PDA

View Full Version : Octo Differences

scootermcfly
11-21-2007, 07:37
Hey all,

I'm looking at getting my own equipment within the next couple of months and can't decide on which of these two Octos. So, does anyone here have a preference of one over the other and if so, why? (looking for functional or other differences, not really the price)

Zeagle ZX Octo, Octos, Zeagle, Zeagle ZX Octo (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Zeagle_ZX_Octo)

Zeagle Envoy Octo, Octos, Zeagle, Zeagle Envoy Octo (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=EnvoyOcto)

Thanks,
Scooter McFly

frankc420
11-21-2007, 08:40
The only difference I can see, physically, is the ZX octo has an adjustment knob visible in the photo. I'm sure there are subtle differences but I doubt they are that different internally.

ScubaToys Larry
11-21-2007, 08:43
The other difference is the ZX series has a heat exchanger in case you are going to be diving in sub 40 degree water.

mm2002
11-21-2007, 10:43
Why would you want an adjustable octo? Isn't that just something else to go wrong?

scootermcfly
11-21-2007, 11:16
Well, I'm not the type that's going to dive in sub-40 degree water, so I guess I don't need it for that.

The adjustable helps for free-flow problems (I think)

Scooter McFly

ScubaToys Larry
11-21-2007, 11:31
Well, I'm not the type that's going to dive in sub-40 degree water, so I guess I don't need it for that.

Scooter McFly

Correct... just the ability to de-tune it a bit without having to open it up. When someone is out of air... they are normally not all that picky!

Puffer Fish
11-21-2007, 11:35

Scooter McFly

Correct... just the ability to de-tune it a bit without having to open it up. When someone is out of air... they are normally not all that picky!
While I have never had to use someone else's octo, if I did, I like to think I would be critiqueing it, as well as passing judgement on the owner. And, in this same dream, there would be others around, with different octo's that I would switch to, just to get one that breaths easier.

rfreddo
11-21-2007, 13:35

Scooter McFly

While I have never had to use someone else's octo, if I did, I like to think I would be critiqueing it, as well as passing judgement on the owner. And, in this same dream, there would be others around, with different octo's that I would switch to, just to get one that breaths easier.

I'm looking forward to the OOA guy/gal who approaches me and declines my primary when I switch to my Air 2. :smiley36:

wxboy911
11-21-2007, 14:02
It looks like the ZX Octo went up in price...

Zeagle ZX Octo, Octos, Zeagle, Zeagle ZX Octo (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Zeagle_ZX_Octo)

That tends to make a difference as well.

DarkCoffee
11-22-2007, 12:33
Not meaning to suggest that these are not good choices, I did opt for a omni-directional octo (the APEKS Egress in my case) There is no 'upside down' on this type so there is less chance of 'confusion' by the OOA diver.