PDA

View Full Version : Color correcting mask lenses

RHoodJr
11-21-2007, 12:44
I have not seen a lot of these used. Can anyone tell me if they in fact do what they claim to do? After 15 years I plan to retire my US Divers mask so s new mask is in the near future.

Also can anyone help me understand the pros/cons of low volume/normal masks.

Thanks

BSea
11-21-2007, 15:15
The yellow lenses make it easier to see detail in low light conditions. I have several friends who use them & like them. The magenta lens makes colors appear closer to normal in clear water at depth. I've heard that this is more hype than anything. I will point out that I've never used the magenta colored lenses, but I have used the yellow, and they do seem to help somewhat.

The low volume mask means that it's easier to clear. For people that have a problem with this, I guess it's a benefit, but I've used several masks, and never had any problem clering either model.

Soonerwink
11-21-2007, 19:34
I have never used color lenses but always wondered how they worked. Years ago I remember some sunglasses, I think they were called
Blu Blockers or something like that. It sure seemed to me that they made things look clearer. I used them usually when I was hunting or shooting. I always wondered if something like that would work underwater.

mm2002
11-22-2007, 11:11
I think the blueblockers were some kind of yellow color, no? Any way, I've used the "fishermans" glasses with the yellow lenses, and they do seem to allow you to see "into" the water better from the surface. I wouldn't mind trying something like that in a mask.

Soonerwink
11-22-2007, 21:12
Its been awhile but I think they were yellow. I have seen some masks with yellow lenses I think by Sea Vision? I would like to try one sometime.

mm2002
11-23-2007, 06:23
I found this by Scubamax. This is a quote from the ad, but I'm not linking the site out of respect for ST. These are available with the yellow lenses, as well as blue and pink, and have black skirts. Interesting.

"The ScubaMax MK-221LY Color Correcting mask is equipped with a yellow tinted lens, similar to the shooting glasses used in competition gun sports. This yellow tint of this mask results in a marked improvement of contrast while diving, providing improved visibility range in lower visibility waters. Some divers report improved visibility range in the magnitude of 50% to 100% in various water conditions. In addition, a slight restoration of color is also provided when diving in clearer water."

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/masks.jpg