PDA

View Full Version : Nitrox

nrobinson
11-23-2007, 16:43
So I am new to the Scuba world and don't have very many dives under my belt, but I am already looking to future certifications and dive adventures. I have considered getting my Nitrox ceritification, however I have received mixed thoughts from divers who dive Nitrox. A couple of divers have said it really isn't worth the hassle. What do all of you Nitrox divers think?

navyhmc
11-23-2007, 16:50
There are some advantages to nitrox. The biggest advantage is the increased down time. Another is that your actual Total Nitrogen Times are less because the available nitrogen in the mix is less.

The disadvantges include: More costly to get a fill, less places to get a fill, more time needed to plan a dive and is of limited advantage unless you have others who are nitrox certified as well.

Personally, I think nitrox is worth it. But you must make your own decision.

Good luck

Illini_Fan
11-23-2007, 16:50
I haven't dove Nitrox yet. Got certified last week and will use Nitrox in the Bahamas over New Years. I held off on Nitrox until my air consumption improved. Not that I'm great in terms of SAC right now, but when I first started, Nitrox would have been close to useless since I was consuming air so fast --you might not have that issue, but something to keep in mind as you lay-out your training calendar

comet24
11-23-2007, 16:59
I would take the class as you will learn a lot about diving that you don't get in your OW class. Then you can decide what you want to do.

If your doing just 2 dives a day it might not be a big advantage. On the other hand I did a liveaboard last month and did 27 dives in 6 days. I was glad I was diving on Nitrox. Could I have made all the dives on air. Maybe but thats a lot of nitrogen loading to your system and I will that the advantage of Nitrox or air.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-23-2007, 17:30
When you are limited by your NDL and not the amount of air in your tank you'll appreciate Nitrox. If you regularly dive in the 100-130 ft range, IMO you ought to consider Nitrox.

texdiveguy
11-23-2007, 17:41
A basic nitrox course is short and simple.....no more voodoo thinking...this is a good thing for recreational divers. I see know reason for divers to say anything again nitrox and its use. If you can justify its use within the dive profiles and plans of your outing, go for it. From a persl. note---I was certf. in nitrox several years ago...I only used it on a handful of occasions were its use was of benefit to me and my diving plans, but for the most part used air within NDL profiles and still do today doing recreational dives. I now use higher than recreational % of EANx in my staged deco diving.

cummings66
11-23-2007, 19:02
When you are limited by your NDL and not the amount of air in your tank you'll appreciate Nitrox. If you regularly dive in the 100-130 ft range, IMO you ought to consider Nitrox.

I agree with the first part, but do you realize how light the mix will be at 130 feet? I'm not sure it's worth the extra money for a mix that weak for the extra couple minutes. It really is more useful at a shallower depth than that, IMO that is.

comet24
11-23-2007, 19:13

I agree with the first part, but do you realize how light the mix will be at 130 feet? I'm not sure it's worth the extra money for a mix that weak for the extra couple minutes. It really is more useful at a shallower depth than that, IMO that is.

While I agree that Nitrox is better for the shallower depths 40'-70' it's still has advantages on some deeper dives. Nitrox not only gives you better bottom time but also the safety factor of less nitrogen loading for the same time and depth on air.

quasimoto
11-23-2007, 19:41

If I am thinking right the MOD for 28% is 135'. No sure what you would gain on BT though.
The main advantage to nitrox is when it comes to repetitive dives. It also helps on deeper dives. It is usually an easy class and can be cheap if you don't do dive with it.

Puffer Fish
11-23-2007, 21:14
There are some advantages to nitrox. The biggest advantage is the increased down time. Another is that your actual Total Nitrogen Times are less because the available nitrogen in the mix is less.

The disadvantges include: More costly to get a fill, less places to get a fill, more time needed to plan a dive and is of limited advantage unless you have others who are nitrox certified as well.

Personally, I think nitrox is worth it. But you must make your own decision.

Good luck

I'm with Navy.. it depends a bit on the diving you are doing, but our group of divers use large tanks, Nitrox and try to get the maximum safe bottom time we can...

And if you happen to get your tanks filled at fill express in south florida, they charge the same for air as nitrox.

medicdiver
11-23-2007, 21:22
I would say the main benefit of Nitrox is 60-100 feet. In my opinion the main concern a newer diver needs to work on is their depth awareness because this could lead to Ox toxicity if they forget or lose control.

kyfriedchipper
11-23-2007, 21:30
I've seen people on dive boats and they don't spend infinite amounts of time down underneath while all of us air divers are ho humming around waiting for them. If you're on a boat - you're gonna be basically on the same schedule as everyone else. I know there are other benefits to Nitrox other than time, but I haven't seen the length factor ever...

TxHockeyGuy
11-23-2007, 21:31
It was a full year from the time I certified for Nitrox before I first did a dive on it (outside of the training dives, yes I did a cert that required them). My normal dives are shallow at a local quarry and there is no benefit to using Nitrox but I am still glad I took the class. You'll learn quite a bit and if you are ever in a position where nitrox would be of benefit it will be an option, provided you can get a nitrox fill. A couple of months ago the diving we were doing would be pushing air limits but quite doable, I didn't want to push the limits so I paid for nitrox tanks. Incidentally on one of the dives my backup computer was left on air mode and my primary on 32% (actually I found a bug in the backup computer as I did set it to 32% but that's a story for another thread). I was a little surprised when down at 100 ft my backup computer started beeping at me and telling me I had 2 minutes of no deco time left (my preset alarm). I checked my primary and quickly realized it was set to air but it was interesting to see the differences. I ended up staying within air limits on the dive but just barely. Comparing the two computers on a real dive was interesting, I had quite a bit of additional bottom time on the computer set for Nitrox.

Short version, get the cert, it isn't expensive. Worst case is you'll learn something but never use it. Best case is you'll find yourself using it on vacation and getting more out of your dives.

medicdiver
11-23-2007, 21:33
I've seen people on dive boats and they don't spend infinite amounts of time down underneath while all of us air divers are ho humming around waiting for them. If you're on a boat - you're gonna be basically on the same schedule as everyone else. I know there are other benefits to Nitrox other than time, but I haven't seen the length factor ever...

I would guess the only other benefit would be less nitrogen loading while diving on an air schedule which can make for a safer profile.

GruPoo
11-23-2007, 23:00

I always thought (thought that is often my problem) that Nitrox was best used above 30m. Well if it works it works.

Mtrewyn
11-24-2007, 00:30
You can never go wrong with education, but advantages, I don't know I'm new now, and go through my air faster than the tables (well not really but you get the point) so for now I cant see one maybe later after I have more dives.

navyhmc
11-24-2007, 02:24

I always thought (thought that is often my problem) that Nitrox was best used above 30m. Well if it works it works.

Below 30msw (95fsw) you won't be able to use a 40-60 mix as 25msw (82fsw) in fact, a 32% mix is what you would use. But, instead of a 16 min NDL, you would have a 25 min NDL. so it would still be of benefit.

Max Operating Depths (MOD) for Nitrox are:
40% - 82fsw
36% - 95fsw
32% - 111fsw
26% - 145fsw

Zenagirl
11-24-2007, 07:51
We really feel nitrox is worth the extra money. On our liveaboard this summer, we not only had FAR less nitrogen loading than those on air, but we also could extend our bottom times, particularly on the deeper dives. We like nitrox for the safety of less nitrogen loading, and although admittedly we don't dive it using the air tables, we don't push our NDLs to the max of the nitrox tables either....we shoot for somewhere in between.

We'll be diving nitrox next month on Maui since on our last trip I found myself in deco on two dives, coming up with over 1300psi still in my tank. Yes, I not only cleared the deco on my stops, but cleared the computer down to the first yellow bar on my computer before reboarding the boat (next time I'll take it down to green). With nitrox I wouldn't have come close to deco and had a few extra minutes at the same time.

tarheeldiver
11-24-2007, 09:51
Definitely get nitrox if you are planning to ever do trips with multiple dives day after day it really makes a difference if your air consumption is good

CaribbeanDiver
11-24-2007, 10:41
Nitrox is NOT going to increase your bottom time. It does nothing to increase your breathing rate and you will end the dive when reach your turnaround pressure, and I dont care if that is 21% or 40%.
The advantage is that your nitrogen load should be less with a dive on nitrox over a dive on standard 21%. Also, the surface interval time is shortened because, in theory, you have less nitrogen to off-gas.
The disadvantage is the potential danger in exceeding your max operating depth. That is, oxygen becomes toxic at certain levels when the amount is greater than 21%. If you exceed that depth, oxygen toxity is a real and very serious danger.
If you intend to make many dives over a relatively short period of time. Such as one normally does on a liveaboard, then Nitrox can be a big advantage.
Many unproven claims about Nitrox exist, such as feeling better after a dive, less tired after a dive, etc but it boils down the individual. For the diver that believes he feels better, chances are he does.
I use Nitrox whenever possible up to a max depth of 100 fsw. I am a believer and had my son Nitrox certified immediately after his OW certification. I would recommend it to any diver.

in_cavediver
11-24-2007, 12:26
I'm of the opinion nitrox should be part of the OW class. Simply put, every diver can make use of the knowledge, whether they dive air or nitrox for any given dive. The information is not hard, complicated or overly technical.

As for advantages, to me its simple. Repetitive diving over many days builds N2 and generates decompression stress. Less N2 uptake/outgassing, less decompression stress. I doubt you notice much on 1-2 dives but after 3 dives or multiple days, you will notice the difference. This of course assumes you do more diving than what air would allow but if you did, then another advantage to nitrox.

For the record, for single days of diving, I use air or whatever residual nitrox I have. Multiday trips in nitrox. (unless its air/02 or trimix/02 dives where I don't want a high bottom p02). I have also exceeded the air limits while breathing nitrox and keeping in the NDL so I have seen the benefit to nitrox.

Puffer Fish
11-24-2007, 15:06
ky - you need to dive more. come on over and dive with us, and you will see one of the following divie plans:

1. Captain to Puffer... "Please don't keep all the air divers waiting, so howabout you guys go in first, and try not to spend more that an hour down?"

2. "You guys don't really need an hour surface interval do you? If you do, then you have to be back in around 45 minutes"

3. "Just remember, we have to be back by 12:30"

There are days when doing the insta-buddy, that I dive the buddies air usage.. but never with an air diver.

There are also days, were we have enough of us, that we take a boat for a day...

Recently, we rented the a boat for 3 days of diving in the Dry Tortugas... we did 6 dives a day...of the 20 divers on board, two were new and used air.. they did 3 dives a day.

For a normal dive, I use the 5 minute rule, in that I try to stay 5 minutes out of deco on every dive...and as a normal Boyington dive is around 65ft, for an hour, doing air just does not work that well.

texdiveguy
11-24-2007, 15:13
For a normal dive, I use the 5 minute rule, in that I try to stay 5 minutes out of deco on every dive...

I am just the 'opposite'..... gotta feel I am getting something out of my Advanced Trimix card--LOL! :-)

CompuDude
11-24-2007, 15:20
As brand new OW diver, you're generally limited to 60'.

How is your air consumption? Do you usually come back up because your computer says you have to, or do you come up because you are getting low on air?

If the answer is the latter, then Nitrox isn't going to help you at all.

I would get your AOW cert first (unless you already have). If you are planning a big dive trip, go ahead and get your Nitrox cert. If not, I would wait and just concentrate on your diving before adding in the minor complications Nitrox adds to your dive planning. Once you hit the point where your NDL limits are limiting your diving, and not the amount of gas on your back, then by all means go for the Nitrox cert. With under 25 dives, however (again, unless you are planning a dive vacation where you will be doing many dives per day for days in a row), your time, energy and money are better spent diving, rather than sitting in class. (Or perhaps buying your own gear, in the case of money.)

tarheeldiver
11-24-2007, 16:38

How is your air consumption? Do you usually come back up because your computer says you have to, or do you come up because you are getting low on air?

I would get your AOW cert first (unless you already have). If you are planning a big dive trip, go ahead and get your Nitrox cert. If not, I would wait and just concentrate on your diving before adding in the minor complications Nitrox adds to your dive planning. Once you hit the point where your NDL limits are limiting your diving, and not the amount of gas on your back, then by all means go for the Nitrox cert. With under 25 dives, however (again, unless you are planning a dive vacation where you will be doing many dives per day for days in a row), your time, energy and money are better spent diving, rather than sitting in class. (Or perhaps buying your own gear, in the case of money.)
This is a great explanation

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
11-24-2007, 17:08
I would guess the only other benefit would be less nitrogen loading while diving on an air schedule which can make for a safer profile.

One would think that-- it's very logical. Unortunately there is no statictically significant evidence that this is actually the case. Doesn't mean its not true, it just can't be proven that it is.

DiverBoy100
11-24-2007, 18:20
Nitrox is the only way i am going to dive in the future i did 2 dives on it this past weekend and then 2 more on air 2 days later and i saw and felt the difference...Nitrox is a must for any diver

tedwhiteva
11-24-2007, 19:55

Great answer to the original question:smiley20: