PDA

View Full Version : Improving SAC rate?!

moosicman
11-18-2007, 21:50
could someone give a brief sum up of sac rate and some of the best methods to improve it?

medicdiver
11-18-2007, 23:59
Are you wanting to know the formula for figuring the SAC rate? I do know that there are many ways someone can improve their SAC rate. One of which is the more comfortable and experienced you are with scuba, then the lower (normally) your SAC rate will become. Also, making sure you are trimmed and properly weighted will improve your SAC. Physical fitness can help you, along with having a clean rig. Make sure your hose are properly routed. By improving your rig and making everything streamlined, you will be pushing yourself against a smaller resistance.These are just a couple of things.

moosicman
11-19-2007, 05:14
Yeah the formula would be great, thanks!

Silverlode
11-19-2007, 05:51
Pardon the ignorance... but what's SAC?

moosicman
11-19-2007, 05:57
Surface Air Consumption Rate.....i know what it is but little more than that and i thought this was something you could increase over time with a kinda zen-like calm when diving or something

Silverlode
11-19-2007, 06:15
Thanks. That helps lots. Would the type of reg make a difference as well?
Breathing exercise probably helps. It helped me improve mine between my OW and AOW, though one might think it's experiences as well.Concentrating on my breathing calms me down somewhat.
Yes, would like to reach that Zen state my friends were perpetually talking about.

headonkey
11-19-2007, 07:15
I would definitely suggest doing some yoga also. Focusing on maintaining constant breathing rates while exercising has helped me immensely. The strengthening exercises are great also.

navyhmc
11-19-2007, 08:22
A friend of mine does intense aerobics and does have a better SAC than the rest of us. Exercise and being more fit is a good way to improve your SAC. Any good regeim that works you cardiovascular is a good one to try. Some emphasis should also be on your legs.

All that and something to keep you more limber.

texdiveguy
11-19-2007, 09:43

SAC Calculator (http://www.spearfishing.org/bruces_tips/java/sac.html)

thor
11-19-2007, 10:28
I would definitely suggest doing some yoga also. Focusing on maintaining constant breathing rates while exercising has helped me immensely. The strengthening exercises are great also.

Like yoga, take long deep breaths and slowly exhale, and above all, relax. I think people worry too much about SAC rates. Remember these rates change b/c of variables such as temperature, thickness of exposure suit, type of regulator, weight used, amount of activity, drag, etc. If I am in a new environment, or looking at a wreck, I know I will use more air. As long as my buddy is not leaving me behind without air, I am happy.

moosicman
11-19-2007, 12:24

SAC Calculator (http://www.spearfishing.org/bruces_tips/java/sac.html)

thank you tex!....and cool website too. i'm not a spearfisherman at all but i do like that site and the calculator as well is handy!!:smiley20:

quasimoto
11-19-2007, 21:15
From many years of experience..relax and dive, dive, dive. If you aren't relaxed then your SAC will be up. With diving more you become more relax..thus the SAC rate goes down.

tarheeldiver
11-23-2007, 07:35
From many years of experience..relax and dive, dive, dive. If you aren't relaxed then your SAC will be up. With diving more you become more relax..thus the SAC rate goes down.
This is so true my first dives I was up at 30 minutes now I can do 90 minutes no problem better to be last back on the boat than first.

cummings66
11-23-2007, 14:44
i thought this was something you could increase over time with a kinda zen-like calm when diving or something

You can decrease it over time, but as you and others surmised being calm and in shape will do the trick, of course diving often helps a lot. Measure it someday to see what you do, might surprise you.