PDA

View Full Version : Exercise to build up thigh/leg muscles

Silverlode
11-19-2007, 17:04
What are some good exercise to build up thigh muscles?

I went diving the other day at the pier and had to lug all those gears around; I'd discovered muscles I did not know exists, on my thigh. They absolutely protest and refused to cooperate. The other parts of my legs joined in the strike and it took me forever to return to the carpark after the dive.

So, now looking to strengthen my thigh and leg muscles. I do not belong to a gym, so I won't have access to gym equipments. I do swim.

fireflock
11-19-2007, 17:13
I put swim fins on, brag a kickboard, and go back and forth over and over again - keeping up the pace until it really hurts - 3 or 4 times a week.

I have no idea if that is trainer approved, but being in the water is fun and I think it pays off when diving.

Riding a bike would probably help too.

Rich

Chad
11-19-2007, 17:19
Like in the above post swimming w/fins is great. Climbing stairs is another good workout. At home you can do lunges and squats.

Tableleg
11-19-2007, 17:36
If you don't have access to a pool there is another option. And I know this is the MOST unpopular answer for ANYONE, but running is a great exercise that really builds your leg muscles. Start out with a slow job and build up your speed. If you try to fast/far too soon, then you're going to be in pain and never want to run again.

If you're in as bad a shape as I think you are (:smiley36:) then try walking for an hour every other day. If that's too easy, quicken the pace. If you can power walk for an hour and not break a sweat, then it's time to advance to a slow jog.

However you get there, lower body strength is definitely a good thing to have for diving. :smiley20:

Silverlode
11-19-2007, 17:41
If you don't have access to a pool there is another option. And I know this is the MOST unpopular answer for ANYONE, but running is a great exercise that really builds your leg muscles. Start out with a slow job and build up your speed. If you try to fast/far too soon, then you're going to be in pain and never want to run again.

If you're in as bad a shape as I think you are (:smiley36:) then try walking for an hour every other day. If that's too easy, quicken the pace. If you can power walk for an hour and not break a sweat, then it's time to advance to a slow jog.

However you get there, lower body strength is definitely a good thing to have for diving. :smiley20:

I have access to a pool and I am trying to get there at least once a week, preferably two to three.
Bad knees, can't jog and hate walking. I would love to be able to get back to jogging. So it looks like I'd have to walk till then. Bad knees due to bad feet and tight thigh muscles.

mcc2318
11-19-2007, 18:04
One of the exercises that I HATED as basic training at ft. benning was the flutter kick. Lay on your back with your hands under your but and keep your chin in your chest. raise your legs six inchs off the ground and move your legs in a scissors. It sucks but it really works out your legs

bubble-head
11-19-2007, 18:07
With the description you provided, I would also point you towards flutter kicks. They are low-impact but provide a great leg/lower ab workout.

LI Diver
11-19-2007, 18:36
Deep knee bends will work your quads. You can use a chair for balance if you like.

PsychDiver
11-19-2007, 19:39
Lunges are killers but build leg strength. When I had my ACL repaired, I had to do them three times per week to help my legs and knee recover. I also have a set of large rubber bands that I use for leg extensions and curls.

IrishSquid
11-19-2007, 19:53
Squats are the Mack-Daddy of leg exercises in my opinion.
If you don't have weights, sling your tank on your back and go at it.
Check online for proper form. Don't do any for 2 days before diving, cuz if done right you'll walk like you dropped your soap in prison and that makes it difficult to dive.

Silverlode
11-19-2007, 21:29
One of the exercises that I HATED as basic training at ft. benning was the flutter kick. Lay on your back with your hands under your but and keep your chin in your chest. raise your legs six inchs off the ground and move your legs in a scissors. It sucks but it really works out your legs

On dry ground?

Silverlode
11-19-2007, 21:32
Deep knee bends will work your quads. You can use a chair for balance if you like.
I'll have to google deep knee bends... just in case it's more complicated than what it says ;)

Lunges are killers but build leg strength. When I had my ACL repaired, I had to do them three times per week to help my legs and knee recover. I also have a set of large rubber bands that I use for leg extensions and curls.
What's ACL? How do you use your rubber bands. I have them as well, but have not really use them yet.

Check online for proper form. Don't do any for 2 days before diving, cuz if done right you'll walk like you dropped your soap in prison and that makes it difficult to dive.
No tanks. Will have to check online then. What do I google for exactly; in case I ended up with the wrong exercise.

thor
11-19-2007, 22:01
Another good exercise is to put your back against a wall and bend your knees until it is like you are sitting in a chair. Stay like that for a minute or two. Feel the burn. It's also fun if you get in a similar position, but wthout the wall.

MichaelJ_AUS
11-19-2007, 22:33
....edit...

No tanks. Will have to check online then. What do I google for exactly; in case I ended up with the wrong exercise.

Don't need weights or a tank for sqauts. Although it does increase muscle mass faster. Try body weight squats. Get a raised box, make sure its stable and hang one leg off one side. Lower yourself until your foot is just above the ground. Take about 3 seconds per rep. 1 second to lower, hold for 1 second, then slowly come up.

Do 4-5sets of 10 or so reps per leg and it will burn. Which is what you want.

As to running, its good, but is hard on your knees. Get a bike (if you dont have one) and ride uphill for about 20-30 mins if you can. Do this and the body weight squats and you should notice some difference. Try do both on the same day, 3 times a week. 2 days rest in between.

Body weight excercises can be very effective, just takes a bit longer to do.

Michael.

MysteryGirl
11-19-2007, 23:32
To keep my legs in shape I swim every day or at least try to. Weekends, the Y pool is closed. Wear your fins, and if you have fins for strong current diving even better. I have quads of steel and hamstrings just as hard. I try to do 100 laps in an hour.

A lot of people think I'm taking the easy way out at the pool, until they try the fins and realize they can't even move their legs. I do wide scissors kicks with legs straight and knees not bent and don't use any arm strokes. When I want to work on the upper body, I cross my fins and only use arm strokes - freestyle, butterfly or breast strokes. Same with swimming on my back.

You'll be surprised how quickly you can get into shape. The first few days may be a bit sore, but it's totally worth the effort.

Silverlode
11-20-2007, 04:01
Lots of great ideas, suggestions, workouts here and in the other thread on exercise. Looks like I'd have to print out all these great stuff and try them out, once all the postings are exhausted.

scootermcfly
11-20-2007, 06:05
I would say that running is one of your best bets to strenthen leg muscles. I've been a runner for some time and my legs can pretty much keep going until my mind falls asleep.

Scooter McFly

MSilvia
11-20-2007, 07:43
For me, a healthy appetite led to packing on some surplus pounds over the years. Just walking around with the extra weight gave me legs like oak trees. Even in high school, I could leg press all the weight the machine had to offer for 3 sets of 15 reps with no great effort.

The holiday season is upon us... there's plenty of time to have an extra slice of pie for the sake of increased leg strength!

mm_dm
11-20-2007, 09:01
The holiday season is upon us... there's plenty of time to have an extra slice of pie for the sake of increased leg strength!

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Now there's an answer folks can sink their teeth into.

mitsuguy
11-20-2007, 11:04
To keep my legs in shape I swim every day or at least try to. Weekends, the Y pool is closed. Wear your fins, and if you have fins for strong current diving even better. I have quads of steel and hamstrings just as hard. I try to do 100 laps in an hour.

A lot of people think I'm taking the easy way out at the pool, until they try the fins and realize they can't even move their legs. I do wide scissors kicks with legs straight and knees not bent and don't use any arm strokes. When I want to work on the upper body, I cross my fins and only use arm strokes - freestyle, butterfly or breast strokes. Same with swimming on my back.

You'll be surprised how quickly you can get into shape. The first few days may be a bit sore, but it's totally worth the effort.

This is what I've been doing lately as well... the looks at first with the "big fins" is always :smiley5:, but offer your fins to someone else to try and at any decent pace, they can usually only pull off a couple laps before giving in to the tired muscles...

swimming is a cardio workout until you put fins on, then it becomes more of a strength training workout... either way, I swim 'cause it's a ton of fun... nothing better than laying on your back easily paddling away leaving a wake whilst the others are all out swimming and can barely keep up....

I do the exact same with crossing the fins and pulling with arms - the fins give enough lift to keep your legs from dragging in the water...

ScubaJenn81
11-20-2007, 11:10
You can step it up a bit by doing one legged lunges and or squats. Just put your foot up on a chair or bench and do a lunge. For squats, you can just stand on one leg, or to make it harder, you stand on a bench, chair with one leg hanging over the side. Do a squat until your foot almost touches the gound, then come back up again. It is a killer.

LiteHedded
11-20-2007, 11:28
if you have access to weights deadlifts are awesome

Silverlode
11-20-2007, 22:53
if you have access to weights deadlifts are awesome

What's that?

Silverlode
11-20-2007, 23:02

Needing some details here. I have a pair of Mares Plana Avanti. I do not know about fins for strong current diving, can you elaborate? What is the length of the pool you're in? We have 25mts and 50 mts pools here so there's a huge difference if in that 100 laps. I did 40laps in a 25 metre pool today (1km in total) with various style including 300m of finning. Still alright so far. I've been slowly increasing my laps. Took me an hour, but did not use fins for the first 700 metres.
I will try your upper body method one day as well. The Scissor kicks that you do, are you swimming on your side, or is it a variation of the flutter kick on front crawl?

If I'm alright tomorrow, I might go to the pool again on Friday and do more swimming, hopefully 1200metres then.

LiteHedded
11-21-2007, 07:16
Barbell Deadlift (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html)

kev99
11-22-2007, 16:17
[/quote]

I have access to a pool and I am trying to get there at least once a week, preferably two to three.
Bad knees, can't jog and hate walking. I would love to be able to get back to jogging. So it looks like I'd have to walk till then. Bad knees due to bad feet and tight thigh muscles.[/quote]

There have been good suggestions with squats and running, but you state your knees are bad because of feet so I would suggest first off finding a good podiatrist and have orthotics made or other corrective work done for your feet, this may help your feet/knees stop hurting. I went because of foot, knee/leg, and back pain and currently use orthotic insoles. I also had surgery done earlier this year (subtalar implant), that along with seeing a physical therapist a few times to show me the right kind of stretches to do to cure/prevent pain in certain areas like hip flexor and plantar fasciitis has really helped me. It is amazing what a little stretching in the right way and place everyday can do.

I also use an elliptical machine at home several times a week and go 4 miles each time. This seems to really help with the leg muscles along with strength training. This might help you as well.

shadragon
11-23-2007, 11:16

First step is to get a pair of really good quality running shoes that are guaranteed not to slip. You will need to tie them fairly tightly as you will be running fairly quick.

Then when the girlfriend asks you "Do I look fat in this?", just say:

"Yes, but at least it takes attention away from your face..."

http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/Oversized/maniac.gif

...and away you go...

LI Diver
11-23-2007, 13:04
For me, a healthy appetite led to packing on some surplus pounds over the years. Just walking around with the extra weight gave me legs like oak trees. Even in high school, I could leg press all the weight the machine had to offer for 3 sets of 15 reps with no great effort.

OK I took your advice and now have legs of steel, now please tell me how to get rid of the 75lbs of extra weight I'm carrying around on my upper body!!!!!!!

Silverlode
11-23-2007, 15:40
There have been good suggestions with squats and running, but you state your knees are bad because of feet so I would suggest first off finding a good podiatrist and have orthotics made or other corrective work done for your feet, this may help your feet/knees stop hurting. I went because of foot, knee/leg, and back pain and currently use orthotic insoles. I also had surgery done earlier this year (subtalar implant), that along with seeing a physical therapist a few times to show me the right kind of stretches to do to cure/prevent pain in certain areas like hip flexor and plantar fasciitis has really helped me. It is amazing what a little stretching in the right way and place everyday can do.

I also use an elliptical machine at home several times a week and go 4 miles each time. This seems to really help with the leg muscles along with strength training. This might help you as well.[/quote]

Thanks. I did have orthotics fitted last year and am still getting looked at every few months. Knee's still weak although not so much pain nowadays. Looking forward to the day when I can jog.

Physical therapist and stretches. That's a great idea. I might have to lookfor one. Walk 4 miles or jog/run?

Silverlode
11-23-2007, 15:41

First step is to get a pair of really good quality running shoes that are guaranteed not to slip. You will need to tie them fairly tightly as you will be running fairly quick.

Then when the girlfriend asks you "Do I look fat in this?", just say:

"Yes, but at least it takes attention away from your face..."

...and away you go...

:smilie39: rofl. except i'm the female!!!!

kev99
11-25-2007, 18:13

I also use an elliptical machine at home several times a week and go 4 miles each time. This seems to really help with the leg muscles along with strength training. This might help you as well.

Thanks. I did have orthotics fitted last year and am still getting looked at every few months. Knee's still weak although not so much pain nowadays. Looking forward to the day when I can jog.

Physical therapist and stretches. That's a great idea. I might have to lookfor one. Walk 4 miles or jog/run?[/quote]

I unerstand about the length of time in trying to correct issues like this. I look forward to when I can play tennis, basketball, football, or anything that involves running again full force without worrying if I am going to hurt my ankle. It was embarrassing the other week when my 10 year old nephew out run me in a game of backyard football with the family. Yeah, my wife and her team won because she is faster than me right now also! I was so ticked!

The physical therapist was a waste of my time, at least after the first time I went. All they did was ultrasound on my hip twice and then heat packs for fifteen minutes once. The rest of the time was them telling me to do the same stretches over and over every week while they talked and sipped coffee :smiley36: It only took me one time to learn the stretches and I did them at home as well. It really helped though, especially with the hip flexor stretch.

The 4 miles I do is on the elliptical and I go through different resistances, from light to heavy during the 30 minutes I spend on it; the machine I have goes from 1 to 20 on resistance and at 20 you can hardly move it. With the heart monitor on, and the setting on 20 you can feel and see you HR shoot up and the sweat comes on quick! The speed is measured in RPM's on the machine and I usually keep it above 60 RPM the whole time, and there are times when I will go really fast above 70 or 80 RPM, just to have variance in the workout.

ChrisA
11-26-2007, 01:19

The local dive site has a set of stairs, maybe 50 steps between the parking lot and the water. When I first started diving it used to take some effort to walk up in full gear. I dive there a couple times a week and after some time I no longer notice the stairs.

So my advice is very simple: Things that you do all the time become easy -- if you want something to be easy, do it frequently.

You do not need to belong to a gym to use a stair climber machine. Just go find some real stairs. They say doing four steps is better than doing a long flight of them. Go up and down 100 times. When that gets easy put on a weight belt. I'm in a pool about 3 times a week and I've started ding 400M with short "zoomer" fins on a kick board. At first my legs were sore the next day. But after a few weeks now I'm recovered after a couple hours.

But I prefer my method -- just go diving and do it a lot then, soon all the tasks associated with diving become easy.

shadragon
11-27-2007, 07:23

...and away you go...

:smilie39: rofl. except i'm the female!!!!
This way both of you get some good exercise... Just thinking outside the box here... :smiley29:

Matt P
11-27-2007, 08:48
Do you belong to a gym? See if the offer a spinning (indoor cycling) class. It's not a boring as it sounds. And, it is a fantastic workout. I'd have to say the thing that got my legs really ripped was training a martial art called Tae Kwon Do. It's ALL about kicks, spins, jumps, flying kicks, etc. I'm not sure if you're so inclined but it is an amazing leg and core body workout.

cutter77
01-11-2008, 23:49
Another good exercise is to put your back against a wall and bend your knees until it is like you are sitting in a chair. Stay like that for a minute or two. Feel the burn. It's also fun if you get in a similar position, but wthout the wall.

That's an oldie but a goldie....and it WORKS! (cheap too)

MSilvia
01-14-2008, 16:18
OK I took your advice and now have legs of steel, now please tell me how to get rid of the 75lbs of extra weight I'm carrying around on my upper body!!!!!!!
Now that you have the strong legs, run away from the pie!

cummings66
01-14-2008, 20:08
That's hard to do, I found a store selling pecan pie that's unbelievable. I've probably at 5000 calories today in desert. I'm not buying another one for a while, it's too tough to resist.

As to exercise, I get bored when I do static exercise. It's got to be real life, swimming, running, etc.

gbrdiver
01-23-2008, 07:59
If I am planning to go more than 30m (100ft), sadly I do take up a fitness program before the dive. I have found it really helps with the current that has not been there for years...

MSilvia
01-23-2008, 10:16
I get bored when I do static exercise.
I do to, if I'm focused on the exercise. Lately, I've taken to watching TV shows my wife doesn't want to see when I ride my stationary bike. With a good DVD full of episodes of a show I want to see, I get nice 40 minute workouts without thinking about how hard I'm working.

cmburch
02-23-2008, 14:18
Well for me it is swimming, bicycle riding, backpacking/hiking, and cross country skiing. In that order. I do not like swimming in the pool with short fins but for many that will really build the muscle. Also for specific exercises, I use the gym equipment at work. There are 3 exercises: sit on bench with legs down -lift the weight at ankle to straight out position, lay on bench stomach down - pull weight at ankle straight up, sit in angled back chair with legs near chest - push weight with feet. This is a terrible description, but most may know what I am trying to describe. Also sit (supported only by feet on floor and back on wall) with my back against a wall with legs at about a 90 degree angle. Swimming with a kick board and/or fins in the pool prior to going freediving or SCUBA will always prevent me from having ankle and leg problems.

terrillja
02-23-2008, 14:26
Well I can go the stationary bike for a long time if I have something to keep me occupied. I tend to read magazines, but there need to be more scuba diving mags, I always run out of new issues. My school had talked at one point about installing computers on the bikes (I do go to a tech school after all), but people turned it down due to cost vs benefit. Not to mention, I'd rather not touch a keyboard someone else has been sweating all over.

MicahEW
02-24-2008, 22:24

I have been doing squats for weeks and can really tell a diff. I dont get tired as quick and I can put more power in the kick.

rodeolocker
02-25-2008, 13:05
I know running is not a popular exercise, but to really build up leg muscles, shuttle runs or running ladders works really well to build up stamina in a hurry...we used it quite often in the Air Force for building leg muscles for withstanding G-forces while flying.

Also, jogging backwards really works the calves and thigh.
If you have access to weights of any kind, dead lifts, lunges with weight, really help tone muscle. If you don't have weights, leg lifts and flutter kicks are awesome for legs and abs.

rye_a
02-25-2008, 13:11
What floor do you live/work on? If you can, just use the stairs rather than the elevator, preferrably skipping stairs as you go.

emcbride81
02-25-2008, 16:56
What floor do you live/work on? If you can just use the stairs rather than the elevator, preferrably skipping stairs as you go.

Stairs are great, as well as sprinting. One great sprint style workout is interval training where you go at about 50% of your max speed for 2 minutes then all out for 1 minute on treadmill, bike, or on the track. Do this for 20-30 minutes depending on current fitness level.