PDA

View Full Version : large tank and pony?

Krafcheck
11-16-2007, 12:43
I was wanting to get a pony for emergency air but my wife instead (no complaints:smiley20:) has ordered me a X8 119 for my Christmas present.

Question - If you or a dive buddy has a large capacity tank and the other has an 80 would you still want a pony? This is not a deco/tech question.

My thought is and OOA situation is more a less a uncommon event. The wife diving the 80 should need to come up first leaving approximately 40 to 50 cuft of air for (me) in my tank.

I can see a pony if I were to go solo and went past NDL and maybe carry a pony with a higher O2 blend or just air incase i dont have enough air to finish any staged stops, but for rec. diving I really dont see that happening. But assuming I do as my computer says and take the appropriate stops I should in theory be OK.

Thoughts:smilie40:

Anybody had a large tank diving within recreational limits ever could have used or wished they had a pony?

Chad
11-16-2007, 12:51
The larger tank is only buying you more back gas. A larger tank is not to be confused with redundancy. You still have only one reg. If you do something like sling a pony it gives you more options if you have a problem. If you have a pony you have a separate supply of gas and a separate regulator. Also, you can hand off a pony to an out of air diver and make the ascent easier.

Puffer Fish
11-16-2007, 13:12
I was wanting to get a pony for emergency air but my wife instead (no complaints:smiley20:) has ordered me a X8 119 for my Christmas present.

Question - If you or a dive buddy has a large capacity tank and the other has an 80 would you still want a pony? This is not a deco/tech question.

My thought is and OOA situation is more a less a uncommon event. The wife diving the 80 should need to come up first leaving approximately 40 to 50 cuft of air for (me) in my tank.

I can see a pony if I were to go solo and went past NDL and maybe carry a pony with a higher O2 blend or just air incase i dont have enough air to finish any staged stops, but for rec. diving I really dont see that happening. But assuming I do as my computer says and take the appropriate stops I should in theory be OK.

Thoughts:smilie40:

Anybody had a large tank diving within recreational limits ever could have used or wished they had a pony?
First off, I cannot believe she did that... when you need a pony... so if you would just send that tank to me... I will be happy to send you a pony... really, I will.

Actually that is one of my favorite tanks... and a great size.

I have a 6 cubic ft pony and a holder that fits on the tank... oh, and I use 100's, 117's and 133 Faber tanks.

If diving shallow, then I don't carry it.. deep, I do, and deeper still I have a larger pony.

A bigger tank is not emergency air for you.. but might be for others.

Other than practice, I have never used my emergency air, and hope never to. I have donated air lots of times.

But I also dive with a lot of people that also have bigger tanks.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-16-2007, 13:17
Others might disagree, just my 2psi.

If you dive deep or in tough conditions you should strongly consider a redundant and indpendent gas supply (a pony would qualify) If you dive shallow, in good viz, slow currents, and stay near your buddy you don't need one. Though you should practice air sharing from time to time.

texdiveguy
11-17-2007, 00:41
Heck... feel lucky your getting a really nice holiday gift....and now with your un-used 80 you can rig that for a super sized pony cylinder. Problem solved.

bubble-head
11-17-2007, 07:59
I dive a HP 130 and carry a 30 as a pony. You can never be faulted for having a redundant air source. If you don't need it, someone one else may. I had the charter's dive master run out of air on me last summer and it came in handy.

Puffer Fish
11-17-2007, 09:14
Heck... feel lucky your getting a really nice holiday gift....and now with your un-used 80 you can rig that for a super sized pony cylinder. Problem solved.
Hey, we have a deal.. I get his unneeded tank, and I send him a pony... quite putting ideas in his head.

vadiver
11-17-2007, 09:26
IMO, a pony bottle is useless if you plan a dive correctly with a minimum gas reserve. This works even if you are diving with a buddy with a smaller tank--once you decide which tank has less gas calculate the minimum off that tank. In this way even if you have a catastrophic loss of gas you could both make it to the surface using you buddies tank.

As for redundancy, this is another issue entirely. Once again I’d skip the pony and move into doubles—double AL 80’s are great in the ocean diving wet. With double tanks you have a redundant gas supply and don’t have to change over tanks during the surface interval. And as your diving progresses you can use the double AL 80s for technical dives (with added training of course).

In short, don’t buy gear to make up for a deficiency in dive planning—it only adds another level of cluster. If you want redundancy, go with doubles…if you are worried about running out of gas, don’t be—you have a buddy and a plan.

fireflock
11-17-2007, 09:39
Doubles have their place, no doubt, but I would not be in such a hurry to dismiss a big single and a pony.

For example, you might appreciate leaving some of that weight on the boat when you''ve just finished a NDL dive on a nice shipwreck in 110' of water and you find yourself bobbing in the water, watching the ladder and the props come out of the water in the waves, facing the fact that you have to haul yourself and your doubles back up that ladder and then waddle over to your seat.

Good gas planning and management is always a supurb idea.

Rich

frankc420
11-17-2007, 10:09
I've been diving an HP130 and just recently added a 30CF pony. Like someone said before, it only takes one time to realize it was worth carrying it.

quasimoto
11-18-2007, 17:50
I think it depends upon your dive. But for the most part I am going to say that you could use the pony. The bad part of it is that you end up having to buy a new reg and for the pony. Is it worth it? If you ever need it then yes.

bmp51
11-22-2007, 00:38
IMO, a pony bottle is useless if you plan a dive correctly with a minimum gas reserve. This works even if you are diving with a buddy with a smaller tank--once you decide which tank has less gas calculate the minimum off that tank. In this way even if you have a catastrophic loss of gas you could both make it to the surface using you buddies tank.

As for redundancy, this is another issue entirely. Once again I’d skip the pony and move into doubles—double AL 80’s are great in the ocean diving wet. With double tanks you have a redundant gas supply and don’t have to change over tanks during the surface interval. And as your diving progresses you can use the double AL 80s for technical dives (with added training of course).

In short, don’t buy gear to make up for a deficiency in dive planning—it only adds another level of cluster. If you want redundancy, go with doubles…if you are worried about running out of gas, don’t be—you have a buddy and a plan.

I have had a buddy get lost and get low on air (we dive in water with stilly bottoms)... anyway nothing major has ever happened but I started looking into a pony bottle after we were both low on air and could not find each other. while good planning led to enough air, and strict adherence to best practice of surfacing if you lose your buddy, returned us safely, Either one of us could have had a compound issue that resulted in a no buddy, out of air situation. If someone wants a pony I just can’t see the down side to having air you may or may not ever need...