PDA

View Full Version : Getting fins on and off

moosicman
11-17-2007, 21:11
I was going through my cert. training and the fins that i have are the mares superchannels with the locking buckle straps (they lock like rollerblade straps where you push the strap through and then fold it back forward and lock it for a tight fit). anyway, my instructor didn't want me to open and close the strap lock mechanism, and instead loosen them up so i could just slip them on and off, which i suppose i don't have a problem doing if it is some sort of ettiquet thing, but i would prefer my fins be a bit more snug...is this just an instructor being a bit anal (he didn't make a big deal about it, it was just one of those DIR type things) or should i not do it like i want to (once i'm diving on my own)?

FishFood
11-17-2007, 21:16
I think youll find your instructors method the best. I thought the same way (your train of thought) at first, but after trying it a couple different ways, just slipping them on and pulling the straps tight is the best. To snap the buckles in place would be difficult with one hand. Youd be pushing the fin off while trying to get it on, not good... Also, the buckle could be a failure point if not properly secured.

Do it his way while in the class, then experiment on some of your first certified dives.

moosicman
11-17-2007, 21:23
well the thing is i don't think these are made to do that way...once you pull the strap through the buckle part it takes a LARGE effort to get them back through....he could not even get them to slide back and i was figureing that the buckle system was the reason why, as if you were SUPPOSE to buckle it the way i was...know what i mean? plus it takes me no time to get in and out of them like this....its just a press and snap and boom i'm out (or in)

FishFood
11-17-2007, 21:34
Oh ok, I miss read your post a little bit.

Normaly just unbuckling them to take em off works fine. However! For a boat dive, keeping them buckled when taking them off is a good idea. This way it's easier to hang on to them when climbing the ladder. Theres got to be a happy medium where they're tight enough but can still be taken off w/o unbuckling them?

Puffer Fish
11-17-2007, 21:37
well the thing is i don't think these are made to do that way...once you pull the strap through the buckle part it takes a LARGE effort to get them back through....he could not even get them to slide back and i was figureing that the buckle system was the reason why, as if you were SUPPOSE to buckle it the way i was...know what i mean? plus it takes me no time to get in and out of them like this....its just a press and snap and boom i'm out (or in)
Get springs and forget about it.

The problem with using the buckle on most fins, is that the buckle can come off while you are attempting to attach it. Don't know the system on yours, so that may not be an issue.

Anyway, last thing an instructor wants is to have that buckle float away, so, he will ask that you don't do that...

Take a look on yours and see if the buckle is snapped in place on the post, and comes off by pushing back on it....that is the issue.

Anyway... springs are the greatest fin invention I know of... and some have the end that fits into most buckles... so you don't have to change anything. Avoid the metal pull on the post ones, it tends to eat up the post.

Airborne!
11-17-2007, 21:48
He does not understand how the Mares ABS Buckles work. He is used to the standard buckles. With the ABS buckles you do not loosen them every time. That defeats the whole purpose of the ABS system which allows you to keep the straps at the same tension every time you wear your fins. Use the ABS system like you were originally and do not loosen them like he suggests.

moosicman
11-17-2007, 22:08
i thought so....what does the ABS stand for BTW?....

Flatliner
11-17-2007, 22:21
I have both the buckles (on a set of Volo Powers) and springs (on a set of Dive Rites) You are correct in that they are NOT designed to be used like your instructor is wanting you to use them. Just do what he wants for the class and then go back to using them correctly. However, I will also say that, as someone who uses both, Puffer is also correct in that the springs are WAY easier to use. After you have a complete set of gear, I would consider adding purchased or homemade spring straps to your fins.

moosicman
11-17-2007, 22:31
so the spring straps are interchangable and compatible with all fins?

Airborne!
11-17-2007, 22:53
Adjustable Binding System

jafo123
11-18-2007, 06:35
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I was told that if you get your fin straps to tight using the buckle system it can lead to you getting cramps during the dive. I do have the buckle system on my mares fins and I have had cramps on some dives and not others on the same day.

moosicman
11-18-2007, 07:47
i had a cramp or two yesterday, but i don't think it was due to the tightness of the fin straps...may have been lacking in potassium or a bit on the less hydrated side and out of shape as well...plus i have them snug...but not tight

Zenagirl
11-18-2007, 08:02
My husband has Mares Avanti Quattros that came with the ABS buckles. He found them to be the biggest pain in the neck to try to manipulate when hanging on a tag line to get back onto a boat. It ticked him off that I could slip my fins on and off so quickly, so I surprised him with spring straps like mine and now he's a happy camper. :D

ladyfish
11-18-2007, 08:04
Here's what I do with that ABS buckle.

1. Get your fin strap adjusted correctly with everything closed.

2. To remove the fin: do a figure 4 (cross one leg over other) unbuckle ONE SIDE (the inside buckle when your leg is crossed). Remove the fin. I have found unbuckling one buckle is enough to take fin off. Repeat on other fin.

3. Putting fins on: Do figure 4. Then put on fin with buckle on the inside open. Then easily snap buckle closed. This takes a bit of thought so you put the correct fin on, because by unbuckling just the inside buckle, you now have essentially a "right" and "left" fin--try it at home and you'll see what I mean.

You want the buckle closest to you to be the one you unbuckle and buckle. It is a royal pain to try and unbuckle the one on the outside of your foot, so I just don't mess with that one!

But as others have said, spring straps are the best--so easy to use!

diversteve
11-18-2007, 08:37
Part of the confusion here may be that I believe the OP is talking about the new ABS Plus buckles that are on his Superchannels.

It's a revision of the older design that most of us have seen - the one that would take several bent-back fingernails to use. The new ones don't have the red locking button and work entirely differently.

Here's a diagram of how the fins should be secured/removed during a dive.

http://www.scuba.com/resources/sizechart/maresfins2.htm

More detail: http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-113/012039/Mares-ABS-Plus-Locking-Fin-Buckle-Assembly.html

navyhmc
11-18-2007, 11:30
i had a cramp or two yesterday, but i don't think it was due to the tightness of the fin straps...may have been lacking in potassium or a bit on the less hydrated side and out of shape as well...plus i have them snug...but not tight

Banana's are your friend when diving. And a tasty snack too. :smiley20:

Normally if you get cramps in your feet it is from too tight fin straps. Another clue is if your toes hurt when the fins are on or after you take them off.

MSilvia
11-19-2007, 09:49
so the spring straps are interchangable and compatible with all fins?
No, but springs are made for most styles of fin. All my fins have spring straps, but I couldn't put the springs from my Jetfins on my Plana Avantis (or vice versa) without modification. Get spring straps meant to work with your fins, or make your own. You'll never miss the factory straps.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-19-2007, 12:04
Banana's are your friend when diving. And a tasty snack too. :smiley20:

Agreed. Hopefully the captain lets you bring bananas on board. Some are quite superstitious.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-19-2007, 12:06
So far the ABS buckles are not giving me any trouble, though spring straps are on my wish list.