PDA

View Full Version : What is it about fresh water?

Moxie
07-22-2007, 13:01
Hmmmm, interesting. I've not ever had that experience. I rather enjoy both, but if I'm putting my face in, at least fresh water doesn't take like a salt lick. I know I'd rather dive in an ocean rather than a lake, but it has nothing to do with the water itself.
<DIV>People are just comfortable with what they know I guess. </DIV>

Rascal1933
07-22-2007, 13:09
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>People are just comfortable with what they know I guess. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>Right-on Moxie &gt; gotta agreewith that!</DIV></DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-22-2007, 13:37
Fresh water doesn't bother me... grew up in it... but I get missing the salt.

My favorite thing to do is get the ice chest full of soda and ice, and pour a bunch of table salt over the ice. Drops the temp of the soda even more than the ice can, and cools them much faster, and then that first sip has that salty ocean flavor... takes me to a beach in cayman after a shore dive - getting that first blast of refreshment while taking off the gear... Ahhhhh

fire diver
07-22-2007, 13:50
I spend most of my water time in fresh water. But I know what you mean about missing the salt. My first taste of the ocean, I got to spend 2 weeks in Sarasota on the gov'ts dime. I spent every day at the beach and in the water. I wasn't certified back then, so I just swam and snorkeled. I have really missed the ocean ever since. The crash of the waves, the sting in the eyes, the salt in my mouth, the beauty of the sunset over the water. Since then I been to Cocoa beach, Key West, Grand Cayman, and Coz. Man I miss the ocean right now.

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 19:33
I always thought of freshwater as dirty until I had to do my open water dives in it. Once I got underwater and could see what wasthere I no longer cared. I will dive in almost anything now.

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 19:34
I do prefer the clear 100' vis ocean though.

Rascal1933
07-22-2007, 19:39
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Yeah tc rain ....thats what I'am talking about 100' ocean Vis! </DIV>

dmdoss
07-22-2007, 21:27
almost all my time is in fresh. Its closer.

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 21:55
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Me too except about two times a year when I get to go on vacation. </DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 00:20
when i read this, i realized im the same way...
i love the water...
i was born and grew up in brasil, lots of time in the ocean... almost drowned once when i was like 12 or 13...
then here in miami... same thing... go to the beach, swim around all day... no problem.
my friend has a house on a lake, really clean and calm...
i cannot stay more than 5 mins in there with out flipin out... i just hate it for no reason what so ever.
i think im gonna try to dive in there to see how that goes for me. maybe i can even find something cool in there.

94GTStang
07-23-2007, 00:33
I too have an odd fascination with the water as well. My parents are from New Jersey and I grew up in the ocean on summer vacation. Ever since then I couldn't get out of it. Heck, I even wanted to join the Coast Guard when I grew up. I do have a problem swimming in our murky Oklahoma lakes though. I can water ski and wade in it, but you won't catch me doing much more than that in our lakes.
Now I find myself trying to get into optometry school in Fort Lauderdale so I can be much much closer to the water :D

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 12:12
dont count out the genetic defect just yet... it just might be us 2 that have it... well... yourdaughter too.

BSea
07-23-2007, 13:38
I've never had any problems with either salt or fresh. I do have a problem opening my eyes in salt, but I have done it a few times.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I think some people don't like lakes because it look black when you look down, and the ocean looks blue even when you can't see the bottom. I don't understand the part about not wanting to put your face in the water.</DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 14:04
I don't mind having my face in the water or water in my mouth... cause his lake is crystal clear... I just can't be there for more than like 5-10 minutes for some alwfull reason unknown to me....
like I said... I think I. gonna do a 45-50 minute ''be one with the lake'' dive this weekend.. just hang out at 10-25' and try and relax....

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 14:06
maybe it's just too calm... that just hit me right now... maybe the lake is too calm for me??
<DIV>is that possible? fear of tranquility?</DIV>

BSea
07-23-2007, 14:23
I do know people who hate to dive in lakes because of being in cold water. Even in the hottest part of the year, it gets really cold below the thermocline. Our group regularly dive full wetsuits in the summer because the lake generally is much clearer after 50 ft. But it's also about 50 degrees or colder below that depth, and the 1st thermocline is about 20 ft.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I rarely make more than 2 cold dives a day. I enjoy the 1st dive in the deep clear water, but I just can't put that full wetsuit back on when it's 90 or above. I usually just practice skills &amp; explore shallow for any dive after the 1st one.</DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 15:39
well I actually like cold water... warm water feels like a lot of people just been peeing in there all day..
it has nothing to do with the temps... maybe the enviroment??
I still think it has to do with it been to tranquil...?
I'm gonna research if that's even possible.

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 16:08
i've been looking for like the past 20 minutes about being bothered by tranquility... and i cant find anything online.... so i guess we can rule that out.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>what exactaly bothers you about fresh water? any bad child hood memories? (almost drown in a bathtub or something like that?)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>i just talked to my brother, but got nothing from him... hes 3 years younger than me and scuba dives too.. but he's not bothered by lakes (not for scuba, just to swim in and what not) </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>i've never been diving in a lake, but i was looking at a place called blue grotto, but once i touched on this subject it made me reconsider... its like 5 hours from my house... and if i cant have fun, what good is it?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

creggur
07-23-2007, 16:18
Grew up in lakes and rivers in Alabama, I don't much care for them now, but love the ocean!!!!!

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 16:37
but does it bother you to be in a lake?

picxie
07-24-2007, 04:48
I grew up on Long Island. My grand parents lived in South Florida. I was always in the water. Salt water anyway.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I went to college in Indiana. I tried water skiing in the lakes and diving in a quarry. It creeped me out for some reason. Even as kid, I avoided swimming in mountain lakes on the family vacations.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I wonder if any other ocean divers have the same reaction.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I ask because my 15 yr old daughter who surfs, water skisand dives and has been swimming in the ocean since she was 3 had the same reaction. (I have never said anything to her about it.) She came home from a teen camp that had taken a trip to a fresh water lake for a day of wakeboarding. She said she could not do it because she could not put her face in the water.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I don't mind salt or fresh water. I usually dive in salt - only done a couple in fresh. But I have no problems going for a swim in a river or something similar.</DIV>

creggur
07-24-2007, 07:09
but does it bother you to be in a lake?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Honestly I can't remember the last time I was in a lake.. The springs here don't bother me, but they are pretty much unlimited vis.... </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I may be a little trepid about just jumping in a lake where I gew up nowadays because of snakes, gators, and the low visibility, So I guess my answer would be I don't really know...</DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-24-2007, 17:18
that does not help the cause...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>i spoke to my parents, and they reminded me of when i was smaller, in Brasil, my uncle had a boat, and we used to go out in a lake all of the time, and they tell me i never really liked the water... so it goes back from when i was young.... it kind of sucks not knowing what bothers me... </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-25-2007, 15:28
^
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>hey... doo doo happens...</DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-26-2007, 09:33
i never almost drowned in a lake either... so thats out of the question...

Moxie
07-26-2007, 22:13
That's odd... I didn't start this post. The hiccups are interesting.

Black-Gorrilla
07-26-2007, 22:18
yeah.. there is a bunch of stuff missing...

DiverBry
07-26-2007, 23:13
One nice thing about fresh water, is that rinsing your gear is not much of a chore! It is almost pre-rinsed just by diving in it, LOL!

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 00:04
that is true.

Moxie
07-27-2007, 00:29
One nice thing about fresh water, is that rinsing your gear is not much of a chore! It is almost pre-rinsed just by diving in it, LOL!

I'm still a rinser. There are too many microscopic critters living in fresh water who will stink up your gear if you let it. I'm freakish about rinsing. My house has rinse stations set up for when I get home from a dive - where I've used the rinse stations that are usually on site. I'm a germophobe.

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 01:08
i still rinse, after any use (never done lake diving though)
but even after a pool sesion just to try a reg out or something, even though its going to be used the next day, i will rinse it.
it does not take that long to grab a hose.

Moxie
07-27-2007, 08:22
I usually have to rinse out the back of the truck too..... in the sun it gets smelly pretty funky.

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 18:15
my lazy ass friends never rinse off their stuff, and it smells like a dump. i hate that so much.

Capt.C
07-28-2007, 18:13
I do the majority of my diving in fresh water. I have found that people that dive in fresh water for the first time are suprised by 1) the lack of boyancy, 2) the cold thermocline, and last but not least 3) lack of visibility and ambient light.
I know that just the lack of visibility will get my imagination going every once in a while!!

Ajuva
07-28-2007, 18:34
I will be diving fresh for the first time in September in Scotland.

It is definitely not the norm here so I will drop a post to let you know what i thought.

Ajuva

JahJahwarrior
07-28-2007, 18:53
I don't like the ocean very much at all. I hate hate hate salt!!! My eyes are very sensitive to it, even rinsing my mask in salt water can make my eyes red and irritated sometimes, the salty air near my face....

fresh water can be very murky and stagnant, lakes are not fun to dive usually, but springs are Heaven's Water :)

Rascal1933
07-28-2007, 20:00
Hey JahJah,

Yep......Just another reason to jump the fence,and try to dive Devil's Hole out near Interlachen!

Cheers,
Rascal

Splitlip
07-28-2007, 20:08
yeah.. there is a bunch of stuff missing...

My original post got lost. But here it is.
I also noted in one reply that I almost drowned at age 6 or 7 in a fresh water lake. I Also almost drowned as a young teen in the Atlantic ocean.

I grew up on Long Island. My grand parents lived in South Florida. I was always in the water. Salt water anyway.
I went to college in Indiana. I tried water skiing in the lakes and diving in a quarry. It creeped me out for some reason. Even as kid, I avoided swimming in mountain lakes on the family vacations.
I wonder if any other ocean divers have the same reaction.
I ask because my 15 yr old daughter who surfs, water skisand dives and has been swimming in the ocean since she was 3 had the same reaction. (I have never said anything to her about it.) She came home from a teen camp that had taken a trip to a fresh water lake for a day of wakeboarding. She said she could not do it because she could not put her face in the water

Moxie
07-28-2007, 21:46
The worst thing about salt water for me was the plankton blooms on top. You cannot rinse with fresh water when you come out of the water as it causes they little jellyfish eggs to burst and burn/itch. When you dive and it's warm out you bet the bloom is thick.

Other than that, it makes no difference to me as I try not to taste too much of either water. However the salinity of the salt water makes for less bacteria.

DiverBry
07-28-2007, 22:46

I'm still a rinser. There are too many microscopic critters living in fresh water who will stink up your gear if you let it. I'm freakish about rinsing. My house has rinse stations set up for when I get home from a dive - where I've used the rinse stations that are usually on site. I'm a germophobe.

I still rinse my gear after diving in fresh water, as well, and then give it a brief soak in Mirazyme before I hang it up to dry.

This is expecially necessary for the boots, for some odd reason, LOL!

I just like that some small salt crystal won't be wreaking havoc between dives...

Charlotte Smith
08-30-2007, 18:39

Same here...we are only an hour from a big lake...Lake Norfork in Mountain Home , AR.......It has ALOT of boats, old homeplaces, cellars, bridges, bulldozers, etc...........it is alot of fun but I can hardly wait til nov or dec to go to Coz.

sidneydiver
08-31-2007, 00:32
I have the luxury of being near the Ocean, Springs and lakes. I like to dive in all of them but the ocean has to be my favourite!

ScubaJenn81
08-31-2007, 05:43
I would rather dive salt, as it seems more exciting for me, but I love the fact that I do not feel all sticky and salty after when I dive fresh.

mountaindiver
08-31-2007, 09:04
If you want good vix and fresh water, go to Freemont Lake in Wyoming. The vis is about 60-70 feet.

Where's The Water?

Capt Hook
08-31-2007, 14:43
Started out in fresh water but really do prefer salt.

Liv7301
08-31-2007, 19:53
I love fresh water because it's much more available and what I have done all of my diving in to date. Though I have been in the ocean many times I wasn't a diver yet. I did snorkle once though. I am sure that when it will all change though after our first liveaboard trip!!

Xspect
08-31-2007, 20:10
I rather have the vis of the ocean but the calmness of fresh water is cool.