PDA

View Full Version : surface paddle with split fins

cdawg
11-17-2007, 04:19
i'm thinking about buying a pair of split fins but i don't know any other divers where I dive that use them. upon ascent, we usually have to swim a bit to get to the boat. or sometimes before descending we need to get to a buoy and descend together from there - also involves some surface swimming. so my question is, how do the splits perform on the surface? will i get left behind by my buddies? how does it work for things like towing a tired diver?

mitsuguy
11-19-2007, 15:06
i'm thinking about buying a pair of split fins but i don't know any other divers where I dive that use them. upon ascent, we usually have to swim a bit to get to the boat. or sometimes before descending we need to get to a buoy and descend together from there - also involves some surface swimming. so my question is, how do the splits perform on the surface? will i get left behind by my buddies? how does it work for things like towing a tired diver?

I love my splits... they suck on the surface swimming with your face in the water... for that fact, for me, all fins suck on the surface swimming face in the water... My Dacor DXD full foot fins are much better swimming like this, however, all fins are better swimming on your back... My splits kick ass on the surface so long as I'm on my back... (I have the Tusa Xpert Zooms and love them, by the way)...

Mostly due to the fact the power stroke is the downward stroke, and my downward stroke is half out of the water with fins on....

as far as power, on your back, towing a "tired diver" they are amazing... back to back against my Dacor DXD's, I'm faster, and it's easier work with the splits... it does take a split second longer to get some momentum, a split fins only real downside is it's initial thrust...

IrishSquid
11-19-2007, 20:00
I have the Tusa Xpert Zooms also. I put the SS spring straps on them and love 'em. About the only thing I would do different is probably buy the stiffer ones (all black).

scubaaaronh
11-21-2007, 11:39
I have the atomic reef red and my wife hsa the liquid blue and there is no lack of power from them in any way form or shape. Some people claim they arent as powerful and paddle fins and i don't agree with that.