PC download software and cable, it can add up to quite a bit!

Some of the higher end Oceanic / Aeris computers come with PC-download kit, can be handy!

TommyB
07-23-2007, 19:56
Took the VT3 back today.
Wife said it looked like a brick on her pencil thin arms :)

Got her this one instead
http://www.diveaeris.com/Images/p_computers_epic_complete2.jpg
Same thing as the Elite T3, only this one is a lot smaller.
About the same (maybe a little bigger) then a Rolex. And it actually has a "Real Watch componet" lolo

Judestudio
07-23-2007, 20:35
Took the VT3 back today.
Wife said it looked like a brick on her pencil thin arms :)

Got her this one instead
http://www.diveaeris.com/Images/p_computers_epic_complete2.jpg
Same thing as the Elite T3, only this one is a lot smaller.
About the same (maybe a little bigger) then a Rolex. And it actually has a "Real Watch componet" lolo

That's the same watch as Oceanic Atom 2.0!
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/gauges/pics/oceanic/atom2.0.jpg

JugglingMonkeys
07-23-2007, 22:02
Does the Aeris Elite T3 have a compass?
<DIV></DIV>If not, what do you use?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

TommyB
07-23-2007, 22:11
<div></div>If not, what do you use?
<div></div>
<div></div></font>

Nope, no compass--
I use the Tusa SC-240 with Compass / Backup SPG
so does the wife
http://www.tusa.com/index2.html

http://www.tusa.com/instrum/SCA-210_A.jpg

It shows on the Tusa page as a 210, but lists as a 240 if I recall on the Box at Scubtoys

That way if I lost the wireless AI, at least I still have a dive Computer, and SPG :)

Edit

here's the ST link for it

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=SCA210

it's a SCA-240

Tusa SCA 240 2 Gauge Console (Pressure &amp; Compass)
The Tusa 2 Gauge Console inclueds a pressure gauge and oil filled compass. This is the perfect gauge for someone with a wrist computer that still needs to monitor their air pressure and heading. Compact and in a nice rubber boot, it is small and virtually indestructable.

CompuDude
07-24-2007, 18:00
Yes,all a matter of preference...
<div></div>
<div>A little trade secret is that different computers are actually made by the samemanufacturer,</font>forthe different dive gear companies.They are just packaged/housedwith selling company gear name on them.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Do go with Nitrox compatible if you are at all serious about the sport &gt; as you will wish you had down the road.</div>
<div>That is my experience</font> talking. smileys/smiley2.gif</div>
<div>I Wish I had bought mynitrox computer from the start,rather than progress to one.</div>
One side note: You're not entirely right. There are about 4 main companies that make computers for all (ok, most) of the computer makers out there.

There are only a few computer manufacturers. Everything else just slaps their badge on an OEM model: 1-Uwatec, 2-Suunto, 3-Pelagic (makes Oceanic, Aeris and others), and 4-Seiko (Dive Rite, Apeks, Cressi and Tusa). After that, you're getting into tiny companies making niche products by hand (mostly for hard-core tech divers).

If not, what do you use?

</font>

Electronic compasses are useless. Get the Suunto SK-7 compass. Best one made, bar none.

cummings66
07-24-2007, 22:41
By all accounts the SK-7 is an awesome compass, and I'd suggest that for diving the electronic compass can be useful. It's not like we require degree precision under water for our short dives.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Being reliable enough to trust is another matter and I don't trust them, the old fashion compass is my choice.</DIV>

BSea
07-25-2007, 11:43
Here's another vote for the Suunto SK-7 compass. When I bought my vytec computer I looked at the Vyper, but I didn't like the electronic compass. Both products are Suunto, but the SK-7 is my choice for a compass regarless of manufacturer.

TAH 73
07-25-2007, 17:18
The adviceIwas given in regards to dive computers and actually applies to other gear both with dive and outside of diving, is look and see where you expect to be within 2yrs, if you don't see yourself doing Nitrox, deep, tech, staged dives, why get a computer that will do it. By the time you get to the point (possibly 5yrs) the technology has "trickled down" and also added on new features.
<DIV>If you bought a $500 computer now, and in 5 years another $500 computer I bet the second time around the computer you bought would be either similar in features or better than if you bought a $1000 computer off the bat.</DIV>
<DIV>For another example the laptop I am currently typing on right now was aver $2000 last year when I bought it, This year for $1300 I could get a better laptop than what I have, mind you this years $2000 laptop blows the one I have away.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

JugglingMonkeys
07-25-2007, 17:57
I've wondered about this very thing.
<DIV>Buying a cheaper one now and something even better later.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>BUT - is this computer analogy really applicable to scuba computers?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Do they really change that much over time - both in price and technology?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

CompuDude
07-25-2007, 18:10
The adviceIwas given in regards to dive computers and actually applies to other gear both with dive and outside of diving, is look and see where you expect to be within 2yrs, if you don't see yourself doing Nitrox, deep, tech, staged dives, why get a computer that will do it. By the time you get to the point (possibly 5yrs) the technology has "trickled down" and also added on new features.
<div>If you bought a $500 computer now, and in 5 years another $500 computer I bet the second time around the computer you bought would be either similar in features or better than if you bought a $1000 computer off the bat.</div>

<div>For another example the laptop I am currently typing on right now was aver $2000 last year when I bought it, This year for $1300 I could get a better laptop than what I have, mind you this years $2000 laptop blows the one I have away.
Good advice in general, but I wouldn't apply it to Nitrox. The cost difference between a Nitrox-capable computer and an air-only computer is pretty small, and it's hard to gauge what advances will come in the next two years. But Nitrox is helpful in a variety of circumstances, and I don't see a new diver, in particular, being ready to categorically state that they will or will not be diving Nitrox in the next two years.
</div>

downunder
07-25-2007, 18:25
I agree that you should buy what you expect to dive for the next few years, but I'm not ready to say that the dive computer will ever drop the way you see the PC market drop. Keep in mind that you have to 'upgrade' your home computer to keep up with software (well, historically at least) but not much changes in the dive world. Sure, 5 gases today... 10 tomorrow. I bought a while ago a really nice computer with wireless transmitter. I got the console/compass for it. The wireless transmitter setup ended up being just as bulky as my sons recent purchase of the Airlab. Wow, I could have saved several hundered dollars and had a computer that does everything and more than I need. That is what I don't understand - why computers like the Airlab don't get much attention. It is amazing what this thing does for the money (IMO). As a rec diver, I can't see ever needing more. As for the hoseless.... that's just one more battery and piece of electronics to worry about!
<DIV>Why do people not like the Mares Airlab????</DIV>

JugglingMonkeys
07-28-2007, 18:30
I just ordered the Aeris Elite T3. Got a great price from Joe!

TX Scubachick (Austin)
07-30-2007, 21:55
I prefer the SCUBA PRO computers...
Scuba pro is 'top of the line' gear! ...
I had the Uwatec Alladin pro Ultra and I just bought the Uwatec Smart Com (retail $900ish) ...
this one gives you even the amount of 'time' you have left on your tank... but it's not 100% accurate ..it under estimtes, making it safer for you, as the diver.
good luck.

JugglingMonkeys
08-03-2007, 17:28
i looked at that one, but quite a bit more expensive and didn't see what more it did?

medic001918
08-03-2007, 18:05
A friend dives with the Uwatec Smart Com and loves it. I like the features it offers, but I just can't get away from a wrist mount computer.

Shane

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 18:24
A friend dives with the Uwatec Smart Com and loves it. I like the features it offers, but I just can't get away from a wrist mount computer.

Shane
So take a look at the Smart Z or SmartTec. ;-)

Papa
08-06-2007, 22:07
I went for the Suunto D-9. Comes with software & cable (although not for Mac) plus compass and many other features. I agree its conservative, but at 55+, its what I want. My Dive Shop guy tried to steer me towards a Scuba pro, and said he didn't think it would work well for me. After seeing it at work, he agrees I did the right thing.
I think its all in what you want from a dive computer, looking at what's there, and going for the one that fits your profile.

Live2Dive Skate2Live
08-09-2007, 23:59
I like Aeris/Oceanic beacuse of their great customer service, they really seem to stand behind their products. My first Aeris/Oceanic purchase was an Oceanic reg (from Scuba Toys), I had some trouble with it while diving Galápagos, so I emailed Oceanic and they replaced it without a problem. Having said that, I went with the Aeris Elite T3 dive comuter, which is very similar to the Oceanic VT3, and I really like it. Happy diving!

Krakenn
08-10-2007, 05:18
I have been on a guided dive where the operator would not let you dive unless you had a computer.

Kraks

medic001918
08-10-2007, 09:36

I would, but the Mrs. just got me a Suunto D9 for a wedding gift...it should beshowing up today actually. Waiting for the UPS guy. I'll let you know what I think of it after I get a chance to dive with it.

Shane

CompuDude
08-10-2007, 12:27

I would, but the Mrs. just got me a Suunto D9 for a wedding gift...it should beshowing up today actually. Waiting for the UPS guy. I'll let you know what I think of it after I get a chance to dive with it.

Shane
Your repetitive dive times are about to get a lot shorter...

medic001918
08-10-2007, 13:16
Why? Is it that conservative of a computer? I'll compare the times from it to that of her Aeris after a few dives and see what it comes up with.

Shane

cummings66
08-10-2007, 13:50
Diving those two brands together is going to be fun. They're at opposite ends of the spectrum.

CompuDude
08-10-2007, 16:45
Why? Is it that conservative of a computer? I'll compare the times from it to that of her Aeris after a few dives and see what it comes up with.

Shane
Suunto is considered one of the most conservative computers, and Aeris/Oceanic is among the most liberal. Model doesn't matter, all comps by the same manufacturer use the same algorithms (there are exceptions to this, but it is generally true).

Uwatec is somewhere in between, I believe.

If you're only doing a dive or two, you may not notice much difference. But when you start doing, 3, 4, 5 dives per day, or go on a liveaboard, the difference is pretty significant.

Personally, I would consider either returning the Suunto and getting a top Aeris/Oceanic instead, OR selling the Aeris and picking up a new Suunto for your wife. That way your profiles will be closer... if shorter.

cummings66
08-10-2007, 17:59
Actually it won't matter much, since the Suunto is the limiting computer that will be the one they use to decide when to come up. I don't know how much difference it makes but they can make the other one more conservative if it's like the VT3.

I think that computer choices fit your personality. Do you like to remain well inside the green band, then choose Suunto. Do you like to skirt the outer fringes then choose Oceanic. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Think it through and choose.

CompuDude
08-10-2007, 18:20
Actually it won't matter much, since the Suunto is the limiting computer that will be the one they use to decide when to come up. I don't know how much difference it makes but they can make the other one more conservative if it's like the VT3.

I think that computer choices fit your personality. Do you like to remain well inside the green band, then choose Suunto. Do you like to skirt the outer fringes then choose Oceanic. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Think it through and choose.
Good point.

Most liberal computers can indeed be adjusted to be more conservative, however, a conservative computer, even in it's most liberal setting, cannot be made as liberal as a liberal computer.

I think it's less frustrating, however, when they both match. It also makes it easier for the person with the more liberal computer to keep mental tabs on their partner's upcoming limits, rather than depending on the partner to let her know when the conservative computer starts nearing limits.

I'd rather take a liberal computer and crank it down when I'm feeling conservative, than take a conservative computer and be stuck with what I've got. Perhaps that's a reflection of my personality, though. ;)

medic001918
08-10-2007, 18:40
I think we have a little time before we start pushing the edges of any computer. She just got certified this year, and is a new diver so we've been doing relatively easy dives to get her comfortable. And you're right, we would follow the most conservative computer. But we also tend to work with tables too just to keep the skill, so we'd have an idea of how conservative the computer really is being. At some point, I'm sure we'll get her an upgraded computer as well. Maybe at that point, they'll match. All great points to give consideration to as well.

Shane

cummings66
08-10-2007, 22:43
Look for a posting from me in the advanced forum under a Nitrox thread about my last 4 dives and consider those profiles when you think you can use tables and dive computers.

Using a conservative computer you might do so, but you certainly can exceed the dive tables so far that if the tables could talk they'd call the chamber op for you personally.

I think compudude is right however about his beliefs.

medic001918
08-10-2007, 23:05
Interesting thread. Glad you pointed it out and I just read through it. We'll see how the D9 goes. It didn't come yet (now it says not til Tuesday). So I still haven't gotten to see how it works or what I really think of it. Time will tell though. It does have the option to set the deep stops which is supposed to make it a little more liberal I think. Before I dive with it, I'm going to read the manual and see what I can find out about the algorithm though. See if I can come to an understanding of what it has to offer.
Commonly, my maximum number of dives in a day is two though simply due to time contstraints. But we do plan on doing some traveling next year, so it could come into play there.

Shane

SHAGGY
08-14-2007, 20:07
I have to echo the great comments on the uwatec Smart Com. Its a great computer that has alot of features that I really like. My work purchased my Smart Com for me and I'm now in the market for a computer for my son, but I just can drop a $1,000 on his, so I'm looking for one that has alot of the features of my Smart Com but with alot lower price tag.

Krakenn
08-17-2007, 00:09
I agree totally with your comments Computerdude.
If your spending the money on a top of the line recreation computer then I cant recommend a Suunto.

Kraks

cummings66
08-17-2007, 10:29
Now that I can disagree with. If a person whats something conservative and not liberal and they want a fancy computer then the D9 would be an awesome computer.

It's all in what you want, conservative or liberal? Some might say safe or dangerous.

JugglingMonkeys
08-18-2007, 08:45
i agree with compudude - a liberal computer can be set to either.
it's the most flexible.

MxDiver
08-18-2007, 19:19
I have friends who dive with Suuntos, they have never felt limited by them and wouldn’t consider buying another brand; it's all about what you want and what fits your type of diving.
That aside one thing I have noticed is they are pricier compared to models offering similar features from other brands.

subsur
08-19-2007, 07:02
Just reading the first page, i'm surprised noone mentioned Suunto. They have very good computers and lots of divers use their products. If all you need is to have Nitrox and Air capabilities - many computers will do it.

cummings66
08-19-2007, 08:17
Here at the end we were discussing how conservative the Suunto is compared to the rest of the world and it seems many wouldn't suggest using one because of how limiting it is.

I made a post that said something along the lines of, maybe they want a computer that's really conservative. To each their own is what I say, but do be aware that if you have a Suunto you won't be doing the same dives a buddy with an Oceanic will be.

medic001918
08-19-2007, 12:14
So Suunto D9 has an option to reduce the effect of how conservative it can be. You can change reduce it to 50% of it's normal. Not sure exactly how that effects bottom time's yet since i haven't played with mine enough to figure it out. I'll let you know once I do. It seems that maybe people'c conservative concerns have not fallen on deaf ears.

Shane

CompuDude
08-19-2007, 13:03
So Suunto D9 has an option to reduce the effect of how conservative it can be. You can change reduce it to 50% of it's normal. Not sure exactly how that effects bottom time's yet since i haven't played with mine enough to figure it out. I'll let you know once I do. It seems that maybe people'c conservative concerns have not fallen on deaf ears.

Shane

I dunno... 50% of normal? That doesn't sound safe. Perhaps it's a contradiction, but I trust the "regular" setting of a "liberal" computer more than I trust a "50% of normal" setting of a conservative one. Especially when you consider that the difference between the two computers tends to be pretty minor early on in the dive day. How could 50% be safe?

medic001918
08-19-2007, 13:29
Perhaps it was my inability to explain it quickly. But here is the explanation from the manual:

"The Suunto D9 also allows experienced divers who are willing to accept a greater
level of risk to adjust the RGBM model. The default setting is 100%, which gives full
RGBM effect. Suunto strongly advises you to use full RGBM effect. Statistically, very
experienced divers have less incidents with DCI. The reason for this is unknown, but
it is possible that some level of physiological and/or psychological accommodation
can take place when you are very experienced as a diver. Thus, for certain divers and
diving conditions, it may be desirable to set attenuated (50%) RGBM mode. See
Table 5.8, RGBM model settings."

I haven't had a chance to compare values when used in different settings as of yet. There are a couple of tables in the manual as well that might clarify things. I'll have to do some research and see what I can come up with. Hopefully that provides at least a minimal level of clarification. I've only done two dives with the computer so far, and those have been shallow dives in the standard settings.

Shane

MxDiver
08-19-2007, 13:47
I just got done looking at the owner’s manual out of curiosity. I looked at the tables but they appear to be for the personal settings. An attenuation of 50% on the model does not mean an increase of 50% on NDL, as the algorithm is not a linear function. Even with this attenuation the computer could still be considered conservative when compared to oceanic’s computers allowable times, just not as much. I highly doubt we well see a change for single dives, but I would like to see the difference after 3 or 4 days of diving 3 to 4 tanks per day.

medic001918
08-19-2007, 14:29
Thanks for checking the tables that I hadn't had a chance to read yet and completely understand. I think you're probably right with the effects on a single tank dive since the algorithm is not linear. Maybe one of these days I'll string together a few days of diving and see the effects or limits of the computer. And then be able to compare to the attenuated effects and see what difference there is, if any noticable difference exists.

Shane

Krakenn
08-19-2007, 23:29
Really interesting thread this thanks for the write up guys.

Id love to see the algorithum in a plan vs the Oceanic modelling on a 50% reduction for the D9

Kraks

JugglingMonkeys
10-14-2007, 14:32
I ended up going with the Aeris Elite T3.
Like it a lot!

But the manual is hard to figure out.

Also, i noticed they have updated the software that goes with this computer (as of 10/1):
http://www.diveaeris.com/service_software.html
New version: 2.1.4