PDA

View Full Version : BSA SeaBase?

PFD305
11-20-2007, 09:23
My scout troop is looking into the live-aboard trip that they offer. Anyone ever been on one, or at the base in general? It sounds like a great time and the price seems pretty damn good. Finally we now have enough certified scouts and another leader.

mike_s
11-20-2007, 13:24
There are several posts about seabase on Scubaboard in the scouts/youth forum. just do a search and you'll find your question answered.

note that it doesn't offer tons of number of dives for the week long stay you are there. You might be better off going with a commercial liveaboard or something.

LI Diver
11-20-2007, 14:33
My kids did the scuba camp at sea base and loved it. I visited and have friends that chaperoned and I can say that they have a first rate program.

CaptainRon
11-21-2007, 04:22
My son did the sailing/reef snorkel live aboard for a week and loved it.

LI Diver
11-23-2007, 12:56

DID THEY DO ANY SCUBA OR JUST SNORKELING?

DiverBoy100
11-23-2007, 15:02
I worked at sea base last summer and will be back this summer as a divemaster...the live aboard is a great trip never done it but heard nothing but good things from it...their scuba program is awesome i did when i saw a scout and had the time of my life...if you have any questions let me know

BuzzGA
11-24-2007, 16:14
I was there a couple of time as a teen (20 years ago) and I still have vivid memories of my experiences. Do it!

cgvmer
11-24-2007, 20:10
Remember the seabase trip will not give you as many dives as a commercial trip on the other hand, most kids will tire of a week of 4 dives a day.

CaptainRon
11-24-2007, 22:04

DID THEY DO ANY SCUBA OR JUST SNORKELING?

They just did snorkeling. Lived on the sailboat for a week with an overnight stop in Key West. Went snorkeling several times a day along with catching lobster. No SCUBA though....

mike_s
11-25-2007, 12:22
Remember the seabase trip will not give you as many dives as a commercial trip on the other hand, most kids will tire of a week of 4 dives a day.

This is a very good point on both items.... I personally wouldn't prefere a trip to Sea Base as a primary dive destination because of they don't have a very high number of weekly dives. They also limit dives to under 60 or 65 feet I think.

However, you point out that kids will tire of 4 dives per day. I think that's true as a whole, but some kids will push through and want more. (but as a whole you are right)

DiverBoy100
11-25-2007, 15:58
Sea Base is a great place to let kids find out wether or not they like the sport of SCUBA diving...they are relax and dont push the kids...i personally recommend it to anyone who wants to find out if they will enjoy diving...it cost half of what a commercial dive trip would cost and is twice as safe they get 9 dives in within the seven days at 8 different locations...i did it as a scout and fell in love with the sport...

CaptainRon
11-25-2007, 20:55
Sea Base is a great place to let kids find out wether or not they like the sport of SCUBA diving...they are relax and dont push the kids...i personally recommend it to anyone who wants to find out if they will enjoy diving...it cost half of what a commercial dive trip would cost and is twice as safe they get 9 dives in within the seven days at 8 different locations...i did it as a scout and fell in love with the sport...

I believe the Seabase SCUBA program is designed to expose the scouts to what SCUBA diving is all about and how much fun it can be. As a scout leader for the last 13 years, I learned the entire scouting program is geared to just exposing the scouts to a variety of hobbies and occupations. If they like it, they are encouraged to continue learning.