PDA

View Full Version : PADI Enriched Air(Nitrox) - Prerequisites and specifics?

hmb
11-23-2007, 10:55
Hi,

I'm considering to take PADI EA course while vacationing south (mexico).
Are there any specifics/prerequisites to the course?
Anyone did it in the Riviera Maya area?
Looks like no prerequisites except c-card. But I saw some diveshop where there was "10 non-training dives before the course" requirement.
Also, I already read the course materials, manuals - so is it possible just to pay the course fee, have a chat with instructor and take the test? In order to save my and instructor time?

TIA

DougNR
11-23-2007, 11:10
Looks like no prerequisites except c-card. But I saw some diveshop where there was "10 non-training dives before the course" requirement.
Also, I already read the course materials, manuals - so is it possible just to pay the course fee, have a chat with instructor and take the test? In order to save my and instructor time?

TIA

When I took PADI EAN I found there were variations from shop to shop in how they handled the issues of tests and dives. Some required the tests be done in person, others allowed emailing them in. I worked through the charter boat I normally use, so the checkout dives were simply dives I would have done anyway just on NITROX. There was no check for dive history but as I mentoned, these people know me and I've been diving with them for some time.

I would think you should be able to take the tests and go diving. You'll be issued a paper temporary cert until the actual card arrives. As I mentioned, the policy could vary so look around until you find what works for you. I'd normally be critical of non-standard practices in things of this nature, but basic EAN is not rocket science.

Good luck.

Doug

navyhmc
11-23-2007, 11:36
That wounds like something between you and the instructor. Personally, if I'm paying for the class I want the full class. In short, there may be questions that you have after discussing certain aspects of EaN duringthe class. Not having the right answer may make a big difference when you're at 90' and 35 minutes...

wheelman
11-23-2007, 13:31
Might be best to find an instructor... but since there are no required dives, I think they now offer this class online.

cummings66
11-23-2007, 13:38
The class can be had with or without dives, but to save time I'd suggest you knowing the material beforehand. The class will go quickly that way, and don't do the dives.

I honestly jumped at the chance to do the dives, any opportunity to get in the water so to speak.

Puffer Fish
11-23-2007, 13:38
Hi,

TIA
As the only thing the course does is test to make sure you understand the rules.. I don't see why not.

I would also put the "10 dives" as a very silly requirement.

And honestly, I don't know why it is not just done on line....with the option to ask questions....

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-23-2007, 17:02
Study the material before the academic session. Nothing too difficult but it would be good to work through the example problems before taking the test. I've found that prerequisites vary from shop to shop. For example, a lot of shops require AOW for Deep certification even though PADI only requires 'Adventure Diver'. The Enriched Air Dives are optional according to PADI. Some shops require them even though they are optional. My shop required 'simulated' dives, i.e. measure the O2, set up the equipment, calc the presure groups, O2 loading etc.

terrillja
11-30-2007, 16:17
I did it in person. We went over all the questions, he explained any we had issues with, we did some simulated dives on paper, learned about how the shop makes its nitrox (premix), then analyzed 15-20 tanks. I would say that it is absolutely worthwhile to take it in person, so you can learn to use different analyzers, how to calibrate them, etc.

I have yet to dive nitrox since I got my cert last week, but I feel that I learned a lot in the class.

As for the 10 dives, that may be so you know you can control your buoyancy, and don't drop below the MOD and suffer (die) from O2 Tox. Then again, I have seen people with 50-100 dives who still cannot control their buoyancy.

Soonerwink
11-30-2007, 20:10
Hi,

TIA
I took this class a couple of years ago in person. Dives are not a requirement but my LDS did give me a tank of nitrox to make a dive. As far as 10 dive requirement, I was told you only had to have an OW cert.

wtbscuba
12-05-2007, 10:44
The class can even be taken while you are enrolled in the Open Water Diver class. Now students can get 2 cert cards at once!