PDA

View Full Version : Wetsuit pocket attachment

tc_rain
11-24-2007, 17:27
Is there any special thread or stitch that should be used when sewing neoprene? What I am considering is attaching a pocket to a 3mm wetsuit. I looked into gluing one on using aquaseal and just didnít care too much for the idea. What I am currently considering is attaching a couple of small straps to the right leg of the suit and using the attachment system that USIA uses on my drysuit. That way the pocket will not be effected by the stretch of the suit and can be removed easily if not needed. This will also allow me to use the same pockets on both suits. If it works out, I will see about ordering just a pocket for the wetsuit.

GruPoo
11-24-2007, 23:06
Not sure that what I am about to propose will work. Others have far more knowledge than I on the subject. Most of my life is spent finding answers to odd questions and/or problems. Normal this involves Oracle databases but the skill translates to just about everything.

Here goes:
Can you glue industrial Velcro to a 3mm neoprene wetsuit? If this can be done you could create an interchangeable system. Stick a pocket on one day, they next a flash light holder, then a patch, etc.

Let me know how it turns out.

Puffer Fish
11-25-2007, 08:19
Not sure that what I am about to propose will work. Others have far more knowledge than I on the subject. Most of my life is spent finding answers to odd questions and/or problems. Normal this involves Oracle databases but the skill translates to just about everything.

Here goes:
Can you glue industrial Velcro to a 3mm neoprene wetsuit? If this can be done you could create an interchangeable system. Stick a pocket on one day, they next a flash light holder, then a patch, etc.

Let me know how it turns out.

Yup, you can, you want to be careful about the stretch issue (don't put it on relaxed neoprene, and don't put a giant single lump).

The guys I know that do it, go from dry suit to wetsuit with the large, rather expensive pockets, something around $90 each.

You shoul put the leg area under tension, and then glue strips of the stuff on the suit (double side glue, then put together and press). The pocket need to have some give in it, and you put it on while you are wearing the suit.

The ones I have looked at, outlasted the suit.