PDA

View Full Version : Omega Aquatics Amphibians

moosicman
11-18-2007, 07:57
Has anyone used these fins:

Omega Aquatics (http://omegaaquatics.com/amphibian.html)

and if so can you give us a bit of a review on them and how well they perform

ladyfish
11-18-2007, 08:07
I haven't used them, but did see them at DEMA. I guess my two comments would be, how stable is the hinge, and why do you need to walk in fins? Even when boat diving and you put on your fins, it's not that far to the end of the boat. These fold up ones look like they can cause just as much trouble catching on boat seats, railings, etc as regular fins. Just my thoughts on the issue. I was hoping to see some test reviews on them, because I wondered how well they do work underwater.

navyhmc
11-18-2007, 11:46
To me, these things absolutely scream "Gimmick".

From what I read/saw from the website, a number of questions arise:

What is the expected life span of these? I have a pair of Scubapro flex fins that I've used and at times abused for over 20 years.

How hardy is the locking mechanism? To me, this looks like the weak point of the design. Will it stand up to the abuse?

While I'm not mocking the fins, I just wonder how they will hold up. I can see a limited use while doing boat dives, The chance of the fin swinging down while climbing the ladder may make things a bit dicey.

To each his/her own, but I think I will pass on these.

Puffer Fish
11-18-2007, 20:02

What is the expected life span of these? I have a pair of Scubapro flex fins that I've used and at times abused for over 20 years.

How hardy is the locking mechanism? To me, this looks like the weak point of the design. Will it stand up to the abuse?

While I'm not mocking the fins, I just wonder how they will hold up. I can see a limited use while doing boat dives, The chance of the fin swinging down while climbing the ladder may make things a bit dicey.

Navy, I understand the "concept" was for the Navy, in places where one has to make a quick exit on a beach, at night.

Hard to hold a gun and take off fins.

Don't know if the concept every worked out the way it was expected... but that was my understanding.

Note: Velcro was the product developed for NASA for the first space station... which it failed at terrible...yet it is still around today.

moosicman
11-18-2007, 20:10
i kinda thought maybe they would be good snorkle fins....???

navyhmc
11-18-2007, 20:20

Navy, I understand the "concept" was for the Navy, in places where one has to make a quick exit on a beach, at night.

Don't know if the concept every worked out the way it was expected... but that was my understanding.

Note: Velcro was the product developed for NASA for the first space station... which it failed at terrible...yet it is still around today.

Probably true, and I can see the Navy sending out a concept contract for them. But from the short "How to use.." video that the Omega has on the web site, I can't see any spec op dudes using them. It takes just little kick action to move the fin blade down-seems it would hinder egress more than make it easier.

Not a SEAL/Ranger/SF/Delta etc. but from what I have seen of these guys, the fins come off while still in the surf zone and before they need to put finger on trigger.

Puffer Fish
11-18-2007, 20:29

Probably true, and I can see the Navy sending out a concept contract for them. But from the short "How to use.." video that the Omega has on the web site, I can't see any spec op dudes using them. It takes just little kick action to move the fin blade down-seems it would hinder egress more than make it easier.

Not a SEAL/Ranger/SF/Delta etc. but from what I have seen of these guys, the fins come off while still in the surf zone and before they need to put finger on trigger.

Don't know if it still exists, but I went thru "Para-diver" school in the Army, which was the Army's version of Seal training.

The fin issue sucked..as you kind of run out of hands and places to put things. If it worked, fins you did not have to take off, would have been nice.

I don't have a clue if these fill that bill or not. But I like the concept (if it was functional)

Capt Hook
11-18-2007, 21:03
Velcro was patented in 1955, doubt if that had anything to do with the space station.

Puffer Fish
11-19-2007, 00:39
Velcro was patented in 1955, doubt if that had anything to do with the space station.
That would be correct... it was a product that could have easily gone away, with no one missing it. Work on the first space station began in the late 50's, at the same time, Velcro was trying to get off the ground. NASA was formed in 57.

The commercial product that we know today, was primarily funded by money from our government.

Even the first major comercial use was an reaction to government films showing it being used in the future space station. I would suspect that you are old enough to remember the velcro fastened shoes.

The concept, however turned out to be rather worthless.. the station never happened and all we have left to remind us is that lovely stuff.

As a kid, one of my friends uncle's was one of the engineers on the project...

Puffer Fish
11-19-2007, 00:44
Oh, and I said "developed", not invented. There are lots of inventions that never become real products. For a product to become a comercial material, you have to have the money to actually buy all the technology, and without having someone to pay for that development, it frequently does not happen.