PDA

View Full Version : What's the one piece of gear......?

Navy OnStar
11-16-2007, 10:23
What is the one piece of gear (other than the standard Reg, BCD, Computer) that you have found that is a "must have"? The thing that makes diving that much better for you? It could be a piece of safety gear, a pony bottle, a different reg/octo set up, a tickle stick, a specific type of computer (not brand, I.E. Air integrated, watch style, has a compass etc.).

Just Curious, lets hear it.

:smilie40:

scubaculture
11-16-2007, 10:39
A small backup torch that I always have on me, pretty much use it every dive night or day

BSea
11-16-2007, 10:46
A small backup torch that I always have on me, pretty much use it every dive night or dayI agree. I always take a light. you never know what you might see under a ledge.

Netsloth
11-16-2007, 10:54
Bungied secondary and long-hose.

Also, spring straps on my fins.

h2odragon1
11-16-2007, 10:58
SAFETY EQUIPTMENT! Dive Alert bcd horn; safety sausage; whistle; Mirror;etc.
Next would be Lights computer etc.:smiley20:

BobbyWombat
11-16-2007, 11:03
Diving shears. I'll never jump in the ocean without them.

Puffer Fish
11-16-2007, 11:10
Humm... spring straps would be pretty high up there.

I don't always dive like this, but my reg with IE wireless, and an air2... just two hoses. Wish I trusted it enough to diver deeper than 60 ft.

Oh, and HP steel tanks... what a joy...

TX1Chica
11-16-2007, 11:32
That strap on my mask so my hair dosen't get tangled up...What? Ok, its not tech gear or anything, but its important to me:)

TRACI
11-16-2007, 11:34
I agree, the mask strap is a must!

dallasdivergirl
11-16-2007, 12:41
my bio filter. I can always tell when I forget to put water in it. It makes a huge difference for me.

CompuDude
11-16-2007, 12:51
My 21w HID canister light. :D

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-16-2007, 13:07
In addition to gas delivery system and computer. I always a dive watch, light, slate, and sheers. Mask, fins, and exposure protection are useful as well, but I assume those are a given.

I might carry other gear depending on the dive plan and location, i.e. reel, SMB, mirror, strobe, whistle, additional lights, knife, dive tables, pony, etc.

Soonerwink
11-16-2007, 13:57
Springs straps are a must, and I prefer them on split fins. No more leg cramps

Tableleg
11-16-2007, 14:01
Not just a BC, but a weight integrated bc! If I ever have to wear one more weight belt, I think I'd stop diving. :smiley36:

Xspect
11-18-2007, 17:56
I think I'm one of the few who doesnt mind wearing a weight belt. But I never dove with a weight intergated BCD

quasimoto
11-18-2007, 17:58
Steel tanks, springs straps and the long hose. Not really in the order but close.

Silverlode
11-18-2007, 20:56
That strap on my mask so my hair dosen't get tangled up...What? Ok, its not tech gear or anything, but its important to me:)

Some sort of special straps? I still have problem with mask and hair...

medicdiver
11-18-2007, 22:45
I would have to say the spring straps made my life better.

navyhmc
11-18-2007, 22:48
My next must have will be a computer I think-up until now, I have never used one-more trusting of the tables I guess. Hey, call me old fashioned.

medicdiver
11-18-2007, 22:52
You're welcome. :-)

chewyjr15
11-18-2007, 23:15
my computer, and soon to be new dive watch

Krakenn
11-19-2007, 04:48
Shark Shield. Its like a comfort blanket.

Kraks

11-19-2007, 08:57
Shark Shield. <snip>

Hmmm. It seems like a person who likes to live on the edge might not want one of these. :smiley2:

CompuDude
11-19-2007, 10:45

Neoprene straps (like the ones with the ScubaToys logo) normally don't have as many issue catching hair as silicon straps. Less likely to tear, also.

11-19-2007, 11:21
I agree the neoprene mask strap covers are nice. They come in lots of interesting colors and designs so its easy to identify your mask.

CompuDude
11-19-2007, 11:42
I agree the neoprene mask strap covers are nice. They come in lots of interesting colors and designs so its easy to identify your mask.

Note the covers (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaskStrapCovers) don't help with the strap breakage issue, although they help some with the hair entanglement issue. Better are the ones that entirely replace (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RP22) the silicon straps... they cover both issues.

TX1Chica
11-19-2007, 13:52
I have the one that replaced the silicon strap. I sometimes still have prblems with my hair getting in my way. The only thing that really helped were those stupid looking braids my family talked me into that one time in Mex. I am not going to do that again, but it was helpful. I have seen other people with different types of hat's or bandanas. Do any of you use them? Do they help. (I am not talking about a full hood)
I thought you guys would think I was stupid for thinking the strap was important. But it is helpful. And I don't know many divers the dive without one

Navy OnStar
11-19-2007, 14:15
My hair is so short I don't think I could get it caught in the strap if I tried, but for ease I got one of the neoprene strap covers as well and my wife loves hers. She dives with her hair in a french braid with some heavy duty Pony Tail Holders in it in several places just to make sure it stays tight. Seems to work for her.

OnStar

PsychDiver
11-19-2007, 17:18
I am totally bald - shave my head twice a week, so the strap thing, while I see important to those with long hair, is not too critical to me. What I have found to be the most important piece of gear is my Ford F-150 with tank rack to haul all the gear. What a difference the right piece of equipment makes.

diversteve
11-19-2007, 18:01
The thing that makes diving that much better for you?
My video camera/housing...:smiley2:

bubble-head
11-19-2007, 18:09
I would have to go with my spring straps. I'd never want to go back to rubber ones....

floater
11-19-2007, 19:33
Spring straps are great, though bungee straps work too (not as springy though).

For NE diving I'd have to go with my 21W HID light. Makes it easy for buddies to see me (they see my beam cut though water), and for me to get their attention (a few flashed across their field of vision does it). Besides, there are a lot of dark wrecks around here so I need a good light anyway.

mcc2318
11-26-2007, 13:45
knife and light

tarheeldiver
11-26-2007, 19:18
Spring straps!!

Mycroft
11-26-2007, 20:00
May sound simple, but when shore diving, it is the small loop strap that I can hang my fins off of while walking to the water. Leaves my hands free to keep my balance and / or to carry other stuff.

mitchy
11-27-2007, 16:58
For me, a slate. I hate dive partners who stare at you when you give them the simplest of signals.

Marcus
11-27-2007, 23:58
By far the number 1 most important and vital piece of gear for a good dive is............mask defogger. Without this stuff, the fogging is unbearable. I don't think that anybody dives without it any more. Dives are miserable when it gets fogged, and this underrated and cheap supply is priceless.

nathanbarlow
11-30-2007, 07:18
I don't think that anybody dives without it any more.
hmmm i spit in my mask, rub it in and wash out overboard or in a bucket of water. Apparently potato slices does the same thing as well but even better. If my mask fogs up (never has) i would just flood it and empty it - good practice too :P

CaribbeanDiver
11-30-2007, 07:46
I must be strange but if I have a good working reg, BCD and computer along with mask and fins of course, I am good to go.
Now, I ordinarily carry along a light, knife and SMB but those are not essential to my dive. I wouldnt skip a dive because my light doesnt work or I lost my knife or forgot my SMB at the ranch.
I read the OP's question to be, what is a "must have" to dive. Wait, reading it like that, just give me gas and I am good to go.

DivingCRNA
11-30-2007, 10:55
By far the number 1 most important and vital piece of gear for a good dive is............mask defogger. Without this stuff, the fogging is unbearable. I don't think that anybody dives without it any more. Dives are miserable when it gets fogged, and this underrated and cheap supply is priceless.

I have a mouth full of mask defogger and it is free! :smiley36::smiley20::smiley2:

BTW-Do NOT rinse your mask in the camera bucket!:Ink_Missile:

DivingCRNA
11-30-2007, 10:59
My answer: Spring straps and a 7 foot hose.

ATTN Dark Wolf: Real men dive with a 7 foot hose.:smiley20::smilie39:

aprilgoddess1987
11-30-2007, 12:07
the neoprene mask strap, and the SMB

Goober
12-01-2007, 06:22
I absolutely have to have a bite of some good homecooked common sense and a nice slice of situational awareness. Wash it all down with a stiff moment of clarity...what else does a growing boy need to take on a dive?

Navy OnStar
12-01-2007, 10:38
I absolutely have to have a bite of some good homecooked common sense and a nice slice of situational awareness. Wash it all down with a stiff moment of clarity...what else does a growing boy need to take on a dive?

Probably the most improtant piece fo gear out there!:smiley20:

breeves617
12-01-2007, 11:18
The spring straps are great, but having a pony gives me huge peace of mind.

whse56
12-30-2007, 11:30
Light, amazing if you don't have it you will need it, if you bring one you probably won't need it.

Duckydiver
01-13-2008, 12:56
I'm gona second what goober said.

Also, nothing better to bring that good training.

cyclone3565
01-14-2008, 15:03
Snorkel, anyone want to buy my Spare Air - $150.00 with all parts and refill valve

DarinMartell
01-16-2008, 14:09
Wow, I agree with most of these, knife, light, smb, slate, etc.. But I think the most important to me is a redundant air source be it a spare air or pony bottle depending on the situation.

azdiver
01-17-2008, 18:22
Common sense and my intuition..... along with a tiny light I have clipped onto my bc to use for looking into nooks, crannies and overhangs for bugs and other critters.

booger
01-17-2008, 18:39
Definitely a camera. Somtimes we will start looking through the pictures before we even take off any of our gear!

marchand
01-17-2008, 18:58
It would probably have to be the crotch strap.

setesh
01-17-2008, 22:57
Biofins, I have a bad ankle and I could never quite relax because of the pain that regular fins caused. Now I'm free to daze!

DZorn00
01-18-2008, 06:37
AIR!!!!!!!!!!

Kingpatzer
01-18-2008, 08:27
spring straps, dry suit, bio filter . . . those three things make diving a very different experience.

chinacat46
01-18-2008, 10:29
Other then the essentials there is nothing I must have. Yeah I like the spring straps, camera, HID light, SMB, dive alert, etc... if I don't have these things I will make do though. There is one thing though that I started diving with in Feb of 2007 and can't see diving without as I use it on every dive for one thing or another. For lack of a better name I'll call it a "muck stick". It's a metal stick about 15 inches long with a an eye hook on the end. Kinda looks like a tent peg on steriods. I attached a wrist lanyard to this and then clip it to one of the D rings on my BC. I got it in Lembeh Strait and it was orignially used for muck diving. Besides using it for muck diving though I also use it for banging my tank, pointing at things, steading myself while taking a photo and few other things like whacking careless divers :-), playing with octopus and mantis shrimp... I had never dived with a "muck stick" but can't think about going on any dive without it. It's my must have piece of gear.

divingchef
01-18-2008, 10:34
:fulle:

bottle opener and corkscrew

Navy OnStar
01-18-2008, 10:58

Come on Chef..........I was talking about under the water!!!!:smiley36:

divingchef
01-18-2008, 11:05

Come on Chef..........I was talking about under the water!!!!:smiley36:

ME TOO!!!

Gombessa
01-18-2008, 12:21
It's not so much miscellaneous, but I ALWAYS regret it when I don't have my camera.

buddhasummer
01-24-2008, 18:11
spring straps...well fitting mask...my new solus backup light hmmm niiice...although thats three pieces...oh and I like the . button on my computer although I dont take it diving...

Zyxistal
01-24-2008, 20:04
While not really a piece of 'dive' gear I'm going with a Dive Jacket. I get COLD!

The wife says "octo holder".

cutter77
01-25-2008, 22:11
"I have a mouth full of mask defogger and it is free! "

azdiver
01-26-2008, 08:38
"I have a mouth full of mask defogger and it is free! "

:smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39:

Super-Duper Scubasteve
01-26-2008, 09:41
A dive knife, neoprene mask strap, and a set of spring straps are on my list for favorite things.:smiley20:

ScubaGir1
01-26-2008, 23:13
Oh, that would definitely have to be the retractor for the computer console to attach to my BC. And then buying a better octopus holder lol.
My next buy is going to be fin strap bungees. :)

SkuaSeptember
01-27-2008, 15:07
The absolute MUST HAVE would be drygloves! Yesterday's air temperature was 25 deg. Water temp was 39 deg. I wouldn't even have gotten out of my van if I had to go with wetgloves.

jeepbrew
01-27-2008, 18:27
Spring fin straps!

Grizbear98
01-27-2008, 20:26
my mask, it's clear and fits my face. It causes me the least amount of worry when I'm under

azdiver
01-28-2008, 16:26
The absolute MUST HAVE would be drygloves! Yesterday's air temperature was 25 deg. Water temp was 39 deg. I wouldn't even have gotten out of my van if I had to go with wetgloves.

YIKES!!!!! I can't even imagine going out of the house if the air temp. is 25 degrees anymore!! :smiley36:

whitenoise
01-29-2008, 03:02
My yellow Apollo Biofins with spring straps, from Scubatoys :smiley20: It makes putting on and wearing fins a breeze.

CompuDude
02-01-2008, 18:29
Other then the essentials there is nothing I must have. Yeah I like the spring straps, camera, HID light, SMB, dive alert, etc... if I don't have these things I will make do though. There is one thing though that I started diving with in Feb of 2007 and can't see diving without as I use it on every dive for one thing or another. For lack of a better name I'll call it a "muck stick". It's a metal stick about 15 inches long with a an eye hook on the end. Kinda looks like a tent peg on steriods. I attached a wrist lanyard to this and then clip it to one of the D rings on my BC. I got it in Lembeh Strait and it was orignially used for muck diving. Besides using it for muck diving though I also use it for banging my tank, pointing at things, steading myself while taking a photo and few other things like whacking careless divers :-), playing with octopus and mantis shrimp... I had never dived with a "muck stick" but can't think about going on any dive without it. It's my must have piece of gear.

Most of the DMs in Thailand had those (although I can't recall what they called them). Very handy, I'm going to try to find one. Works as:

1- Pointing stick, to show someone something.
2- Tank banger.
3- A replacement for the "one finger rule" to push off a wall and brace yourself, for instance, while taking a photo... at no risk to your finger!
4- A sand screw, again, to hold yourself still in a current
5- A measuring stick, since it had lines inscribed like a metal ruler
6- And a million other uses, only limited by your imagination!

I was going to swing by the local pro supply shop, but rain out of time, so now I'll have to find one online...

DarinMartell
02-01-2008, 23:54

Most of the DMs in Thailand had those (although I can't recall what they called them). Very handy, I'm going to try to find one. Works as:

1- Pointing stick, to show someone something.
2- Tank banger.
3- A replacement for the "one finger rule" to push off a wall and brace yourself, for instance, while taking a photo... at no risk to your finger!
4- A sand screw, again, to hold yourself still in a current
5- A measuring stick, since it had lines inscribed like a metal ruler
6- And a million other uses, only limited by your imagination!

I was going to swing by the local pro supply shop, but rain out of time, so now I'll have to find one online...

The owner of Emerald coast scuba in Destin had a couple of AOW students on the boat when I dove with them. She told them one of the best tools to carry is a stick. Could be a spear, a tickle stick, anything. Said that it allows you to push off something with minimal damage if needed, and she pointed out how much easier it would have been to get a look under the reef we dove if we were able to stick it in a open spot on the floor and "walk" down it headfirst.

justaddwater_ifukuda
02-02-2008, 19:05
Steel tanks, spring straps, HID light.

aprilgoddess1987
02-02-2008, 19:12
[quote=SkuaSeptember;125210]The absolute MUST HAVE would be drygloves! Yesterday's air temperature was 25 deg. Water temp was 39 deg. I wouldn't even have gotten out of my van if I had to go with wetgloves.

BRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I never dive without a SMB

johnyringo
02-02-2008, 19:13
A slate. I always seem to have something to say...is that a bad thing???

RoyN
02-07-2008, 01:56
My wetsuit! :D I would never jump in without it!

b1draper
02-07-2008, 07:29

It's called a "slap strap" or neoprene mask strap. It's great for guys too. However if you ware a hood the strap is prone to slipping off your head.

b1draper
02-07-2008, 07:35
I would say spring fin straps and my Suunto Mosquito computer

cummings66
02-07-2008, 20:28
I've been thinking about the question, to be honest even though it's a BC I would never think of diving without my BP/W. It's just so much nicer that I can't imagine life without it.

CompuDude
02-07-2008, 23:56
I've been thinking about the question, to be honest even though it's a BC I would never think of diving without my BP/W. It's just so much nicer that I can't imagine life without it.

Although there is both backback diving and monkey diving to consider... ;)

LCF
02-08-2008, 07:35
Spring straps were a great step forward, but I'd have to say if I had to pick one thing, it would be my Salvo 21W canister light. I'd rather not dive, than dive without a good light any more.

justaddwater_ifukuda
02-15-2008, 17:02
Steel tanks.

More air. Less Buoyant. Less dry weight.

cmburch
02-23-2008, 01:09
I like my small, less than 2' spear gun with a Velcro strapped small 4AA flashlight for looking in and around, rocks and boulders. I always carry a knife, but I have only used it twice in my life. Once to de-gill a big fish. Once to cut my line because the fish swam into the rocks and jammed my spear. I would have lost my gun otherwise. I normally dive around kelp, so a good snorkel also.