PDA

View Full Version : Oronogo report for 11/24/07

DivingCRNA
11-25-2007, 09:14
Well, since I was the "special" (as in Special Olympics) diver for the day, I was asked to write the report of our adventures yesterday.:smiley5:

I met up with Dark Wolf and Lineman Larry at Oronogo at a little after 0900. I was a hair late because my DW had forgotten that I was going diving. :smiley11:

In self defense, I want to say that it was my first time ever diving doubles and I had added weight pouches to switch out of my weight belt. It was a gear intensive day for me. Air temp=37 F and water temp at depth = 50 F

I got there, got parked, got checked in and assembled my gear and then turned on my valves and heard hissing. Oh Crap. Both of my secondary regs were free flowing. The problem turned out to be the regs because my intermediate pressures were 1400 and did not climb. John (owner or Oronogo) rented me a reg for $2, and Lineman Larry loaned me a spare reg for a back-up. I had almost packed my spare set of "pool" regs, but did not because I had just had my Zeagles serviced!

I was getting pretty irritated with the gear situation and almost wanted to go home. I want to take the time to thank Lineman Larry and Dark Wolf for being patient and helping me get the gear situation sorted out to save a good day of diving.

So, after a fair bit of effing around with my gear we get in the water for a dive planned to test out my doubles (AL 80s, for those scoring at home). We dropped down to the 20 foot platform at the entry point and I proceeded to try to do valve drills. Trouble was I could not reach the valves. And I had my hose routing all messed up-my back-up reg hose came almost straight over my head. I was able to do fin pivots in my doubles and hover. After about 10 minutes of watching me mess around, Larry asked if we could head south, so we did.

We followed the top of the wall to the plane and then followed the line back. I thought my buoyancy control was terrible on the dive, even if swimming doubles around was not hard. Larry and Dark Wolf kindly said that it looked pretty good for my first dive in doubles.

We got out and I had to hump my doubles up the hill to adjust the bands and hose routing and Dark Wolf had to fill his indy doubles (you have GOT to quit smoking DW! :smilie39:) and Larry just had to lug his LP 85 up to change tanks.

We took an hour surface interval to warm up Dark Wolf (who was diving wet) and to adjust my gear. I moved the bands and rerouted the hoses with the help of Lineman Larry. Best part of doubles so far-not having to switch tanks because I had 100 cf of air left! We chatted, drank soda and ate some jerky from the deer that was unfortunate enough to wander within range of my rifle this year!

We then hit the water and dropped like rocks down the line to 92 feet and entered door #4 of the 4 doors after a discussion of who would lead. I was in the lead (DW second and Larry taking the rear) and somehow missed the line to the back room, but Larry did not. He flagged us down and we took a trip (with my Cavern cert) back to the Lincoln Divers sign for a photo op. The pics turned out great.

We exited door #2 and I thought I had signaled everyone that we were headed to the cabin cruiser so we headed to the line and to the cruiser. Larry went up the line b/c of air issues and I had not gotten the sign to him well and Dark Wolf and I burned some air on the cabin cruiser. All 3 of us met up on the line for a slow ascent and 5 minute safety stop. I breathed my tanks down to 800 pounds and was still negatively buoyant by a little (a good thing).

Dark Wolf was COLD when he got out. It was a good thing that I messed around with gear in the morning because I think we were all too cold for a third dive.

Larry skee-daddled home to avoid driving in the dark (something I hate too) and Dark Wolf and I had a burger before heading home.

All in all, a productive day of diving.

RoadRacer1978
11-25-2007, 09:25
Great report. Sounds like every little thing that could go wrong did, but you handled every situation. Glad it was a good day of diving. I am sure the next time with doubles will go better. Like everything else it just takes some practice to become proficient. Thanks for sharing the story. It was great. :)

medicdiver
11-25-2007, 15:48
Great report! I'm hoping to head there next weekend if I can get rid of my cold.:(

Soonerwink
11-25-2007, 16:01
Great report, thanks for sharing. I was hoping to get up there next weekend but it doesn't look good. I do plan on being there on New Years day.

texdiveguy
11-25-2007, 16:05
Thanks for sharing your days dive trek with us....its always a learning experience!

A group of us dove a bit father south in Oklahoma on Sat.,,,lt. wind/upper 30's/sleet-snow-rain.....water temp was around 57f., was a great day.

Keep up the diving and be safe.

Lineman Larry
11-25-2007, 16:34
In defense of CRNA, I am not sure that “special” is exactly how I would describe him. We all knew before we got to the site that he would be in doubles for the first time and that our first dive would be for skills. He did have issues though.

Both of his second stages were trying to freeflow. The problem was not “field adjustable” and we sure did not have a bench to tear into them. Probably a good thing as I have a habit of using a 3 pound hammer on things. We came up with some other second stages and he set up his rig.

His hose routing did not look good but how do you tell someone on their very first dive of their very first set of doubles that “you are doing it wrong”. Keep in mind; I only met him 30 minutes ago.

As CRNA stated, after the first dive he had some adjustments to make. We were diving now and so the atmosphere was not as “gear intense”. He adjusted his tank bands to get his tanks higher. We also rerouted his hoses and now they looked text book perfect. We were ready for our next dive. The equipment issues were under control and a permanent solution was in sight.

The second dive was “dive intense” as it should be. There were no equipment problems and CRNA’s rig looked good. The only issues we had were underwater and we solved these minor communication issues underwater. Great dive.

texdiveguy
11-25-2007, 16:40
He adjusted his tank bands to get his tanks higher.

So in adjusting his cylinder bands,,,,did that totally resolve his issue with reaching his valves?

DivingCRNA
11-25-2007, 16:46

So in adjusting his cylinder bands,,,,did that totally resolve his issue with reaching his valves?

Well, I can reach, but not comfortably. I am still thinking about that and how to fix it. How high can one go with your tanks!? It is a problem that needs some work.

DivingCRNA
11-25-2007, 16:54
His hose routing did not look good but how do you tell someone on their very first dive of their very first set of doubles that “you are doing it wrong”. Keep in mind; I only met him 30 minutes ago.

The second dive was “dive intense” as it should be. There were no equipment problems and CRNA’s rig looked good. The only issues we had were underwater and we solved these minor communication issues underwater. Great dive.

Larry,

If we had know each other better you would have know that you could say "Dude, your hoses look f'd up" and I would have been OK. But you never know, there are some crazy dudes out there that will punch ya over stuff like that! Divers tend to be touchy about that stuff.

I do appreciate the patience and help reasoning it out. Things look good now. I am waiting to hear from SCUBAtoys Larry about the regulator issue.

I am pretty laid back and try hard not to criticize other divers unless I think something is unsafe and I am part of it. I did not mind one bit that you were making suggestions. I have to admit that I am a little stubborn and have to make some of my own mistakes :smiley29: But it is a good way to learn. I frankly had looked at a weird hose routing diagram and the guy who did it must have shortened his hoses to make some of it work.

Great diving with you Larry!

texdiveguy
11-25-2007, 16:57

Well, I can reach, but not comfortably. I am still thinking about that and how to fix it. How high can one go with your tanks!? It is a problem that needs some work.

Not having seen your cylinder set-up that is questionable....from my own experience the cylinder height is only part of the eqaution of reaching those valves. Other factors include but not limited to--dry suit fit,,harness or bc fit and adjustment,,your physical ability to stretch back in this non natural position. I have found once resolving the cylinder height issue and remember this will effect diving trim also so go in small adjustments....then doing some basic arm stretches also helps!....keeping your arm in as close as possible to your body/head helps alot as you reach up and down/back. Ensuring your suit allows proper range of motion is a good thing. A trick to reaching those valves if you are still having a bit of trouble is to loosen your grouch strap a tad and if ness. even bending forward or lifting up on the cylinder bottom as you reach back to the valves. Remember that in a real life valve shut down it is not required that it be 'pretty' just effective. Practice each time you get in the water....it does get easier over time.

Lineman Larry
11-25-2007, 20:35
texdiveguy

I may have left the wrong impression that all issues were solved with moving his tanks up. As you pointed out, there are lots of things that come into play.

I thought there was significant difference between the two dives and that DivingCRNA made good progress in his quest of making the transition into doubles.

Lets ask him for a detailed report in about 20 dives from now. :smiley36:

Larry

texdiveguy
11-25-2007, 21:54
texdiveguy

I may have left the wrong impression that all issues were solved with moving his tanks up. As you pointed out, there are lots of things that come into play.

I thought there was significant difference between the two dives and that DivingCRNA made good progress in his quest of making the transition into doubles.

Lets ask him for a detailed report in about 20 dives from now. :smiley36:

Larry

Larry....that well could be the major issue for him/cylinder height...it was the most logical start and just one of the areas I would have given attention to also in the field--its nice you were along to offer the assistance and help....sounds like he really appreatated it....divers helping divers!!! Looks like with a few more dives on those doubles he will be a natural. Sounds like you guys had a good couple of dives....nothing better than winter diving to wake up the soul. You guys be safe and keep having fun this winter dive season. :-)

Dark Wolf
11-28-2007, 14:14
Nice report, CRNA.

We had two great dives, and all worked out well. There were some issues, but they were handled safely and without tempers flaring!! The last time that CRNA and I met at Oronogo it was my turn to have equipment problems. One thing after another! It happens, it is just a matter of when!

Equipment problems were handled, and between all of us....taken care of. We then proceeded to have two great dives.

I agree with Lineman Larry that CRNA is being too hard on himself! And also agree with CRNA that I HAVE to quit smoking!!

All told, problems were solved and we still managed to have two great dives while hanging out with good friends on the SI. Although the second dive was a little chilly there towards the end. CRNA ended up with a good looking rig, and the hose routing looked very nice. After looking at the pics, I spent a couple of hours working on my routing as well, and am much happier with the way things look now.

Thanks to Larry and CRNA for a great day of diving and problem solving, and great tasting jerky!! We will have to do it again soon.

DW

texdiveguy
11-28-2007, 14:34
And also agree with CRNA that I HAVE to quit smoking!!

After looking at the pics,..........

....and great tasting jerky!!

DW

Yea STOP smoking...bad deal...will kill you!!

Pictures...let see them!!

Jerky....ever guys treat!!!!

:)

Dark Wolf
11-28-2007, 21:30
Pics are here: NetNotWorking - Network Not Working? (http://www.netnotworking.com)

texdiveguy
11-28-2007, 21:35
Pics are here: NetNotWorking - Network Not Working? (http://www.netnotworking.com)

Hey thanks...nice photos!!

Dark Wolf
11-28-2007, 22:00
I am no professional, that is for sure. But they are getting better than they were! I am glad that you liked them. Thanks.

DW

texdiveguy
11-28-2007, 23:46
I am no professional, that is for sure. But they are getting better than they were! I am glad that you liked them. Thanks.

DW

DW...you have done well....I am dangerous with the simplest of land camera let alone an u/w unit--lol.....I admire folks whom have the talent to take u/w pictures and video.

Dark Wolf
11-29-2007, 16:20
Thanks tex, I appreciate it. Hopefully they will get better with more practice!