PDA

View Full Version : fastest way to get a wetsuit dry?

chewyjr15
11-19-2007, 23:04
any trick to getting a suit to dry quickley?

lemonquist
11-19-2007, 23:13
my instructor told me to throw it in the washing machine, set it on the "delicates" setting, rinse with cold water and let the washing machine spin it dry. then hang it inside out. the machine does the heavy lifting.

I'm extremely new at this, so i'm also curious to find out what more experienced people do to dry off their wetsuits.

navyhmc
11-19-2007, 23:42
I'm not an advocate of putting your WS in the dryer or washing machine to spin or whatever. Start with the suit inside out and put it in a warm spot-but not too warm. Then, after in inside is mostly dry, turn it outside right and let it hang again. Not rocket science, a little slow but I've done this with one suit and it lasted 20+ years

scubaaaronh
11-20-2007, 07:50
Put it in a small room with a dehumidifier (sp?). Totally dry the next morning. You may have to empty the dehumidifier once during the drying time. Walmart has one for about 50 bucks online thats works pretty well. The bigger the unit the less you have to empty it though. Had an instructor show me that trick last summer. It was so nice the second day of diving climbing into a dry suit.

WV Diver
11-20-2007, 09:31
my instructor told me to throw it in the washing machine, set it on the "delicates" setting, rinse with cold water and let the washing machine spin it dry. then hang it inside out. the machine does the heavy lifting.

I've done this for years but don't use the delicate cycle. :smiley36: I can't begin to tell you the amount of abuse my wetsuit for work takes. I wash it every chance I get which can be only once a week and that's not good.

Anyway, I wash all my personal and all our work suits in a regular washing machine then just hang them inside out over night then turn them.

We often leave them in the sun to dry, this speeds things up greatly. Most manufacturers do not recommend this practice. But to be honest I see no ill effects to the practical aspects of doing such things. The suit still performs as good as ever albeit they may be faded a little, due to the sun or maybe because we also frequently but them in 10% bleach solution but that is another story.

In short, I think wetsuits are a lot heartier than most folks give them credit for.

Navy OnStar
11-20-2007, 10:53
Anyone ever use that hanger with a fan that pushes air through the suit?

Steve Scuba
11-20-2007, 10:58
There is that funky drying hanger. It's called the "Hangair." I don't have one, but it appears to use a fan built into the hanger to push air through the suit. I couldn't find it on the ST site, but I've seen it around for about $70. I used to have a boot drier that woked in a similar way, and it performed quite well.

Don't know how well the hangair would dry the arms, but the idea seems like it could work, especially if there were air chanels the force air out the sides of the hanger into the arms.

Steve Scuba
11-20-2007, 10:59
Anyone ever use that hanger with a fan that pushes air through the suit?

D'oh you beat me to it.

scootermcfly
11-20-2007, 11:27
I just usually hang it in the downstairs where the de-humidifier lives and that takes care of drying rather quickly.

Scooter McFly

TRACI
11-20-2007, 11:39
I am kind of curious if the hanger would work ?

gibson1525
11-20-2007, 11:47
HangAir® (http://www.hangairs.com/)

looks pretty cool

only $40 here (http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HANGAIR&Category_Code=featured-items&Store_Code=WW&cid=nextag)

scubasavvy
11-20-2007, 12:08
That's pretty nifty. I think I'm going to pick one of them up.

CaribbeanDiver
11-20-2007, 13:59
I just hang it up on a wetsuit hanger. the suit is dry the next day is hung indoors (like a garage or gear locker room) or in a few hours if hung outside in the sun.
I dont worry about the suit wear due to the sun because I seem to wear out a suit at around 100 dives or so.

CompuDude
11-20-2007, 14:29
Cheapest HangAir: http://www.allthingsscuba.com/UK/Wetsuits/HangAir.html

I don't have one (yet), but have heard good things about them. I'm likely to try to get one for my drysuit. I have InstaDry wetsuits, so drying out my wetsuit isn't really an issue for me.

mcc2318
11-20-2007, 15:47
I bought a small fan at walmart an left it in the closet with the ws hang up

tarheeldiver
11-20-2007, 19:24
Scubatoys is supposed to be getting the Hangair in I had Joe put me on the waiting list 45.00 I think.

Cheddarchick
11-20-2007, 19:26
I turn mine inside out so at last the dry side is against my skin......

IrishSquid
11-20-2007, 19:49
I've done this for years but don't use the delicate cycle. :smiley36: I can't begin to tell you the amount of abuse my wetsuit for work takes. I wash it every chance I get which can be only once a week and that's not good.

Anyway, I wash all my personal and all our work suits in a regular washing machine then just hang them inside out over night then turn them.

We often leave them in the sun to dry, this speeds things up greatly. Most manufacturers do not recommend this practice. But to be honest I see no ill effects to the practical aspects of doing such things. The suit still performs as good as ever albeit they may be faded a little, due to the sun or maybe because we also frequently but them in 10% bleach solution but that is another story.

In short, I think wetsuits are a lot heartier than most folks give them credit for.

I agree. I had an O'neil wetsuit I used surfing for 6 yrs. while in the Navy. It got a daily dose of salt, sand, and sun. It got a rinse at the beach, wrung semi dry by hand, and hung on my board while I tried cultivating leather on my frame.:smiley5:
Then when I got back to base, in the washer /dryer it went. It was still usable up to 3 yrs. ago; total of 18 yrs. I don't know where it got to, it just disappeared. Probably into that "Black Hole" where all of my stuff goes that doesn't match what my wife thinks is fashionable or nice.

quasimoto
11-20-2007, 20:09
A good friend of mine ended up with a wet suit full of holes from a washer. His wife had dove it twice. Needless to say that I won't be using the washer idea. I have always had good luck with just turning it inside out in the sun and then turn it right side out and hang it someplace out of the sun.

Sombody post something about the hangair when they get one.

CompuDude
11-20-2007, 20:22

I agree. I had an O'neil wetsuit I used surfing for 6 yrs. while in the Navy. It got a daily dose of salt, sand, and sun. It got a rinse at the beach, wrung semi dry by hand, and hung on my board while I tried cultivating leather on my frame.:smiley5:
Then when I got back to base, in the washer /dryer it went. It was still usable up to 3 yrs. ago; total of 18 yrs. I don't know where it got to, it just disappeared. Probably into that "Black Hole" where all of my stuff goes that doesn't match what my wife thinks is fashionable or nice.

Surfing suits don't have to deal with the same issues as diving suits, though.

Around here, surfers wear 3mm wetsuits for years and years and are fine. Divers need 7mm or a drysuit, and the 7mm suits aren't nearly the same within 3 years.

TRACI
11-20-2007, 20:28
My wetsuit is cheap, so I have put in the washer, once I invest more $$ into another wetsuit I will probably take more precaution ;)

scubajane
11-21-2007, 17:32
wetsuit cries to get into the washer.... never will I let it venture into the hot melting world of the dryer. the problem is when we're in a hotel room and not much air circulating. applying a wet cold wetsuit to a snuggy warm body is just miserable. but once I hit the water it's all good.

mcc2318
11-26-2007, 15:35
a dryer should kill a wetsuit

Marcus
11-27-2007, 23:01
Fastest way to get a wetsuit dry is to wear a spare wetsuit for your next dive...:smiley2: