PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Dan member?

Cichlid
07-22-2007, 15:57
Are you a Dan member? Why or why not? I've been looking into it, but was curious about your guys' thoughts.

przeor
07-22-2007, 16:20
Yep, aside from the snazzy magazine, the benefits speak for themselves.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://diversalertnetwork.org/membership/handbook.pdf (http://divers&#097;lertnetwork.org/membership/handbook.pdf)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>In your case, lake pleasant is over fifty miles away from your perm. residence so you'd get the benefits when diving there as well. For the small cost per year it's worth it to me. Same reason you buy other insurance, you hope you never need it, but you pay it so when it happens you have it. </DIV>

TommyB
07-22-2007, 16:27
Yes,
and carry the Family member insurance from Dan.

Illini_Fan
07-22-2007, 16:45
I have the family membership + the DAN insurance. Small price to pay for the piece-of-mind.

the gooch
07-22-2007, 18:19
Not yet, but just received information from them in the mail last week that I had requested. I will definitely be carryong coverage for my wife and I.

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 19:12
I have Dan and will continue to renew each year. Itis peace of mind.

jacewindu
07-22-2007, 19:24
i don't have DAN - it seems like all the people i've been diving with haven't had it either... oh well

rktman26
07-22-2007, 20:46
Not a member- Active duty military, so pretty much everything is covered.

dmdoss
07-22-2007, 21:28
Nope.

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 21:54
It is one of those things that you have and hope you never need. I don't mind wasting money on this.

medic001918
07-22-2007, 21:56
Yup, I'm a member. And I carry their insurance. It's a good safety margin, and many private insurances will only provide limited coverage of a diving accident.
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>

PlatypusMan
07-22-2007, 21:59
<div> Same reason you buy other insurance, you hope you never need it, but you pay it so when it happens you have it. </div>

I'm of the same opinion; for the costs involved, better to err on the side of caution when it comes to dive insurance.

Besides, you can play a fun 'what if?' game involving the DAN insurance and various outlandish scenarios while diving--kind of like the insurance programs they always tried to sell your folks through school when you were a kid.

Moxie
07-22-2007, 23:30
I looked at it and don't see anything that my regular insurance doesn't cover. Then again between my province health care and my work stuff, I think I'm covered to the gills.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Perhaps I'm missing something on this. Any Canucks have it on top of provincial health?</DIV>

PlatypusMan
07-23-2007, 00:07
I looked at it and don't see anything that my regular insurance doesn't cover. Then again between my province health care and my work stuff, I think I'm covered to the gills.
<div></div>
<div>Perhaps I'm missing something on this. Any Canucks have it on top of provincial health?</div>

Does your regular and/or work insurance extend to outside your borders?

Mine doesn't--at least not easily. That's why I have DAN on top of my work stuff.

94GTStang
07-23-2007, 00:35
Nope, I don't have it. Never looked into it much.

mwhities
07-23-2007, 08:45
DAN member here.

Michael

WaterRat
07-23-2007, 09:07
DAN member as well. Peace of mind like the others said.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

tc_rain
07-23-2007, 09:35
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Perhaps I'm missing something on this. Any Canucks have it on top of provincial health?</DIV>

Does your regular and/or work insurance extend to outside your borders?

Mine doesn't--at least not easily. That's why I have DAN on top of my work stuff.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
Most health insurance policies will cover you no matter where you are at but they do have limitations as far as the amounts. If you need to be air lifted to a chamber somewhere, you will end up paying part of that expense. Also in some countries, they may require verification of your insurance provider. DAN insurance speeds the process up. They cover the expenses that your insurance will not. DAN is not primary coverage; they are secondary coverage that covers what your insurance does not. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /></DIV>

ertechsg
07-23-2007, 12:58
I use Dive Assure they are a primary coverer without using my other ins group.

DUnder
07-23-2007, 13:23
Yes I carry DAN Insurance.

DougNR
07-23-2007, 14:21
i don't have DAN - it seems like all the people i've been diving with haven't had it either... oh well
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Having supplemental dive insurance whether from DAN or someplace else is your choice. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>You may want to call your regular medical insurance provider and run some dive accident scenarioes past them. Do they cover a trip in the chamber? Do diving activities in general fall under some definition of risky activity that may actually reduce your benefits?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-23-2007, 14:28
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Yes, I am a DAN member and have been under coverage for every OW dive I have ever made (excluding OW training).

BSea
07-23-2007, 14:31
I have Dive Assure. That's what is pushed throught my LDS. Most of all it's peace of mind. If you go on trips, you are crazy not to have some form of diving insurance. I'm not sure about military personnel, but for the general public it should be almost the next thing you buy after getting certified. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the average diving vacation. Not to mention the cost of the gear.

Queen
07-23-2007, 14:38
I was a DAN member a long time ago but not anymore.

fire diver
07-23-2007, 16:52
I should be. I've been putting it off for a long time now. So far it's always just been me. Now my daughter is getting certified, I need to get the family plan.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

cummings66
07-23-2007, 18:43
I have DAN insurance, wouldn't dive without it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hey fire diver, I thought your wife was a diver? I could be confusing you with somebody else, but didn't you stay at the KOA with her a couple years back for a Beaver Lake DUI rally?</DIV>

lucidblue
07-23-2007, 18:54
I got DAN insurance right before leaving for my first dive vacation. Figured it was better than to have it than not, especially since it is reasonably priced.

thesmoothdome
07-23-2007, 22:46
DAN insured here. DAN's a great bunch of knowledgable folks. A chamber ride is too expensive to chance without insurance.

Dive-aholic
07-24-2007, 03:30
DAN here, also. It's a small price to pay, especially considering the amount of diving I do, as well as the type of diving.

DiveCaptain
07-24-2007, 11:50
Don't have any other than regular insurance from work. Looking into DAN but didn't know about Dive Assure? Do they offer about the same as DAN, just another competitor? Everyone I have talked to at the LDS always talk about DAN. Just started looking and I guess I have a lot more research to do.

ertechsg
07-24-2007, 12:26
Unless I'm mistaken Danacts as a secondaryinsuranceand dive assure(which is what I use ) is a primary insurance. Not sure about DAN but some plans on dive assure cover non diving...equipment...bail( not that IPLAN on using it)coverage. Think it was $170 for wife and myself for yr.

tc_rain
07-24-2007, 12:46
Ertechsq is correct. Dive Assure is primary coverage and Dan is secondary. Depending on what plan you carry with Dan, they will cover dive equipment up to $2500. Use this link to campare the different Dan memberships.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp (https://www.divers&#097;lertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp)</DIV>

wxboy911
07-24-2007, 13:45
I am a DAN member and I have the insurance-I always thought that if I had it I would never use it...but if for some reason I went without it I would have a need for it. My wife was a lot happier when I got it as well-she tends to worry a little too much.

fire diver
07-24-2007, 19:39
I have DAN insurance, wouldn't dive without it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hey fire diver, I thought your wife was a diver? I could be confusing you with somebody else, but didn't you stay at the KOA with her a couple years back for a Beaver Lake DUI rally?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Nope, not me. Must be thinking of a different fire diver.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I AM NOW A DAN MEMBER! I joined last night. Family plan, with premium coverage for myself and my daughter. We are the only divers in the family right now.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

scubatexastony
07-24-2007, 21:11
NAUI has joined with DAN for their non professional insurance needs, but I was a member of DAN long before that happened.

Check it out at NAUI.com and click insurance!

~tony

CompuDude
07-24-2007, 21:57
DAN member. Even if I'm covered elsewhere, I support what they stand for. They are one of the very few independent, non-military organizations doing serious research on diving medicine in a wide variety of areas. It's well worth the pittance per year they ask, and you even get a nifty magazine out of it!

linalou
07-25-2007, 12:24
yeah, but has anyone actually USED DAN? Dive Assure?

CompuDude
07-25-2007, 12:44

Not personally, but I know people who have. One of my instructors had an undeserved hit three years ago. $6k in bills including the helicopter ride to the chamber and the chamber fees. Didn't pay a dime out of pocket.

loudgonzo
07-25-2007, 16:07
DAN member here, I agree with CompuDude, even if your already covered to the gills, I believe in what they do...a small fee to support a big cause.

Foo2
07-25-2007, 16:41
DAN rocks! I hope I never have to use it, but glad it's there!

TAH 73
07-25-2007, 17:40
Not yet but it's on the To Do list.
<DIV></DIV>

57ChevyGreg
07-26-2007, 03:24
Family DAN plan here. When diving I compare it to the old AMEX comercial- "Don't leave home without it". Also their trip insurance costs are great

comet24
07-26-2007, 08:23
Yes Dan here. As someone else pointed out Dan does a lot of good in the dive community. If I ever go with a different dive insurance I will still carry a Dan membership.

cutter77
07-31-2007, 00:39
DAN member from the get-go.....but I don't know much about good trip cancellation insurance (specifically for hurricanes).?????? Does Dan offer that too....any suggestions?

thesmoothdome
07-31-2007, 00:48
Dan's trip insurance for my PNG trip was quoted at $900.00. That seems awfully high for what will be a 10-12k trip.

bubbles
07-31-2007, 08:00
Yup. Despite the bad PR of the last year or so, their service is great, their intentions are excellent, their mag is enlightening, their courses are fantastic (took the dive medic class last year and LOVED IT) and their insurance gives me peace of mind. Have been to headquarters and the hyperbaric chambers and it is a happening place. Even got a fun dive in the chamber (notice I said FUN). DAN is an awesome organization.

Ajuva
07-31-2007, 08:07
Dan member since I qualified and will stay that way!

Vercingetorix
07-31-2007, 08:13
DAN member from the get-go.....but I don't know much about good trip cancellation insurance (specifically for hurricanes).?????? Does Dan offer that too....any suggestions?
Travel insurance may be purchased from your friendly neighborhood travel agent when you book your travel. Very, VERY cheap. It will cover pre-existing conditions, unforseen things like death in the family, trip interruption, and emergency medical evacuation (this last one may cost in excess of $10,000 from foreign countries; happened to a client of mine).

Oh...and I run a travel agency.

Finally, I'm a DAN member since starting to dive (Jan 07). Their second tier diving insurance is very reasonable and comprehensive.

frankc420
07-31-2007, 08:42
Yep, I'm a DAN member, why? Because that extra little bit of insurance is another blanket of false security that I can fall back on :)

JGrimm
07-31-2007, 08:47
DAN here, too -

I don't mind paying their minimal premiums, given that the rest goes back into research on the hobby that I love. It's another factor to consider - between the trip insurance, the /medical/ supplimental (most medical insurance DOES NOT cover even a boat accident if there's SCUBA gear around - DAN does)... and the fact that my wife sells insurance and bullied me into it early on, when she got certified... I've never had a regret.

And - as technically complex as diving can be around here, I"ve seen it kick in on one occasion. That does a lot to make a fellow willing to shell out a few bucks a year.

Grimm

No Misses
07-31-2007, 09:26
DAN Preferred Plan. it is cheap insurance for what you get.

P.S. I just completed the DAN O2 provider course and have purchased a DAN O2 kit for my boat. I hope that I never need it. But, it is nice to know that it is there.

quarrydiver
08-14-2007, 20:07
ditto, small price to pay

crosseyed95
08-14-2007, 20:43

I know of 2 people that ended up in the chamber. One had DAN and one didn't. One person paid $10K out of pocket and the other paid zip..

nferra2
08-14-2007, 20:47
I can't find the prices on the website for memberships and the family insurance. I saw individual prices, but no family prices for insurance, and I did not see a single price for memberships.

Centerius
08-14-2007, 20:54
I am a DAN member and have DAN insurance. I hope I never need it. I also like the fact that my money goes towards research in diving that will eventually come back to help me, you, and future divers. The gear insurance is cheap, too, and lets me rest easy in the case if my gear gets stolen I'm not out a few thousand dollars.

fire diver
08-14-2007, 20:58
Yeah, I don't know why they don't post them up front. you have to go through the sign-up pages, and click all your options until you get to the payment page. Then you can find out what it costs. but you could always just close out the window at that point, you haven't paid for anything yet.

A family DAN membership is $44 a year. The Insurance is extra. I have the prefered plan for me and my daughter at $70 each.

Idividual dan membership is $25

Master level insurance is $35, standard insurance is $25

The thought of being financially raped in a 2nd or 3rd world country for medical treatment makes the cost of DAN almost nothing.

Hope this helps.

WV Diver
08-14-2007, 21:00
Yep, I sure am.

MEL-DC Diver
08-14-2007, 21:06
Absofreakinglutely have DAN

BuzzGA
08-14-2007, 22:23
Wouldn't go near the water without it and I'm working my way towards their DES certification and some of their on-line courses are interesting.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-14-2007, 22:24
Im thinking about it.

TxScubaBear
08-15-2007, 07:25
Don't think about it- DO IT...I had free coverage while in OW training (our whole class did), once I got my CERT, the DAN website was my first stop; our instructor explained that the average "door slam" on a chamber is about $7000; Dan runs about $99 a year, which would you rather pay? It's for a good cause, you can call virtually any time with any question, they are constantly researching, yeah- I'll continue to support them if I do 2 dives or 20 a year. Plus, like the NY member mentioned, peace of mind for the spouse for sure!

cgvmer
08-15-2007, 07:33
I am a DAN member and so are all members of my family

ParrotHead
08-15-2007, 07:36
Got Dan? Youbetcha - Bought it right after my OW cert - before any of my gear.

Zenagirl
08-15-2007, 08:39
I would never dive without my DAN membership backing me up. After watching a guy get airlifted from our liveaboard in the Bahamas to a Miami hospital, I was triple glad I had DAN. It can happen to any of us at any time for any reason, and the idea of being slapped with a $10,000 airlift charge makes my toes curl. I definitely don't want to have to rely on my primary insurance to cover everything 100% because I know if there's a loophole, they'll find it.

georoc01
08-15-2007, 08:47
Given the money I spend on my dive trips, I can't see diving without DAN insurance.

mwhities
08-15-2007, 08:54
I hope to never use it but, I'm going to see if they have a "bulk" discount. Maybe if I buy in 5 or 10 year blocks, they'll give a discount. Even if they wouldn't, I'm still thinking about doing it so I wouldn't have to worry with it.

I just feel more at ease now than what I did when I was diving without it. It might've improved my SAC rate. ;)

Michael

torrey
08-15-2007, 08:55
DAN's too cheap to risk not having.

dallasdivergirl
08-15-2007, 08:55
I had DAN with my ex husband and didn't realize that it had expired. They were very good & help me set up an new account.

I deal in workman's comp insurance on an almost daily basis and from the headaches I get from that I know that my regular work insurance would never touch some of the stuff that DAN takes care of.

uzzell20
08-15-2007, 09:03
never had it but ive been considering it, im glad someone has already asked this question though, i think ill be purchasing it soon

unclepooty
08-15-2007, 09:25
First money spent after OW. Instructor and DMs of class all recomended it. Even bought it for teen friend of son's before trip. But I think it's a personal decision.

Rockhound76
08-15-2007, 09:46
YES.

I've also used the services of their medical professionals to "correct" the misdiagnosis of an ENT.

On an ascent from a deep free dive, I suffered severe pain and disorientation. It resolved just below the surface, but I was left with a full feeling in my ear, ringing (tinnitus) and a mild hearing loss.

I did not feel that I had blown my eardrum, and after a single, careful "test dive", I resumed diving almost immediately. Over the next few days I made several uneventful scuba dives (to 100' +) with no problems. In fact, my feeling of fullness and the ringing would disappear at depth, providing a bit of relief.

After the vacation, I visited an ENT doc to see when these conditions might improve. After a series of tests, he concluded that I had severe, permanent nerve-related hearing loss. When I explained the "dive" accident, he dismissed it and suggested I had a congenital defect (recognized in my 40's?) or a tumor (acoustic neuroma).

I called DAN and they put me in touch with a physician experienced in dive medicine. He suggested an MRI to rule out a tumor, but also suggested that the damage was from a perilymphatic fistula (oval window reverse blowout--forgive my bad spelling) and was (free) dive related. He called my ENT and sent him links to a series of papers on the subject.

My ENT was pleased with the help and impressed with DAN. The bad news was that my hearing loss was permanent, since it was too late to try hyperbaric oxygen (more than 3 days post trauma). The good news: I was cleared to dive again and my scuba forays after the incident did no harm.

The DAN physician later called me to see how I was doing and to get a recap of the details on what happened so he could make better notes.

I'm in the process of upgrading my plan, since my 14yr. old is now my dive buddy.

Vercingetorix
08-15-2007, 09:48
I'm a DAN member and have the Master insurance. It's cheap insurance for a lot of coverage.

Skinsfan1311
08-15-2007, 10:33
Yes I am a member, as my employers medical benefits are sketchy for treatment overseas......

Zenagirl
08-15-2007, 12:55
And don't forget that by being a member of DAN you're supporting on going dive research that can only benefit us all.

Also, just because you're a DAN member, doesn't mean you have DAN insurance, which you purchase separately.

torrey
08-15-2007, 13:40
On an ascent from a deep free dive, I suffered severe pain and disorientation. It resolved just below the surface, but I was left with a full feeling in my ear, ringing (tinnitus) and a mild hearing loss.

Do you still have the tinnitus? I actually got tinnitus in my left ear from a diving-related incident. After coming home from a Cozumel trip a couple of years ago, I had a mild infection which kept causing wax build-up in my left ear. The infections come along every once in a while, and are usually gone in a week, so I decided to ride it out. To alleviate the problem, I got an ear-cleaning kit where you soften the wax with a solution and then squirt water in the ear to break it up. I managed to squirt a little too hard and tore the thin covering over my inner ear. The doctor could see a little bit of scar tissue on examination. I still have the tinnitus and assume I will have it for life.

Rockhound76
08-16-2007, 11:31
I still have mild tinnitus,but only notice it when I "think about it". The loud whistles,pops and clicks I heard originally have settled into a mild ringing.

My hearing has improved slightly, but I still can't hear over 6000hz in that ear. Not too bad, tho'....

I agree with the statement that supporting DAN supports much needed research. Even before I "needed" the insurance (my company once provided me comparable coverage) I was a non-insured "member" of DAN. These days, I have the full coverage.

MtnDiver
08-16-2007, 13:04
DAN member here and we carry the insurance as well. As others have said...it's just easier not having to worry about what an accident would cost. Living in Colorado, we don't get to dive much, but even for a couple times a year it's well worth it....CHEAP insurance....

JCAT
08-16-2007, 14:10
Another DAN member here. I support what they do 100%

Cheddarchick
08-16-2007, 17:25
Yup, me and the big guy...Also members

finflippers
08-16-2007, 23:40
DAN member here and I could not imagine diving with out it.

The price is well worth the piece of mind you get having such great insurance backing you up.

rubberduck
08-17-2007, 09:50
Yes, I've been a member since I started to dive.

JugglingMonkeys
08-18-2007, 09:51
what tremendous recommendations!

I'm joining ASAP.

plot
08-18-2007, 11:08
i plan on signing up now that i know it's like $90 something a year for the membership + insurance

Buoyant1
08-18-2007, 23:20
I'm assuming that I WILL be at the end of the year when my PADI insurance expires (and their company isn't renewing the policies)

tj gold
08-19-2007, 10:57
I have it. Better safe than sorry. God forbid i need deco. way too expensive and the insurance is cheap enough

subsur
08-19-2007, 11:34
i don't have one but thinking of getting one only because of upcoming trip to Bonaire.

tedtim
08-19-2007, 11:44
I have been a DAN member for a number of years. It is worth it to me, although I have not had to use their services.

Also took a few DAN courses over the past years.

Miked
08-19-2007, 13:55
I have it -preferred plan-and I have used it.

I had a DCS/spinal episode a few years ago, in Grand Cayman, and while my primary insurance covered most of the expenses, the DAN insurance covered:

some medical costs not covered by my primary insurance;
2 new plane tickets home;
most of the extra 3 days at the hotel (Drs. orders);
the cost of shipping our luggage- including gear- home (again, Drs. orders- "no lifting/ carrying/pulling luggage" in writing)

A total of approximately $2400.

I'll have the insurance as long as I continue to dive.

take care,

Mike

shotthebreeze
08-19-2007, 13:58
I got my certification card and called DAN immediately for insurace. It's the only way to go...

Xspect
08-19-2007, 21:55
After reading this tread I will be joining DAN bright and early monday morning.

dmdoss
08-19-2007, 22:14
Still not. But ive been thinking about it.

frenchy07
08-19-2007, 22:25
Membered up a couple weeks after becoming certified. Family membership at the time even though my wife hadn't completed her cert. Cheap peace of mind and I hope I never have to use it for any reason.

brandon
08-19-2007, 23:55
Had it since I started diving. Never used it, but it's nice knowing that its there if I ever do need it.

-B.

sidneydiver
08-20-2007, 00:09
Yes and I've got insurance through them too.

foo
08-20-2007, 01:40
Our entire family of 5 divers are all members of Dan, and covered by the insurance. Foo3 had no other health insurance for a while, so DAN ins. was especially important for her.

Texas Girl
08-20-2007, 07:39
We also have a DAN family membership with insurance. Wouldn't dive without it.

AggieDad
08-20-2007, 07:53
Besides having a really cool name, I and my wife are both members. She doesn't dive but snorkels. The wife of the owner of the dive company I use in Cozumel is the chamber Doctor. Spoke with her and they require either Dan or something similar and regular insurance companies ususally do not cover chamber rides up front. She said they will not negotiate with the insurance company so you had better have a credit card with at least $10K available credit or they will refer you to the morgue :smiley11:

DAN insurance is really very cheap insurance. As we say in our business, the only time you have too much fuel is when you are on fire. You cannot have too much coverage when you are laying in the bottom of the boat on the way in.

Dan Drew

JugglingMonkeys
08-20-2007, 11:58
can you start out with a personal plan and then upgrade it to a family plan later in the year?

Soonerwink
08-20-2007, 14:28
Not a member, but that is only because my health insurance will cover me on any dive accident including flights if medically neccessary. My insurance is through Teamsters, I'm a UPS driver.

superkingkong
08-21-2007, 18:40
Another DAN member here...

georoc01
08-21-2007, 19:41
I heard a story recently about a dive trip where one of the people got bent on the first day. Three members of group then immediately went and joined online. Five days later they pulled and late night drinking and dove the next day and needed the insurance.

If you do dive trips, its a small price to pay.

H2O Skier
08-21-2007, 20:12
Yes (DAN Members + the Preferred Insurance), although not until recently. My wife and I are active divers and probably should have had it all along. It's a small price to pay for the peace of mind. Not to mention it supports a cause near to dear to all of us.

- Dave.

divnlite
08-22-2007, 01:18
Yes, definitely.
We travel all over the place, diving, diving, diving.
Its a must have in my book.

gtjason2000
08-22-2007, 08:22
Do you have to be a member of DAN and have insurance to get medical attention during a dive accident? I think you can still use DAN even if you are not a member it just will cost a lot if your medical insurance doesn't cover dive accidents. I tend to self insure and am prepared to pay the money in the very unlikely case that I screw up horribly while diving. That said I am probably going to get it eventually as I am becoming a "professional diver". Too bad I think the gear insurance is extra. I trust myself to be a good diver but I don't trust the airlines to not lose my very expensive dive gear.

scubasavvy
08-22-2007, 17:50
Yessir...I'm a proud member of DAN. Nobody can beat their rates on the types of insurance they do. The have an incredibly friendly staff and an overall great experience.

porsche060
08-24-2007, 09:17
Do you need to be a member to get their insurance?

Griff
08-24-2007, 09:25
Do you need to be a member to get their insurance?

Yep!

You can take care of it all with one visit to their website.

jmb
08-24-2007, 09:30
Yes, I carry DAN insurance and although I've been fortunate enough never to have needed it yet, I'm glad to know it's there if I ever do.

Damnam
08-25-2007, 21:47
As most people have said it's that extra peace of mind if something goes wrong. I and all my mates use DAN.

Bill22
08-27-2007, 06:27
I'm active duty military and do not need the insurance coverage, but I still joined DAN. I just felt that they are good organization that works on behalf of the entire dive community. Small price to pay to support what they do for all of us.

RikRaeder
08-27-2007, 06:35
I joined because I hear that a chamber visit can be VERY expensive. Of course I don't PLAN to have an accident, but I figure if I do, I don't want to pay for the chamber.

cgvmer
08-27-2007, 07:08
Yes, you need to be a member to purchase the insurance. The combined price is still a good deal.

chinacat46
08-27-2007, 07:58
I'm a member and hope to never use their insurance but you can do everything right and still take a DCS hit so it never hurts to be prepared. Don't leave home without it.

fire diver
08-27-2007, 08:09
I'm active duty military and do not need the insurance coverage, but I still joined DAN. I just felt that they are good organization that works on behalf of the entire dive community. Small price to pay to support what they do for all of us.

Bill, one thing to consider about the DAN insurance. If you go on a vacation (ok, "leave" in your case) in another country and get injured, the local hospital won't give a rat's butt about your tri-care. They want cash. DAN insurance will cover you no matter what country you go to.

FD

Capt Hook
08-27-2007, 09:38
Yep, have been for years.
A little "piece of mind" thing.

Bill22
08-27-2007, 10:26

Bill, one thing to consider about the DAN insurance. If you go on a vacation (ok, "leave" in your case) in another country and get injured, the local hospital won't give a rat's butt about your tri-care. They want cash. DAN insurance will cover you no matter what country you go to.

FD

Thanks, I appreciate your concern, but according to Tricare this is not true. I would be curious why you think we wouldn't be covered? Tricare tells me we are covered. When I take leave in a foreign country, they provide a phone number specific for that area. If anyone needs to call they WILL authorize care including evacuation (same as DAN does). In an emergency pre-authorization is not needed. Any country, anywhere in the world we are covered.

It might help to understand what I have to do whenever I take leave in a foreign country. Of course, I have to get permission first. In order to do that I have to do an "Individual Force Protection Plan". I have to provide contact numbers, where I'm staying, emergency numbers and addresses for things like the nearest hospital, police station, local embassy or consulate. I have to provide a written plan for what I will do in the event of a terrorist attack, a medical emergency, police emergency, or natural disaster (earthquake, tsunami, typhoon, etc...). I am required to read and print out a copy of any travel warnings issued by the Department of State. I am required to visit the CDC website as well and include any health concerns. I am required to receive a brief on the specific country that I am traveling to by a Force Protection Officer from my command including any off-limits areas. As an example, I'm not allowed to travel to the southern Philippines because extremist groups like Abu Sayaf are active in that area. All this information goes into a packet which has to be approved BEFORE my leave request can be approved. A copy goes with me on leave so that I have access to all this information while I am there. I am specifically required to maintain adequate funds for return travel, but nowhere am I required to maintain funds for medical emergencies, because I'm covered for that.

I understand that some hospitals in other countries do want cash up front or a guarantee (I have travelled considerably). If they want cash from a US active duty military member, then I think they will want cash from a DAN member too ;-) If they will accept a guarantee from DAN, which after all is a private organization (and a small one at that in comparison), then they will accept a promise of payment from the United States Government which is who Tricare represents.

There are other reasons for us to have DAN insurance (trip cancellation, interruption, lost baggage, loss of diving equipment, travel assistance etc...) but medical coverage is not one of them. They may not know what Tricare is, but they will recognize my active duty ID card and they will know that I belong to the United States government and they will get paid. That active duty ID card carrys more weight than any insurance card possibly could.

Another military member posted on here also stating the same thing, that we don't need the medical. I was responding to his post basically saying I thought DAN was a great organization that deserved our support. That's the reason I joined DAN so it's a moot point with me since I have DAN insurance. I didn't join because of the 'need' for medical insurance though;-)

fire diver
08-27-2007, 10:47
Well, there's an education for me! Never knew tri-care operated like that. My experiences with it has all been CONUS, and they have been like any other insurance company.

Sucks that you have to jump through so many hurdles to take a trip.

FD

ScaredSilly
08-27-2007, 10:53
Basic member for 15 years now but was donating money back before (1984) there was a membership.

I do not utilize the insurance as my health care will cover a chamber trip - something I always check on. Also it is a good idea to check on other things like foreign travel as others have mentioned.

Bill22
08-27-2007, 11:03
Well, there's an education for me! Never knew tri-care operated like that. My experiences with it has all been CONUS, and they have been like any other insurance company.

Sucks that you have to jump through so many hurdles to take a trip.

FD

I went to the Tricare rep here and asked them specifically, about diving, evacuation, and recompression, because I wanted to make sure. When I told them where I was planning my dive trips, they gave me a number that is good for the entire Pacific.

Yeah it does suck. It's generally been an exercise in frustration trying to find all the information. When I went Thailand, I probably spent two weeks jumping through hoops before they finally said okay. That was the first time and I was really angry about it. The frustrating thing there was they would say okay you need this. I would go and do "that". Come back and then they would say "okay you need this too", and I would go and do it and then they would come up with something else. Not many people took leave other than back to the states while I was in Bahrain. I think the Chief I was dealing with hadn't dealt with many "overseas" leave requests. It was normally a one year tour. You got free leave if you extended and most people used that to go home. But finally, I calmed down and said, "whatever they want". It's a little easier now, since they started up the website with the online forms, but I still have to get all the information together. Only difference is that now they email the whole plan once it's approved and I print it out. Then I attach any State Department Travel Warnings, copy of my page 13 showing I've had the force protection brief, etc.... Attach it to my leave request and send it up. At least this next trip will be back to the Philippines so I already have the info :-)

somewhereinla
08-27-2007, 11:20
I think there are a bit of confusion about what DAN is and does. DAN is not an insurance agency, it is a medical and research organisation which provide among other thing a hotline with extremely knowledgable dive medecine doctors. What DAN does if an emergency happen is take care of all the paperworks needed to get help to you right away and get treatment in an hyperbaric chamber. Your medical insurance will end up paying for the bill, or most of it anyway, but DAN will facilitate the process and convince your insurance that as an emergency the are legaly responsible for the bill. DAN will cover whatever your insurance doesn't pay.

If you are a diver and do not have a DAN membership you are very foolish.

Bill22
08-27-2007, 11:57
I think there are a bit of confusion about what DAN is and does. DAN is not an insurance agency, it is a medical and research organisation which provide among other thing a hotline with extremely knowledgable dive medecine doctors. What DAN does if an emergency happen is take care of all the paperworks needed to get help to you right away and get treatment in an hyperbaric chamber. Your medical insurance will end up paying for the bill, or most of it anyway, but DAN will facilitate the process and convince your insurance that as an emergency the are legaly responsible for the bill. DAN will cover whatever your insurance doesn't pay.

If you are a diver and do not have a DAN membership you are very foolish.

That's all true... but in the event of a diving emergency DAN will help you even if you are not a member. This is why I believe that the diving community should support them.

DAN will still help make arrangements for transport, recompression, etc... The problem will be PAYING for it. If you don't have insurance or have the wrong insurance especially if traveling outside the US you may be faced with paying out of pocket and possibly not being reimbursed. You could also get stuck because in some places they may refuse to treat you without payment or an acceptable guarantee of payment. As you said DAN is not an insurance agency, but you can purchase insurance through them and that insurance is accepted in many places throughout the world.

scubafreak
09-03-2007, 20:40
I signed up yesterday

Capt Hook
09-03-2007, 20:55
Yes, family membership plus insurance.

Subaqua
09-04-2007, 14:11
I'm also a DAN member. Hope though that I'll never need it, but I prefer to have it just in case.

Harshal
09-04-2007, 15:34
No Not a DAN member, but have insurance from Life Assurance from AIG.

Bring the Payne
09-16-2007, 00:02
Wow there has been some GREAT info on DAN in here! My health insurance covers most of what dan does but as many others have stated, they do some great things for diving and I want to support their cause. Consider me a dan member + preferred ins. tomorrow. Hopefully I never have to use it!!!

paintsnow
09-16-2007, 01:06
for 70 bucks a year its really cheap
and piece of mind is niece to have

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
09-16-2007, 04:40
I am a member and carry the preferred insurance. In my comparison DAN would be about the same $$ as Dive Assure for the same coverages. The difference is DAN gives you the options to put it all together and Dive Assure has it all wrapped up in a package. At least that's how I saw it. I like what DAN does and stands for so I'll probably always be with them.

Aussie
09-16-2007, 06:48
I am a DAN member.

Good peace of mind to know you can be flown out of remote places like PNG, Solomon Islands, etc etc where the nearest chamber is 4 hours flight away.

Aussie

chinacat46
09-16-2007, 07:53
I just rejoined as my membership ends on 9/30 the day I leave for 7 week trip. Wouldn't want to go on a 7 week dive trip with no dive insurance. Bad juju.

Bring the Payne
09-16-2007, 11:23
As promised Im an official DAN member with Preferred insurance as of 10 minutes ago!

bversteegh
09-16-2007, 12:37
I've been a DAN member for several years - since I dive in remote places, important to have the medevac coverage. Another advantage is immediate treatment - in some places, they may force you to come up payment in advance for treatment because they don't recognize your insurance company - but usually recognize DAN. I have been on some liveaboards in Indonesia that required proof of dive insurance as a condition of boarding.

One issue nobody has brought up - DAN was having some ISSUES with several Caribbean countries and their local chambers over the cost of treatment (DAN was paying reasonable and customary rates, and the chamber operators disputed the amount covered) - and they refused to honor DAN insurance. Might be worth a phone call to DAN before you leave for a trip to see if the closest chamber is one they are having trouble with. This was an issue last year, it may have been resolved by now.

Bill22
09-16-2007, 13:07
I've been a DAN member for several years - since I dive in remote places, important to have the medevac coverage. Another advantage is immediate treatment - in some places, they may force you to come up payment in advance for treatment because they don't recognize your insurance company - but usually recognize DAN. I have been on some liveaboards in Indonesia that required proof of dive insurance as a condition of boarding.

One issue nobody has brought up - DAN was having some ISSUES with several Caribbean countries and their local chambers over the cost of treatment (DAN was paying reasonable and customary rates, and the chamber operators disputed the amount covered) - and they refused to honor DAN insurance. Might be worth a phone call to DAN before you leave for a trip to see if the closest chamber is one they are having trouble with. This was an issue last year, it may have been resolved by now.

I know that is also true at Bikini Atoll due to the isolated location... they want to make sure that you'll be covered in the event of an accident.

The possibility is always there that the medical facility you end up at won't want to accept your insurance coverage no matter who your insurance carrier is. Probably not a bad idea to have additional coverage, since it increases the likliehood that someone you have insurance with will pay or that the medical facility will accept upfront.

I'm fortunate to have Tricare which is the insurance for active duty service members. When I travel they give me a number to call in case of emergency so they can authorize care, or arrange evacuation, same as DAN. I still have DAN though. I think they're a good organization to support and their trip insurance etc... could come in handy. Tricare will cover my medical expenses, but won't cover things like a plane ticket if I miss my flight because of an accident.

CompuDude
09-16-2007, 13:29

If you read this thread, you'd see that the issue was completely resolved last year. The entire mess lasted perhaps a month. DAN took care of all of the people affected. It was a short term PITA, I'm sure, but it wasn't DAN's fault, and it was all taken care of eventually. I think one issue in the years they've been around it not worth condemning them over.

bversteegh
09-17-2007, 00:58

If you read this thread, you'd see that the issue was completely resolved last year. The entire mess lasted perhaps a month. DAN took care of all of the people affected. It was a short term PITA, I'm sure, but it wasn't DAN's fault, and it was all taken care of eventually. I think one issue in the years they've been around it not worth condemning them over.

I missed it if it was already covered in the thread - I wasn't condemning DAN (I am a member), just the opposite. I was just bringing up an issue that can arise when you travel overseas - you are at the mercy of third world rules, which aren't always fair. It is worth a call to DAN to see if there are any issues in the area of the world you are travelling to before you leave; forewarned is forearmed:smiley20: I always call DAN before I go on a trip to remote places- to see where the closest chamber THEY recommend is, so I know where to ask to be taken in an emergency.

Which is why having Medevac coverage is such a good idea, it can save your life to get away from lousy coverage and to a real hospital.

divingmedic
09-17-2007, 11:55
Travel insurance may be purchased from your friendly neighborhood travel agent when you book your travel. Very, VERY cheap. It will cover pre-existing conditions, unforseen things like death in the family, trip interruption, and emergency medical evacuation (this last one may cost in excess of $10,000 from foreign countries; happened to a client of mine).

Oh...and I run a travel agency.

Finally, I'm a DAN member since starting to dive (Jan 07). Their second tier diving insurance is very reasonable and comprehensive.
Do not want to sound like I am dissing ya but I have never book anything from a travel agency. Buying travel insurance other wise is costly

RECDiver
09-17-2007, 14:25
Yes, I am a DAN member. I'm also a DAN Instructor-Trainer.

dutchman
09-19-2007, 21:48
Yep, card carrying member. Upgraded to the Master plan this year. Retired and hoping to dive a lot more.

jwdizney
09-19-2007, 21:58
We dizneys have the family membership.. great organization for the dive community!

gthomas
09-22-2007, 18:28
I read an article that DAN wasn't as reliable as it had been and have wonder also if I sould join.

dutchman
09-22-2007, 18:50
There are other alternatives out there. However, DAN is the best know provider. I wouldn't dive without some type of coverage. Your normal health insurance won't cover a lot of dive specific occurrences.

scubafreak
09-22-2007, 19:56
It boils down to the old saying " better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"

The DAN membership is less than the cost of a decent mask, surely your life is worth more?????

tbuckalew
09-23-2007, 19:26
I signed us up for the family plan when my wife and daughter finally got certified. I work in the healthcare industry and commonly work with insurance companies. You would be amazed at what an insurance company will not cover as it is considered "risky". Costs associated with a diving accident are also not covered (medical transport, air evac, decompression chambers, etc). DAN actually works with your insurance company as soon as they are notified (and they are available 24x7x365, not jus M-F). This insures you get immediate action and decisions without you, or your family, having to worry about the details.

Remember, you may be a good diver but you have to watch for the accident and other divers - that is why they are called accidents. For example, I just got home from a trip to Maui. I was diving Molokini and there was a guy in the group that semed to Kamakazi everyone whe the divemaster pointed something out. Just about slammed me hard into the reef at 80 feet from behind when I was taking my turn to look.

quasimoto
09-24-2007, 22:04
I am a DAN member and will be from now on.

For those that are looking at the gear insurance you might think again. A friend of mine got an insurance policy with State Farm that cover his gear including his camera even if it floods. I don't remember what he called it but it is a policy on its own, not a rider. The guy that sold it to him is a diver as well so I would think that he knows what he is talking about. I think it is $13 a year and it covers all his gear.

liuk3
09-24-2007, 22:10
Yes. I am a DAN member and believe in the organization and what it provides.

YellowfinKunkfish
09-25-2007, 18:17
Yes, both my husband and I are members. Accident insurance, and life insurance.

Rhonda

cudachaser
09-25-2007, 18:55
Yes I am a DAN member

DZorn00
09-26-2007, 11:48
Does any one know if you can have both DAN and Dive Assure? I am sure you can if you want to pay for both but will they work together. Assuming Someone does not have any insurance at all.

CompuDude
09-26-2007, 11:57
Does any one know if you can have both DAN and Dive Assure? I am sure you can if you want to pay for both but will they work together. Assuming Someone does not have any insurance at all.

I would imagine you can. DiveAssure is primary coverage, though, so they would pay first, and DAN would only cover what DA does not... if, that is, whatever it is DA does not cover is something covered by DAN. I would double check the policies pretty carefully, because I suspect the coverage overlaps so completely that DAN wouldn't end up paying anything, or hardly anything, so it's probably a waste to pay for both. Again, check the policies carefully, and decide if it's worth it for you.

wgt
09-26-2007, 16:33
When we think of DAN, we naturally tend to think of what it covers. However, the benefits of DAN do not end simply with coverage of expenses, as determined by the package purchased. For those who like to travel to remote destinations, it is important to note that DAN assists recompression facilities. This support does not come in the form of cash handouts to cover operating costs. However, DAN does try to assist with advice, technical matters, operational recommendations, training of personnel, etc. In addition to covering certain expenses related to emergency recompression therapy, for example, DAN effectively augments the availability, efficacy, and safety of care. In choosing to purchase DAN coverage, it is therefore important to remember that coverage for care is only one element of a larger equation. An increased probability that appropriate care will be available is also a notable benefit.

Bring the Payne
09-28-2007, 21:25
Wow this thread is long! Anyway, I finally got my DAN card in the mail today.

divingmedic
09-29-2007, 09:27
I was, but switched over to Dive Assure as they have better trip and equipment insurnace.

Charles R
09-29-2007, 09:30
But of course why would you not want to protect yourself?:smilie40:

beperkins
10-17-2008, 13:09
Of course, they are such a great organization, if you get tem for nothing else, at least get them for the trip insurance reason.

gNats
10-17-2008, 14:38
Just certified in September. I do not currently have DAN insurance (been to overwhelmed with work to sit through the paperwork) but do intend on joining before my trip in January to Bonaire.

CompuDude
10-17-2008, 15:04
Just certified in September. I do not currently have DAN insurance (been to overwhelmed with work to sit through the paperwork) but do intend on joining before my trip in January to Bonaire.

Paperwork? You send your address and $30-90 (or whatever) via the web form, and you're covered. It's not like a life insurance policy application. Depending on your typing speed and the speed of you internet connection, someone reasonable could fill everything out in well under 2 minutes.

beperkins
10-18-2008, 07:35
If you have any questions or need any assistance the DAN people travel around with DUI DOG days events, that's where I signed up for mine. They are often somewhere local to many of us.