PDA

View Full Version : Brand Pronuciation

moosicman
11-20-2007, 12:57
Got a question. i like to feel "hip" and like i know what i'm talking about when discussing scuba stuff with folks and i need something cleared up...

the correct pronuciation for these brands:

Mares....is it mares pronounced like "shares" or mares w/ 2 syllables like Mae west (but Mae Res)...i've heard BOTH and i say it now like shares, BUT i may be an idot wrapped in a moron.....

Next

Tusa...pronounced like Tusk with an A or TOOSA

Uzzi...OO-Z or Uzzi like fuzzy

Areis like errors with an i and no r (erris/air-es) or like Air-E-is or even R-is

Any other strange ones you want to clarify that i haven't though of would be GREAT

Kabniel
11-20-2007, 13:20
i always thought mares was pronounced mar-ess (mar as in bar, ess as in best)

Tusa : too-sa

can't speak for the other brands as i'm not too familiar with them on this side of the pond :smiley2:

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-20-2007, 13:22
I wonder if you'd like to know the correct pronunciation or the one in common use.

If you pronounce based on the country/language of origin you'll probably get them correct, but since most people in the US pronounce them wrong they'll look at you funny or think you are pretentious if you say them correctly.

I know, not a lot of help. I pronounce Mares using 2 syllables.

ScubaToys Larry
11-20-2007, 13:42
Ok.. Mares is Mar (like to mar the top of a counter top) ease

Now when talking to the italians, they roll the R Marrrrr ease..

Tusa (which is Tabata USA) is Two sa (like da what?)

Aeris is Air es (like the heiress to the fortune)

Uzzi like the gun... (Quote from Arnold... Uzzi 9 millimeter )but doesn't matter since they are out of business.

Got it?

kyfriedchipper
11-20-2007, 16:04
Thank yu Laree
Now I can look like one of the educated ones!

peteg
11-20-2007, 16:18
Uzi isn't out of business. Although the "Uzi" design was made by several manufacturers, Israel Military Industries (IMI) was the original manufacturer. IMI is very much still in business.

ScubaToys Larry
11-20-2007, 16:22
I dunno... I know we used to carry some stuff from Uzzi, bathing suits, misc clothing items... and the number is disconnected.

And their website used to be UZZI Sportswear, Board Shorts, Dive Apparel & Swimwear (http://uzzi.com/) but try it now, and it's just covered up with google ads.

maybe it's the additional Z - maybe we're talking two different companies.

diversteve
11-20-2007, 16:22
Uzi isn't out of business. Although the "Uzi" design was made by several manufacturers, Israel Military Industries (IMI) was the original manufacturer. IMI is very much still in business.
Think they're referring to this one:
UZZI Sportswear, Board Shorts, Dive Apparel & Swimwear (http://www.uzzi-europe.com/)

UZZI Amphibious Gear is your "divewear" line offering a full range of "outdoor" and "beachwear" items dedicated to all divers throughout the world.

quasimoto
11-20-2007, 19:24
I thought that the rep from Mares on SB said that it was pronounced more like Mar-ez?

jakeeib
11-21-2007, 09:48
How about UWTEC?

peteg
11-21-2007, 09:58
Haha, I am a dummy. :smilie39:

I dunno... I know we used to carry some stuff from Uzzi, bathing suits, misc clothing items... and the number is disconnected.

And their website used to be UZZI Sportswear, Board Shorts, Dive Apparel & Swimwear (http://uzzi.com/) but try it now, and it's just covered up with google ads.

maybe it's the additional Z - maybe we're talking two different companies.

thor
11-21-2007, 10:59
Ok.. Mares is Mar (like to mar the top of a counter top) ease

Now when talking to the italians, they roll the R Marrrrr ease..

Tusa (which is Tabata USA) is Two sa (like da what?)

Aeris is Air es (like the heiress to the fortune)

Uzzi like the gun... (Quote from Arnold... Uzzi 9 millimeter )but doesn't matter since they are out of business.

Got it?

The correct pronunciation, since it is an Italian company, is Ma'-rez, with a roll of the "r" . Mare ("Ma-ray") in Italian means "Sea." I can safely say that I have never heard any LDS or rep pronounce it like this. Usually I hear people say Mare-is

dallasdivergirl
11-21-2007, 11:09
How about UWTEC?

Ewww (like uck!) a (soft a) tech (like technical)

CaribbeanDiver
11-21-2007, 13:48
wow, you people have too much time on your hands. do you honestly think about this stuff or are you just trying to get your post total up? I mean, if I have the money, the dealers let me call it anything I want. and if I own it, by golly, I sure can call it anything I want.
and regardless of brand names, just usually call it gear, equipment or my dive stuff.

ScubaToys Larry
11-21-2007, 13:56
I noticed when I wanted one... it was a porsche (porsh...) but after I bought one, it was a Porsh-a.

Just one of those fun things!

BSea
11-21-2007, 14:00
I noticed when I wanted one... it was a porsche (porsh...) but after I bought one, it was a Porsh-a.

Just one of those fun things!
I noticed the same thing. Before I bought my car it was a Ford. Now it's a POS.

quasimoto
11-21-2007, 19:31
I noticed the same thing. Before I bought my car it was a Ford. Now it's a POS.
:smilie39::smilie39: I was thinking more in the lines of BMW and Beamer (what ever way you spell it).