PDA

View Full Version : Br-r-r. After 7 days on a liveaboard I get cold.

weight-n-sea
11-17-2007, 20:54
I'm new to this, but need help before the next liveaboard experience.

Just finished up a week in Fiji and at end of week I was wearing a diveskin (.5), a 3 mil and a shortie on top. Still wasn't really warm.

Saw a woman with a Titanium Henderson 7ml/5ml combination that she wore all week and was warm as toast. If you feel toasty at the end, are you sweating bullets in the beginning of the week?

What's your recommendation when you're doing 25+ dives in a row. I'm 5'6 and 125 pounds (and over 50) but I don't know if that has anything to do with anything. Thanks.

Airborne!
11-17-2007, 22:43
I could write a dissertation on this subject, but I will try to stay briefÖor better yet I will link to some decent information that will at least get you thinking.

Staying warm on long dive trips is not something you progressively adjust too. It is like staying hydrated. If you try to hydrate after you get thirsty then itís already too late.

You need to be proactive and be aware that over time your body will lose heat to the water, even 80+ degree water. You are not trying to stay warm in the water, you are trying to minimize heat lose to the water. Itís not like going snow skiing and getting cold and just putting on more layers. Every dive you make the water pulls the heat from your body and just getting out of the water does not get your core heat right back.

How To Stay Warm Underwater - Scuba Diving Magazine (http://www.scubadiving.com/training/basicskills/TN_basic_stay_warm_underwater)