PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in shape

mcc2318
11-20-2007, 01:28
I've been using what i learned from the army but I'm trying to lose 40 pounds I know that means a lot of cardio but any ideas?

scootermcfly
11-20-2007, 06:07
Running is one of the best cardio along with biking, and if you were in the ARMY, I am sure you know all about long distance running.

I'm one of those freaks that enjoys running,
Scooter McFly

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-20-2007, 09:40
I run. I can't really say that I enjoy it, but I've dropped 15 pounds. Just 10 more to go to get to my so-called "ideal" weight. If I'd give up beer I'd lose that extra 10 in a jiffy.

It's nice to drop weight but the main benefit is don't get tired as easily after exertion.

rach
11-20-2007, 10:46
as everyone will probably say, if you're trying to lose weight, it's more about what you eat than exercise (don't get me wrong, exercise is still important!)...if you're trying to get 'in shape' for endurance, i'd focus on running and swimming with weight training 4x a week or so...

if you're just trying to drop weight, really think about what you can live without (like beer? soda? that snickers bar after lunch?)...it's as much fun as a 5 mile run, i know, but that'll be what really makes the difference...

to truly lose weight and keep it off, it's not about starving yourself, but instead about eating the right stuff...and being active....

now if only i could follow my own advice!! :smiley36:

ScubaJenn81
11-20-2007, 11:07
I have to agree. They say that diet makes up 70% of your weight, while exercise makes up only 30%. If you really want to step up your weight loss, you will really have to consider your food intake as well

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-20-2007, 12:19
Good point.

I didn't start exercising in order to lose weight, thought its a nice benefit.

I had been trying to start and exercise a program off and on for a few years now.

The final impetus was a shore dive incident in which I barely had enough strength and endurance handle the (very moderate) conditions. If my buddy had had an issue I doubt I would have been able to help. My daughter (in my pic) wants to dive with me when she is old enough. I do not want to ever be in the position of not being able to help her because I am out of shape.

Besides running I am doing push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups. I can do all of these without having to make it to the gym or pool which I believe was that main thing that kept me from keeping at my programs in the past.

My diet is pretty good already. Need to cut back on the beer a bit and increase the leafy greens. Main thing though is to avoid snacking at work. They have free snacks and soft drinks in the break room. It's amazing that I only gained 25 pound in the 10 years I've worked there.

rach
11-20-2007, 13:21
Main thing though is to avoid snacking at work. They have free snacks and soft drinks in the break room. It's amazing that I only gained 25 pound in the 10 years I've worked there.

wow, i'd be a cow if i had free food at work!! lucky you--and good job not going overboard with it...

maybe that's why i've lost weight since moving...no free food and having to walk to work every day...hmmm...

mcc2318
11-20-2007, 13:28
When I wasa fire fighter i was in the best shape but I left after katrina, at worked on an ambulance, i blew up sitting in a glorified van

Mtrewyn
11-21-2007, 01:38
I'm not that old but I have started to put on some weight, I'm running and watching what I'm eating and have been pretty successful so far, but their a lot of things to look at to see what kind of shape you are in, me for instance, I've lost 17 lbs ( does not sound like a lot but read on), lost 4 points on my BM, and 7% on my body fat, my resting hart rate is in the low W's my blood pressure runs at 120/50-60, but here is the part that PI$%@$ me off my cholesterol went up by almost 100 points granted my ratio of good to bad is still ok but here I am doing all that medical science and dietary science tells me to do and for all practical uses it was for not, my Dr wants to put me on meds to bring it down.

I know this is smart a$$ed but I think I'll just go back to eating how i want and not doing anything but 12 oz curls and thumb squats on the remote.

not that i could do this... it is all habit for me now and running is habit and i "jones" for it, but it still makes me mad.

Kabniel
11-21-2007, 03:00
I am in shape...ROUND is a shape :smilie40:

Tableleg
11-21-2007, 08:34
Momma's lost like 70lbs. between weight watchers (a pay-for-use calorie counting program) and just watching the quality/quantity of what she eats (complex carbs vs simple, good fats instead of transfats, etc) without so much as lifting a finger or taking a step.

Fat loss can be done without exercise, but it's much harder. Mtrewyn hits on a better way of looking with the body composition vs. just jumping on the scale. When you started running again, you say you lost 15lbs. In reality, you've probably lost 20~25lbs of fat, but gained back 5~10lbs of muscle mass. So that number the scale tells you should be looked at subjectively. It's not always a good gauge of what's going on. :smiley20:

frankc420
11-21-2007, 08:56
After reading this thread I've decided that I don't want to lose weight, I want to lose body fat. Good thing my scale at home tells body fat %.

I'm going to borrow a friends road bike in the near future and I hope to get in at least 30 miles a week for the first couple of weeks, that should put some pep back into my step.

I'm currently at 265.5lbs, that's insane, since I was 170lbs back in high school! I can see myself at 200lbs... that would be <borat> VERY NICE! </borat>

medicdiver
11-21-2007, 15:39
When I wasa fire fighter i was in the best shape but I left after katrina, at worked on an ambulance, i blew up sitting in a glorified van

I know how you feel. I have been working in EMS for over 5 years and I weigh the most I have ever weighed. The thing that upsets me is my lack of disipline to do what is needed to lose the weight. After I got out of the Army, I still ate like I was in. Gradually I gained the weight. Once during the past few years, tried hard to join a Fire Department. I worked out 3-4 times a week and lost weight and did well enough to pass the physical agility exam but since I was in Medic school, they would not hire me because of a Union thing. So that sent me on a downward path. I went through my intership and started gaining weight and I haven't looked back since.:smiley13:. I am currently trying to change things.

ChrisA
11-26-2007, 01:40
I've been using what i learned from the army but I'm trying to lose 40 pounds I know that means a lot of cardio but any ideas?

cardio is good. But it's effect on weight loss is not that much.

All that matters is how many calories you eat and how many you burn. Working out at the gym burns at most a few hundred calories but you are likely eating more than two thousand calories. Controlling the intake is much more effective then trying to burn more.

Actually you need to do both.

scubajane
11-29-2007, 17:20
Fat loss can be done without exercise, but it's much harder. Mtrewyn hits on a better way of looking with the body composition vs. just jumping on the scale. When you started running again, you say you lost 15lbs. In reality, you've probably lost 20~25lbs of fat, but gained back 5~10lbs of muscle mass. So that number the scale tells you should be looked at subjectively. It's not always a good gauge of what's going on. :smiley20:

Eat less move more..
do not stare at the scale.
look at your clothes, how do they fit? the scale is fickle
what notch are you using on your belt
can you actually wear a belt again??

diver_daver
12-07-2007, 09:46
It's all about calories in ~ calories out!

Calories in: Watch what you put in, cut back {not remove} on the extra treats, increase the quality of food your eating, start cooking real food vs prepackaged stuff {if your schedule is busy, create a weeks worth of meals in one evening ~ this works, we have two girls in hockey, karate, swimming, music, guides, oh yah I also want to go diving sometime again...}.

Calories out: Cardio {your running example} is good and keep it up, especially if you enjoy it. You also need to add resistance training, now you don't need to lift like and Olympian, but you do need to start pushing the weight. This can be bodyweight exercises {pushups, squats, situps, pullups, etc.} at home or working out in the weight room.

You'll have better long term effects from adding resistance training, the biggest one you'll see is that when the weight comes off you will have muscles showing up!

GDiver
12-07-2007, 10:28
I ran across a great fitness site that gives a workout of the day. The workouts are hard and require a decent gym, but I love the way they make me feel when I'm finished.

Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness (http://www.crossfit.com)

somewhereinla
12-07-2007, 12:16
I would say that one of the best exercise you can do is swimming, you get your cardio, strech, and workout all at the same time and it will help your diving a lot.

ScubaJW
12-07-2007, 13:19
I was raised in north Georgia, I used to hike a lot. I loved hiking, but unfortunately, in FL, there aren't any hill. I am currently using treadmill and machines provided in this apt community.

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 18:52
I have always just cut down on portions, walked regularly, and did push ups everyday. If you are confined to an office, one of those small executive under desk exercise bikes work GREAT!!!

Duckydiver
12-12-2007, 21:05
Last year I had a personal trainer for a little while. I was having the best workouts ever. Besided the one on one motivation, he kept throwing new excercises at me, It never got old...just expensive.

adv_diver1
12-12-2007, 21:12
Just do it. - Great slogan. - It hurts to hear it, but it works. I have always used it to push myself. Thanks Nike.

teog
12-12-2007, 21:47
Cardio and eating right. My problem is eating..lol
Seriously I hate cardio so in order not to get bored I have different cardio exercises to alternate. I usualy do cardio 2-3 weekly. One day running, one day the eliptical and one day walking on the treadmill at full incline at a fast pace. This way I only have to run once a week. I also

LCFrigon
12-13-2007, 03:07
Whenever talking about weight loss, most people always chant cardio cardio cardio, but it just isn't true. Cardio is a part of weight management, but not the whole thing. Count your calories, do cardio, and weight train. Weight training builds lean muscle mass which in turn raises your metabolism which burns more calories.

Also, you begin to look better quicker as your muscles firm and tone. If you are looking at losing a lot of weight, diet is not enough, cardio is not enough, and neither is weight training. The answer is all three. (weight traing also helps with the loose extra skin you gain as you lean down)

Do your cardio, get your sweat on, then do a circuit of weights at low weight and high reps (20-25) and count your calories.

I am in a similar situation, too many beers have made my mid section a little too round, and I have recently quite smoking so don't want added weight from that expenditure. Also the wife doesn't like my ab! I told her 1 big one is as good as 6 little ones, but she didn't buy it :)

The key is persistence....keep going and going and going till it happens...nothing happens immediately unless you want lypo, but then you still have to heal :)

Good luck!!

teog
12-13-2007, 14:16
Whenever talking about weight loss, most people always chant cardio cardio cardio, but it just isn't true. Cardio is a part of weight management, but not the whole thing. Count your calories, do cardio, and weight train. Weight training builds lean muscle mass which in turn raises your metabolism which burns more calories.

Also, you begin to look better quicker as your muscles firm and tone. If you are looking at losing a lot of weight, diet is not enough, cardio is not enough, and neither is weight training. The answer is all three. (weight traing also helps with the loose extra skin you gain as you lean down)

Do your cardio, get your sweat on, then do a circuit of weights at low weight and high reps (20-25) and count your calories.

I am in a similar situation, too many beers have made my mid section a little too round, and I have recently quite smoking so don't want added weight from that expenditure. Also the wife doesn't like my ab! I told her 1 big one is as good as 6 little ones, but she didn't buy it :)

The key is persistence....keep going and going and going till it happens...nothing happens immediately unless you want lypo, but then you still have to heal :)

Good luck!!

I absolutly agree. There is no magic pill or magic date that will having your lose weight. Its a lifestyle change.

Most trainers agree in HIT cardio provides the best results. Do a search on google and you'll learn all about it.

LCFrigon
12-13-2007, 20:56

Good luck!!

I absolutly agree. There is no magic pill or magic date that will having your lose weight. Its a lifestyle change.

Most trainers agree in HIT cardio provides the best results. Do a search on google and you'll learn all about it.

Google is a great way to find ideas and methods, but like all open forums you have to be careful on where you find your infomation, (like here :) The best way to be safe is to contact a reputable gym that empolyees licensed fitness trainers, and have them build you a routine suited for your lifestyle and needs.

teog
12-13-2007, 21:45

Good luck!!

Google is a great way to find ideas and methods, but like all open forums you have to be careful on where you find your infomation, (like here :) The best way to be safe is to contact a reputable gym that empolyees licensed fitness trainers, and have them build you a routine suited for your lifestyle and needs.

HIT programs are pretty standard. Not much difference in how they work in cardio. But Im sure some one some where would miss it up.:smiley20:

Bodybuilding.com is a great resource.

divingchef
12-14-2007, 10:39
as everyone will probably say, if you're trying to lose weight, it's more about what you eat than exercise (don't get me wrong, exercise is still important!)...if you're trying to get 'in shape' for endurance, i'd focus on running and swimming with weight training 4x a week or so...

if you're just trying to drop weight, really think about what you can live without (like beer? soda? that snickers bar after lunch?)...it's as much fun as a 5 mile run, i know, but that'll be what really makes the difference...

to truly lose weight and keep it off, it's not about starving yourself, but instead about eating the right stuff...and being active....

Ditto Rach...

I have just lost 45lbs since 12 Aug....being a chef I have a tendency to "graze"....and all of a sudden whammmm Iīm 230lbs ......this morning i weighed 183.....I did it without excercise or amphetamines.......am I feel great......Im sure if a doctor reads this.....I will get reprimanded heavily...

it is important to look at this as a change in "culinary lifestyle" and not a diet.....diets donīt work....they donīt work mentally.....change your life....quitting beer is the hardest....

I have done this "anti-atkins" diet twice, both times with stellar results....the first time was about 5 years ago....same situation, but greater weight loss and over a longer period of time....I kept the weight off until I moved to mexico (damn tacos, tortillas, pacifico)....

it goes like this .....note: this is not for everyone....the first three weeks are VERY difficult....

First thing I do is fast.....it has alway been important to shock my body and go through the "DTīs" all at the same time.....stop coffee and alcohol at the same time....if you smoke....you will probably double your consumption in the first 2 weeks, then youīll be suprised how easy it is to quit.....this is all mental....all mental.....

I fast for at least 3 days, this time I went 5......only water and green tea (and vitamins...1000mg C and several B sups daily).....NOTHING else.......Lots of water.....I try to drink a liter every 20 minutes or so....this is to clean out your body......get rid of all the gunk youīve built up over time.....

then when you are ready to eat again.....your body will tell you when its time....however its suprising after 2 days of fasting, your hunger goes away and you feel like you can go a month without food...

Then you start eating.....very important to continue vitamins and water consumption...

1 time a day (mid-day) , nishiki rice (steamed, no salt..like they do in sushi restaurants, one of those automatic rice cookers is the best and easiest) season with soy (low sodium) and rice vinegar (not sushi vinegar, it contains lots of sugar) and i add alot of togarashi (japanese chile and spice mix) Eat a big bowl....eat it slow....real slow.....eat it with chopsticks.....slow......

thats it....youīre done for the day.......

now do that for about two weeks until you see your body beginning to change...

after about two weeks, continue with your rice at mid-day, but add a banana at around 6pm....lots of water!!

after about two weeks of that....add raw chopped veggies to your rice.....
continue banana...

now youve had this change in culinary lifestyle for six weeks.....you should see extreme results already( if not, youre cheating.....NO ALCOHOL! NO CAFFIENE, NO DIET SODAS, NO NOTHING).....now its your call.....

I follow this by adding a banana in the morning and second smaller bowl of rice in the evening, continue with the water.....

after i start getting to where I want to be, Iīll add a glass of wine here and there.....Iīll add raw fish (tuna, snapper etc) ....when I do eat outside of the rice.....NO other carbs.....eat pure protein.....no red meat....chicken, fish, seafood....(yeah I know seafood is high in cholesterol, but its almost pure protein with low fat, up to this point I donīt have a problem with cholesterol)

and then eat this way until you get to a point where you are happy with your body....

you have now changed your culinary lifestyle, not dieted (the problem with a diet, it starts and ends and youre just looking for an excuse to eat like you did before) .....donīt start drinking beer again (or if you do, drink one, not eight, donīt eat bread or drink milk or eat dairy products.....those are "stupid" calories and stick it right on your love handles....

When I drink now, I drink good vodka (on the rocks with lime juice) or wine.....I have restarted coffee...but ONE cup in the morning, not six...

Its extreme, but it worked for me....its pure discipline....how bad do you want it?

Your weight can be maintained over time by doing "rice flashbacks" and go back to pure rice with a couple of days of fasting for a two week period to remind your body what its all about....

teog
12-14-2007, 12:06
Its great you lost that you lost that much weight.kudos! But like you said your method is not for everyone.

MissyB
12-16-2007, 09:57
I just read with interest the meal plan from divingchef. Very interesting! I am amused, however, that you are convinced that this is 'not a diet'! If that is not a diet, I don't know what is!
I have been limiting sugar and empty carbohydrates (refined flour- pasta, bread etc), increasing water and protein, and have lost significant flab and feel great and like I can maintain this eating style indefinitely, except when presented with dark chocolate, which I keep reading is good for me, in moderation of course....
Marie

Ditto Rach...

I have just lost 45lbs since 12 Aug....being a chef I have a tendency to "graze"....and all of a sudden whammmm Iīm 230lbs ......this morning i weighed 183.....I did it without excercise or amphetamines.......am I feel great......Im sure if a doctor reads this.....I will get reprimanded heavily...

it is important to look at this as a change in "culinary lifestyle" and not a diet.....diets donīt work....they donīt work mentally.....change your life....quitting beer is the hardest....

I have done this "anti-atkins" diet twice, both times with stellar results....the first time was about 5 years ago....same situation, but greater weight loss and over a longer period of time....I kept the weight off until I moved to mexico (damn tacos, tortillas, pacifico)....

it goes like this .....note: this is not for everyone....the first three weeks are VERY difficult....

First thing I do is fast.....it has alway been important to shock my body and go through the "DTīs" all at the same time.....stop coffee and alcohol at the same time....if you smoke....you will probably double your consumption in the first 2 weeks, then youīll be suprised how easy it is to quit.....this is all mental....all mental.....

I fast for at least 3 days, this time I went 5......only water and green tea (and vitamins...1000mg C and several B sups daily).....NOTHING else.......Lots of water.....I try to drink a liter every 20 minutes or so....this is to clean out your body......get rid of all the gunk youīve built up over time.....

then when you are ready to eat again.....your body will tell you when its time....however its suprising after 2 days of fasting, your hunger goes away and you feel like you can go a month without food...

Then you start eating.....very important to continue vitamins and water consumption...

1 time a day (mid-day) , nishiki rice (steamed, no salt..like they do in sushi restaurants, one of those automatic rice cookers is the best and easiest) season with soy (low sodium) and rice vinegar (not sushi vinegar, it contains lots of sugar) and i add alot of togarashi (japanese chile and spice mix) Eat a big bowl....eat it slow....real slow.....eat it with chopsticks.....slow......

thats it....youīre done for the day.......

now do that for about two weeks until you see your body beginning to change...

after about two weeks, continue with your rice at mid-day, but add a banana at around 6pm....lots of water!!

after about two weeks of that....add raw chopped veggies to your rice.....
continue banana...

now youve had this change in culinary lifestyle for six weeks.....you should see extreme results already( if not, youre cheating.....NO ALCOHOL! NO CAFFIENE, NO DIET SODAS, NO NOTHING).....now its your call.....

I follow this by adding a banana in the morning and second smaller bowl of rice in the evening, continue with the water.....

after i start getting to where I want to be, Iīll add a glass of wine here and there.....Iīll add raw fish (tuna, snapper etc) ....when I do eat outside of the rice.....NO other carbs.....eat pure protein.....no red meat....chicken, fish, seafood....(yeah I know seafood is high in cholesterol, but its almost pure protein with low fat, up to this point I donīt have a problem with cholesterol)

and then eat this way until you get to a point where you are happy with your body....

you have now changed your culinary lifestyle, not dieted (the problem with a diet, it starts and ends and youre just looking for an excuse to eat like you did before) .....donīt start drinking beer again (or if you do, drink one, not eight, donīt eat bread or drink milk or eat dairy products.....those are "stupid" calories and stick it right on your love handles....

When I drink now, I drink good vodka (on the rocks with lime juice) or wine.....I have restarted coffee...but ONE cup in the morning, not six...

Its extreme, but it worked for me....its pure discipline....how bad do you want it?

Your weight can be maintained over time by doing "rice flashbacks" and go back to pure rice with a couple of days of fasting for a two week period to remind your body what its all about....

diver_0925
12-16-2007, 10:15
A fellow fireman told me about a diet pill that he lost about 40 lbs on in about 6 weeks. Its called phentermine. Its the phen (1) from phen - phen. Phen (2) was the ingriedient that was geting people sick. He swears by it.

divingyogini
12-16-2007, 11:14
A fellow fireman told me about a diet pill that he lost about 40 lbs on in about 6 weeks. Its called phentermine. Its the phen (1) from phen - phen. Phen (2) was the ingriedient that was geting people sick. He swears by it.

This drug has been linked to causing heart disease. From everything I hear it's very dangerous.

But, any diet which has you drop weight with the use of a drug means you either have to stay on the drug or risk the rebound effect and regain the weight.

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix, other than burn more calories than you consume, and cut out high fructose corn syrup and trans fats from your diet (easier said than done-even pickles have high fructose corn syrup!)

divingchef
12-16-2007, 15:41
MissyB,

it really a semantic thing for me.....if I call it a diet, it wont work....and I donīt really see it as a diet......I have found that it allows your body to return to "ground zero" and restart from there......I sort of "reset" my alimentary lifestyle and re-instate only the foodstuffs I consider to be important....if you love french fries and can mentally remove that "love" from your eating portfolio, you will no longer crave them....I guess its just a game I play with my mind when I make this change...It works for me, call what you like....I went from a 42 waist to a 35 waist in 4 months...and I have more energy and feel better than ever.....but I do occaisionally still miss the beer.....(:

Goober
12-16-2007, 15:45
I'm a fairly good weight for my height. However, I look like I swallowed a soccer ball. I'd like to get from 200 down to 185 but my work schedual doesn't really permit much of anything. Guess I'll have to wait until spring till the Y's pool opens back up:smiley13:.

cheebaweebie
12-16-2007, 16:08
I would like to make a suggestion on what works for me. I found my best weight at 182 6'2. I would say I am fairly fit. I work out say 3 time a week but as a few other posts on this thread mentioned diet is key. Cardio is good but people can overdo it on cardio. But a high quality meal replacement shake and drink as a meal. Eat smaller portions 5 to 6 times daily. Higher protein and lower carbs and limit carbs to whole grains that don't have an affect on insulin levels (no white breads or enriched flours) Chicken, turkey, lean beef. I have been working out for around 10 years consistently and spend 4 yrs in the Marines (Semper Fi !!) in my early 20's. This works for me and may not work for everyone. I don't do much cardio and drink lots of beer but I stay active at 35. My avatar was a pic taken in August of this year... I'm no expert but I do what works and the key for me has been what I eat and how.

cummings66
12-16-2007, 21:06
I've got to say, divingchef's starvation diet sounds as appealing as bamboo shoots under my fingernails. While I might eat those foods and enjoy them, there is no way I could remain active on that many calories a day.

I think the best diet is a restriction of calories and an increase in activity to boost how many calories a day you burn. I have found for myself that I can not limit my foods that way and not have a terrible rebound once I'm freed from the diet.

Moderation is the key, and sadly I lack it.

teog
12-17-2007, 11:09
I've got to say, divingchef's starvation diet sounds as appealing as bamboo shoots under my fingernails. While I might eat those foods and enjoy them, there is no way I could remain active on that many calories a day.

I think the best diet is a restriction of calories and an increase in activity to boost how many calories a day you burn. I have found for myself that I can not limit my foods that way and not have a terrible rebound once I'm freed from the diet.

Moderation is the key, and sadly I lack it.

I agree with lower calories and multiple smaller meals a day.

Kingpatzer
12-17-2007, 12:16
Basically there's a few key points:

1) you need to do cardio, but not necessarily intense cardio. If you've not worked out in years and have to drop more than 10# or so, start with walking or swimming or other low impact exercises at a moderate pace.

2) you need to change your diet. People eating proper portions of healthy food do not get fat. Eat whole grains, whole fruits, nuts and veggies, lean meats, avoid added fats, processed sugars, exessive red meat etc. Keep your caloric intake low enough that you'll lose about 1# a week without any exercise. That's low enough to lose weight, but not so low that you start metabolising your own muscle. You need to never go back to your old diet again. This is not a transitional step. This is not a diet you'll get off of eventually. If you got fat, it was because you weren't eating healthily. Eath healthy from now on. On the plus side -- people who show a mild caloric deficit in their daily diet live longer than people who show an equally mild caloric excess.

3) you need to resistence training to build muscle. Muscle burns more calories just doing nothing than fat does. Weight lifting, pillates, etc., builds muscle more efficiently than cardio does. Lifting, even modereately, raises your resting metabolism and burns calories. This means that you'll have an easier time losing weight, and keeping it off once it's gone.

Everything else is gimmicks. Anyone who claims you can do it without doing those 3 steps is seriously misinformed. Anyone who claims you need to do more is equally misinformed. Both are probably trying to sell you something.

cummings66
12-17-2007, 12:32
2) you need to change your diet. People eating proper portions of healthy food do not get fat. Eat whole grains, whole

The qualification here is that you eat a proper portion for your bodies needs and not somebody who's a similar build. I know skinny people who eat 3 times the amount of food I do and they're skin and bones.

Kingpatzer
12-17-2007, 12:59
2) you need to change your diet. People eating proper portions of healthy food do not get fat. Eat whole grains, whole

The qualification here is that you eat a proper portion for your bodies needs and not somebody who's a similar build. I know skinny people who eat 3 times the amount of food I do and they're skin and bones.

Sure -- but I bet those skinny people are actually lean muscle and bones, not just skin :)

That's why I qualified it with eat about as much as would allow you to lose 1# a week without exercise. More than that is too much and less than that will put your body into starvation mode.