PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Dives

nubie1541
11-17-2007, 18:15
Has anyone done much in the way of dawn dives, to watch the fishies head off to their day jobs?

Any advice on how early to start?

gibson1525
11-17-2007, 18:47
i've done one and have another scheduled in the near future. we got in the water about 30min. before the sun rise and dove with lights until it was bright enough. definitely a different dive, but worth doing. just make sure you know exactly when it gets light and get there with plenty of time the sun rises fast and if you are running late you'll just end up doing a very early in the morning day dive.

Daved
11-17-2007, 19:15
I'm an early riser. I enjoy the early morning dives best. Watching the reef wake up is a great experience. SI is spent having breakfast. It is a great way to wake -up!

quasimoto
11-18-2007, 18:57
About 30 minutes before sun rise works. It really seems weird to come out of the water with a warmer surface temp.

comet24
11-18-2007, 19:13
We did one on a recent liveaboard trip. Very cool.

Soonerwink
11-18-2007, 20:27
I have never done a dawn dive but sounds fantastic. Come to think about it, when I used to do a lot of fishing on our local lakes it seems we always had the best luck on outings like you describe. I bet the fish are looking for an early breadfast. Next summer when I go to Cozumel I may try doing at least a shore dive at that time of day. I don't remember any dive ops offering a dawn dive.

rach
11-18-2007, 21:49
we did one in curacao and saw quite a bit....it really is weird to enter the water in the dark and come up with the sunrise...but it really works up a great appetite for breakfast!

mcc2318
11-20-2007, 15:27
i;ve tired it i went about 15 min before sun rise

kyfriedchipper
11-20-2007, 15:54
Going to try this on my next trip - staying @ a resort where there is shore diving 24X7 - looking forward to it!

BSea
11-20-2007, 15:59
Going to try this on my next trip - staying @ a resort where there is shore diving 24X7 - looking forward to it!
Where are you going?

Scubakraut
12-11-2007, 14:35
I love Dusk dives and gliding into a night dive. Never really done a Dawn dive so early when the sun first starts rising. :-)

ScubaJW
12-11-2007, 15:02
Never done that! I should try do that for next Bonaire trip! Is it similar to night dives with more animals coming out ?

adv_diver1
12-11-2007, 15:39
I did a few early morning shore dives in Cayman. We would go in just as the orange sun began to break, but it does not last long before the sun is a blazin. If I could do it over, I would have started the dive about 20 mins. earlier.

MSilvia
12-11-2007, 16:02
Up here, the lobster regulations specify that you aren't allowed to catch lobsters from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise. They're nocturnal, and very active in the dark. By starting a 45 minute dive an hour before sunrise, I can enjoy all the benefits of easy hunting, and still surface with a legal catch. Hmmm... I'll have to try that. Easy parking too!

ReefHound
12-11-2007, 16:47
I have never done a dawn dive but sounds fantastic. Come to think about it, when I used to do a lot of fishing on our local lakes it seems we always had the best luck on outings like you describe. I bet the fish are looking for an early breadfast. Next summer when I go to Cozumel I may try doing at least a shore dive at that time of day. I don't remember any dive ops offering a dawn dive.

We booked "cock a doodle doo" trips last year with Paradise Dive. They are three tank dives on a fast boat, we departed dock at 5:30 am and needed lights for the first dive. We were finishing our second dive when the cattle boats were heading to their first dive. Three dives logged and back to dock by 11 am, sweet.

gibson1525
12-11-2007, 17:52
i like that idea. i'll have to try that on my next trip.

We booked "cock a doodle doo" trips last year with Paradise Dive. They are three tank dives on a fast boat, we departed dock at 5:30 am and needed lights for the first dive. We were finishing our second dive when the cattle boats were heading to their first dive. Three dives logged and back to dock by 11 am, sweet.

divechaplain-sara
12-14-2007, 00:37
I've done an early morning dive. A sunrise dive sounds like fun--if only it weren't so cold and early to get started or if I weren't such a night owl.

navyhmc
12-14-2007, 02:11
I used to do a few early dives before I went to school in early fall and spring. Some are pretty cool. I was watching a few sleeping bass once when a ray of sunlight hit them and there was instant scatter in all directions. They can be fun.

Travelnsj
12-14-2007, 11:25
This dawn dive was on Sipadan and it was really kewl.....it was a wall dive in front of one of the former resorts that were on the Island. You went out on the sand reef and jumped off...went down the wall and the wall had holes in it. In these holes were Bumphead parrot fish. They started coming out by the 3's or 4's...they all met together until there was about 75 or so....then they all took off for their daily feeding. Unfortunately when I was there the vis was only about 30' to 40'. It was still something to see them swim off....if good vis...it would of been spectacular!

divechaplain-sara
12-14-2007, 13:03
This dawn dive was on Sipadan and it was really kewl.....it was a wall dive in front of one of the former resorts that were on the Island. You went out on the sand reef and jumped off...went down the wall and the wall had holes in it. In these holes were Bumphead parrot fish. They started coming out by the 3's or 4's...they all met together until there was about 75 or so....then they all took off for their daily feeding. Unfortunately when I was there the vis was only about 30' to 40'. It was still something to see them swim off....if good vis...it would of been spectacular!

good vis is such a relative term--for the ocean 30-40 feet isn't that grand but to someone who does mostly lake diving that is awesome vis.

cheebaweebie
12-14-2007, 13:22
I do alot of spearfishing and we are usually heading to our spot just at Dawn. Been on a couple where a light is needed for the first few minutes but as viz gets better you see alot of movement and life. Also have done a few dives late day as the sun is setting but not much after total blackout or sunset.

cutter77
01-16-2008, 00:54
I've done an early morning dive. A sunrise dive sounds like fun--if only it weren't so cold and early to get started or if I weren't such a night owl.

I'd love to do a dawn dive, if only it wasn't at dawn! I just can't seem to get out of bed early enough. Now, if it's a midnite dive.... count me in.~

BuzzGA
01-16-2008, 10:49
I've done some early morning dives...up before dawn to get on the boat...but now I want to try in the water just before dawn. I think seeing the reef wake up would be really great. I think the first investment for that will have to be a coffee maker with a timer though...

MSilvia
01-16-2008, 12:47
good vis is such a relative term--for the ocean 30-40 feet isn't that grand but to someone who does mostly lake diving that is awesome vis.
I'd take 30-40 feet of vis in the ocean around here any day!

BobArnold8265
01-25-2008, 10:47
My wife and I like to do dawn dives whenever we are in Bonaire. You do often see some different critters during different times of the day and we tend to see more turtles at dawn. It's also a great way to start off your day !!!

wheelman
01-25-2008, 12:46
I am usually an early riser and like the dawn dives. That way I can get 2 dives in and still have alot of the day left.

cmburch
03-01-2008, 06:06
Has anyone done much in the way of dawn dives, to watch the fishies head off to their day jobs?

Any advice on how early to start?

Well initially this question sounds crazy to me. I can not imagine getting out of my vehicle - in the dark- in the cold - to change into my cold wetsuit - to get into 50 degree water. But if the weather was warm for suiting up it may be a cool but fleeting experience other than the up before sunrise part. I'm diurnal or whatever the correct word is. During the summer I have no problem getting up at 5:15 in the morning with the sun to work in the garden or throw the ball for the dog. In the winter time, I have problems dragging myself out of bed by 6:30 before the sun rises. Alaska in June, I can roll out at 4 am easily.

papawhisky
04-01-2008, 21:26
I can't believe anyone is thinking of diving before the sun comes up. Ouch. I don't see that in my future. Although it would justify having beer with breakfast aftewards.

Travelnsj
04-01-2008, 21:53
I can't believe anyone is thinking of diving before the sun comes up. Ouch. I don't see that in my future. Although it would justify having beer with breakfast aftewards.

You should of been in Sipadan when a hundred or so Bumphead parriot fish group together and as the sun comes up they take off for breakfast...a sight to see.

EuphoriaII
04-02-2008, 10:34
I can get up at dawn, but in the water with my gear on? That would involve getting up far before dawn.

BuzzGA
04-02-2008, 11:05
That's an easy problem to solve just sleep in your gear. That's what I would do and then just have someone dump me in the water, I'll wake up eventually :)

BillS
08-22-2008, 07:47
I recently made an early morning shore dive on an inland lake with my daughter before she had to be at work. We waited until there was enough light to see to gear up and were in the water before sunrise. A great time of day to be out. Water surface was like glass, no boat traffic, cool air temp., the sun was not bearing down roasting us as we got ready. We decended steadily below the thermocline to clearer water, the lights came out at around 50' and we bottomed at about 110'. No different than a night dive at that depth. What was amazing was that beginning at about 90-100 feet the bottom was covered with crawdads. Not to exceed our bottom time we ascended to around 60' for several minutes and then ended the dive above 25' with a safety stop at 15' just watching the multitude of sunfish and bass. When we exited the water the day was just waking up. My daughter and I agreed this was the best dive we had made to date. A great way to start the day! :smiley20:

3rdEye
08-22-2008, 08:31
sounds like a cool idea...getting up would be rough, but worth it.....especially if it was somewhere tropical

mrbheagney
09-02-2008, 20:02
Sitting on the dateline Tonga is the first place that the sun rises each day and it is a good idea to be in the water at 0530hrs for a dawn dive.