PDA

View Full Version : Open-Heel: Closed or Open Toe?

bvav
11-22-2007, 12:34
I'm thinking about getting some new open heel fins, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the advantages/differences of closed vs. open toes? Is it just a personal preference, does it not make much difference at all, or is one better than the other? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

quasimoto
11-22-2007, 18:24
Never heard of open toe so I did a cruise through ST and actually found what might be considered as open toe...most are Apollo. The only "advantage" that I could see is that the foot pocket wouldn't hold water. This usually isn't a problem since most companies put a hole in the pocket someplace.
This also might be a disadvantage since some use the water in their foot pocket to rinse their booties after walking across the beach.

missnumnutz
11-22-2007, 18:46
I'm thinking about getting some new open heel fins, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the advantages/differences of closed vs. open toes? Is it just a personal preference, does it not make much difference at all, or is one better than the other? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

i think it depends on the make of every fin.. i've tried on open toes that have been comfortable as it fit my foot but they were full heel so pushed my foot forward so I was glad to not have all my toes completely mashed up, but i've also tried full heel, closed toes and they really hurt my toes..
I think having thin booties with open toe I would feel the sides of the gap 'cutting' into my foot when its shoved forward is annoying.. but that's just me maybe my feet are obnoxiously picky.

I own a pair of Oceanic V12s which are closed toe and open heel and i find them very comfy, I don't think it would make a differnece to me since i wear booties with them but they might just perhaps help with keeping the foot in with the suctioning effect of having no air hole at the front :smiley36:
I have drain holes in the sole of the fin..
i hope this helps..

bvav
11-22-2007, 18:54
Yeah, that's pretty much what I assumed. I noticed there was no relation between either open or closed and price, so I figured it was just a design related thing rather than a performance thing. Thanks.

msprzeor
11-24-2007, 23:11
I have both kinds and the only difference I notice is that I have to remember to dump the water out of the closed toed fins - which isn't a huge deal but I sometimes forget and wonder why my fins are so heavy when I try to hand them up on the boat. :)

Navy OnStar
11-25-2007, 07:22
I believe the open toe is more comfortable to some becuase you can't squeeze your toes in the front. I have open toe and the opening does not bother my feet. I use 4mm boots all the time though.

Splitlip
11-25-2007, 07:49
Closed toes, like the SP Jets will "vacuum" on to your feet. Can be a pain if you need to remove them to climb a bucking and rolling ladder.

Some people drill holes in them to break the seal. Some like the closed toe because they can carry water like little buckets on shore dives.

I'll bet in some cases the closed toe is just a manufacturing preference. Easier and less costly.

I prefer the open toe.

Puffer Fish
11-25-2007, 08:21
Closed toes, like the SP Jets will "vacuum" on to your feet. Can be a pain if you need to remove them to climb a bucking and rolling ladder.

Some people drill holes in them to break the seal. Some like the closed toe because they can carry water like little buckets on shore dives.

I'll bet in some cases the closed toe is just a manufacturing preference. Easier and less costly.

I prefer the open toe.

Same here, and as I wear fairly sturdy boots, the open/closed issue does not effect my feet.

Soonerwink
11-25-2007, 16:15
I have only used open toed while snorkling and that was with full foot fins, when my foot slid forward in the pockets I always had the feeling the fins were going to come off. They never did, I just didn't like the feeling.