PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day

Scuba_Steve
07-22-2007, 16:07
Ok so I go diving today at Alexander Springs and I lost my mask and snorkelgetting out of the water today. Some jerkey swiped it and wasnt decent enough to let someone know they dropped their gear.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>No biggie I guess stuff happens. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Then I decide to go down to divers direct and buy a bunch of stuff and I wanted to see if they would price match some stuff that I had found online (it is always good to support local business' when they are willing to help you out as well.) </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Basically he told me the stuff I wanted wasnt that great and that he really didnt have stock on the other stuff and was pretty much rude and didnt sound like he wanted my business. I was gonna lay down at least 1000.00 and he said to just buy my stuff online but that they wouldnt service my gear. I guess in the tourist capitol of the work here in orlando they get enough business they dont need us local people to stay alive.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I was looking at a Mares Abyss 22 reg and rebel octo along with the Mares Rebel Octo and M2 RGBM dive computer.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What do you guys think of my selections for gear?</DIV>

tc_rain
07-22-2007, 19:20
Don't know about the equipment but I can say I wouldn't buy a bottle of mask defog from a guy like that.

ScubaToys Larry
07-22-2007, 19:23
I've had an abyss for years, and love them... an octo... who cares. When someone is out of air they are normally not that picky. The computer is on the conservative side compared to the oceanic or aeris - so that is just a personal decision.

On another note - that stuff should not run you a grand! If you want to shout at Joe on Monday, he can work up a package price for you.

Scuba_Steve
07-22-2007, 19:42
I left a couple of things out but yea Im gonna call up tommorow to see what I can get and the total was around 890
<DIV></DIV>

Scuba_Steve
07-22-2007, 20:27
I will call them and complain tommorow. I even told the guy I wanted to buy stuff and get it in town today; he told me that some of the stuff that they carry doesnt match up to what others sell and thats where they get you on the price matching since they dont carrry alot of the same stuff. then he told me that their package deals is giving 5 percent which covers tax and anything I bought online would end up being more since I would have to pay for shipping.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I will gladly pay shipping on anything i get if I get a good deal and it is what I want when local dealers wont do me right. </DIV>

Rascal1933
07-22-2007, 22:02
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I would not spend a dime with those jerks!</DIV>
<DIV>Sorry it may have just been the guy at that you talked to...But I would</DIV>
<DIV>Give Joe a call at Scuba Toy's &gt; they will do you right, and hook you up with some gear.</DIV>

Scuba_Steve
07-24-2007, 20:02
I called Divers direct and they gave me an email address for me to send them the complaint. I guess they dont have a number for customer service.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I will send them an email and let you guys know where I get.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>On the flip side I bought an Aeris Atmos AI with QD and compass, a mares Abyss reg, a mares octo, a regbag and a couple of little bitsonline with 2 day shipping at just under 950</DIV>

JahJahwarrior
07-24-2007, 22:08
Alexander in the ocala national forest? Just dove there a week ago, nice, fun little dive. sorry to hear about your mask, really am. Had some vultures eat one of mine at another spring once.....bummed me out. Can't even file a police report then :)

Scuba_Steve
07-24-2007, 22:41
Ya in the Ocala National Forest. It is a fun dive. I found a 67mb pdfon all of the springs in fl. It gives the depths alkaline levels etc for all of the springs and also has pictures. :)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We heard that there is some places around here that is free and a little deeper than alexander. With 400 or so springs its gonna be hard to find. We are hopefully going to get more information on it from the person that told the person this week.</DIV>

Scuba_Steve
08-02-2007, 06:56
Update

I sent the email to Divers Direct and waited until Tuesday to give them a call and check on the progress of the email. I got a call back a couple of hours later from a Regional Rep or Store Manager from the 954 area code so I am assuming that they were from SFLA. Anywho the nice lady Trish I believe told me that she was very sorry with the way that I was treated and that was not the way that they do buisiness. She said that she would try to find out who it was that I was speaking to since I new the times and dates.

She also said she knew I already bought the stuff I wanted but she was going to send me a 50.00 credit of somesort to spend in their store or online.

I appreciate her sincerity and the fact that she said she was going to talk to this guy about the situation. Plus the 50 bucks doesnt hurt.

All in All in ended up ok; I got stuff way cheaper from an online shop by calling them up; it was cheaper than any advertised prices out there. And I also got a decent response from a dive shop that they actually support us and the sport.

I took my new regs out to alexander this past weekend and it was great. The mares Abyss worked like a charm and the breathiing was nice a smooth. :)

We also just started a dive club here in the Lake Mary fl area and are going to try and dive at least once a month either in the springs, or open water.

tremtech
08-02-2007, 07:15
Scuba Steve if your looking for a deeper dive and you have the certs the Blue Grotto was about 99 feet deep the last time I dove it (rain levels effect the depth). here is a link that will get you rolling http://www.floridacaves.com/bgrotto.htm

tremtech
08-02-2007, 07:20
Here is the Official web site http://www.divebluegrotto.com/

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 08:18
Glad it worked out for you. It's disappointing that a lot of LDS' have attitudes liked that. The only way to change them though is to go to the places that don't.

Hope you ultimately enjoy your purchases :)

BSea
08-02-2007, 08:27
Scuba Steve if your looking for a deeper dive and you have the certs the Blue Grotto was about 99 feet deep the last time I dove it (rain levels effect the depth). here is a link that will get you rolling http://www.floridacaves.com/bgrotto.htm

If you want something in between the 2, Try Devil's Den, or drive up to Troy. Troy is a state park, and since you live in FL, I'd assume you probably buy the annual pass. Devil's Den & Blue Grotto are commercial sites.

Scuba_Steve
08-02-2007, 09:49
Thanks Guys this site rocks!!!

We were just talking about devils den and blue grotto I Has never heard of troy. Some people in our group are tired of springs, and the such. We have alot of dives planned that are comming up. This weekend I wont be able to make the dives in the key's three two tank dives and one of those is a night dive but I will miss all of them as I have to work my butt off.

Sept 9th we are hitting Epcot if anyone is interested and we will also

Scuba_Steve
08-02-2007, 09:50
Glad it worked out for you. It's disappointing that a lot of LDS' have attitudes liked that. The only way to change them though is to go to the places that don't.

Hope you ultimately enjoy your purchases :)

I love them already.

No Misses
08-02-2007, 10:59
Scuba Steve, It looks like we are diving similar rigs. I have been using the Mares Abyss MR22 and the Aeris Atmos AI for 4-5 yrs. They are both great. Roughly one year into the life of the AI the screen started to fade to the point where I could not read the display. I shipped it to Aeris and they replaced it on the spot. No complaints.

Happy Diving, C U on the water :-)

Scuba_Steve
08-10-2007, 14:04
Scuba Steve, It looks like we are diving similar rigs. I have been using the Mares Abyss MR22 and the Aeris Atmos AI for 4-5 yrs. They are both great. Roughly one year into the life of the AI the screen started to fade to the point where I could not read the display. I shipped it to Aeris and they replaced it on the spot. No complaints.

Happy Diving, C U on the water :-)

Thats good to know that they stand behind their gear. Ill be diving in FTL soon hopfefully. Im originally from SFL.

torrey
08-10-2007, 14:30

That looks pretty cool. I wish we had stuff like that in Texas.

JahJahwarrior
08-10-2007, 19:14
Tired of springs?!? There are so many springs you can dive! Royal Spring is near Troy, and I can give you good directions. It's about 50 feet deep, murky onthe surface but decent on the bottom if you are careful to not touch it. And, it's free!

Troy, Manatee, Devils' Den, Blue Grotto, Hudson Grotto, Royal.....lots of good dives!

Defman
08-10-2007, 22:46
I've had an abyss for years, and love them... an octo... who cares. When someone is out of air they are normally not that picky.

I've been diving an Abyss that Larry sold me 6 years ago, absolutely love it. However, he hit a little below the belt on that trip to the store when he handed me his well worn Zeagle Ranger for a test fit.... $1500 later I walked out with a Ranger, Abyss, Apollo fins, Parkway titanium suit, and some other goodies.

On the bright side, took it all to The Dominican Republic for trip a few weeks later... It was all worth it when the cute little dive masterette's first words were, "Wow, you've got really nice gear!"

ahhhh, the good old days.....

dmdoss
08-10-2007, 22:55
In april I was out, and somebody swiped my fins between dives.

Scuba_Steve
08-10-2007, 23:00
I've had an abyss for years, and love them... an octo... who cares. When someone is out of air they are normally not that picky.

I've been diving an Abyss that Larry sold me 6 years ago, absolutely love it. However, he hit a little below the belt on that trip to the store when he handed me his well worn Zeagle Ranger for a test fit.... $1500 later I walked out with a Ranger, Abyss, Apollo fins, Parkway titanium suit, and some other goodies.

On the bright side, took it all to The Dominican Republic for trip a few weeks later... It was all worth it when the cute little dive masterette's first words were, "Wow, you've got really nice gear!"

Im hoping that you at least got her number?

Defman
08-13-2007, 15:33

Im hoping that you at least got her number?

Yeah, we hung out while I was there.... traded a few emails afterwards. I think she moved back to Turkey.