PDA

View Full Version : Titan VS DSV

SarahBella
11-18-2007, 06:50
My husband and I are looking to buy regs for next season...so far we have been renting Aqualung Titans which work well. They breath easy and we were hoping AL would do the free octo deal again next year. Our other option is the Zeagle DSV. We have dealers for each locally and it seems no matter where you look someone has great stuff to say about Zeagle gear. Anyone got an opinion.

Honestly the type of reg is not a huge deal for me as long as it works well...my husband has been wrestling with the choice for about a month now. Thanks.

WV Diver
11-18-2007, 06:58
Zeagle is of very good quality and has great customer service as far as I have ever known. Having said this I dive the Titan LX Supreme and love it. I have not had the opportunity to use the Zeagle regs. but both companies have very good equipment.

I don't think you could go wrong with whichever one you choose.

fireflock
11-18-2007, 08:24
I like the DS-V. If you're not planing on doing any cold water diving then you could go with the Envoy or Envoy deluxe and save some $.

Compared to the Titan, I prefer the way the way the hoses attach to the DS-V (the configuration of the ports, I mean). You also get the adjustable cracking pressure dial on the Zeagle, which can be helpful when the 2nd starts to get out of tune. Without the adjustment dial you have to have someone adjust it or take the hose off and do it yourself.

Rich

in_cavediver
11-18-2007, 09:42
No experience with aqualung but I own 4 zeagles, including the DS4 which is the predecessor to the DS5. Zeagle makes great regs. I have used them ice diving and down to 200' with no problems.

wxboy911
11-18-2007, 13:35
I dive a Titan and its great-only once have I used the adjustment on it and that was because I took the tank down below 200psi playing around in the shallows. No experience with the Zeagle gear but EVEYONE raves about it-either way you win.

tarheeldiver
11-18-2007, 14:38
the titan lx supreme is excellent

Rascal1933
11-18-2007, 16:24
I Dive Zeagle :smiley20:
Own 2 of the DSV regs.
Awesome preformance + easy breathing.

tc_rain
11-18-2007, 19:23
If you go with the Titan, spend the extra money for the LX version. It breathes much better. If you have a shop nearby ask them if they will hook both up to a tank so you can see the difference. I did and that was the deciding factor on spending the extra money for the LX. I also compared the Titan LX to the Legend and didn’t notice that much of a difference; however, when I compared the Titan LX to the Legend LX there was that huge difference again. Unfortunately, there was a huge difference in price so I settled for the Titan LX. I later spent a few dollars having it environmentally sealed. This ended up costing more then I would have paid originally if I had bought the Titan LX Supreme.

I know nothing about Zeagle first hand but they do have quite a following. I also have not heard anything negative about them that would concern me. I think Aqualung and Zeagle are two quality manufacturers. I am just slightly more familiar with Aqualung.

Zenagirl
11-19-2007, 07:50
My husband had a Legend that he finally sold since it would always creep into a freeflow, no matter how many times it was serviced or adjusted. He bought a Zeagle Flathead and has never had a problem, but also thinks its an easier breather than the Legend.

Of course we believe the Legend he got was just a lemon and not necessarily representative of all Aqualung regs, but he'll never own another Aqualung reg because of his negative feelings.

thor
11-19-2007, 09:18
I dive a Titan, and love it.

Marcus
11-19-2007, 13:10
Have what is maybe a question. I recently bought an Apeks XTX 50, and I have a older Poseidon Odin(1992 barely used). I currently have a Zeagle ZX Octo, and I considered ordering an Aqualung Titan LX octo.

I read that the Titan LX octo is balanced and "ideally suited" for a Titan/Legend overbalanced first stage. My question is, will I have any problems or suffer any performance loss hooking up the Titan LX octo to either the Apeks (balanced first stage) or the Poseidon(not sure what type first stage)? Or should I just consider another type of octo. Thanks.

fireflock
11-19-2007, 13:48
This thread (from that _other place_ :)) is not identical to your question, but sort of gets at the same thing.

Can a first stage "overpower" a cheaper octo? - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/209173-can-first-stage-overpower-cheaper-octo.html)

Rich

BSea
11-19-2007, 14:11
Have what is maybe a question. I recently bought an Apeks XTX 50, and I have a older Poseidon Odin(1992 barely used). I currently have a Zeagle ZX Octo, and I considered ordering an Aqualung Titan LX octo.

I read that the Titan LX octo is balanced and "ideally suited" for a Titan/Legend overbalanced first stage. My question is, will I have any problems or suffer any performance loss hooking up the Titan LX octo to either the Apeks (balanced first stage) or the Poseidon(not sure what type first stage)? Or should I just consider another type of octo. Thanks.

You should be fine with the Apeks, but the Poseidon might be a problem. From what I remember, they have a higher IP than most other regs. It is possible for the pressure to overpower the octo & cause it to freeflow.

Marcus
11-19-2007, 14:20
This thread (from that _other place_ :)) is not identical to your question, but sort of gets at the same thing.

Can a first stage "overpower" a cheaper octo? - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/209173-can-first-stage-overpower-cheaper-octo.html)

Rich

Thank you. I think it actually answers my question pretty well. My Apeks is an overbalanced first stage, and will probably be suited well when matched with the Aqualung LX regulator, considering it was built to match with overbalanced first stage.

Either one should work well I guess.

kyfriedchipper
11-23-2007, 21:57
Thanks for the info - I'm getting the DSV

SarahBella
12-11-2007, 07:17
As the big holiday rapidly approaches we are looking forward to January to buy our regs...and so far the DS V has the lead. Thanks for the input everyone.