PDA

View Full Version : So has anyone ever had it actually happen?

thesmoothdome
07-21-2007, 19:44
I've got more than a few dives under my belt and have never had it happen to me. You hear all the naysayers constantly say the wouldn't dive an air integrated computer because it may fail. Has anyone ever hadeven anon AIcomputer fail on them during a dive? Forget battery issues. They should have been handled before the dive anyway.

ScubaToys Larry
07-21-2007, 19:53
I had one of the first hose less cochran computers bite the dust half way into a dive. With those, the computer is actual computer was back in the transmitter, and the wrist was just the display - so you got nothing...

Then I thought new batteries, replaced those - next dive - same thing. Never had the oceanic go out on me.

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 20:16
I have the Aeris Elite AI (hoseless) and the only problem I ever had with that was the transmitter flooded and I couldn't read the PSI.

jacewindu
07-21-2007, 20:19
i've never had a computer die, besides batteries (on the surface) i've only used oceanic tho

ertechsg
07-21-2007, 21:55
I had one of the first hose less cochran computers bite the dust half way into a dive. With those, the computer is actual computer was back in the transmitter, and the wrist was just the display - so you got nothing...

Then I thought new batteries, replaced those - next dive - same thing. Never had the oceanic go out on me.
Are you talking vt pro?

tc_rain
07-21-2007, 23:39
How are the new hoseless computers at keeping their link?I never had a problem with mine (that I noticed) but I hear alot of people complain about it and was wondering if they worked on this.

woody
07-22-2007, 00:07
I'm up to about 5 failures. 4 I will account to karma I guess. 4 computers in 4 dives in a row and all worked perfectly before I took them diving.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
My very fist one happened on a LONG Advanced weekend when I was teaching one of those monster Advanced class and a few last minute Open Water students. I noticed after doing quite a few emergency training ascents and some clean up diving that my computer said something like stop or halt (no, not like a deco stop- not a documented one anyway) or something to that effect. I looked at it, showed it to my dive buddy (2nd instructor), no clue either. We just looked for our nitrox hang tank, found a ledge and sat there for a little while and worried. I didn't notice any signs or symptoms of anything but you get a little worried after a weekend like that (Multiple repetitive dives to 100’ followed by an OW class doing ascent training). Talked to everyone that knew anything about that computer ‘what?' was the answer I got. MFG said ‘what?' send it to us. Never saw it again, got a new one and sold it. No, I won't tell you what brand or what computer as it was replaced on themarket really quickly.

Since that experience I watch my computer a lot more during the dive and do a little more dive planning BEFORE I get in so I know what depths and for how long.
Woody

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 01:45
That would be scary. How long did you hang out on your stop for,until the hangtank was dry? http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley3.gif

bobbin-along
07-22-2007, 12:38
My oceanic loses the link occasionally when the water is silty or my hands are clasped under me. If that's the case I just move my hand up a bit and wait patiently for about 10 seconds. But the computer part hasn't ever died.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I do have a gauge attached as a just in case for aggressive days however.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

RECDiver
07-22-2007, 21:59
Yes, I have had a Hydrospace Explorer screen go blank on me. I wore out an Oceanic Data Pro Max computer. It died last year after seven years of faithful use.

BSea
07-23-2007, 11:18
My buddy had an oceanic Pro Plus die about 10 feet down intoour dive (which amounts to the same as my computer dying). He had just returned from a week in the keys where it worked perfectly. It wasn't the battery, it just died. I had the same model, but a few years older than his, and it never gave me any problems. It's since been replaced with a Suunto Vytec.

woody
07-23-2007, 15:03
That would be scary. How long did you hang out on your stop for,until the hangtank was dry? http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley3.gif
<DIV>pretty much.</DIV>