PDA

View Full Version : Broken Bow, OK

TRACI
11-20-2007, 19:56
So how is the diving at Broken Bow? The only lake diving I have done is at Lake Ouachita, Ark, so I am curious how does Broken Bow compare?

Kunk35
11-20-2007, 21:15
I've only been to Broken Bow once, but the viz was pretty good, say, 15 to 20 feet. The area is beautiful. We stayed in a really nice cabin for 140 bucks, but there is plenty of tent/rv camping as well. I've never been to Lake Ouachita, so I can't comment on how it compares.

http://www.brokenbowscuba.com/

Scuba with Frank & Laura (http://www.frankpoye.com/BrokenBow/)

Check out these sites. Timeliner owns the second site. As you can see, it's one of his favorite dive sites. He did a really nice job detailing his info about that lake.

Happy Diving!

dutchman
11-20-2007, 22:30
So how is the diving at Broken Bow? The only lake diving I have done is at Lake Ouachita, Ark, so I am curious how does Broken Bow compare?

Don't know about Broken Bow but hear Lake Ouachita is so clear it is like diving in the Caribbean. What was your experience like? :smiley36:

Soonerwink
11-20-2007, 22:44
Where is Lake Ouachita located? I have dove Beaver and Bull Shoals in Ark.

TRACI
11-21-2007, 08:04
Lake Ouachita is just a few miles outside of Hot Springs, vis is about 15-20 ft , but really cold when you hit the thermocline, but I have been told when you get to about 60 ft the vis is wonderful.

Soonerwink
11-21-2007, 17:15
That sounds like a place I may have to check out next season. I think my wife a ND (non-diver) would enjoy a trip there. She is boycotting Eureka Springs.

Lake Diver
11-22-2007, 16:22
Broken Bow is the best kept diving secret in Oklahoma! Check out our vid from this summer...water is nice n clear!

http://www.lakediver.com/videos/brokenbow.wmv

texdiveguy
11-22-2007, 16:29
I have dove both lakes several times....they are both sweet. At BB you have a good amount of shore entry points...were Q is more a pontoon//boat lake with the dam being one of the few shore entry locations. The general vis and water conditions are better more of the year at Q but BB is still a super lake to dive.

Soonerwink
11-22-2007, 21:10
Broken Bow is the best kept diving secret in Oklahoma! Check out our vid from this summer...water is nice n clear!

http://www.lakediver.com/videos/brokenbow.wmv
Very nice video Lake Diver. Was this a night dive or just a very overcast day?

Lake Diver
11-26-2007, 22:41
It was overcast a little if I remember...almost got rained on!

Soonerwink
11-26-2007, 22:45
Where is the best place to access some good shore diving at BB? I am partial to bluff or wall diving.

Lake Diver
11-27-2007, 16:05
We drove down towards the dam and there is nice shore diving all around, pick your spot between the dam and the spillway!

dutchman
11-27-2007, 16:32
OK, sounds like a road trip. From Dallas we go North on 259 to Broken Bow. This is about 182 miles. Just 40 more than Blue Lagoon in Huntsville, TX.

TRACI
11-27-2007, 16:37
I would love to try Broken Bow, but will have to be in the summer, I have been in that lake. swimming only, in July and Aug, and it was still very cold to me.

texdiveguy
11-27-2007, 16:38
OK, sounds like a road trip. From Dallas we go North on 259 to Broken Bow. This is about 182 miles. Just 40 more than Blue Lagoon in Huntsville, TX.

If you ever head this way give a shout and maybe we can hook-up....BB is really a nice dive lake ands just a pretty place to visit.

Lake Diver
11-27-2007, 18:17
Tex, Don't you and Frank have a 160 ft dive story in Broken Bow?

texdiveguy
11-27-2007, 20:01

Yep....one winters day we did a sweet dip off the shore line area of what we refer to as the 'goat trail' to a really sweet area of rocks/ledges and wicked trees, of course dark and chilly.

Actually there are several areas at this lake you can access great wall type dives and to some considerable depth if you wish as the lake bottoms out in the 170-180ffw range.

In the times I have dove BB I don't really remember an over abundance of fish though.

Also keep an eye peeled for a hidden Lake Diver Lic. Plate frame...I hear its recovery and return might just get you a sweet prize from the 3 amigo's over at LakeDiver.com!

Its worth noting that a few miles outside of the town of BB is the Broken Bow Scuba shop...great folks willing to do anything to make your diving fun.

Lake Diver
11-29-2007, 14:30
Its worth noting that a few miles outside of the town of BB is the Broken Bow Scuba shop...great folks willing to do anything to make your diving fun.

Yeah he's not afraid to give you a *FULL* air fill either! He rocks!

http://www.lakediver.com/map/oklahoma/images/sign2.jpg

navyhmc
11-29-2007, 16:12
How is the srping/summer visib at Broken Bow? Sounds like it's worth a road trip.

texdiveguy
11-29-2007, 16:56
How is the srping/summer visib at Broken Bow? Sounds like it's worth a road trip.

Without digging in my log book/which is not with me now....I can say the vis is pretty darn good for a lake in the summer. Course I should say also that its takes little vis to please me.. :)

Lake Diver
12-01-2007, 23:48
I'm sure going to hit Broken Bow next summer...take the kids and boat and a dive buddy