PDA

View Full Version : Do You Consider Scuba To Be An Extreme Sport?

Vercingetorix
07-22-2007, 10:37
I don't.
<DIV>To me, an extreme sport is something that is very risky AND gets the adrenaline pumping. Years ago, I was a skydiver. Lots of adrenaline. I consider hang-gliding, boxing, downhill ski racing, ski jumping, etc., to be extreme sports.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>But scuba, not really. It's so relaxing. As I release air from the BC and water rises past my mask, I am now in my own world accompanied only by the sounds of my breathing. Otherewise...silence. I watch and observe other divers and my surroundings. I am with them, yet, I am a world unto myself. My mind wanders or I am here in the moment. My choice. With Extreme Sports, if your mind wanders, you're going to get hurt.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Yes, I realize there are times when diving when your mind cannot wander. And I understand the risks of drowning, DCS, oxygen toxicity, animal interactions (stings, bites,, etc). But, for the most part, while suspended in watery space, it is a world of peace.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>How extreme is that?</DIV>

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 10:47
you are right it is so relaxing and not near the risk of ski jumping , motocross among other dangerous things as long as you are carfully and pay attention but i still think i would consider it a extreme sport due to the risk, especially rescue diving and deep diving,just my input...oh and i guess insurance companies think so to just got health ins and they ask if you sky or scuba dive.

frankc420
07-22-2007, 11:03
It's extremely expensive.. other than that, I would vote no.

jacewindu
07-22-2007, 11:22
haha, expensive, but not extreme, yes.
there's really not a high element of risk, IMO. i consider scuba to be very safe on the whole

TommyB
07-22-2007, 11:26
Extreme sport is riding a Harley around loop 610 in Houston, rush-hr traffic!
Dallas is not so bad--

Cichlid
07-22-2007, 11:36
I think there are things you can do in scuba that are extreme. Deep diving and/or cave diving for example.

Rascal1933
07-22-2007, 11:49
<DIV>Nope.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It's extremely expensive &lt; good one frank! smileys/smiley14.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Gotta agree with Cichlid... Deep diving and/or cave diving increases the risks somewhat.</DIV>
<DIV>It's all about being properly trained.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Vercingetorix
07-22-2007, 12:29
<DIV>It's all about being properly trained. Amen. Because we are properly trained, and if we practice what we learn, the risks are minimal. They are there; after all, you can suffer DCS while operating within NDL limits and taking precautions, such as ascending at 30 feet per minute.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Now, you can make it extreme. For instance, let's go taunt that Great White over there with this sirloin steak. That's Extreme...extremely STUPID.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>edit: why did the font suddenly get small on my last line?</DIV>

the gooch
07-22-2007, 14:49
Extreme sport---definitely not.

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 19:30
I always thought of scuba as a lazy mans sport.

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 21:57
The first time I did a drift dive, I was a little nervous. Now I wish every dive could be a drift dive. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

94GTStang
07-23-2007, 00:45
Nope, don't see how it could be too extreme. Cave diving and going 300+ feet down... yea that is extreme. But looking at pretty fish at 60', that's just vacation

Judestudio
07-23-2007, 01:12
Extreme sport (also called action sport, adventure sport, and adventurous sport) is a media term for certain activities perceived as having a high level of inherent danger
or difficult and often involving speed, height, a high level of
physical exertion, and highly specialized gear or spectacular stunts.

</font>(The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)</font><cite ="book" style="font-style: normal;"></cite></font>

Um..no to most of it, but highly specialized gear and to some people spectacular stunts....yes.

picxie
07-23-2007, 03:09
I think no too.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It's very relaxing. I love it when you can just sit on the bottom of the ocean and watch the world go by. Wow. No words can describe it.</DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-23-2007, 14:27
I'd vote yes. This is an extreme sport that requires specialized equipment and training. Without the specialized training diving is extremely hazardous. I think the same can be said for hang-gliding, boxing, downhill ski racing, ski jumping, and many other sports.

Now when done properly all of the above activities are relatively safe. When done improperly or if you are pushing the envelope then anyone of them can be extremely hazardous.

fire diver
07-23-2007, 16:51
How can anything as relaxing at scuba diving be extreme. When I think extreme sport, I think of something that makes my heart race with fear, excitement, or just plain work.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

Dive-aholic
07-24-2007, 03:34
I cave dive and have been deeper than recreational limits and still don't think of it as an extreme sport. In fact, there are less injuries/deaths percentage wise in cave and tech diving than there are in strictly recreational diving. To me it's just diving.

mwhities
07-24-2007, 08:52
Diving in a speedo is a form of extreme diving.... make your own opinion.

Michael

mwhities
07-24-2007, 08:54
I cave dive and have been deeper than recreational limits and still don't think of it as an extreme sport. In fact, there are less injuries/deaths percentage wise in cave and tech diving than there are in strictly recreational diving. To me it's just diving.

Not only is it just diving... it's called TRAINING. That's why there are less "extreme" diving deaths than there are rec diving. Agency's spit them out after they get paid.. you, been a caver diver, spent a LOT of money on gear and training.....

Michael