PDA

View Full Version : PADI vs NAUI Training

free.diver
11-18-2007, 21:12
Just looking for some general opinions on PADI vs NAUI training.

ScubaToys Larry
11-18-2007, 21:30
I think you'll find most folks will tell you the instructor means a lot more than the letters on your card.

There was a thread on this topic recently.. here you go:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/general-scuba-training-questions/5295-difference-between-certification-agencies.html

Zenagirl
11-19-2007, 07:51
Thanks Larry, hopefully one day everyone will understand it's all about the quality of the instructor, period.

quasimoto
11-19-2007, 20:29
I don't think that you can say that it is ALL about the instructor. If the cert agency has more that is to be taught in a class then this isn't true. For instance, NAUI has several things in there AOW that PADI never teaches. They aren't life threatening but personally I would taken NAUI AOW if I had known a NAUI instructor. For the most part, yes the instructor makes the difference.

DivingsInMyBlood
11-19-2007, 20:57
Alot of instructors if asked will tailer the course to suit you, if you ask them they can and more than likely will show you a couple more things ontop of what your supposed to learn, as long as its not to advanced. I was more than happy with my PADI instructor who went above and beyond and showed me more stuff than what you normally get taught in OW. Just remember if you want to know something ask your instructor dont be shy. Its the instructor and your willingness to learn and improve that counts.

Silverlode
11-19-2007, 21:35
Alot of instructors if asked will tailer the course to suit you, if you ask them they can and more than likely will show you a couple more things ontop of what your supposed to learn, as long as its not to advanced. I was more than happy with my PADI instructor who went above and beyond and showed me more stuff than what you normally get taught in OW. Just remember if you want to know something ask your instructor dont be shy. Its the instructor and your willingness to learn and improve that counts.

Hear, hear. I had a good PADI instructor.
Only problem about wanting to know stuff and ask, probably at OW stage, most people won't know what they want to know. Unless they have been lurking in dive forums :smilie39:

ScubaToys Larry
11-19-2007, 21:44
I have beenan instructor for multiple agencies. At this point we teach Naui at our shop... I do prefer it over the other agencies as far as what we teach, and the flexibility of the courses. But over all, I still feel the instructor is the most important aspect.

navyhmc
11-20-2007, 01:25
I've not taken a NAUI course-yet, but have several buddies that are NAUI cert. From what I have seen, as Larry noted it's the instructor that makes the difference.

mcc2318
11-20-2007, 01:48
like everyone else has said its the instructor not the title on the card

navyhmc
11-20-2007, 02:53
I know there are some "You're not XXXX so you don't know #$%#!" personally, if you're a safe diver and a good dive buddy, I don't care who your agency is.

I can remember a LDS when I was young that had classes but did not have any recognised affiliation. He wouldn't teach me as he felt I was too young (13) Luckily I was able to get into a YMCA class that was all but an AOW. 5 weeks 2 hours of class and 2 hours of pool. All the gas laws, Navy tables, and a lot of "pool stress".

Zenagirl
11-20-2007, 07:22
I can honestly say I've never asked anyone who issued their C-card.....doesn't matter to me since it's how they dive that matters, and I've seen BAD divers with C-cards from just about every agency it seems.

Our OW instructor was both NAUI and PADI and the only reason we got a PADI card was because the shop was PADI. He was an excellent instructor who didn't feel bound by minimum standards...he went above and beyond, creating a very thorough class.

texdiveguy
11-20-2007, 07:48
I have multiple agency courses....PADI/NAUI discussions are pretty lame.....both have good materials and at the entry level course teach the same things....find a shop/instructor you gel with and get after it!!

CaribbeanDiver
11-20-2007, 14:15
I do believe it is true that the instructor makes the course. However, the enrolling student has no idea what should be taught and therefore cannot know a good instructor from a bad instructor.
I have had instructors with great reputations that were just plain awful and I have had instructors that turned out to be terrific.
The only difference I can see in NAUI vs PADI is that I am NAUI certified and had a LDS/instructor that made the OW course difficult. We had to swim 300 yards instead of 200, had to perform several rescue drills such as diver tow, find a diver at the bottom and bring him to the service, and how to approach a paniced diver on the surface.
Whereas, my son was certified with PADI and I believe he did less than the minimum required. I was with him on every checkout dive and all I saw him do was clear his mask, remove and replace his mask and find his reg with the J sweep. I thought that PADI course was horrible.
The second thing I can use for comparison purposes is the rating of Master Scuba Diver. For NAUI, there are certain skills you must perform in addition to a comprehensive course that teaches many important things. The same rating for PADI only involves completing 5 specialty courses.
I hardly think a PADI certified Master Scuba Diver is equivalent to a NAUI Master Scuba Diver.
Again, I will reiterate that the instructor makes the course but I have a bias toward NAUI.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-20-2007, 14:40
The agencies have their minimum standards. I'm told instructors are supposed to be able to add to those but not subtract from them.

I hear some people say that NAUI is better than PADI because they require 6 dives instead of 5 for AOW. Here is a PADI shop that requires 7 dives for the PADI AOW. Does that mean that this PADI AOW cert is better than a NAUI cert?

DDC Advanced Open Water Course (http://www.discoverydiving.com/advance.htm)

BTW, how many angels can fit on a pin head?

willardj
11-20-2007, 16:42
I have a Naui OW and a Naui & PADI AOW plus others but the NAUI classes were more indepth than the PADI classes were. 6 dives for my Basic OW, 6 dives NAUI AOW, 5 dives PADI AOW. I wanted to see if there was any difference between the two. The only thing I can say about the PADI cert. is. They can pull them off line if you leave them at home by accident. Witch I have done.

quasimoto
11-20-2007, 19:16
And once again if you compare the basics of NAUI and PADI, NAUI covers more. A good instructor can add more but you at least should meet the minimum.
There are things that NAUI teaches through the courses that PADI never teaches. This is true with many agencies. It boils down to what you want to learn. If you have no desire the do X and X isn't taught through an agency then maybe that is your agency.
I am looking at a deco class and have eliminated a couple agency just because of what the minimum requirements are. If every agency taught the same things then there would be no need for several agencies.

TRACI
11-20-2007, 19:32
I have been pretty happy with my SSI cert., the only con I have noticed the cost of the training is almost double then NAUI or PADI, I may have to do my AOW or specialites with another agency so it can fit into my budget.

tenninstr
11-21-2007, 04:58
I took NAUI OW, AOW and basic Nitrox. PADI Rescue, DM. Instructor and TecDeep. There are definitely pros and cons to each. I think some of the stuff in OW was overkill. If you have a good instructor who is thorough and patient you should have a good experience. The problem up front is how do you know.

Manta diver
12-25-2009, 20:21
Hi fellow divers, I am new to this forum but felt I needed to chime in. I was certified in 1973 in southern Calif. Back then the big sales spiel for NAUI certification was that it was an international certification that is recognized any ware in the world. I believe in the early 70's PADI was not nationally recognized. I agree with the premise that the instructor makes the cert with their wide range of experience. My instructor was a marine vediotographer that was famous for his work in southern Calif. He was an awesome instructor. I grew up in the water and I am comfortable having equipment to extend my breath underwater I am very comfortable with or with out a tank and other safety equipment. When I went through my training being prepared for emergency situations was paramount. Equipment ditch and recovery was practiced continuously. I guess my point is that if I need to shed every piece of equipment to save my self I can do it and not panic.