PDA

View Full Version : Mares MR 12 Abyss

jtkkym
11-20-2007, 22:05
I wonder why the NASA dive team requested this combo instead of the original Abyss ???

radelow
11-21-2007, 11:46
I asked Joe that very same question and his response was that NASA had set a price point and Mares couldn't do it with the more expensive 1st stage (MR22). So they combined it with the cheaper 1st stage (MR12) to get to the acceptable pricing. Plus I think the reliability and long term history of the MR12 was also part of the decision.

jtkkym
11-21-2007, 14:28
Thanks...I guess NASA has limited budget, too.

divingchef
11-21-2007, 18:43
I think NASA is into functionality and not necesarily "driving a mercedes". Pragmatic scientists and fly boays underwater!

Sidenoe: I just received my MR12 Abyss from Scuba Toys with a Mares Brigade octo and I really dig it. Full duty, Mares quality, and I still have money left over to book those two afternoon dives as well!

jtkkym
11-21-2007, 20:24
I think NASA is into functionality and not necesarily "driving a mercedes". Pragmatic scientists and fly boays underwater!

Sidenoe: I just received my MR12 Abyss from Scuba Toys with a Mares Brigade octo and I really dig it. Full duty, Mares quality, and I still have money left over to book those two afternoon dives as well!

Mares Brigade Octo? I've never heard so I checked on Mares website but I didn't see. What is it?

ScubaToys Larry
11-21-2007, 20:34
Mares Brigade Octo? I've never heard so I checked on Mares website but I didn't see. What is it?

Well, kind of a long story. There was the Dacor Viper octo... which I personally think is great. I think an octo should not have to be oriented right side up in an emergency, and if someone is on your left or right, taking your eyes off a panicked diver to mess with the orientation of a octo is a disaster waiting to happen... so I like the Dacor Viper octo.

Problem was, because the Dacor name took a bashing - since there were no parts for old dacor regs (more of the long story... Dacor was going out of business... dropping fast in the 90's and Mares bought them. Unfortunately, in a last ditch effort to raise cash, Dacor sold off all the dies to make their parts... basically for scrap parts - so by the time the transfer of assets happened, mares could not support the old dacor stuff since dacor had scrapped the molds).

So because of this, the uninformed diving public decided to just bash the Dacor name, not realizing that the "new dacor" had full support from Mares - one of the oldest and largest manufacturers in the business. So they stopped making anything with the Dacor name on it. Including the viper.

Well, I was so bummed out, I called them up and asked them to do another run of them just for me. But they did not want to do them under the same name, so I told them to call them Mares Brigade. Brigade is a trademarked name I own that I also have Zeagle produce custom BC's for me.. the Zeagle Brigade.

So Mares Brigade octo's came into my shop. Well, a bunch of other stores got all hacked off that I had them, and they could not get them - it was a custom run with my name. But because so many people wanted them, they brought them back out, and just like in my case - decided to move them to the Mares brand name and called them the MV.

Wheeew.... I told you it was long!

jtkkym
11-21-2007, 20:47
Hi Larry,

I kind of figured special setup for ST because of the name "Brigade". That's great that you broght it back. It is not listed on your web and I would like to know how much it is.

ScubaToys Larry
11-21-2007, 20:50
Hi Larry,

I kind of figured special setup for ST because of the name "Brigade". That's great that you broght it back. It is not listed on your web and I would like to know how much it is.

Yea... it's there. Just to not confuse folks.. we call it the Mares Brigade Viper... If you search for Brigade... you will see a few pages of products, and it's one of them. But here you go... here's a direct link to it: Mares Brigade Viper Octo, Octos, Dacor, Mares Brigade Viper Octo (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=viperocto)

jtkkym
11-21-2007, 20:55
Aha! Thanks.

divingchef
11-21-2007, 22:24
Mares Brigade Viper Octo, Octos, Dacor, Mares Brigade Viper Octo (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ViperOcto)

here´s the link to where you can take one off of larry´s stock list...

D

tomich
10-05-2008, 08:26
I did my IE in Cannes at what was the old Europe PADI training facility and the course director said during my equipment course the most reliable regulator configuration on the market today (even though normally it requires a custom configuration) was the MR12 with the Abyss. The description on here as the combo being ultra-reliable "bulletproof" is not just hyperbole.