PDA

View Full Version : Dry suit zipper wax

medicdiver
11-16-2007, 02:19
What alternatives are there to the wax that is supplied by the manufacture? I noticed that to replace the wax stick, it would be about $3.50 not counting shipping. Local divers have suggested using paraffin and others have recommended bees wax. I thought that people wanted to stay away from petroleum products when it comes the to zipper.
Does anyone have any ideas?

quasimoto
11-18-2007, 18:03
Your going to hear a lot of different opinions on this one. You have pretty much named the two favorites..bees wax or paraffin. So far I am still using the stick that came with my semi dry, it uses a dry zip. When it runs out I will probably go with bees wax.
Also I have heard of some using McNett's zipper lube...I think that is what they call it.

cummings66
11-21-2007, 12:35
My drysuit come with beeswax and that's what I use. I used paraffin on my other Viking drysuit as well with no issues. I'm not sure I trust McNett as it's silicone based and they say to avoid it, however why make it if it's bad for the drysuit?

medicdiver
11-21-2007, 15:30
My drysuit come with beeswax and that's what I use. I used paraffin on my other Viking drysuit as well with no issues. I'm not sure I trust McNett as it's silicone based and they say to avoid it, however why make it if it's bad for the drysuit?

That's true. Why would they make it for a drysuit if it isn't safe.

quasimoto
11-21-2007, 19:28
It comes back to changing the zipper or the seals. Silicone makes it harder to get a good bond. I would think that if properly cleaned there shouldn't be any issue but I have never changed a seal or zip.

cummings66
11-22-2007, 21:28
I know my LDS says that they can clean it up and it's not an issue, they also say you won't get enough on the suit anyways because you're just putting it on the zipper so it really doesn't matter.

However, I prefer something that I know will not cause an issue no matter what happens. I have somewhere laying around a tube of the McNett, not sure where because I stopped using it a couple years back when I found beeswax which I think works better anyhow.

ScaredSilly
11-27-2007, 08:32
I use pure parafin that is used for sealing jelly. You can buy for cheap at most grocery stores. I am still using the chunk I bought 10 years ago.

PsychDiver
11-27-2007, 08:54
Originally Posted by cummings66

That's true. Why would they make it for a drysuit if it isn't safe.

Don't count on that. Manufacturers are often more interested in a quick dollar than long term effects on your dive gear. Just take the lead based paints recently found on childrens toys, the numerous medicines rushed to market only to find out they cause more problems that they solved. Not saying it is a bad product - just that don't count on the logic that if they make it for us it must be OK. It is always - "Buyer Beware" I would go with either the beeswax or the paraffin. Then again $3.50 + shipping on an item that will used for years is not a bad investment.

kancho
12-13-2007, 13:35
How often do you wax the zippers of a dry suit? Every Dive?

WaScubaDude
12-13-2007, 14:00
Bees wax tends to be a bit softer, gets into the teeth, and sticks longer. The down side is that it can attract more sand and grit.

Parafin is a bit harder, tends to flake a bit more, but is "dryer" and less likely to attract dirt.

I found with bees wax you can sometimes run your fingers down the zipper and zipper seal and spread the "overage" out for one more good use.

cummings66
12-13-2007, 14:46
I wax my zipper after every diving session. IE I wax it Monday for the weekend Sat and Sunday. Come home clean the zipper and wax for the following weekend again. Seems to work fine.