PDA

View Full Version : Black vs. clear skirt

mm2002
11-16-2007, 17:55
So what's the advantage? I hear a lot of folks love the black skirts, but nobody says exactly why.

edit: oh yeah, I'm talking about masks:smiley2:

cgvmer
11-16-2007, 19:00
I'm glad you edited that I was voting for clear skirts on all skirt wearers.

Airborne!
11-16-2007, 19:24
Dark blocks out more ambient light and gives you better center focus and contrast. This is especially nice for spear fishing and photo and video types among others.
Depending on the mask construction some clear can give you better peripheral vision which helps those that are more claustrophobic.
Black holds up better as most Clear tend to yellow over time.
Much is personal preference. Black is cool and techie to some people, but if you need that to make you look techie then your probably not anyway.
I think fit is more important than color anyway.

Soonerwink
11-16-2007, 20:26
Check out this other thread: http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/6163-clear-vs-black-mask-skirt.html

mm2002
11-16-2007, 22:04
Check out this other thread: http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/6163-clear-vs-black-mask-skirt.html

Well hell if I'd seen that thread I wouldn't have started a new one. :smiley32:

mm2002
11-16-2007, 22:08
I'm glad you edited that I was voting for clear skirts on all skirt wearers.

Remembering that there are probably folks like you here is the reason I did the edit in the first place. :smiley36:

What if I'd said "panties". :smilie39:

Soonerwink
11-16-2007, 22:11

No problem gives me an excuse to up my post count.:smiley31:

mm2002
11-16-2007, 22:22

No problem gives me an excuse to up my post count.:smiley31:

Those damn discounts will do it to ya huh...........

James
11-17-2007, 01:55
I bought a mask with a clear skirt and found the other day that I was getting a glare and couln't see very well. I cupped my hands around the sides and the view was 100% better. If only I would ahve known.
I figured the clear skirt would improve the perifrial view, but I was wrong. It gives no benefit other than to let me see blurs out of the corner of my eye occasionally when something moves in that area.

SarahBella
11-17-2007, 08:05
My current mask is clear and it works great...I did notice that when I tried on my sons mask which is black there was a difference in ambient light. I like the clear skirt because I don't feel so closed in. If I get into underwater photography in the future I may get a black skirt mask to make the viewfinder easier to see.

Xspect
11-17-2007, 09:14
Clear look horrible after about 2 years. But then again that can be a excuse to buy more gear

zahgurim
11-17-2007, 11:55
I like my skirt to match my beer --> the blacker the better.

It's nice not having glare come through the side. Great for snorkelling between dives.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-17-2007, 12:10
I have two masks, one black and one clear. They are about the same to me.

Travelnsj
11-17-2007, 18:02
The clear drives me nuts when taking photos in bright conditions.....too many reflections.

aggie99
11-17-2007, 20:22
In my Intro to Tech course I was told to get a black skirted mask because you want to be able to block out your buddy's canister light (which are incredibly bright) if he hits you with it from the side. It can cause your eyes to quickly dialate and therfore leave you partially blind for a few seconds. Only by accident (or an idiot) would someone hit you straight on in the eyes with their light.

Just my two cents....

ScubaCat
11-17-2007, 21:16
I love the black skirt. Just having trouble finding a mask that has the wide field of view & not a low profile. Anyone have any suggestions? (It would be nice to see what I'm doing when I buckle up all those straps on my BCD.....I've actually strapped my Octo in with me once :smilie39:)

paintsnow
11-18-2007, 07:10
and an added bonus is that with black skirts no one sees the parasitic jellyfish that come out of your nose until you take the mask off.

scuba_guy62
11-19-2007, 16:27
I have found the clear skirt can enhance field of vision especially when looking down, however having said that I am looking at the Atomic frameless mask after diving with a few people in Coz that raved about how they had an increased field of vision, and yes they look cool...lol.

mcc2318
11-20-2007, 02:49
black mask keeps the sun out

Silverlode
11-20-2007, 03:28
I have one with clear skirt, but will be getting one with black skirt. Nothing to do with looks or lights, more because the other one fits well, and the current one leaks every so often.

skippy11
11-20-2007, 18:51
I have a clear skirt on my mask, and have not had it to long. It has already started yellowing. I will be purchasing a black skirt on my next mask primarily b/c it won't turn colors. And, there are alot other good benefits to black too, not just cosmetics.

kgute
07-05-2009, 13:28
I recently bought a back up - so now have one of each. Which I wear will depend on what kind of dive I'm doing and what the activitiy is...... dark for photo shoots, clear for deep dives with lots of open space to explore- don't want to miss the shark learking on my fins......;)

bsktcase93
07-06-2009, 09:07
I recently bought a back up - so now have one of each. Which I wear will depend on what kind of dive I'm doing and what the activitiy is...... dark for photo shoots, clear for deep dives with lots of open space to explore- don't want to miss the shark learking on my fins......;)

ive got the same good luck

neugierig
07-06-2009, 09:33
i dive with black. have not tried it with clear ones. maybe i should get a backup mask with clear skirts then.

scubagirlj
07-06-2009, 12:40
primary is black with color correcting lenses but purchased clear skirted /clear lensed one for a day that was very overcast and we were doing 100'-did it make a difference? couldn't say for sure

navyhmc
07-06-2009, 13:12
I havea black skirt, never had a clear one, I might have to try one once to see how it is. Heck, my mask is about 25 years old, so it might be time for a new one...

Wormzer
07-06-2009, 17:24
Clear skirts are not so good for freediving/snorkeling, especially when hunting. While on the surface, sunlight will penetrate the silicon sides, making it harder to see what is below.

mm2002
07-06-2009, 19:19
I havea black skirt, never had a clear one, I might have to try one once to see how it is. Heck, my mask is about 25 years old, so it might be time for a new one...

If I read my history books correctly, most of the old masks were black, no? I mean, they were all rubber, eh? Please tell us stories about when they first invented silicone....:smiley20: C'mon gramps, you remember! :smiley36:

navyhmc
07-06-2009, 19:48

If I read my history books correctly, most of the old masks were black, no? I mean, they were all rubber, eh? Please tell us stories about when they first invented silicone....:smiley20: C'mon gramps, you remember! :smiley36:

Yup! back in the day when we had to be really careful with our masks or they'd dry rot on you. I think the first one's I saw made out of that there new fangled silly-cone was in 1983. $$$$$ to say the least. In fact, my first silicone mask (the one I still use) cost about the same as a high end mask today...:smiley36:

CompuDude
07-06-2009, 20:31
Y'all realize this thread was from 2007, right?

Not that the topic hasn't been revisited many times since then...

navyhmc
07-06-2009, 20:44

Yeah...Well, it's Kgute's fault....He did it!!! Wasn't me!!! Scubagirlj made me do it!!!! :smiley36: :smiley36: :smiley36: :smiley36:

underh2o
07-06-2009, 20:55
Depending on what type of diving I am doing. But, usually (when not diving my AGA) I dive black...gives me tunnel vision. but when just playing around clear

mm2002
07-07-2009, 03:31

oops.....:smiley36:

bsktcase93
07-08-2009, 21:49
they still got people to put in their 2cents so i guess it really doesnt matter that it was from 2007

Zanzi123
07-25-2009, 21:02
I just bought my first mask, it is clear skirt and I have no complaints about the glare many people mention.

Oh wow I just bumped an old thread. Sorry!

James
10-16-2009, 14:08
I just bought my first mask, it is clear skirt and I have no complaints about the glare many people mention.

Oh wow I just bumped an old thread. Sorry!

I think glare is more of a problem in sunny locations and shallow dives. I beach dive on the west coast of FL a lot so the water is super clear the depth is usually around 20ft with tons of sunshine. So there is a lot of light coming in from the sides of my mask. When I lost that mask I immediately purchased a new one with a black skirt.

I know it's an old thread, but still good info and a +1 to post count.