PDA

View Full Version : Back-up lights

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 16:12
We had a topic on primary lightsso how about your back-up lights that you carry on most of your dives. What do you carry?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I carry the Ikelite PCa</DIV>

Joew
07-21-2007, 16:34
I carry an Ikelite PCm. It's the little brother of the PCa. Runs on 4 AA's instead of 6. I really like it. It's compact, very bright, and you gotta love Ikelite's customer service.

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 00:19
i just changed from a sl4 to a q40eled plus and man is it nice its a quarter of the size and just as bright..i didnt know how bright those leds were

thesmoothdome
07-22-2007, 00:24
i just changed from a sl4 to a q40eled plus and man is it nice its a quarter of the size and just as bright..i didnt know how bright those leds were
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I used to carry a mini q40 attached to my mask strap. During bug season, I'd use a pair of them as my mains though. Only problem was you'd have to remember to cover them with your hands every time you looked at your buddy. </DIV>

medic001918
07-22-2007, 00:36
I use a UK SL4 on my backplate harness. It works well, but to be honest I haven't had to use it all that frequently. It's always there though.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Shane</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 00:38
i was wandering how the mask straps worked was thinging of getting some

picxie
07-22-2007, 00:57
Following my search for a good primary light I'm also going to get a Princeton Tec LED Attitude light as a secondary. Everyone raved about the LED lights. If it's no good I'll just use my current torch as a secondary (Mirage something??).
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PrincetonTecAttitude (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Princet&#111;nTecAttitude)</DIV>

k46tank
07-22-2007, 02:50
I carry a Ikelite PCa in my Ranger pocket, but I have been looking at some of the LED lights. I just can't decide which one to buy....maybe I'll have to get several of them.http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

Judestudio
07-22-2007, 06:50
I also have a Q40 eLED Plus (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Q40minieLed) for backup, there's a cool mask attachment to strap the light ....well, on the mask!

WaterRat
07-22-2007, 15:53
Halcyon Scouts for me. Got them years ago. I'll probably start looking around for some LED versions.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 19:53
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I used to carry a mini q40 attached to my mask strap. During bug season, I'd use a pair of them as my mains though. Only problem was you'd have to remember to cover them with your hands every time you looked at your buddy. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have seen these advertised and always thought they would kinda pull on the mask strap causing it toleak a little. </DIV>

mwhities
07-23-2007, 08:47
Halcyon Scouts for me. Got them years ago. I'll probably start looking around for some LED versions.
<div></div>
<div>Ron</div>

Ditto.

Michael

the gooch
07-23-2007, 13:37
I use the mini Q40 on the mask strap as well. Great for bug hunting. No problem with it causing any leaks.

TxHockeyGuy
07-23-2007, 14:07
If I'm diving local I dive with 2 primaries and a backup. First primary is a UK c8 eLED Plus, second primary is a Princeton Tec Shockwave II, my backup is a UK SL4 eLED. If I'm on vacation the Princeton stays at home. I do not like the twist on/off as I have already had one flood.

CompuDude
07-24-2007, 14:42
I usually dive with two backups. Photon Torpedo LED (similar to the Halcyon Scout) for main backup, UK MiniQ40 eLED for secondary.

BSea
07-24-2007, 14:50
Just recently bought a Salvo Rat light. It's LED, and I really like it. I'll probably get either another 1 of these, or a Rat Jr. next. I have a pelicanLED recoil that uses 3 C batteries like the Rat light. But the Rat light is just a better light.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>But 1 thing about pelican, they stand behind their products. I had the above light flood in salt water. They replaced it without question. They advertise that they are guaranteed for life, and all I had to do was mail them my old light. They sent me a brand new light in the original package.</DIV>

texdiveguy
07-24-2007, 15:41
I usually dive with two backups. Photon Torpedo LED (similar to the Halcyon Scout) for main backup, UK MiniQ40 eLED for secondary.

Ditto to the above......these are 2 great back-up lights.

My primary is usually a Dive Rite Wreck canister/50watt...or on some sport dives a Princeton Tech LED Shockwave.

CompuDude
07-24-2007, 18:40
Just recently bought a Salvo Rat light. It's LED, and I really like it. I'll probably get either another 1 of these, or a Rat Jr. next. I have a pelicanLED recoil that uses 3 C batteries like the Rat light. But the Rat light is just a better light.
<div></div>
<div>But 1 thing about pelican, they stand behind their products. I had the above light flood in salt water. They replaced it without question. They advertise that they are guaranteed for life, and all I had to do was mail them my old light. They sent me a brand new light in the original package.</div>
I agree, they stand behind their products.

It's a shame they have to, though. I started out with the Recoil. Flooded one within a month. Flooded the replacement two dives later. (And I'll ignore the annoying tendency for the pressure to turn the light on.)

Pelican cheerfully replaced both lights, only cost me a few bucks for postage. The Recoils are great lights. They now live around my house (one downstairs, one by bedside) as emergency lights.

I don't intend to dive with them again, however.

CompuDude
07-24-2007, 18:41

Ditto to the above......these are 2 great back-up lights.

My primary is usually a Dive Rite Wreck canister/50watt...or on some sport dives a Princeton Tech LED Shockwave.

Halogen with Lead Acid battery? Old school. :)

My primary is a Salvo 21w HID with 9 mah NiMH can.

BSea
07-24-2007, 19:22
The Recoils are great lights. They now live around my house (one downstairs, one by bedside) as emergency lights.

I don't intend to dive with them again, however.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'll still put mine in my bag, but as you say, it has become just a good flashlight to have around the house.</DIV>