PDA

View Full Version : What course did you get the most out of?

Navy OnStar
11-16-2007, 10:25
What course/speciality (other than OW or AOW) did you personally get the most out of? Why?

Just curious.

OnStar

Desert_Diver
11-16-2007, 10:27
Hands on, in water benefit = Rescue Diver

Theory, class room knowledge = DM

Art

scubaculture
11-16-2007, 10:37
Rescue diver for me as well, though I also really enjoyed navigation

Chad
11-16-2007, 11:09
Rescue Diver

Navy OnStar
11-16-2007, 11:28
Rescue Diver

But why?

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-16-2007, 11:57
So far, nitrox.

I'm not yet rescue certfied. I know...

11-16-2007, 12:00
Come to think of it, I got the most from OW. OW gave me the ability to dive. All the rest of the courses have just enhanced my safety and enjoyment of the world that OW opened to me.

But then your question was other than OW or AOW.

Navy OnStar
11-16-2007, 12:07
Come to think of it, I got the most from OW. OW gave me the ability to dive. All the rest of the courses have just enhanced my safety and enjoyment of the world that OW opened to me.

But then your question was other than OW or AOW.
I figured we all have OW (or are getting it) and AOW is a sampling of 5 specialities, I haven't done my AOW so I want to know specifically why people like the different specialities.

comet24
11-16-2007, 12:18
OW or Nitrox.

Found I didn't learn much in AOW or rescue I hate to say. Now I came into those classes with professional water rescue training and years of experience with water rescue just no SCUBA specific training.

Chad
11-16-2007, 12:29
Rescue Diver

But why?

I think rescue makes you a more aware diver. Teaches you to be mindful of small things so that you can hopefully avoid an accident. It also gives you the skills to handle a real diving accident. Plus scenarios are fun. :smiley20:

Navy OnStar
11-16-2007, 12:40
Rescue Diver

But why?

I think rescue makes you a more aware diver. Teaches you to be mindful of small things so that you can hopefully avoid an accident. It also gives you the skills to handle a real diving accident. Plus scenarios are fun. :smiley20:
Thanks Chad. That's exactly the type of response I was looking for!:smiley20:

11-16-2007, 12:50
I want to know specifically why people like the different specialities.

I like Nitrox because it gives me more bottom time to look at wrecks.

Say what you want about PADI but their printed material is pretty good. You might look at a copy of the PADI "Adventures in Diving" manual. It has a good introduction to most of the specialties that are available through PADI.

Some of the specialties are sort of silly to have as courses, e.g., Boat Diving. Others are worth taking with an instructor if they interest you, e.g. Deep Diving.

And there is definitely no reason you have to stay with PADI. Do what works for you based on the shops in your area and your schedule.

Zenagirl
11-16-2007, 15:17
Rescue for sure. A "must take" course IMO.

medicdiver
11-16-2007, 15:39
For me, I have started taking the Deep Tec from Padi. I know that many people don't agree with deep air but what I like is the increased knowledge from the instructor that I have gained. Other than this class, I would have to say search and recovery just because I like finding things when they are lost. Rescue was a fun class but I didn't believe that it challenged me because of me working as a Paramedic. The stress of the dives didn't effect me. I would still recommend the class because alot of people don't get to experience the stress of knowing that someones life may rest in their hands if they can't or don't act fast enough with a calm mind.

MSilvia
11-16-2007, 15:46
For me, Rescue was the best recreational course I took after AOW. I feel that it helped me to shift my focus so that instead of being a "self-centered" diver, I became much more aware of what was going on around me. It helped to make me a more capable diver.

After AOW, I felt like I was quite able to execute a dive safely. After Rescue, I felt better able to manage a dive gone wrong, and able to effectively manage not only my own problems in the water, but other peoples problems as well. It was a tremendous confidence builder as well.

That said, I definately learned a lot more in my combined Deco/Advanced Nitrox/Recreational Trimix class than I did in all of my other courses put together. Instead of blindly obeying the recreational dive rules, I gained an understanding of why they are what they are, and what factors influence them. If I don't like the NDL for a given depth, I can plan around that now.

in_cavediver
11-16-2007, 16:46
Pure Rec - its rescue. Kinda something everyone needs

Overall, it was either Advanced Nitrox (iantd) or Cavern. The skills, knowledge and techniques are an asset to any serious rec diver, even if they never truly go tec. All of my further tec training (trimix,Cave) built off the foundation of those classes.

quasimoto
11-18-2007, 17:56
So far I would have to say..rescue. I learned a some of the physics of diving that allowed me to better understand what is going on while I am diving. I also feel that I am a better prepared diver.

tedwhiteva
11-18-2007, 18:18
Pure Rec - its rescue. Kinda something everyone needs

Overall, it was either Advanced Nitrox (iantd) or Cavern. The skills, knowledge and techniques are an asset to any serious rec diver, even if they never truly go tec. All of my further tec training (trimix,Cave) built off the foundation of those classes.
I agree with IN CAve - Intro to Tech (NAUI) and Cavern/Intro to Cave (NSS) taught me more in depth knowledge and skills than any other.