PDA

View Full Version : ABWA's Last Weekend - Free Mask!

FishFood
11-18-2007, 09:07
Got the chance to do a couple dives at ABWA's last open weekend for the next 6 months.

Started at the bus and worked over towards the wall. Stopped when the bottom hit 110ft and started going back. Popped up and did a surface swim over to the Brim and burnt the rest of our air playing with them...

For the second dive we started over near the power pole and worked around the far corner to see more of the wall. I must say, I was more impressed with the wall than any of the wrecks. Amazing to look up and see nothing but this huge wall of rocks as far as the eye can see...

Unfortunately non of the wall pictures came out. In fact, nothing below 20ft was really of any use :(

http://app.onlinephotofiler.com/images/A_1/7/7/0/10771/4ihfnoo5.Large.jpg?v=a50f

http://app.onlinephotofiler.com/images/A_1/7/7/0/10771/ybpn0vrn.Large.jpg?v=1fb8

Great dives. I can't wait to see ABWA's new facilities!!

EDIT:

Oh, and during my surface swim from the far corner (past the 150ft marker on the map) I lost my mask. Whomever finds it keeps it of course. Its either Near the wall (60-70ft), or it may be resting at the bottom in 150ft of water... who knows.

cgvmer
11-18-2007, 09:10
For those of us out of your area..what is ABWA?

FishFood
11-18-2007, 09:12
For those of us out of your area..what is ABWA?

Oh, yes, sorry.

ABWA - Alabama BLue Water Adventures AKA Pelham Keys

It's a limestone quarry just south of Birmingham Alabama.

http://www.divealabama.com/

navyhmc
11-18-2007, 11:22
How did you lose your mask? May I reccommend placing down on your neck? My buddy lost his after we surfaced in another quary-he had taken it off and put his arm through the strap. When we got to the shallower part, he noticed it was gone. Luck was with him though, a student from a class that was there found it and returned it to him.

Xspect
12-09-2007, 15:28
Great pictures. Gave me some great memories of that place. What was the water temp like ?

FishFood
12-09-2007, 15:40
How did you lose your mask? May I reccommend placing down on your neck? My buddy lost his after we surfaced in another quary-he had taken it off and put his arm through the strap. When we got to the shallower part, he noticed it was gone. Luck was with him though, a student from a class that was there found it and returned it to him.

Heh. Ill do that... Next Time. :smiley29:

The water was a warm 54 Degrees F at the bottom. 60s at the top.

easyrider003
01-06-2008, 18:26
What would the temp be like the first of march. Thinking of heading up there on March 1

Tom A
01-06-2008, 20:52
what was the vis like looked good

whse56
01-06-2008, 20:59
Now thats' what I call a nice dive shop pool:smiley36:

mwhities
01-06-2008, 21:07
I'm going there Feb 2nd. If you get their map and mark 'roughly' where it is, I'll get it and return it to you.

Michael

FishFood
01-06-2008, 21:42
I'm going there Feb 2nd. If you get their map and mark 'roughly' where it is, I'll get it and return it to you.

Michael

Thanks for the offer Michael but Im not sure where exactly it is, and its probably in 70-90ft of water so air consumption would be too high to look for it. Plus, to make it worse it's on the opposite side of the quarry. (IMO this is where the best diving is BTW) Have fun up there though!

jeepbrew
01-29-2008, 17:58
I can look for your mask as well if you want to post where it is... I have no problems searching at that depth...

FishFood
01-29-2008, 18:09
I can look for your mask as well if you want to post where it is... I have no problems searching at that depth...

Attatched is where I think i was. The line shows my surface swim back. Right over the deep part of the quarry :smiley29: Hopefully it fell off closer to the wall. Not sure though.

If you find it. Congratulations. It's YOURS! :smiley20:

Great diving over there. Nothing that's been artificially put in the quarry. Mostly (im assuming) old mining equipment. Some large tires, concrete, metal debris, etc. Some plants in the more shallow regions w/ fish. Never see anyone diving over there though :smiley5:

jeepbrew
01-29-2008, 21:45
Never see anyone diving over there though :smiley5:

Probably b/c it is deeper and b/c of the distance one has to swim. That, coupled with the fact that a lot of the divers are students. I have been on that side a few times, but quite a few times I have been helping out with classes and couldn't leave the group.