PDA

View Full Version : Cruises?

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 11:20
Do you prefer cruises to dive many different places or a trip to one specific location for more dives? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Vercingetorix
07-21-2007, 13:18
Funny you should ask. Why not sign onto the ScubaToys February 2008 cruise (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CruiseFeb17th) to experience it yourself?

Joew
07-21-2007, 13:27
My only problem with the cruise idea is that you only get a few days of diving in, and most of the trip is spent at sea. If I have a week of vacation I want to spend as mant days diving as I can, so I prefer to fly there. That ST cruise in February looks like a great deal though. If I lived anywhere near Texas I'd be all over it.

Vercingetorix
07-21-2007, 13:34
That ST cruise in February looks like a great deal though. If I lived anywhere near Texas I'd be all over it. Where do you live? We might get cheap airfare for you.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>On this cruise, you'll have a bunch of other divers to share experiences with, both underwater and during the surface interval between ports.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The other nice thing about cruises for those of us with non-diver spouses and SOs; while the diver is diving, the non-diver is off doing her/his own thing. They don't sit on the ship, bored.</DIV>

Joew
07-21-2007, 13:59
I'm smack in the middle of the Pacific, so airfare isn't that cheap. And besides, I'll probably be diving in the Philippines in Feb. smileys/smiley4.gif Good point about having a non-diver in tow, though. I guess they'd have alot more fun on a cruise than if they were stuck on a live-aboard.

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 16:08
My wife wanted to go on a cruise before our last vacation. I explained I didn't want to spend the majority of my time on a boat, only to get off for a few hours at some port. I won and we ended up spending a week in Coz. The topic has surfaced again since the next vacation is approaching and I thinkI will end up losing this round.

thesmoothdome
07-21-2007, 20:35
My wife wanted to go on a cruise before our last vacation. I explained I didn't want to spend the majority of my time on a boat, only to get off for a few hours at some port. I won and we ended up spending a week in Coz. The topic has surfaced again since the next vacation is approaching and I thinkI will end up losing this round.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>One word: liveaboard</DIV>

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 20:50
Wife don't dive so there is no way I could get her to go for that . My LDS wenton Blackbeards earlier this year and offerd a great price. I mentioned it to the wife and it was a big "NO".

thesmoothdome
07-21-2007, 20:55
Just tell her you're going to take her on a cruise on a yacht for a week http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 23:26
Then she would put pin holes in my air lines

Skinsfan1311
07-22-2007, 02:07
Both!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Weuse cruises asrecon. If we like the port enough, we go back and stay for a week.</DIV>

picxie
07-22-2007, 02:16
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>One word: liveaboard</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I agree. Liveaboards are great. Dive, get out, eat, rest, dive, get out, eat, rest ... ahhh bliss.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>A cruise might be nice if you are wanting a holiday with a non-dive person though.</DIV>

Vercingetorix
07-22-2007, 08:12
tc_rain,

Have you ever been on a cruise? If not, you're missing a great time. If not, whatever you do, don't get an inside cabin; that's like a broom closet. Go for a balcony. And, before you say, "I won't spend a lot of time in my room" (something I've heard a thousand times), I'll just say "Yeah, you won't if you have an inside room". If you have a balcony, different story. I like to spend the time on the balcony, kicking back, feet up on the rail, sucking down a margarita, and watching the world go by.

If you go with a bunch of other divers, you can share the the surface interval between ports sharing adventures and swapping lies.

Checkout the ST cruise I mentioned above. You'll be diving with friends. You'll be a hero to your wife. We're talking win-win, bud.

Zenagirl
07-22-2007, 08:28
My husband and I did a conventional cruise that we tried to dive from and found that the two simply don't match for us. The amount of luggage we had to both dress for the cruise and dive was staggering!We've since found the liveaboard lifestyle and are hooked on that now. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif Admittedly, we're pretty hard core divers when we're on vacation since we go on vacation specifically to dive.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>However, I think that a cruise is the PERFECT vacation for a diver with a non-diving spouse, or a diver who wants the perfect blend of diving a little with lots of other options for activities. Cruising isSO much fun and such a great way to have lots of different fun experiences in a short time.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The ST cruise sounds like a total blast and had we not just spent 2 weeks on the Nekton Pilot, we'd definitely be considering joining in for the fun.</DIV>

Queen
07-22-2007, 08:38
I've been on cruises and just hated the experience, too many people, too much being "talked at" by the staff/overhead loudspeakers/fellow passengers, too much like grown up summer camp.

I know lots of people enjoy them and I say more power to them, they are just not my cup of tea. I enjoy a land location and my own transportation (rental car or scooter) and just leisurely exploring. That and I can try a dive op and if I don't like them, I switch to another.

przeor
07-22-2007, 14:05
As much as we love to dive, we like cruises almost as much! For starters we don't want every vacation to be a week long of diving (i know, i know...) We'll take cruises with friends or family, the majority who don't dive, and this way we'll still get some diving in- maybe recruit some family to try it-who otherwise wouldn't- and everyone is happy. Plus, as someone mentioned before we use it as recon- our last trip hit cozumel, belize, roatan, and costa maya. Now we have a good feel for some of the resorts in Coz- and our dive op was fantastic- Eagle Ray Divers.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Of course, the wife and I also enjoy the cheesy (to some) activities like the scavenger hunt, the shuffleboard/minigolf tournaments, trivia games, and of course all the delicious food! </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Oh, and a cruise to Alaska should be on everyones list- just amazing to see! </DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-22-2007, 14:09
Przeor - Congrats on becoming our newest Grouper!

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 19:39
Both!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Weuse cruises asrecon. If we like the port enough, we go back and stay for a week.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That is a good idea, never thought of looking at it that way</DIV>

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 19:46
tc_rain,

Have you ever been on a cruise? If not, you're missing a great time. If not, whatever you do, don't get an inside cabin; that's like a broom closet. Go for a balcony. And, before you say, "I won't spend a lot of time in my room" (something I've heard a thousand times), I'll just say "Yeah, you won't if you have an inside room". If you have a balcony, different story. I like to spend the time on the balcony, kicking back, feet up on the rail, sucking down a margarita, and watching the world go by.

If you go with a bunch of other divers, you can share the the surface interval between ports sharing adventures and swapping lies.

Checkout the ST cruise I mentioned above. You'll be diving with friends. You'll be a hero to your wife. We're talking win-win, bud.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
No, I have never been on one but perhaps one that is more geared for diving might be different. What I am looking at is say if you dock in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>St. Thomas</st1:place></st1:City> for 8 hours. You book a two-tank dive that will take place 1 hour after you dock. The dive will take approximately 3 hours. After the dive, you need to rinse your equipment, return to the ship, stow your gear and change clothes. This may take another hour or so. Now you just spent 5 hours and only have three left to look around the town. Maybe I am looking at it wrong. If so please correct me but that is my main reason for not wanting to take a cruise. Now if I didnít care about diving it would be a different story.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /></DIV>

georoc01
07-23-2007, 09:25
I agree on the recon thing. In the spring we did a cruise to Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya. The place that impressed us the most was Anthony's Key in Roatan. Would like to go back there for a week.
<DIV>As far as the scubatoys cruise goes, anything special planned for the diving excursions? Or are we all on our own or using what can be booked through the ship?</DIV>

94GTStang
07-23-2007, 13:36
I would much rather spend all vacation in one spot and explore everything the island has to offer. I'm a fan of towns at night and just getting the whole experience. Plus, I have a schedule at work, not on vacation

TxHockeyGuy
07-23-2007, 16:36
I think both types of vacations, cruises and just going to one destination, have their bright spots. The part about the cruise that just can't be beat is the price. Since I can drive down to Galveston I can end up getting on a cruise and having a great vacation for far cheaper than I could by flying to any island with similar accomodations. The downside is that if you like diving you will not get nearly as much in and your time in ports is rushed. So it all depends on what you want. I did find my cruise to be very enjoyable and relaxing, but if your primary goal is diving there are better options.

Skinsfan1311
07-25-2007, 11:16
Both!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That is a good idea, never thought of looking at it that way</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks! It has worked beautifully.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We were so impressed with Grand Cayman that, last summer, we returned for a week-long vacation. We fell in love with Cayman, and we're going back next summer too! </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It's the perfect vacation for a non-diving spouse. I get to dive every day, and some nights, and still have plenty of time to spend with the wife.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We're headed to Bermuda, in August, where I have 2 days of diving planned. If we enjoy it enough, then we'll go back for a week.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>A week in Coz is in the future as well. I can't talk her into Belize, (which we visited twice on cruises and had excellent experiences with a local dive-op. I guess there's not enough to do for a non-diver.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It works both ways. We decided, on a cruise, that Nassau is not a place that we would choose to return.</DIV>

creggur
07-25-2007, 13:02
My wife and I booked the ST/SB cruise before we were certified.. Seemed like a great way to go because:
<DIV>1) Meet and hangout with other divers</DIV>
<DIV>2) Cell phone doesn't work at sea</DIV>
<DIV>3) Get to dive at 3 great locations = recon mission for future vacations</DIV>
<DIV>4) The schedule of the cruise - 2 days party/3 days dive/1 day party</DIV>
<DIV>5) It's actually a pretty good deal</DIV>
<DIV>6) Wife wanted to</DIV>
<DIV>7) Natasha from SB is handling it and she's awesome</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>And last, but not least you get to meat Joe!!I think we should get a few drinks in him andnegotiatea "special discount" for the people on the cruisehttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>

Fideaux
07-27-2007, 08:58
We have been taking cruises to see new parts of the planet and going back if we like the area like the Caymans, Turks, Cozumel and Honduras.

Vercingetorix
07-29-2007, 10:55
No, I have never been on one but perhaps one that is more geared for diving might be different. What I am looking at is say if you dock in St. Thomas for 8 hours. You book a two-tank dive that will take place 1 hour after you dock. The dive will take approximately 3 hours. After the dive, you need to rinse your equipment, return to the ship, stow your gear and change clothes. This may take another hour or so. Now you just spent 5 hours and only have three left to look around the town. Maybe I am looking at it wrong. If so please correct me but that is my main reason for not wanting to take a cruise. Now if I didnít care about diving it would be a different story. Well stated. That's about it.

That said, if you use the dive operator's gear, then you don't have to worry about rinsing and stowing gear. You may want to use your own mask and reg, which can be carried in a small backpack around town if you don't want to return to ship immediately to stow gear.

But you are correct in that you would have difficulty doing both diving and touring at a port (depending upon length of time in port).

diverkatie
07-30-2007, 17:40
I am actually leaving on for a cruise a week from Friday. My husband and I are flying to Honolulu for a 7-day cruise of the Hawaiian Islands only (Norwegian has three US-chartered ships that ONLY cruise the islands - they don't hit international waters). We are diving on three of the islands. For us, this was a perfect way to get out there and dive Hawaii for the first time - get our feet wet, if you will pardon the pun :)

I've never been to Hawaii, so I am VERY excited about the trip (as anyone at work could tell you...).

Vercingetorix
07-30-2007, 17:45
I am actually leaving on for a cruise a week from Friday. My husband and I are flying to Honolulu for a 7-day cruise of the Hawaiian Islands only (Norwegian has three US-chartered ships that ONLY cruise the islands - they don't hit international waters). We are diving on three of the islands. For us, this was a perfect way to get out there and dive Hawaii for the first time - get our feet wet, if you will pardon the pun Which NCL ship? I'm booking a client on the Pride of Hawai'i for an October cruise.

diverkatie
07-30-2007, 18:07
We are going on the Pride of America. I just recently found out that they cancelled their diving excursions in Maui, but we were able to book something on our own through Lahaina Divers. But, that is one of the two ports where we have overnight stays, so we won't have to worry about getting back to the boat on time...

We have cruised with Norwegian 3 times in the past and always had a great time, so this one should be awesome, too - especially now that we are scuba divers :)

Splitlip
07-30-2007, 19:24
I am not a big fan of cruises, but thay can be grand if you are selective with which line you take. Also get a nice cabin. Preferably a balcony. Nothing worse than being forced out into the general population when you don't want to be. My problem with cruises has been you are a captive audience and cannot go home.
If you have a crap cabin, you can never go home. If you have a decent cabin, preferably with a balcony it can be great. (remember, room service is usually free).
And (remember my adminition) never, EVER take a cruise to the Bahamas out of Florida. Never.

jawfish
08-04-2007, 08:59
I love cruises. However, like other people here have said, you will not get in as much diving. It is really a choice. Do you want to go to multiple places or get in as much diving as possible?

Also consider this. The days at sea on a cruise to me are VERY relaxing. Sit on your patio, drink a few drinks, watch the ocean go by.....oh, I fell asleep, sorry!! LOL

The only way to know for yourself is to just give it a try!! Good luck!

quarrydiver
08-12-2007, 19:28
Cruises are a nice way to see a lot of different areas then when you find a spot you like, you can return for a week of diving.

Wolfie2012
08-12-2007, 20:01
Cruises are a nice way to see a lot of different areas then when you find a spot you like, you can return for a week of diving.

That is definitely one of the best dive-related reasons to go on a cruise! :smiley20:

letsgodiving
08-14-2007, 09:47
We have never really fancied a cruise in the past despite friends and family telling us how great cruises are. We have always preferred to be land/beach based, and the thought of being on the season rather than in the sea didn't appeal.

A few months ago we had the chance to tour a cruise ship in our local port, Tampa. We were that impressed with the ship that I started looking at prices. We can get an extended balcony on a 7-day cruise for around $700 pp. We don't need to get flights to meet the cruise so it is a VERY cheap vacation for us.

We booked a cruise for later in the year just to try it out. The trip we are on visits pretty good dive locations(Belize, Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya) so we can do a little bit of diving on our travels.

If we enjoy it there is a good chance it will become an annual occurrence because it is so cheap and easy for us. We are also going to start spending a week in the Keys every year. Vacationing without having the hassle of airports and the airlines is very tempting.

bks
08-25-2007, 21:10
We've Taken Al Ot Of Cruises Out Of San Juan In The Past And Its A Nice Mix Of Diving And Entertainment. We Always Book Our Own Diving And Do Not Use The Ships Diving Operators. Alot Of Cruise Ship Divers Haven't Dove In Years And That Cause All Kinds Of Problems. Balcony's Are A Little Pricey But Give You A Place To Put Gear. We Did Tahati This Way And Its The Cheapest Way To Go.

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 21:26
I like to find an island, stay 10 days (lower air fare
so more days at the same price) dive when i like and learn about the culture when out of the water. wife is a non diver so i have to blend the vacations.

cgvmer
08-25-2007, 21:31
Wife doesn't dive and she likes cruises....so we cruise. This isn't too bad since that is how I started getting certified with my son. This is also when we dove last, and had my 9 yr old daughter fo snuba.

gtjason2000
08-25-2007, 21:48
I don't care for the cruise scene. I am considering taking one though to visit a bunch of the south eastern carribean islands because the cruise would be way cheaper than a vacation to each island. I have this goal of visiting every country in the world. This is part of the reason I probably won't be going to the caymans or turks as they are not independent countries.

greyzen
08-25-2007, 22:10
Okay, I have to share this experience.

My wife and I got married a few months ago, (she was just my girlfriend prior :D) and decided to take a nice little short Cozumel cruise.

We chartered Carnival for a 4day, got to coz, did some snorkeling (she has since opted for OW cert) and had a decent time.

For those of you who have not been on a cruise please continue reading!

1) Most children over 5 and under 14 are running around unmonitored. They are board and have a tendency to not notice other people as they blow through you on the way for that 15th helping of free icecream.

2) That umbrella drink they change everyday? Get it without the big cup and umbrella... it's more liquid and 4 dollars cheaper.

3) Bring a suit for the first night of formal dining. The rest of the time they look at your funny but don't say anything.

4) Get a drink card for soda(but it doesn't work for dinner's)

5) Be careful of the waiters outside around the pools, they will walk near you... point and nod.. then run away. You've just ordered another drink or bucket of beer.

6) Tipping is not expected, it is mandatory and already put on your charge card. (Makes it easy if you ask me, just sign your receipt)

7) Make sure at night to go take a shower and dress 'decent' prior to going to the casino. They have roaming camera people and some of the pictures are just adorable.

8) Don't opt for the snorkeling 'adventure'. It is about 40 senior citizens, some 9yr old kids and their mother/fathers, and the idiot newly weds(guess who) all packed into a very tight circle being told repeatedly to follow the bouy. The ground under you is like 20' down, but cleaner than your kitchen floors at home. very little to see, save your money... register outside of the dive for a nice scuba excusion (you have from like 9am - 5pm).

9) Bring your passport, charge card (the boat gives you), regular credit card when you leave the ship. They will tell you, Don't worry just bring your boat charge card, but they forget to tell you to bring everything with you to get back on the boat :)

Other than that... have fun :)

Zenagirl
08-26-2007, 08:13
We did a cruise a few years ago and although it was a lot of fun and very relaxing, we decided that cruising and diving don't work well for us.

First there's too much danged luggage with all the different clothing you need for the cruise and the dive gear. Then you have to carry the dive bag on and off the ship, which can be a considerable distance. Then you're bound by the ship's schedule, so you may or may not get there in time to catch your dive boat (unless you book through the cruiseline). And last, there just isn't that much opportunity to dive.

We decided if we want to cruise, we're going to cruise, if we want to dive, we're going to jump on a liveaboard or do a landbased trip. Since then we've done 3 weeks on a liveaboard and 2 landbased trips, and have 2 more landbased trips planned, including 2 weeks on Bonaire.

Simply put, we'd rather DIVE!

chinacat46
08-26-2007, 10:40
I agree with Zenagirl I'd rather DIVE and cruising just doesn't seem like a good way to dive. I can see if you have a nondiving SO you might choose a cruise but for me if I'm gonna be at sea it will be on a liveaboard.

gtjason2000
08-26-2007, 11:27
I was thinking the other day it would be good if there could be a liveaboard the size of a cruise ship, then it would be much cheaper, but I don't know if you would want that many divers in the water. Maybe something in between cruise ship size and liveaboard size.

chinacat46
08-26-2007, 12:40
you mean like one of those windjammer barefoot cruises?

gtjason2000
08-26-2007, 14:13

do you mean windjammer sizewise or do some of the windjammers just cruise in between dive sites?

JugglingMonkeys
08-26-2007, 14:26
Are there any cruise operators who specifically cater to divers?

For example, with significant time for diving - rather than just a half day here or there?

georoc01
08-26-2007, 14:53
I think the big question is, how many divers would you really want on a boat. 10-20? 30+?. I know when I was on a cruise ship that stopped in Roatan last Spring, we dropped about 90 divers on Anthony's Key. Two groups of two tank divers, one group for the dolphin dive, and another group of discovery divers. We had 25 divers on our boat plus 3 dive masters.

To me, that is too many divers on a single boat. Anything about 15 seems a bit much unless you do multiple drops so the groups can split up. That's what we did in Cozumel with groups of 6-8, which didn't seem nearly as bad.

And that gets to the next question. How many dive masters would you need for such an operation?

I do like that Princess puts two instructors on the ships I have been on, doing checkout dives and reviews for those that haven't dove in a while. Having a captive opportunity to do a pool dive if you haven't been in a while is a benefit.

I saw that the Scubatoys cruise is up to 22 signed up. I don't know how many are divers, or how they plan to dive. Or how many other divers you will have on the boat with you that came outside of Scubatoys. It would be nice if they did help with the diving arrangements in port for their group. It would seperate their cruise from the others.

chinacat46
08-26-2007, 14:57

do you mean windjammer sizewise or do some of the windjammers just cruise in between dive sites?

I meant sizewise but I know people who have dove off the windjammers.

Travelnsj
08-26-2007, 15:29
Are there any cruise operators who specifically cater to divers?

For example, with significant time for diving - rather than just a half day here or there?

check this out...may be a cattle boat.
http://www.sportdiver.com/article.jsp?ID=51538&destinationID=10461 (http://www.sportdiver.com/article.jsp?ID=51538&destinationID=10461)

greyzen
08-26-2007, 15:50
Travel, that looks awesome!!

*goes searching for the credit card...*

Travelnsj
08-26-2007, 15:54
I need to look into it a bit more....but dives in some great spots....do not know if you can get in 4 to 5 dives a day that some people like ChinaCat needs.

JugglingMonkeys
08-26-2007, 16:15
looks great.
but a little expensive?
4k+ for 2 weeks...

gtjason2000
08-26-2007, 16:16
seems a little expensive but I guess it is 2 weeks.

chinacat46
08-26-2007, 17:21
Hey I'm usually happy with 4 dives but if I'm on a liveaboard and they are offering 5 dives then I'm usually there. Although I've been known to skip a dive every now and then. No sense pushing the envelope if you just don't feel like it.

scubasamurai
08-27-2007, 18:08
maybe scuba toys can set up an agressor boat trip?? guys your thoughts

Travelnsj
08-27-2007, 19:31
I'd be all for it...if I did not get Seasick walking in the rain....I'd vote for a land based trip.

chinacat46
08-27-2007, 19:51
Where do I sign up?

greyzen
08-27-2007, 20:21
I'd go!

CaribbeanDiver
08-28-2007, 11:46
Wife don't dive so there is no way I could get her to go for that . My LDS wenton Blackbeards earlier this year and offerd a great price. I mentioned it to the wife and it was a big "NO".
if your wife is not a diver and spent a week on Blackbeard's boats, your chances of getting her back on a liveaboard would be slim.
take her on a luxury liveaboard and your chances of getting her back will greatly increase.
Blackbeard cruises are great for the price, offer lots of very very good diving, an abundant amount of food that you never go hungry and lots of fun from the interaction with your new dive mates.

CaribbeanDiver
08-28-2007, 11:52
I did a Norwegian cruise last year and did a couple of dives. I could not book on my own as the shops all had contracts with the cruise line so the cruise line could overcharge me. next, many if not most of the divers were grossly inexperienced and poor divers. kicking coral, swimming with their hands, no concept of buoyancy, and a general danger to themselves and their buddy.
One lady hit her head in a swim through and the dive master had to carry her to the boat. she insisted on going on the next dive and the DM allowed her. next thing we know, she cant come back on our cruise ship because she has to stay in coz because she suffered DCS and needs some chamber rides.
I can promise you, I will never ever make any dives off a cruise ship.

scubasamurai
08-28-2007, 15:21
ouch, i did a cruise dive with disney in cozumel. bedside the local police checking us out with automatic weapons and taking a taxi ride to some run down red neck alligator marina, the dives were very good!! small group about 10 people and a big boat. the DM keep a close eye on us and at least the group i was with we were pretty much well trained and recently dove. disney required us to show c cards and our logs to showed we dove in the last two months of the trip!!!