PDA

View Full Version : My son, the diver

fire diver
07-22-2007, 11:11
All this talk about when WE first felt like divers, I got to re-experience it with my son. For years, he's been fascinated with my scuba gear and the fact that I bring stuff up off the bottom. He's five years old. He has taken breaths off my reg in the house in the past. A couple days ago, while pool testing my new wing, my son wanted to try my reg in the water. So I imparted to him the unltimate wisdom of never hold your breath, always breath out when coming up. He took my octo, made a few surface breaths, then dove down to the amazing depth of 2 1/2 feet. After a few minutes of recovering dive-toys, he came up and asked if he could do alone. He had that look all new divers get in thier eyes. I told him he needed to wait a couple more years for that.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>His goal right now is to swim down to the bottom of the deep end (9 foot) free-diving. He can make it to 5 foot deep right now. He'll probably make his goal in a few weeks. It's pretty cool having a little "mini-me" around, who can start things earlier than I did.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

jacewindu
07-22-2007, 11:19
that sounds awesome - i bet the next few years should be great

Cichlid
07-22-2007, 11:43
&lt;-------My boy Michael will be four in a couple months, I totally
know what you mean. We play remora and great white in the pool, he
hangs on me while I swim around! He dumped the water wings a few months
ago and loves to swim underwater. I know he will love scuba when he
gets old enough. As soon as he can read and type, I'm sending here so
he can get his 250 posts!

Rascal1933
07-22-2007, 12:16
Hi Jason ,
<DIV>Looks like you may have gained a new dive buddy in a few more years.</DIV>
<DIV>Congrats on the "mini-me" that is Great !</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>You had said that:</DIV>
<DIV>He had that look all new divers get in thier eyes are you talking about this look smileys/smiley29.gif</DIV>

fire diver
07-22-2007, 13:41
Hi Jason ,
<DIV>Looks like you may have gained a new dive buddy in a few more years.</DIV>
<DIV>Congrats on the "mini-me" that is Great !</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>You had said that:</DIV>
<DIV>He had that look all new divers get in thier eyes are you talking about this look smileys/smiley29.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>LOL, no more like this one: http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif</DIV>

Rascal1933
07-22-2007, 14:30
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gifYeah...That's it, that's the look! </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

jacewindu
07-22-2007, 15:13
i think it's a bit too complicated for a little yellow smiley face to totally capture :)

Rascal1933
07-22-2007, 15:18
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Amen Jason!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>You are Absolutely Right-on correct on that oneBro!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

the gooch
07-22-2007, 15:35
I know the look, I have been taking my nephew snorkeling to see if he may want to pursue diving in the future. The looks he gives me with his ear to ear grins whenever we something cool is priceless. He has already told me he wants to be able to SCUBA dive like me and my wife. He is at the age where he can complete his junior OW, I just need to work on his mom.

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 19:29
You are seeing the emergence of a future tech diver<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

dmdoss
07-22-2007, 21:24
Im working on two dive buddies. My son has his OW, my daughter is getting ready for it. He's 15, she's 13.

downunder
07-22-2007, 21:43
The fun of having a son OW certified. I am thankful for the junior OW certification. However, I like you, did not wait until then. My two were breathing on my regs since they were very little in 3' water at the beach that we camp at. They were amazed at just sitting in the water with the mask on watching little fish pass them. Then, when they were 7 &amp; 8 years old, I took them SNUBA on vacation and finally, at 8 &amp; 9, we did a discovery dive. They are hooked and like to go as often as possible!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>This is my son Austin at age 8!</DIV>
<DIV>&lt;-----------------------</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>