PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Dive Watches...

Tableleg
11-20-2007, 11:23
So I was reading a sad yet amusing (http://tr.subscribermail.com/cc.cfm?sendto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etelegraph%2Eco%2E uk%2Fnews%2Fmain%2Ejhtml%3Fxml%3D%2Fnews%2F2007%2F 11%2F17%2Fwfat117%2Exml&tempid=afadf8188ba840b8bae9f53c33025f7a&mailid=90ba2cac380e4b338dea9e100c75da22) article when an add flashed a scuba diver and perked my interest. It ended up being an add for a dive watch (I was too lazy to figure out how to rip the gif animation out of the add, so I took some screen shots and paintshop'ed them together, show below). Curiosity got the best of me, so I googled the name to find out more info. Yea, $2900.00 (http://www.thetimezone.com/Oris/67475997154MB.html) dollars later you could own the watch that would "make your pulse race in 1000m (~3280ft)!!" :smiley29:

Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/2004/06/21/cx_ns_0621feat.html) did a dive watch write up as to 'which was the best' and, no suprise, the one on top is priced around $3500~$4500!!! :smiley5:

Ya know, for the price of these TIME PIECES!!! (I lost interest after the first few to see if they even had any useful features [they didn't] that one could justify the price) you could buy a really nice equpment setup and book a great dive trip. Why does it seem as if people with money are stupid? Or if it's not stupidity, then what is it?

Puffer Fish
11-20-2007, 11:43
Don't think that is the issue at all... if you like mechanical things, then a complex swiss, manual one is nice (no battery). A good watch should have:

1. A sapphire crystal.

2. A screw on back.

3. A screw down stem.

4. A high grade swiss movement...

5. A well made case and band.

These start at around $1,000 and go up, depending on the company and a lot of other details. A rolex is part of the above, and part paying for the name. Ok, mostly paying for the name.

Keep in mind, though, that these watches can be repaired for human lifetimes worth of service.

Is it worth it for a watch.... no... but they are alot cheaper than a Lexus or BMW.

Does anyone "need" a heads up display in a mask? Think that falls under the same issue.

BuzzF117
11-20-2007, 11:56
Um, I have a fake CHinese Rolex that works wonderful and it doesn't leak at 100 ft only cost me $50 I also have a fake Tag Hauer but I wouldn't take it out in a lite drizzle cause its not made as well.

buzz out

Tableleg
11-20-2007, 16:50
Is it worth it for a watch.... no... but they are alot cheaper than a Lexus or BMW.

Does anyone "need" a heads up display in a mask? Think that falls under the same issue. Ok, I can see paying lots of money for something you appreciate. There have been a few paintings I've bought that people have been surprised when I told them the price. But here, I'm more looking at the functionality of it. Those are watches. They tell time. Like Buzz was saying, I could go out and get a chinese $20 watch that could the same thing.

Now, I did pay $350 for a Citizen watch because it gave me both a smp and a time in/out log for four previous dives. The added cost to that (granted, beautiful and worked VERY well) time piece was worth it because of the functionality. I'm kinda on the fence with the HUD. On one hand, it does make checking your status much more convenient and it is a dive computer. But is that convenient worth the extra money vs. a console or wrist dive computer? Personal call.

With cars, the more you spend, generally the better customer service/comfort/engineering/safety/etc one gets. There's an extra value to that money spent.

I don't see the value in those watches. Perhaps I don't know enough about watches to appreciate them. Though now that I think about it, that Oris was rated at 1000m, my Citizen was only rated for 300m I suppose there's the value. :smiley36:

Good points though. Good points.

tc_rain
11-20-2007, 17:11
Why would anyone spend that kind of money on a SCUBA watch? Are they really planning to wear it underwater? My wrist computer gets scratched up on occasions but I have a lens protector for it and I definitely didn’t pay that much for it.

IrishSquid
11-20-2007, 17:58
Don't think that is the issue at all... A good watch should have:

1. A sapphire crystal.

2. A screw on back.

3. A screw down stem.

4. A high grade swiss movement...

5. A well made case and band.

These start at around $1,000 and go up, depending on the company and a lot of other details. A rolex is part of the above, and part paying for the name. Ok, mostly paying for the name.

Keep in mind, though, that these watches can be repaired for human lifetimes worth of service.

Does anyone "need" a heads up display in a mask? Think that falls under the same issue.

There are a few watches out there that meet the above mentioned criteria that are under 1/2 that price. Maybe the sapphire crystal being the exception, but glass works. I know a few people with a Rolex and they pay $200-$300 for the annual service on it. My Seiko cost about the service price they pay and keeps just as good time. If it lasts as long as my first Seiko dive watch, which is still running by the way (purchased in 1982 for $125), it'll outlast me and I'll pass it on to someone.
A Lexus or BMW also keep time for a lot more money, but they get you from point A to B to Z; whereas the watch only keeps time.:smiley2:
I think you are definitely on target when you say you pay for the name. The engineering may be something appreciated by the right people but the end functionality probably isn't worth the extra $$$$$$$$
If I had that kinda money I'd buy the HUD mask, along with 2 computers.
That ought to be good time keeping redundancy.:smiley20:

Puffer Fish
11-20-2007, 18:11
Why would anyone spend that kind of money on a SCUBA watch? Are they really planning to wear it underwater? My wrist computer gets scratched up on occasions but I have a lens protector for it and I definitely didnít pay that much for it.
Ok, here are some of my favorite watches.. many don't cost over a thousand:

TimeZone: Industry News: N E W M o d e l - Engineer Master II Diver TMT (http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=2704596&rid=0)

Glows due to radiation, not light.. got to love that.

Another glow under any conditions watch.. but has battery, and is really water proof:

MTM Xtreme Ops Black Seals Military Divers Watches-The First Waterproof Rated Diver-Used By Navy Seal Units Worldwide (http://www.specialopswatch.com/cart/products.cgi?detail=34&gclid=CPvc69vYvo0CFR4ZgQodxWe-Fw)

This one is a great deal on a watch with all the stuff, at an almost reasonable price:

Amazon.com: Accutron Men's VX-200 Automatic Chronograph Watch #28C03: Jewelry & Watches: All American Watches (http://www.amazon.com/Accutron-VX-200-Automatic-Chronograph-28C03/dp/B000H27VXK/ref=sr_1_64/002-5636749-3548839?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry&qid=1190771024&sr=1-64)

And to show that a watch does not have to be that expensive.. I like this one a lot:

Citizen Promaster Aquamount Titanium JP3050-55W [JP3050-55W] - US$420.00 : Low Price Genuine Watches. Casio, Citizen, Hamilton, DKNY, Emporio Armani, SuperChrono (http://www.superchrono.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=32&products_id=853)

tc_rain
11-20-2007, 18:33
I must admit, I like the black seal watch but this is more in my income bracket.

Amazon.com: Seiko Men's Automatic Dive Watch #SKXA35: Jewelry & Watches: Seiko (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00068TJ44/interactiveda8011-20)

Tableleg
11-20-2007, 20:37
Why would anyone spend that kind of money on a SCUBA watch? Are they really planning to wear it underwater? My wrist computer gets scratched up on occasions but I have a lens protector for it and I definitely didn’t pay that much for it. That's exactly what I thought when I was looking at that add. People who spend that kinda dough on a watch usually get their jollies from watch the the stock market ticker, not actually doing anything. :smiley36:

Though I just can't imagine what it's like to be watching the ticker AND wearing that watch! :smilie39:

Puffer, I really like that SEAL watch. I'm sure there are others out there, but this is the first watch I've seen the tritium in. And the Master Diver II is a cool watch. I like the thermometer and it's accuacy! I wonder what the "micro gas tubes" are and why they glow.

Puffer Fish
11-20-2007, 21:03
Why would anyone spend that kind of money on a SCUBA watch? Are they really planning to wear it underwater? My wrist computer gets scratched up on occasions but I have a lens protector for it and I definitely didnít pay that much for it. That's exactly what I thought when I was looking at that add. People who spend that kinda dough on a watch usually get their jollies from watch the the stock market ticker, not actually doing anything. :smiley36:

Though I just can't imagine what it's like to be watching the ticker AND wearing that watch! :smilie39:

Puffer, I really like that SEAL watch. I'm sure there are others out there, but this is the first watch I've seen the tritium in. And the Master Diver II is a cool watch. I like the thermometer and it's accuacy! I wonder what the "micro gas tubes" are and why they glow.
That, strange as it may seem, is a radioactive gas in the tubes..they are self powered.

Ball watch company also uses them, and here is their statement from the NRC....

Ball Watch USA, US Distributors of Ball Official Standard Luxury Watches (http://www.ballwatchusa.com/NRC.htm)

They glow very brightly, by the way..neat technology.. the Seal watch is the only one I have seen under several thousand dollars..

CompuDude
11-20-2007, 22:02
Why would anyone spend that kind of money on a SCUBA watch? Are they really planning to wear it underwater? My wrist computer gets scratched up on occasions but I have a lens protector for it and I definitely didn’t pay that much for it. That's exactly what I thought when I was looking at that add. People who spend that kinda dough on a watch usually get their jollies from watch the the stock market ticker, not actually doing anything. :smiley36:

Low level radiation. Tritium gas tubes, to be exact... same as they use in the military's self-luminated lensatic compasses (http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_compass_lensatic.php). Very nice compass to own, esp. if you're navigating at night. I always wonder if I'm going to end up with hip cancer when I use it, though. :smiley36:

For the people who buy those $5k+ watches, it's either a status thing, a weird watch obsession, or they genuinely have so much money they don't care about the cost, or what else they could do with the money.

kyfriedchipper
11-20-2007, 23:22
Here's my choice : Product Detail (http://www.watchesplanet.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/SID=18fbc1c5c84a/item_detail=HBLK-SB/bpn=WP3/brand=BELLROSS/page=product_detail_WP3.htm)

The Bell & Ross Hydromax - pressure rated to 1,100 BAR or 11,000 meters or roughly 6.8 miles!!! Talk about overkill. And modestly priced at a mere $2,800...

tc_rain
11-20-2007, 23:57
Here's my choice : Product Detail (http://www.watchesplanet.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/SID=18fbc1c5c84a/item_detail=HBLK-SB/bpn=WP3/brand=BELLROSS/page=product_detail_WP3.htm)

The Bell & Ross Hydromax - pressure rated to 1,100 BAR or 11,000 meters or roughly 6.8 miles!!! Talk about overkill. And modestly priced at a mere $2,800...

"modestly priced at a mere $2,800..", I guess I need to look for a new job.

Tableleg
11-21-2007, 08:18
Tritium gas tubesYea, this is one of those Homer "D'oh!" things. I've known about tritium for a while now, but I always thought it was a solid. Never did the research to discover it's actually a gas. :smiley2:

I guess I need to look for a new job. Or figure out how to sell organs on the black market That's what I'm doing. :smiley36:

Puffer Fish
11-21-2007, 09:04

"modestly priced at a mere $2,800..", I guess I need to look for a new job.
You can get that feature for a lot less...

Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (http://http://www.amazon.com/TechnoMarine-Abyss-10-900-watch-ABS19/dp/B000H6JAG2/ref=sr_1_83?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry&qid=1195942289&sr=1-83)

Ok, it is only 10,900, but I am betting you will hardly notice the difference... hardly at all.

Note: To get to 11,000 meters, you would have to dig a hole in the deepest part of the ocean.. as that is actually deeper than the deepest part.

Marcin2005
11-23-2007, 11:15
Recently I got a new catalog from Hammacher Schlemmer and it had this interesting diver watch:

The Uncrushable 3,000-Foot Depth Watch. at Hammacher Schlemmer (http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74586.asp?promo=ap_watches#)

I can still get quite a few timex watches for $299 or a new dive computer, but at least this one is more reasonable than those $2,000+ Swiss time pieces.

Daved
11-24-2007, 11:44
I don't get the need for a dive watch. My computer offers all I need. For redundancy I have a second computer--I know that is silly--but it came with a set of regs. Why would one need a dive watch?

CompuDude
11-24-2007, 12:53
I don't get the need for a dive watch. My computer offers all I need. For redundancy I have a second computer--I know that is silly--but it came with a set of regs. Why would one need a dive watch?

With a second computer, I'd agree that it's pretty unnecessary. Unless you want to know the time. Not all computers show the actual time.

If you DON'T have a second computer, however, it offers the redundancy (that you have now) in another, often cheaper, way. (Certainly not cheaper in the case of these absurdly expensive ones, but a good waterproof watch can be had for under $100.)

Daved
11-24-2007, 15:47
Thanks Compudude--I thought I was missing something.

Marcus
11-27-2007, 23:56
Here you go. Under 100$. Works great, I even have an automatic. Comes in about 20 different styles and colors. Everybody thinks it is a Rolex.

I actually have a Rolex Date Just, and would happily sell it if I could for the Ball Diver watch at half the price.

Marcin2005
11-28-2007, 11:57
Mrcus where is it? Can't see it

Marcus
11-29-2007, 11:44

Sorry... Let me try again.

Invicta Jewelry & Watch Reviews - 8926 Pro Diver Mens Stainless Steel Watch - 8926 (http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/watches/m/990666/)

Puffer Fish
11-29-2007, 12:36

Sorry... Let me try again.

Invicta Jewelry & Watch Reviews - 8926 Pro Diver Mens Stainless Steel Watch - 8926 (http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/watches/m/990666/)

I have that watch.. only issue is that the bezel has pits in it from using as a dive watch in salt water... still works great. The ones (different numbers) with a metal bezel don't have that issue and cost the same...

Roughwater
11-30-2007, 02:17
In my opinion, a good watch - if it has a rotary bezel plate - will have a logarithmic one that's actually useful (for calculations) as opposed to the useless 1 to 12 'hour hands' that can rotate.

Never understood why watch makers are so reved up about a useless bezel with a 1 to 12 'clock' faceplate that rotates. :/

CompuDude
11-30-2007, 11:19
In my opinion, a good watch - if it has a rotary bezel plate - will have a logarithmic one that's actually useful (for calculations) as opposed to the useless 1 to 12 'hour hands' that can rotate.

Never understood why watch makers are so reved up about a useless bezel with a 1 to 12 'clock' faceplate that rotates. :/

How do you mean logarithmic? Do you mean simply minutes, 0-60? I use that like a backup timing device, I agree the ones with the hours are useless.

Roughwater
11-30-2007, 16:00
How do you mean logarithmic? Do you mean simply minutes, 0-60? I use that like a backup timing device, I agree the ones with the hours are useless.

No, the watch I currently have is below, which has a logarithmic (sp?) bezel.

It is used like a rotary slide ruler, and can be used for a number of things including:

Multiplication / Division / Squares / Powers, (and the list goes on)

I use it when flying to calculate planned fuel usage, ground speed calculations and estimated time to arrival.

I also use it when diving to calculate different calculations such as PPo2 levels.

A bonus is that it comes on a watch that I use to calculate when I'm going to go and get lunch. :D

Seriously though, I've just never understood a rotary 1 to 12. I mean, why have the option to turn it around/rotate it? It's only going to tell the incorrect time if the 12 isn't at the top. :smiley13: Not handy for much else.

These rotating logarithmic bezels can be quite handy on the other hand.

http://www.skywatches.com.sg/watches/images/JN0040-58L.jpg

Steve Scuba
11-30-2007, 16:21
Now that's a cool looking watch. I get the feeling I would run out of air before I figured out how to use something like that.

CompuDude
11-30-2007, 18:35
Now that's a cool looking watch. I get the feeling I would run out of air before I figured out how to use something like that.

Agreed.

I'm partial to the Breitlings, myself, but the only thing I use a watch for underwater is keeping track of time. Anything more extensive, I have wetnotes. Anything more extensive than that, and it's time to go home. :smiley11:

bjoseph
12-06-2007, 06:42
Has anyone seen the watch on page 26 of the December 2007 issue of Scuba Diving magazine? There is an ad for a dive watch made out of actual metal from a piece of the Titanic's hull! They made just over 2,000 of these "Titanic-DNA" watches and the price range is listed as... wait for it.....

$7,800 to $173,100

Now that is an expensive watch!

BTW, If I could figure out a way to make a pile of cash by watching the stock ticker I would do it... That would allow for a lot more free time to dive, bike, fly, etc...

nathanbarlow
12-07-2007, 06:02
the $7,800 version will probably be made from the crap rusty parts of the metal they salvaged :bonk::smilie39:

Mtrewyn
12-07-2007, 09:29
I still don't see the need to spend all that money on a watch, When Casio, Timex, and others make very, tough watches the "shock proof" watches are what I saw most of the SEALs using not the ones that they say are "special forces" watches in the catalogs.

To be fair I did see a one or two but mostly the "shock" watches, their are accurate, tough, light, easy to hide, and most of all less than $100 so even if you have to replace it every year of so you still come out in front.

we could ask "navyhmc" what he used.

indatexas
12-11-2007, 03:35
Be ironic that the band would break during a dive, thousands resting on the ocean floor somewhere.

PsychDiver
12-11-2007, 04:58
The Navy Seal watch thing is a joke. The Navy doesn't issue dive watches and Seals are poor government workers on military pay so they can't afford those watches. However, there is the macho factor that may get a few Seals (from wealthy families), their parents or friends attention long enough to buy one. Me - I have nothing to prove - give me a Timex or Casio. I am probably going to loose it in the next two years anyway.

adv_diver1
12-11-2007, 05:39
I have a fancy dive watch.... but I don't EVER wear it diving. I take the good old trusty Casio Ironman (updated version) with indiglo.

My fancy dive watch is not for diving! LOL!!!

adv_diver1
12-11-2007, 05:41
Also, why in the heck would you go diving with a $5000 dollar watch on?? Leave it at home... and wear it when you drive the convertible fancy car around town on a hot sunny day while wearing some boat shoes and listening to cheesy music! :-)

CompuDude
12-11-2007, 13:36
The Navy Seal watch thing is a joke. The Navy doesn't issue dive watches and Seals are poor government workers on military pay so they can't afford those watches. However, there is the macho factor that may get a few Seals (from wealthy families), their parents or friends attention long enough to buy one. Me - I have nothing to prove - give me a Timex or Casio. I am probably going to loose it in the next two years anyway.

Most Seals I know just use a G-Shock or a simple waterproof analog watch that costs no more than $300.

G-Shocks are what's mounted on the tac boards used for UW navigation.

Roughwater
12-12-2007, 00:25
I don't get the idea of having a dive watch 'at home'. I mean - the reason I buy and wear my watch is so I can tell the time. It's no good to me sitting at home. ;)

IMO, buying a $5,000 watch is a waste of money to start with - but it's more of a waste to buy it, and then not wear it. :D

As for losing it, etc - well - I'm fortuante enough to have insurance that covers all that. (Although mines not worth $5K either)

Judge
12-13-2007, 11:21
I must admit, I like the black seal watch but this is more in my income bracket.

No Kidding....I don't have much more invested in my Wilson Combat AR-15 Sniper rifle....and I thought it hurt to cut that check.

teog
12-13-2007, 14:04
I have a Casio G-shock that I have used for work and diving. It has been in multiple burning structures and down to 110 ft while diving. It does all this and cost me 85 bucks at walmart.:smiley20: