PDA

View Full Version : Oronogo Dive Report 11-17-2007

Lineman Larry
11-19-2007, 17:07
Rolled out of bed at 5:00am. Didn't sleep well because I was worried about the wife coming down with a cold; or worse. She woke up at least 4 times that I know of coughing and not breathing well. I hate when she gets sick.

Threw the tanks in the back of the pick-up and the rest of my gear into the front seat. Had everything all staged up so it did not take long. I was rolling out the drive by 5:30, bleary eyed and downing my second cup of coffee.

Dawn does not break until 7:00 any more which is when I switched the CD player from Lee Greenwood to the Marshall Tucker Band. Time to kick it up a notch with a little more coffee.

Got to Oronogo about 8:40. Turned off the Michael Bolton and sat back to await Dark Wolf and clayhwalke. I had never met either of them before and hoped they would turn out OK. They showed a few minutes later and the whole insta buddy getting to know you ritual started. Fortunately it did not last long. DW and Cw had not dived together either and Cw had never been to Oronogo.

The best thing about diving this time of year is that everyone else is pretty much squared away and a little hard core when it comes to diving. DW and Cw were no different. No loudmouth know it all attitude from these guys. Both of them are about 20 years younger than I am and I wonder what there thoughts were about this old guy the were going to go with. For myself, these guys are going to be OK.

We paid our entrance fee and got geared up. Cw had a new backplate and wing and was going to have to get his weighting sorted out. What they did not know is that I had not been diving my drysuit that long and was still getting comfortable with it.

DW dives Oronogo on a semi-regular basis and I dive it seldom. We made a dive plan with him in the lead. Out to the Styrofoam marker, down the line past the training platform to the bottom. Check out the Cabin Cruiser and work our way up the road to Miss Budweiser. Ascend to the airplane and work our way back to start.

We all dropped like rocks to the bottom. We were all on air and at about 90ffw I took a hard look into everyone's eyes and got good OK sign's from everyone. DW led off, I don't doubt that I am a little bit narked but he managed to lead us in a circle. I was starting to get concerned but the cabin cruiser came into view so I did not worry about it. The rest of the dive went off without a hitch. 96ffw max depth and 62ffw average. Water temp was 50 and a total run time of 24 minutes. This is from my D3 dive watch. I thought the vis was outstanding and may have been 30 feet.

We spent a little more than 1 hours between dives and got to know each other a little better. We are all three on the edge of moving from rec to tec with the same issues. Time and Money. Each of us have what I believe is the proper approach and attitude toward our diving and each of us are more than willing to make the commitment to training. Money is always a big thing. Time is a different issue. Time with DW means how much can he be away from his 10 year old daughter that lives with him. Cw has a son also who demands his attention. I am just too old and set in my ways. Of the two of them, I don't know which one will be there first but it isn't a race and they know it.

Second dive we decided to do a little exploring. Cw had never been to Oronogo before so DW and I talked it over in detail. DW has a DIY can light that worked pretty well on our first dive. We put it to the test by visiting the Lincoln Divers sign in door #2. It is still there. 88ffw max and a run time of 28 min. I was on a single LP85 tank and ended up calling the dive on gas usage which is what we thought would be the case. We were not satisfied with the silt we kicked up but it was an excellent dive.

The air temp got up to the high 60's and there was no wind and clear blue skies. Two outstanding dives in the books and two new dive buddies for the winter. Great dive day.

DiveSooner
11-19-2007, 18:58
Great report. From the times that I've chatted with DW in the forum, he seemed extremely capable in leading a dive. Someday, I'd like to tag along.

Brandon Belew
11-19-2007, 19:44
Wish I would have known you guys were going, I would have tagged along. I should be going Dec 1,2 tagging along with our dive clubs OW class.

Dark Wolf
11-19-2007, 19:57
Thanks for the positive feedback, Lineman Larry! I had a great time diving with both of you guys. Still mad at myself for getting turned around! First time that I remember doing that! But we still had a couple of great dives.
Visibility was the best I think I have seen. I have seen it up to 25' when you got deeper, but I swear I think we were getting 30 or maybe a bit over.
The silting of the cavern had me beating myself over the head, but we all handles ourselves very well and had no problems.
I was really proud of my light, and I think that I have the slow leak fixed. Will find out at Stockton Lake tomorrow for sure.
All in all a fantastic day for diving and making new friends. The intial wondering about diving with two divers I had never dove with quickly fell from my mind. Everyone proved that they knew what they were doing, and we proceeded to have a great time. I enjoyed diving with both of you.We will have to do it again real soon.
DiveSooner: Thanks for your kind words, as well. And you are welcom to come along any time that your schedule allows. Will talk to you soon in The Room.

DW

navyhmc
11-19-2007, 20:16
Another profile for you to consider is go down to the 20' platfrom just off the entry point (the 4 pieces of styrofoam about 150' west of the entry point) follow the line down to the bottom (about 85'-90') and follow the line north about 100'-150' and you will find a cabin cruiser (100')

If you want to add a little bit more, 150' north of the cabin cruiser is a dog house. Follow the wall and be about 20' off of it and you'll see it at 110' depth.

Another is to go down to the budwiser follow the road up to about 60' and you'll see another line. Go ENE and you'll come to the ariplane. Follow it WSW and you'll find yourself in the car pool. The airplane is also under the far south west red bouy at 45'

Brandon Belew
11-19-2007, 20:53
Another profile for you to consider is go down to the 20' platfrom just off the entry point (the 4 pieces of styrofoam about 150' west of the entry point) follow the line down to the bottom (about 85'-90') and follow the line north about 100'-150' and you will find a cabin cruiser (100')

If you want to add a little bit more, 150' north of the cabin cruiser is a dog house. Follow the wall and be about 20' off of it and you'll see it at 110' depth.

Another is to go down to the budwiser follow the road up to about 60' and you'll see another line. Go ENE and you'll come to the ariplane. Follow it WSW and you'll find yourself in the car pool. The airplane is also under the far south west red bouy at 45'

I always tend to follow the same profile as dark, down to cabin cruiser, budweiser, over to the plane and back up the road. I would like to explore whats on the other side one of these days, or the boey in the north east corner. I went down the line a little there, but my dive buddy got cold so we didn't go any farther.

texdiveguy
11-19-2007, 21:08
When will they close to the public for the year??

Dark Wolf
11-19-2007, 21:56
Hey Tex,
Their last open weekend is the 1st and 2nd of December. Then they will open for a few hours on New Years Day.

DW

medicdiver
11-19-2007, 22:00

I always tend to follow the same profile as dark, down to cabin cruiser, budweiser, over to the plane and back up the road. I would like to explore whats on the other side one of these days, or the boey in the north east corner. I went down the line a little there, but my dive buddy got cold so we didn't go any farther.

I'm not sure what boey there is on the NE side. Is there another way to ID it. I was told the boey on the NW side leads down to a ladder that attaches at 170'. I was advised not to take this boey because much of the time the line is in open water and when staying within Recreational limits there is no point of reference to orient yourself also I was advised that if someone loses control of their bouyancy it can lead to trouble and end up in deep water.

medicdiver
11-19-2007, 22:01
Hey Tex,
Their last open weekend is the 1st and 2nd of December. Then they will open for a few hours on New Years Day.

DW

I'm hoping to get out there the weekend of the 1st and 2nd.

Soonerwink
11-19-2007, 22:15
Great dive report, sounds like the 3 of you had a great day diving. I haven't seen vis that good there in over 2 years. I may have to try and make it up there one more time this year.

Brandon Belew
11-19-2007, 22:47
Great dive report, sounds like the 3 of you had a great day diving. I haven't seen vis that good there in over 2 years. I may have to try and make it up there one more time this year.

It's always been fairly decent for me, at least at depth. Until your diving along the wall and a nitrox class comes down on top of you.. guess they've never heard of avalanches :P

texdiveguy
11-19-2007, 23:04
Hey Tex,

DW

Thanks

navyhmc
11-20-2007, 01:47
As medicdiver said, the bouy that is all by it's lonesome in the NW corner goes down to what's left of an old access ladder. Usually that's used by Tec students going to the 170' area. John told us that right below that is the tunnel that lead back to the locomotive. It's back about 500 yds and while it starts at about 150', it drops down to 180'. This is not a dive for me I can tell you that. "A man's got to know his limitations."

At the north end, there is a verticle shaft that descends to 60'(50'?) And is purported to be a good dive to start at the lower entrance and work your way up-there's reported to be a natural spring there that feeds the pit.

The best advice I can give is talk with John he knows all the in's and out's of Oronogo.

Lineman Larry
11-20-2007, 07:08
I would like to make it back over Thanksgiving weekend but my better half may have other plans. If I do, I will have to hook up with someone there cause it will be a last minute thing. If some old guy by himself asks to dive, give him a break.

Larry

Dark Wolf
11-20-2007, 07:13
We will be there on Saturday, hope to see you there!

DivingCRNA
11-25-2007, 18:12
As medicdiver said, the bouy that is all by it's lonesome in the NW corner goes down to what's left of an old access ladder. Usually that's used by Tec students going to the 170' area. John told us that right below that is the tunnel that lead back to the locomotive. It's back about 500 yds and while it starts at about 150', it drops down to 180'. This is not a dive for me I can tell you that. "A man's got to know his limitations."

At the north end, there is a verticle shaft that descends to 60'(50'?) And is purported to be a good dive to start at the lower entrance and work your way up-there's reported to be a natural spring there that feeds the pit.

The best advice I can give is talk with John he knows all the in's and out's of Oronogo.

John told me yesterday that the train will be available as a trimix tour dive next year. You can't go alone because people cut pieces out of the airplane. Who knows what they will do to the train. I suppose it is trimix because of the depth and narcosis. Who wants to be 500 yards back at 180 feet narced out of their gourd?

I do not think I will ever see that dive. I am not sure I will ever have the need for trimix. Deep air/nitrox-yes. Trimix? It is really expensive for what I would want to do in the midwest. I would have to live on the coast.

I am betting it is an expensive dive, too. But he did not give a price, and I did not ask because it is not a dive meant for me.

medicdiver
11-25-2007, 18:47
I was fooling around on the internet one day looking for the cost of He and it seemed that it was around .75 a cubic ft. A little pricey for me right now not counting the cost of the initial training. Maybe in the future.

texdiveguy
11-25-2007, 19:13
Just to give you an idea of trimix cost per fill....my local retail cost to fill a set of double lp85's to 3000psi with 21/35TMx will run $65.00. Cost will vary around the country, and of course cost can be reduced if you are lucky enough to have a fill station at home or you work/staff at a dive shop. And don't forget the cost of O2 and high % EANx used for deco on trimix dives. 'He' is a pricey gas, but if you intend to do deep/long diving it is a must in my book.

cummings66
11-26-2007, 10:50
Every trimix diver I've met has their own compressors and all, it's the only way to dive it affordably is what they claim. I think it may be true.

I also discovered that if John is around he will open in the off season for the right amount of money.

medicdiver
11-26-2007, 10:57
The word I get is he is asking $100 for entry during the off season and I think that is to open the park. So I was told if people get multiple divers to go it will then lower each individules cost.

cummings66
11-26-2007, 11:16
That is right, $100 will open the park up for you. The guys I know try to get a group of 10 to go when they do it.

texdiveguy
11-26-2007, 13:12
Every trimix diver I've met has their own compressors and all, it's the only way to dive it affordably is what they claim. I think it may be true.

Dang, I need to hook up with those 'few' you have met :) ....I can assure you that they are still in the 'minority' when it comes to owning a 'home trimix blending station'.

In terms of it being the only way to dive trimix affordably, for most typical 'mix' divers like myself its very difficult to justify the station set-up cost vs. the number of actual 'mix' dives conducted a year.

Technical mixed gas diving is not for someone whom is one a tight budget regardless of purchasing fills at retail/discounted or blending in your garage!

I do at times though envy those divers whom have that 'mix station' at home, as Martha would say--'it is a good thing'.

texdiveguy
11-26-2007, 13:25
That is right, $100 will open the park up for you. The guys I know try to get a group of 10 to go when they do it.

That is really not to bad all considered. Thanks for passing this info. along. :)

cummings66
11-26-2007, 21:06
You've probably met one of them, Charlie. Drives a big pickup truck towing a large White trailer, has tons of tanks and gear in it. Usually sets up an awning and looks like he's got a class to teach with all the gear he has, but it's just him. He dives all the time, I wonder when he finds the time to work.

DivingCRNA
11-27-2007, 13:27
You've probably met one of them, Charlie. Drives a big pickup truck towing a large White trailer, has tons of tanks and gear in it. Usually sets up an awning and looks like he's got a class to teach with all the gear he has, but it's just him. He dives all the time, I wonder when he finds the time to work.

I have dove with him couple time on New Year's Day. Another guy with his own mix station is Chuck. He also has a white trailer with a lot of gear, but it is a different guy.

Dark Wolf
11-28-2007, 23:16
I have met Charlie and Chuck both, but have dove with neither. Both are great guys.

Maybe we should try to set up a weekend and plan a get-together? Would anyone be interested?