PDA

View Full Version : Mares M2 Nitrox / Air Dive Computer

picxie
07-21-2007, 21:03
I've just had a good read through this thread ...
http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111

and after doing a bit of other internet research I though this would be a good beginners computer for me.

However then I saw this one ...

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresM2
and I quite like the look of this one too.</DIV>
They both seem to offer the features I want, although I'm not sure if the Mares does depth in metric?? I know the Oceanic does.
Does anyone have any opinions on the Mares? Personal experiences on either??

thesmoothdome
07-21-2007, 21:10
I have no idea about the metric, but the AAA batteries worry me a bit. I'm sure the ST guys can answer this, but how many hours of battery life do you get from them? Can you change them out in the middle of a day (or more) of diving without losing the nitrogen loading info?

Judestudio
07-22-2007, 07:14
They both seem to offer the features I want, although I'm not sure if the Mares does depth in metric?? I know the Oceanic does.
Yup, the Mares M2 has user changeable metric / imperial settings.

http://www.mares.com/download.php?id=1519

Go to page 7 --&gt; You can use bar/psi, *C/*F, m/ft

Hope this helps.

picxie
07-23-2007, 03:20
Oh that's brilliant, thanks http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

Still not sure on which one to get, as they both seem to do the same thing.

I thinkI read somewhere that the Oceanic can be a bit of a pain with just one button (whereas the Mares has 2). But other than that they seem to do the same thing.

Decisions, decisions!

cgvmer
08-01-2007, 10:38
Reading on the Mares site, the M2 appears to save your info across battery changes:" Along with a few other manufacturers, MARES provides the functionality of user-replaceable standard batteries for its dive computers. By doing so, we make it possible for users to replace dead or weak batteries whenever and wherever needed. Standard batteries can be found almost anywhere around the world. You never need to abort a dive with a MARES computer because of a dead battery, and all your information is stored safely. "

James
09-18-2007, 15:38
My brother has the Veo 180 and I just ordered the Mares M2 today.
I am taking my cert. class in a week and after that will more than likely trade computers with my brother from time to time just to check things out.
I will try to get a comparison as soon as possible for everybody. May be a bit late for you pixci, but hopefully will be helpful in the future.

wxboy911
09-18-2007, 18:57
Please let us know how the M2 does-I was looking into getting one of those next season-I like the numerous features as well as AAA batteries. The look much easier to change the some of the other comps.

torrey
09-18-2007, 22:07
I just got the M2, but it's my first computer so I can't really compare it to anything. I've only been learning it during my lunch hour and haven't gotten it in the water yet. The batteries are really easy to change, and the battery compartment is sealed from the rest of the unit, so if the battery compartment floods, it won't affect the rest of the computer. Per the manual, the batteries will last about 50 dives with occasional backlight use, or about 10 dives with constant backlight use. It appears to default to metric measurements (temp & depth), and I just switched those today, along with playing with the simulator a little. Looks like it's going to be a great computer.

By the way, it also came with a set of batteries, so you're ready to go right out of the box.

James
09-18-2007, 22:13
Sounds good. I cannot wait to get mine.
A six pack of batteries will definately be in my dry box.

What does "simulator" mode do?

Has anybody tried the computer interface yet?

torrey
09-19-2007, 12:09
I would guess simulator mode was created primarily for 2 purposes:
1) to test a dive with known perimeters (depth, time, etc.) to be sure that you will not make any violations, and
2) to actually push the limits and see what the violations look like on the computer so you know how to deal with them before you get into that situation in reality.

Basically, in simulator mode, it treats you as having just entered the water except it runs 5x faster (12 sec sim = 1 min real time). You use the buttons to drop to your desired depth and control your ascents/descents and how fast you do each. You can play around with exceeding your deco limits, ascending too fast, missing safety stop, etc.

unclepooty
09-19-2007, 12:32
Please no more talk. I got the M2 on Sat. but had to agree not to open 'till Christmas. You guys are killing me! :smiley19:

Defman
09-20-2007, 10:43
I have no idea about the metric, but the AAA batteries worry me a bit. I'm sure the ST guys can answer this, but how many hours of battery life do you get from them? Can you change them out in the middle of a day (or more) of diving without losing the nitrogen loading info?

I had the Surveyor Nitrox (older version of the M2 basically) and can speak with some experience. As already mentioned, the M2 will do Metric or Imperial.

The battery life is just fine and had no problems keeping up with a week long trip of 4+ dives a day. Typically, just for the safety of it, I always put a new battery in before a dive trip so battery life was never an issue. Cheap insurance! I don't recall 100% off of the top of my head, but I think it does retain data during a battery swap. It would make sense to design any computer with user changeable batteries to do that, but it doesn't mean they did.

coralcrazed
09-20-2007, 11:24
I like and reccomendthe oceanic geo or the atom 2 depending if you want it to read your air too or not. great wrist computer and looks like a wrist watch.

marchand
09-20-2007, 11:33
I have a Dacor Darwin, Basically the same thing as a Mares M2. the only difference is it looks slightly different and it says Dacor on it.

Yes it does retain data during a battery swap. I had thirty something dives on it when I switched the batteries and it still has all of them in its log. You can even replay your past dives using this thing.

Personally, I think that this is an awesome computer and would recommend it to anyone.

James
09-20-2007, 13:57
Is it worth $100 to get the computer connection for the M2? Does the computer cable come with the software?

jbres1
09-20-2007, 22:12
I have been diving the Mares for about 1 year now and like it very much.
The only down side I have seen so far is that its a more conservative on the NDL vs. some of my dive buddies computers.
I can live with a conservative computer, I may even live longer because of it.
Jim Breslin

vsugihjoso
11-05-2007, 17:26
I was wondering if M2 has built-in compass. If not I assume I should get SPG with compass.

Puffer Fish
11-05-2007, 19:30
I was wondering if M2 has built-in compass. If not I assume I should get SPG with compass.
That would be No...

vsugihjoso
11-05-2007, 22:45
Thanks Puffer Fish

rfreddo
11-06-2007, 09:19
Battery change caution in the M2 users manual:" Do not replace battery within the 10 minutes immediately following a dive. Replacing the battery too soon after the dive will result in loss of the data for that dive. In any case, remember that replacing the battery causes the residual nitrogen, desaturation time and no-fly time data to be lost. It is therefore advisable to make a note of this information before replacing the battery. Do not replace the battery between repetitive dives."

From personal experience, I think I recall that time and date info is also lost when changing the battery. Like Defman said, pre-trip battery change is probably the best way to go.

James
11-07-2007, 00:09
From personal experience, I think I recall that time and date info is also lost when changing the battery. Like Defman said, pre-trip battery change is probably the best way to go.

Yes, it does reset the date and time. Data stays though.

Anybody have the data cable? Is it worth getting or just another $100.00 toy?

moosicman
11-11-2007, 07:59
I am wondering about that data cable too....someone please chime in and let us know!:)