PDA

View Full Version : Skiatook

dmdoss
07-21-2007, 22:37
Well i hear Skiatook lake has zebra mussles in it. They sure do cover everything but maybe they will clear it up enough to make it worth diving.

fire diver
07-22-2007, 18:35
I found zebras in Kaw lake last year. It's only a matter of time. Hopefully they will make lakes like Tenkiller beautiful to dive again.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 20:49
I hear they cleaned up lake michigan pretty good

cummings66
07-23-2007, 20:55
Yup, fish are leaving for dirtier waters. There's good and bad when Zebra's come to town, mostly bad.

Jethroish
08-20-2007, 07:51
A few of the schools in Tulsa used to dive Skiatook years ago. Wife and I tried it 2 years ago. It seems like a pretty clean lake from the top side. Maybe it will clear up.

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 08:25
I know how they got to lake michigan, but how do they get to these other landlocked lakes?

cummings66
08-20-2007, 18:58
Boats. That's why the signs tell you to dump those holding tanks out and clean the hulls. It's possible somebody might purposely transfer them as well.

Jaymeany
08-20-2007, 19:14
There is a species of goby that comes along sometimes but the zebra mussels have an exponential growth pattern (read lots of babies with no real predator or competition) Kind of like kudzu (http://www.invasive.org/browse/subimages.cfm?sub=2425) in the Carolinas. or the bullfrog on the Simpsons :smiley36:. The gobys eat the mussels but don't reproduce quick enough to eat all the mussels. So once the goby population increases we may have even more issues.

beperkins
10-17-2008, 10:37
The zebra mussels are not taking over the part of the world where they came from, so they have a natural predator there that we could introduce here? Of course this sounds exactly like that episode of the simpsons, we introduce something far worse that proliferates and then we have to deal with that.

shawnwill36
10-30-2008, 10:36
someone needs to open up a dive park here in oklahoma. they could make a killing

SynCitizen
10-30-2008, 10:51
I know that Lake Mead and Lake Mojave have a huge zebra mussel problem. They cover EVERYTHING and the little buggers are hella razor sharp too.
As far as finding a natural predator and introducing it along side the mussels is probably NOT a good idea. Those type of reactions usually create even more unforeseen problems.
Wasnt kudzu originally planted as cow feed because it grows crazy fast only to find out that the animals wouldnt eat it and now its overtaken and destroyed huge areas in the east/southeast?

fire diver
10-30-2008, 16:42
someone needs to open up a dive park here in oklahoma. they could make a killing

There is, and it's free. It's at lake Tenkiller, off the state park at the closed boat ramp. Tim at Nautical Adventures in cookson (just up the road at about mid lake) Is responsible for creating the park. Has several sunken boats, a bus, a plane and he has a SeaKnight helicopter ready to go down to a ledge at ~75 feet once all the paperwork is cleared. He says he can get an army tank, but he would have to transport it ($$$).

mm2002
11-01-2008, 20:38

There is, and it's free. It's at lake Tenkiller, off the state park at the closed boat ramp. Tim at Nautical Adventures in cookson (just up the road at about mid lake) Is responsible for creating the park. Has several sunken boats, a bus, a plane and he has a SeaKnight helicopter ready to go down to a ledge at ~75 feet once all the paperwork is cleared. He says he can get an army tank, but he would have to transport it ($$$).

That sounds like fun, and hopefully the vis will be getting better soon.