PDA

View Full Version : glow-in-the-dark slate

superkingkong
11-18-2007, 18:16
Hi guys,

does it really help? any difference between those conventional slate with the glow-in-the-dark slates?

well, i can see that they do cost a bit more :smiley2:

cheers :)

paintsnow
11-18-2007, 19:39
well, one glows in the dark...and the other doesnt

but im sure you already knew that

actually the glow in the dark slates are great for when you want to read or write on them but cant hold a light up to see at night.

usually on have holds the slate and the other holds the pencil, so its a lot more difficult to write or read off a normal one at night.

during the day, no difference, other then a faint green tint to the glow in the dark one

navyhmc
11-18-2007, 19:41
Do you have a link for the site/slate?

superkingkong
11-18-2007, 20:32
can't find any on ST...

found one elsewhere
Great deal on SLATE GLOW 4.75X7.75 from Divers-Supply.com (http://www.divers-supply.com/SLATE-GLOW-4-75X7-75-p/ins12281.htm)

PsychDiver
11-19-2007, 17:01
I will have to look into the glow slates as I love night diving. It is the best time to dive.

mcc2318
11-19-2007, 18:17
does anyone else find that the pencils dont last that long on slates or is it just me

quasimoto
11-19-2007, 19:46
Unless you are doing a lot of night dives that you need to communicate then the glow slate really isn't worth it.
As for the pencils..yes they are usually a piece of crap. Either buy a bunch of golf course pencils or buy a "graphite pencil." The graphite pencil is just the graphite without anything around it. I haven't found them but some have said that they can be found in drafting supply places.

navyhmc
11-19-2007, 20:10
I may have to give one of these a try-you never know.

Damselfish
11-19-2007, 21:52
The small slate I always carry is glow-in-the-dark. It works fine, but I never have anything I want to write badly enough at night to bother pulling out my slate.

I've heard those pop-a-point pencils work out well, but I can't find them.

lmorin
11-20-2007, 15:58
For my slate, I bought a bunch of very inexpensive, disposable Bic mechanical pencils made largely of plastic. The lead screws out. There is a spring inside and does become damaged over time. But the cost of the pencils is really negligible. There are two negatives, however. The lead is too soft and has to be extruded in the middle of almost every message. The other negative is that the diameter of the pencil is greater than the holding slot on the slate. This was solved by taking a bunch of pencils to a small belt sander and rendering each more of a rectangular profile that fits the slot. These pencils work pretty well, but I'd rather have one that fits better and has a harder lead, even if it needs to be sharpened between dives.

quasimoto
11-20-2007, 19:28
T

I've heard those pop-a-point pencils work out well, but I can't find them.

Are those the ones that the lead can be broken off?

Damselfish
11-20-2007, 21:54
the ones that have a short pointed bit of lead set in a little plastic thing, the "pencil" contains a stack of points that sort of nest.

terrillja
11-20-2007, 22:50
I have a glow in the dark slate, and love it. I dive mostly in NH, where there is very little light penetration, so the only way one can write on a slate is to hold your light while writing, kinda hard to do. With the glow in the dark, I flash it with the light, then it glows while I write on it.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat.