PDA

View Full Version : Br-r-r. After 7 days on a liveaboard I get cold.

weight-n-sea
11-17-2007, 20:53
I'm new to this, but need help before the next liveaboard experience. Just finished up a week in Fiji and at end of week I was wearing a diveskin (.5), a 3 mil and a shortie on top. Still wasn't really warm. Saw a woman with a Titanium Henderson 7ml/5ml combination that she wore all week and was warm as toast. If you feel toasty at the end, are you sweating bullets in the beginning of the week? What's your recommendation when you're doing 25+ dives in a row. I'm 5'6 and 125 pounds (and over 50) but I don't know if that has anything to do with anything. Thanks.

abcitydiver
11-18-2007, 00:43
I Would think all kinds of factors are or could be at play here. Including how well you are re-fueling (eating) resting, if your suit is dry by the time you dive again, water temperatures, sun..wind..rest, etc.
The bottom line, sounds like you should invest in one heavier suit, and try and still bring your layered options....options, options options!

Zenagirl
11-18-2007, 07:28
The other thread has a good link to an article. Basically I think you need to start with a thicker suit to prevent heat loss in the first place. When we did our first liveaboard in Belize, the water was 79 degrees. Everyone thought I was nuts with my 5mm full suit, but within 2 days all the ladies (and some of the gents) were asking to borrow thicker suits from the boat, or layering two 3mm suits.

ladyfish
11-18-2007, 07:50
Zenagirl is right. Start off warm and stay warm all week! I've worn a 7 mil in 80 degree water. Why? I HATE to be cold. It was a bit of overkill, but I wasn't sure about the water temps, and I'd rather be too warm than too cold. You can always let the water into your suit by unzipping or pulling out on the neck seal.

I'm known for getting cold easily. I usually wear more neoprene than others. But if you stay warm, your body won't work so hard to keep warm, and you won't get so tired, and you will be able to do all the dives on a liveaboard.

If you have layers, use them. 3 or 5 mil with a hooded vest. Same with a 1 mil underneath. Whatever works. Keep your head covered, that is a key to warmth!

Good luck and stay warm.

ScubaJenn81
11-18-2007, 07:50
I never thought about that issue. It makes sense though. I am glad that I have my warm and toasty 7mm suit. I will drag it along for sure when I finally make it on a trip like that.

skippy11
11-18-2007, 08:24
Thanks Ladies. I have often wondered the samething. I stay cold out of the water, but was worried about being cold on our next dive trip. I have only done my certification and a few other dives, but they were not back to back. We are planning to go to Cozumel in February. My friends usually just wear a 3ml suit. Do you think this will be okay there...in February?

navyhmc
11-18-2007, 11:35
Excuse me for lurking in the womens issues (I was perusing the "New Posts" and found this, honest!)

Nutrition is still a big factor to the warmth. I've done a lot of very cold water dives in wet suits (last one was 49 degrees at depth) and the layers are important, but so is eating a good complex carb snack/meal between dives. In a cold weather medicine class I did for the navy, the first thing we were taught to do if we started getting cold was eat something. Even those nasty peanut butter crackers are a good snack to start your furnace up again.

BuzzF117
11-18-2007, 12:11
remember it isn't always the water temp that can make you cold. If you have a cool cloudy day you won't get the warmth from the sun that you normally would thus making your surface interval cold.

Daved
11-18-2007, 13:46
Buy a heavier suit. Being cold sucks.

Beecharmer
11-18-2007, 13:53
Love those liveaboards where they serve you wonderful Hot Chocolate after the night dive! Night dives are the worst for getting cold!

Daved
11-18-2007, 13:56
Hot chocolate for the inside and hot water poured into your wet suit--the best

navyhmc
11-18-2007, 14:06
Hot chocolate for the inside and hot water poured into your wet suit--the best

That too has been a favorite of mine. Definitely makes for a more comforting water entry: No sudden shock from cold water seeping into your suit.

abcitydiver
11-18-2007, 21:42
I did Coz last january in a lycra, 3 dives per day....5 days, no problem. Lots of people had 3mm shorties, most just lycra rashgaurds. Bring the extra warmth, ya never know. I'm traveling with lycra monosuits, a 3/2 full suit and a 1mm mono...and Thats for our trip to Coz this feb.

caroln
11-19-2007, 11:19
The worst thing for multiple dives is if you don't warm up enough between dives. I will be investing in a boat coat before my next dive trip for this purpose. A couple of people we dove with in Cozumel had these and were lovely and toasty between dives and after the night dives.

CompuDude
11-19-2007, 11:51
Doing 5 dives a day for 7 days is going to take a cumulative toll on your body. It takes time to re-warm your core, and with repetitive diving that extreme, the only way to deal with it is to use a much heavier suit than you would otherwise expect to need. Some people even use tropical drysuits (like the DUI 30/30), and endure being laughed at for the first 4 days and then have the last laugh when they're still toasty on day 6 and everyone else is moaning about the cold.

No Misses
11-19-2007, 13:17
Like Ladyfish said "wear a hat".

My mom will be smiling from her grave. YES, SHE WAS RIGHT. Wear a hat to stay warm. I always have a 3 mil beenie in my dive kit, regardless of expected water temps. I live and dive in South Florida. Even in the middle of August we can get some cold upwellings. The beenie makes a huge difference. I like the fact that it is not as confining as a full hood. My buddies all got a good laugh the first time that I put it on. Picture Snoopy on top of his doghouse aka Sopwith Camel :-) Now they all have beenies. The laughing stops when you hit the thermocline.

I am also a big fan of farmer john suits. I take a 3 mil FJ on my anual trip to the Dry Tortugas. If the water is warm I can dive with just the top or bottom. If I am cold I can combine both for the equivilent of a 6/3 (6mil on core / 3 mil on arm & legs).

Happy diving, Stay warm ;-)

booger
11-19-2007, 18:16
As far as the "nasty peanutbutter carckers" go, I prefer peanutbutter filled pretzels!