PDA

View Full Version : dry snorkels

mcc2318
11-25-2007, 19:48
whats the best snorkel and why

texdiveguy
11-25-2007, 20:20

I rarely carry a snorkel....as in 99.5% of the time....the very few times I have, I use an Oceanic Semi-Dry fold up model.

tedwhiteva
11-25-2007, 20:26

Best snorkle - the one in your gear bag. So you won't grab it when you're looking for your BC inflator:smilie40:

Soonerwink
11-25-2007, 21:33
The cheapest you can get. You will probably only use it during classes and when you are actually snorkeling. I do prefer one with a purge valve on it though.

Daved
11-25-2007, 21:44
For some reason I use my snorkel--long swims to drop-offs--waiting for buddy to get in. It is an easy way for an air pig to conserve a little. I prefer a bottom purge with a semi protected top.

scubasavvy
11-25-2007, 21:57
The Oceanic pocket snorkel. After you're done with it, yank it off the side of your head, fold it up and put it right in your BC pocket.

texdiveguy
11-25-2007, 22:12
The Oceanic pocket snorkel. After you're done with it, yank it off the side of your head, fold it up and put it right in your BC pocket.

Yea, thats the one thats in my dive bag I mentioned....its a nice design though. :)

Steve Scuba
11-25-2007, 22:29
Something to think about: how the snorkel attaches to your mask strap. Whether you plan on wearing it all the time or not, how it attaches can be important. Many a diver apparently ends up losing a snorkel because of that little attachment piece that looks like a rounded rectangle with a slot in the side. I recommend purchasing a $3.00 quick release to go with whatever snorkel you buy. It makes it easy to detach from the mask, but holds much more securely that that dang OEM clip.

Scuba Steve
11-26-2007, 01:43
Something to think about: how the snorkel attaches to your mask strap. Whether you plan on wearing it all the time or not, how it attaches can be important. Many a diver apparently ends up losing a snorkel because of that little attachment piece that looks like a rounded rectangle with a slot in the side. I recommend purchasing a $3.00 quick release to go with whatever snorkel you buy. It makes it easy to detach from the mask, but holds much more securely that that dang OEM clip.

Words of wisdom... I just lost my snorkel because my OEM clip broke. The quick release clip is definately a must buy. It's much more durable.

And Steve Scuba, great choice of name...!

navyhmc
11-26-2007, 02:46
I still use an old fashioned straight snorkel and the little figure eight type holder. Never had a problem yet.

I use ot sometimes to surface swim to the starting point as others have said and then when there's something to see while on the surface. If not, I just roll over on my back and paddle along.

Silverlode
11-26-2007, 02:58

Where can I find the quick release? I have a tusa foldable platina II, hydradry or something like that.

mcc2318
11-26-2007, 12:23
Yeah were are these quick release