PDA

View Full Version : Breathhold

free.diver
11-18-2007, 21:08
Anyone have some good suggestions on increasing breathold times?

navyhmc
11-18-2007, 21:17
Back in my younger days, I would literally practice at home and got up to a little over 2 minutes. In a pool I got to 2/12 minutes.

Here's a good place to start looking at it (a free-diving site) ImpulseAdventure - Freediving - Apnea / Breath-hold Diving (http://www.impulseadventure.com/freedive/)

Chad
11-19-2007, 09:20
Great link. Thanks navyhmc!

navyhmc
11-19-2007, 09:56
Good luck with the breath hold endevors.

mitsuguy
11-19-2007, 10:17

time and experience... 4 minutes was my personal best back in the day... I need to get back at it though - it's about 25% physical and 75% mental...

wow, I just read that page linked above - his personal best as of 2005 was 61 meters with no fins... I remember in high school swimming almost 100 yds without fins (down and almost all the way back 50 yd pool)

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-19-2007, 11:26
I recall doing similar after diving from the side of the pool. Never really tried it without pushing off in some way.

ScubaJenn81
11-19-2007, 12:01
That stuff kind of makes me nervous. I have gotten dizzy swimming laps before and found myself at the bottom of the pool (guard was not watching I guess). So I do not mess with things like that, but whatever floats your boat.

mitsuguy
11-19-2007, 12:05
That stuff kind of makes me nervous. I have gotten dizzy swimming laps before and found myself at the bottom of the pool (guard was not watching I guess). So I do not mess with things like that, but whatever floats your boat.

Different people have different reactions to breath hold techniques, plain and simple...

mitsuguy
11-19-2007, 12:05
I recall doing similar after diving from the side of the pool. Never really tried it without pushing off in some way.

that first push definitely gets you going, but in the grand scheme of things is really only good for 5 yards...

cgvmer
11-19-2007, 12:26

that first push definitely gets you going, but in the grand scheme of things is really only good for 5 yards...

I don't know about 5yds....I have watched my son (a div 1 college swimmer) go 2/3 of a 25yd pool without taking a stroke after a strong pull out, and if your not stroking your have less drive to breath.

BTW: if he had gone any farther, he would have been DQ'ed.

mitsuguy
11-19-2007, 13:19

I don't know about 5yds....I have watched my son (a div 1 college swimmer) go 2/3 of a 25yd pool without taking a stroke after a strong pull out, and if your not stroking your have less drive to breath.

BTW: if he had gone any farther, he would have been DQ'ed.

thats with using the dolphin kick though... it might not have looked like a stroke, but I guarantee if I was doing nothing but coasting off the push in competition, my old coach woulda kicked my ass... and yes, 15m is the limit because the dolphin kick is faster underwater for many people than surface swimming...

PsychDiver
11-19-2007, 19:48
Yes, it the dolphin kick that moves a swimmer that far underwater. I have been to several Texas State Finals and it is amazing to watch how far and how fast these guys could go underwater with a dolphin kick and NO fins. I couldn't keep up with fins.

quasimoto
11-19-2007, 20:12
Since taking up scuba I really don't have a need to hold my breath. Back in the day I could swim one length and half way back of a pool. I agree that it is a lot more mental than anything.

cow109
11-21-2007, 22:48
"Never ever hold your breath" : )

jl21
11-29-2007, 08:12
I like breathing

whichwayisup
12-23-2007, 18:11
"Never ever hold your breath" : )
You don't hold your breath, you just breath when you need to. :flying:

cheebaweebie
12-25-2007, 13:07
Check out this site. Caters toward free diving and spearfishing... lots of great info ...

Spearfishing Planet - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.spearfishingplanet.com)

beperkins
10-16-2008, 13:24
In OW class there is a section about breath hold diving, and it has some suggestions like a little bit of hyperventilation before going down to saturate your lungs.

ScubaDude
10-16-2008, 20:45
free.diver,

If you haven't already done so, I strongly suggest visiting the website that navyhmc referred you to. I'm no freediver, although I do have an interest, and my prior research has made me aware of Shallow Water Blackout. (SWB)

I'm not going to get into the specifics of SWB, but you really need to search that site, as well as other relevant sites thoroughly.

Although freediving is a great sport, there is a great deal of science involved.

Be safe.

Lj82
10-16-2008, 21:11
This thread was started by the OP about a year ago.....
But since we are at it, might as well continue some of the discussions.
Psychdiver mentioned that dolphins kick are very efficient underwater.
Can anyone teach me this technique? I am very interested to try it out.

Many thanks in advance!

heydn62
10-17-2008, 10:51
In a pool I got to 2/12 minutes.

Lets see 2/12 = 1/6

1/6 minutes = 10 seconds

I'm not impressed

:smilie39:

Sorry.

fanatique
02-09-2009, 12:51
Haha I somehow doubt he meant 10 secs. ;) But you've got me floored on the 2/3 pool length without surfacing bit. Now to wiki dolphin kick...

mitsuguy
02-09-2009, 12:57
dolphin kick... it's almost really a full body wave kinda kick... it starts in your stomach area and you kinda wave the whole bottom half of your body.... similar to how a dolphin would fin... an up and down motion...

tfriend
02-09-2009, 13:01
If your not an avid swimmer, it can be very hard to pick up and use the dolphin kick effectively. Its just not a normal motion for the human body.

Straegen
02-09-2009, 13:13
I find those hand held stress reduction biorhythm devices actually helped me hold my breath longer. A side effect of the process I suppose.

chris in the socal
02-09-2009, 15:53
I have really used that website and it is great. i went from holding my breath 50 sec to about 2 1/2 min. it really helps during abalone season.