PDA

View Full Version : VIP'd- Put on o2 Clean Stickers?

FishFood
11-16-2007, 16:45
Long story short, got some tanks VIPd at a dive shop other than my LDS. Went to get them filled today at my LDS and they said the VIP is out. Uh no, just had them VIPd...

On closer inspection the other shop had put Oxygen CLean stickers on my tanks instead of the VIP stickers. My LDS called the other shop to find out what happened and were told they ran out of VIP stickers. DOH!

My LDS VIPd them for free and put the correct stickers on there. So, now what should I do? Im thinking next time Im at the other dive shop Ill request/demand my money back and pay my LDS?

comet24
11-16-2007, 16:48
Are your tanks O2 cleaned if not that could be very dangerous. I would be very pissed.

BSea
11-16-2007, 16:48
Long story short, got my tanks VIPd at a dive shop other than my LDS. Went to get them filled today at my LDS and they said the VIP is out. Uh no, just had them VIPd...

On closer inspection the other shop had put Oxygen CLean stickers on my tanks instead of the VIP stickers. My LDS called the other shop to find out what happened and were told they ran out of VIP stickers. DOH!

My LDS VIPd them for free and put the correct stickers on there. So, now what should I do? Im thinking next time Im at the other dive shop Ill request/demand my money back and pay my LDS?

I agree, then I'd never set foot in that other store again.

texdiveguy
11-16-2007, 17:00
Long story short, got my tanks VIPd at a dive shop other than my LDS. Went to get them filled today at my LDS and they said the VIP is out. Uh no, just had them VIPd...

Weird deal!

Chad
11-16-2007, 17:01
I would definitely go get my money back. You paid for something and got nothing.

mitsuguy
11-16-2007, 17:03

I agree, then I'd never set foot in that other store again.

No kidding.... I mean, hell, they coulda at least told ya "hey, we ran out of stickers, we can't do it" or given you the option - "hey, we ran out of stickers, we'll go ahead and do it and come back for the sticker" or whatever...

jeeez

No Misses
11-16-2007, 17:19
It sounds like you have a good LDS there. VIP's around here are $15 each. You said tanks (x times $15=?). Since they took care of you, return the favor. Buy them lunch one day (pizza delivery, take out, etc.).

Pay it forward.

RoadRacer1978
11-16-2007, 18:56
It sounds like you have a good LDS there. VIP's around here are $15 each. You said tanks (x times $15=?). Since they took care of you, return the favor. Buy them lunch one day (pizza delivery, take out, etc.).

Pay it forward.
That is a really great idea. I have never thought about this, but people really do appreciate it when you do something like this for them. It goes to show that you really care because it took some extra effort to do this, rather than just give them money. I think No Misses has a great idea.

Puffer Fish
11-16-2007, 19:46

Pay it forward.
That is a really great idea. I have never thought about this, but people really do appreciate it when you do something like this for them. It goes to show that you really care because it took some extra effort to do this, rather than just give them money. I think No Misses has a great idea.
The guys at my lds are fond of grilled chicken sandwiches... it has become my standard bribe...

Denton
11-17-2007, 21:55
I (fishfood's loving father) haven't talked to the offending party, yet.:smiley15:

quasimoto
11-18-2007, 18:44
WOW!! That could have been a real problem.
I think I would spend more money with the LDS and if all else fails the pizza thing isn't a bad idea either.
I use to buy my instructor dinner when I rode with him since he didn't charge me for gas.

Denton
11-20-2007, 23:15
Ok, here is the story I got from the offending party.

My LDS obviously doesn't like him, it must be because they didn't get the business of the tank inspection. They've been using those stickers for three years now and this is the first problem ever. Sure, it says it has been scrubbed and good for mixing oxygen, but the sticker is white and not yellow so that makes all the difference in the world and the date has been punched so it is good for an annual.

Oh, also, the only thing that is needed for a tank cleaning for enriched air is to change out the O-ring.

I am going to let George at the Sea Divers at Ozark, Alabama, explain things to him. George has been doing the dive thing for over 40 years so he knows all the dive words to use when he talks to him.

FishFood
11-20-2007, 23:23

My LDS obviously doesn't like him, it must be because they didn't get the business of the tank inspection. They've been using those stickers for three years now and this is the first problem ever. Sure, it says it has been scrubbed and good for mixing oxygen, but the sticker is white and not yellow so that makes all the difference in the world and the date has been punched so it is good for an annual.

Oh, also, the only thing that is needed for a tank cleaning for enriched air is to change out the O-ring.

I am going to let George at the Sea Divers at Ozark, Alabama, explain things to him. George has been doing the dive thing for over 40 years so he knows all the dive words to use when he talks to him.

What he trying to say is, the other dive shop said the difference with O2 clean tanks is the o-ring, so they have no problem using the O2 clean stickers.

Puffer Fish
11-21-2007, 03:52

I think George has more than 40 years..

Ok, that makes even less sense... they change the o-ring and call that O2 cleaned? And that is supposed to be a VIP? Missing something obviously.

mike_s
11-21-2007, 08:37

Ok, that makes even less sense... they change the o-ring and call that O2 cleaned? And that is supposed to be a VIP? Missing something obviously.

what the heck? what shop told you that the only thing needed for tank clieaning is to change the o-ring?

They are full of ****.

You have to actually clean the tank if you are going to do partial pressure Nitrox fills.. no telling what type hydrocarbons (compressor oil, etc) might be in a used tank. Then you need to dry it completely and inspect it. Then you need to rebuilt the valve with o2 compatible lubricant (christ-o-lube) and o2 compatible o-rings.

Like the above poster said, something is missiing here.

Maybe they are bank filling with less than 40%. If that's true, they should have never put a o2 clean sticker on the tank if it wasn't cleaned and the o-rings were the only thing changed.

It just amazes me of the idiots out there who run dive shops now days.

frankc420
11-21-2007, 08:47
I'm surprised that shop hasn't gotten someone hurt.

Hydrocarbons are what your wanting to rid your tank of when you get it O2 cleaned. Many tank manufacturers say their tanks are O2 clean from the factory, but I'm not sure how much of that I would trust.

Simply changing the O-ring on a tank does NOT make it O2 clean! Let's hope it wasn't the shop owner that said that... If you have EVER had your tank filled with regular air that wasn't filtered with the proper filters then your tank is not O2 clean, regardless of what O-rings you are using!

:smiley5:

Puffer Fish
11-21-2007, 09:20
There is something so wrong with all of this, I am at a loss to figure out what is going on... it sounds like the shop does not know what the difference is between O2 cleaned and a VIP, and they don't know what O2 cleaned is... how can that be in this day and age??

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-21-2007, 09:41
Yes, it's confusing. Hopefully a lot is being lost in translation.

FishFood
11-21-2007, 10:26
Went back to the shop today and George stil had the stickers. I took a look at them. To the other shops benefit they are only PREMIX stickers. However, that makes even less sence.

1) They state "The Tank and Valve Have Been CLeaned for Premix up to 40%". You dont clean a tank for premix up to 40%...

2) The stickers say nothing about a VIP inspection, so unless the tanks were only filled at that shop we'd be SOL. To quote George, "The Stickers say nothing about rust or corrosion".

They've done this for three years, makes me wonder how many other people have had problems getting tanks filled?

in_cavediver
11-21-2007, 11:34
This makes little sense to me.

My VIP stickers have O2 info and say either:

'Tank cleaned for use with up to 100% O2'
or
'Tank cleaned for use with Premix nitrox up to 40%'

This also has the Date of inspection and number etc.

As others have said, to use premix nitrox, you need do nothing to the tank other than make sure it clean enough to breathe air from. (some may not be after tumbling or hydro). When pulling the valve, its usually a good idea to replace the tank o-ring while your at it (very cheap). Its not essential and I have re-used when I had to but its not what I like to do.

For O2 service, IE partial pressure nitrox blending or nitrox over 40%, you have to clean the tank and valve using O2 safe materials. Its not diffucult but it is time consuming (and a PIA).

It sounds like you setup a premix nitrox tank which with a VIP, is just an O-ring and sticker.

mike_s
11-21-2007, 11:53
To quote George, "The Stickers say nothing about rust or corrosion".

They've done this for three years, makes me wonder how many other people have had problems getting tanks filled?

There is no requirement that sticker says anything about rust or corrosion.

why? because there is no legal requirement for a Visual Inspection sticker. this is a dive industry self regulated rule.

Why so many different stickers? because besides agencies like PSI, there is really no exact standard for stickers. Even the PSI stickers aren't a requirement. All because there is no overal legal set of standards or requirements for this.

That's why you have idiots stickers on tanks for stuff they should do... :smilie40:

Puffer Fish
11-21-2007, 12:23
To quote George, "The Stickers say nothing about rust or corrosion".

why? because there is no legal requirement for a Visual Inspection sticker. this is a dive industry self regulated rule.

Why so many different stickers? because besides agencies like PSI, there is really no exact standard for stickers. Even the PSI stickers aren't a requirement. All because there is no overal legal set of standards or requirements for this.

That's why you have idiots stickers on tanks for stuff they should do... :smilie40:
And gee, everyone one I get is just one sticker.. I feel so left out.

FishFood
11-21-2007, 16:31

No, but these stickers didn't indicate that the tank had been inspected.

PsychDiver
11-22-2007, 21:58
Frankly, I'ld get my money and run!

mcc2318
11-26-2007, 14:53
wow i pray they dont get someone hurt