PDA

View Full Version : Haigh Quarry

Queen
07-10-2007, 07:21
Just wanted to share vis and temp from 7/9/07 if anyone is heading there...vis was 8-12 feet and temp was 78 above the thermocline and 50 below (brrrr with my 3/2 wetsuitsmileys/smiley4.gif).

cummings66
07-10-2007, 19:40
That's impressive, I think I'm a certified drysuit weanie. I got the card. A 3/2 at 50 would have me stiff as a board other than a bounce dive and that's only fast enough to get the anchor. OK, obviously not something I'm doing in a quarry...

Queen
07-11-2007, 07:11
I didn't stay below the thermocline for long, it made my uncovered hands and ears hurt too bad. Although whenever I got ho the rest of the day I'd just dip down a little and catch some of that icy water. smileys/smiley17.gif

gangrel441
07-11-2007, 11:30
How deep were you hitting the 50 deg thermocline?

jacewindu
07-11-2007, 14:28
oh, i remember getting certified in haigh - not the greatest place, considering i've been to belize and hawaii since... :)

but i'm sure more courses will take me back there...

gangrel441
07-13-2007, 14:09
oh, i remember getting certified in haigh - not the greatest place, considering i've been to belize and hawaii since... :)

but i'm sure more courses will take me back there...

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Sure, it's not a coral reef with 100' vis and 80 degree salt water, but as midwest quarry diving goes, Haigh isn't half bad. I have seen vis there as high as 30 ft, and sometimes 18 inch catfish and schools of bluegill are pretty cool to swim with...plus my last dive there, I saw a 4' paddlefish. :)</DIV>

jacewindu
07-13-2007, 15:27
sorry, but i fail to see the excitement in sunken bicycles, guitars and telephones in cold, murky water. i love diving, and i'll certainly go to haigh with a smile on my face, but i'd much rather be wreck diving in the big lake.

gangrel441
07-13-2007, 15:42
I agree about bicycles, guitars and telephones. So, you don't want to dive Caissons (if you have a Cris Kohl book, look it up ;) ). My enjoyment of diving Haigh has more to do with the rock crusher, diving the wall, large catfish and paddlefish.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I also enjoy diving the big lake, and woulddefinately see that as my first choice, but Haigh is a good #1 alternative for me...

Queen
07-13-2007, 16:26
How deep were you hitting the 50 deg thermocline?
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, it was around 20-22ft.

It was my first time at Haigh and I rather enjoyed it. I prefer warm, blue, Caribbean water but when you just want to get wet Haigh is very handy (and MUCH better than Kickapoo!!).

cummings66
07-13-2007, 16:40
Face it, if you intend on diving a lot and you want to do it cheaply this is the type of place you're going to be diving at. Quarries and Lakes, both with lots of added features for divers, and unless you dive the Great Lakes most of it was placed there on purpose.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Still, it's fun and for me I really do like it.</DIV>

jacewindu
07-19-2007, 12:07
anyone taking any classes here soon?

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 14:46
What is the vis like? I am trying to decide between Haigh and Pearl this weekend.

SteveC
07-30-2007, 21:36
Haigh's web site is still reporting 35' vis. But it seems that no one that is diving there reports it that good. It was 30-40 last year when I dove it. It's hard to believe that's its only 8-12 now.

Queen
07-31-2007, 07:09
Haigh's web site is still reporting 35' vis. But it seems that no one that is diving there reports it that good. It was 30-40 last year when I dove it. It's hard to believe that's its only 8-12 now.
Did they finally update the website? It was a couple of weeks behind last time I looked.

SteveC
08-06-2007, 18:13
Yes, they updated it Aug 4th. They are still saying 35'. I'm inclined to believe those from this board that are actualy diving there, but there is a big difference between 8' and 35'. I've hate to drive 300 miles for 8'.

snagel
08-08-2007, 17:34
Damn Zebra Mussells just are not doing their job at Haigh.

S. Nagel

dludwig
08-10-2007, 19:00
I enjoy diving at Haigh (I enjoy diving about anywhere). The place is beginning to get crowded on the weekends.

jbres1
08-11-2007, 14:13
I was at the Haigh on wed. Aug 8 th, and the vis is not 30 ft.
The vis was less than 20 ft. , but was better out at the deep hole.
First dive was with a 7mm farmer john bibs only (less than 30ft) 75 deg water
Second dive was with full 7mm farmer john down to 45 ft. 64 deg.
Jim breslin

coyote
08-13-2007, 07:08
The secret to visibility at Haigh is the day of the week you visit. Wednesday or Thursdays are the best. Vis can be good until the weekend when you have 150+ divers in the water – half of which are open water students.

The vis was incredible this spring. But it was dry suit only conditions.

quarrydiver
08-15-2007, 21:18
is it worth a 6 hour drive?

coyote
08-16-2007, 07:21

Maybe if you make a whole day of it. You could bring some charcoal and pick up a couple steaks on the way. There’s a couple of restaurants close by as well.

And 6 hours isn’t too bad if you can find a place to detour and dive the next day on the way home.:smiley20:

dludwig
08-19-2007, 16:24
:smiley32: Glad to see you made on board, dude! :smiley32: We were open water students once, too
The secret to visibility at Haigh is the day of the week you visit. Wednesday or Thursdays are the best. Vis can be good until the weekend when you have 150+ divers in the water – half of which are open water students.

The vis was incredible this spring. But it was dry suit only conditions.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-19-2007, 16:48
I enjoy diving at Haigh (I enjoy diving about anywhere). The place is beginning to get crowded on the weekends.

If you guys/gals ever plan a trip up this way to dive the quarry let me know. I love to meet up with you and can always use another dive and don't mind the quarry. That's where I got my OW from.

dludwig
08-23-2007, 20:36
We may try coming up during the week sometime soon. I'm on vacation the week of Labor Day. Coyote & I have been talking about coming up that week ? ! ! ? Will let you know when we're going up next. Love to meet you! :smiley20:

effinghamdiver
09-01-2007, 10:29
I drove 3 hours up there, and loved it. The vis is really bad right now I think due to the heat creating more algea and that is why there is so much turbidity. I have dove several quarries, and this is by far one of my favorites. I love Glen's quarry (mermet springs) but this buy far has better marine life and underwater scenery, not just sheer rock cliffs with nothing on them!

SteveC
09-02-2007, 12:11
I hope the vis clears up soon. The last time we dove there is was great. And I agree the underwater senery is the best I've seen in a quarry.

Queen
01-11-2008, 08:11
Bump to the top with a question.

Anyone dive there in the early Spring? If so, what is the temp and vis like in say mid-April? A friend got a new wetsuit and we're both chomping at the bit to get it wet. :D

Thanks

cummings66
01-11-2008, 10:50
When I first started diving I would have done it in a wetsuit at that date and time, but now that I've been using drysuits for a few years I wouldn't think of it.

Queen
01-11-2008, 14:42
When I first started diving I would have done it in a wetsuit at that date and time, but now that I've been using drysuits for a few years I wouldn't think of it.

I wear a 3/2 so it may be late April or early May before I'm willing to give it a go.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
01-11-2008, 15:51

I wear a 3/2 so it may be late April or early May before I'm willing to give it a go.

A lot would depend on how cold it gets here between now and the end of March. As it hasn't really been cold enough YET for the water to freeze over your 3/2 might be enough by the end of April. The last temp/vis report they have at their website (haighquarry.com) is:
Information is current as of : October 18, 2007 Water Temperature at Surface : 68at 15' : 68at 20' : 68at 45' : 61at Deep Hole : 54 Visibility at deep end : 10at rock crusher : 20at ss flamingo : 20
If the water does freeze over then you'll probably want to rent a 7mm from a local shop or your LDS and use it. When I cert'd there in July my shop gave us 5mm and it got chilly below 40'.

cummings66
01-11-2008, 16:34
A 3/2, you're frigging nuts to even think of diving it in April. It's going to be in the upper 40's or low 50's that time of year. A 7mm at a minimum will be needed. The temps fall pretty hard once you get past October, it doesn't need to freeze to get into the 40's and 50's and those are the normal temps about that time of year.

Nope, a 3/2 is a summer only wetsuit, or warm water. It's not for diving inland water bodies, even in the summer it gets cold down deep and that wetsuit is not enough. People used to think I was tough when I'd dive 42 degree water in a 7mm, if you'd do 50 in a 3/2 I'll hand you the honor.

Look at your first post, you said it was 50 below the thermocline and that was in July, that's 3 months after April. It's going to be so cold that if you had any doubts as to what cold is you would know it in April. Trust me, April there is 7mm or drysuit territory.

SteveC
01-11-2008, 18:29
I 2nd everything that Cummings said.

coyote
01-11-2008, 18:57
Last year in April the vis was great, water was cold. I dove in a 7mill farmer-john and was freezing during my second surface interval. Hot chocolate. Bring lots of hot chocolate.

I'll be there opening day this year, but in a drysuit.:smiley20:

snagel
01-11-2008, 18:58
Me too, been there, got the t-shirt....and I was in a 7mm. So cold I was hugging the truck for warmth.

S. Nagel

Queen
01-12-2008, 05:37
A 3/2, you're frigging nuts to even think of diving it in April. It's going to be in the upper 40's or low 50's that time of year. A 7mm at a minimum will be needed. The temps fall pretty hard once you get past October, it doesn't need to freeze to get into the 40's and 50's and those are the normal temps about that time of year.

Nope, a 3/2 is a summer only wetsuit, or warm water. It's not for diving inland water bodies, even in the summer it gets cold down deep and that wetsuit is not enough. People used to think I was tough when I'd dive 42 degree water in a 7mm, if you'd do 50 in a 3/2 I'll hand you the honor.

Look at your first post, you said it was 50 below the thermocline and that was in July, that's 3 months after April. It's going to be so cold that if you had any doubts as to what cold is you would know it in April. Trust me, April there is 7mm or drysuit territory.

I've been sticking to my guns and the promise I made myself (after years of SAR night/freezing/zero vis dives) that I'll only dive in water warm enough for a 3/2 or a skin...then I up and find a dive buddy here in IL who wants to dive locally! :weirdlook:

She's moving away in the next year so I won't buy a 7 but I may rent one for the Spring dive...crap!

snagel
01-12-2008, 06:44
I think I understand, but why. There are a lot of great places to dive in the midwest. Granted its not the Santa Rosa Wall or the Devil's Throat. Yes, you need atleast a 7mm even during the summer if you plan on going deep. Why would you fight it? Why pass up some great diving and experience? Given the right suit, you can be warm and have a great time.

S. Nagel

Queen
01-12-2008, 08:00
I think I understand, but why. There are a lot of great places to dive in the midwest. Granted its not the Santa Rosa Wall or the Devil's Throat. Yes, you need atleast a 7mm even during the summer if you plan on going deep. Why would you fight it? Why pass up some great diving and experience? Given the right suit, you can be warm and have a great time.

S. Nagel
I find wearing a 7mm restricting and uncomfortable so I tend to limit my local diving to summer when it's warmer. I've been diving for around 30 years now and it's one of several hobbies I have...I try to do them all when I can get peak enjoyment. :smiley20:

cummings66
01-12-2008, 11:03
I understand where you're coming from. For me it's an addiction and I couldn't dive just when it's warm or on vacation. For me I've got to dive more often than that, and that leads to some poor vis dives as well as great dives. But they're all in the central US and all are cold down deep, even in the Summer.

To be honest I love the things I see in our lakes, sure pretty fish would be nice, but I think topography is nice too and we have that in spades. Rent the 7mm, take a buddy heater and shelter, bring some hot water in a cooler and you should be ok in April in a 7mm.

snagel
01-12-2008, 12:18
S. Nagel[/quote]
I find wearing a 7mm restricting and uncomfortable so I tend to limit my local diving to summer when it's warmer. I've been diving for around 30 years now and it's one of several hobbies I have...I try to do them all when I can get peak enjoyment. :smiley20:[/quote]

I understand and yes 7mm are restricting and uncomfortable for me as well. Especially, when you put a hooded vest underneath. I have learned to live with it and it has gotten better. But, recently went to a drysuit and hopefully that will make things even that much better. Last year I didn't even think about diving Dec-Feb, but now that has opened up with the drysuit.

I'm with Cummings, it's an addiction for me - stronger than heroin, but I've never been an heroin addict just from what I hear and have seen. I certanily understand having more than one hobby and it all keeps you busy. Just for me, my #1 hobby is diving and will rationalize anything to make a dive trip. I wonder if there is a support group for this addiction?

S. Nagel

cummings66
01-12-2008, 14:16
It's a bit funny to say this, but a drysuit is more restrictive while I'm squeezed than my 7mm wetsuit is. I honestly feel with my 7mm wetsuit that I'm nearly naked, I don't feel it. Of course my 3mm wetsuit is very easy to get along with but I rarely use it. I don't use the 7mm much either, mostly Project Aware cleanup dives and such.

Queen
01-12-2008, 15:18
I had the addiction like you guys have back when I first started diving, hell back then I'd dive in a mud puddle if I could find one deep enough. :D

I'm glad you're still heavily into the sport. :smiley20:

cummings66
01-12-2008, 15:45
I know a lake near Columbia that all but qualifies as a mud puddle if you're interested? I know a fair one as well.

snagel
01-13-2008, 06:28
I too hope that when I have 30 years experience in diving that I have the same passion for it that I have today. But, this will put me in my 70's. I guess really I hope I still have passion for anything at that time. I've met a few 70 year old divers and I hope I'm one of them when the day comes.

S. Nagel

Queen
01-13-2008, 08:27
Hey cummings66, happy birthday!! :cake:

cummings66
01-13-2008, 09:03
Thank you for the birthday wish, I'm a young pup at 42 and to be honest so far I feel better now than I did when I was 41. The racquet ball and swimming every other day has made a good change in me and I like the results. Haven't lost weight but I feel better.

snagel
01-13-2008, 09:13
Happy Birthday, Cummings. Do you have a Birthday Dive planned today?

S. Nagel

cummings66
01-13-2008, 09:29
Maybe, something I ate disagreed with me, I think, I hope anyhow. (I thought the slaw had a twang to it but assumed it was the brand) I asked Greg to call me this afternoon and if I'm feeling better I'm diving, if not then the 19th. The dive plan is for this afternoon at Eugene if I'm up to it, that's what we've been working at all week anyhow.

Rotten luck, I had plans to fly my plane this morning, swim after that, then dive, then the party. We'll see how I progress.

Thanks.

snagel
01-13-2008, 10:43
Well, that sucks. Hope you get to feeling better.

S. Nagel